• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Screw the poor, get rich

Re: A modest proposal

I have an idea -- the government should assign each and every one of us a babysitter to guide us through this dangerous world of uncertainties. That babysitter can tell us when an act we are contemplating is a bad idea.

It's not about government baby sitters. It's about protecting poor gullible people who are susceptible to phony ad blitzs on TV and other places and forming a new government department that checks out products before they are sold. Consumer magazines would be good examples to follow.

Does the product do the things the seller advertises is the issue, nothing else.
If that's not simple enough for your complex mind, I'll illustrate it with stick figures.

ricksfolly

It's not about government baby sitters. It's about protecting poor gullible people who are susceptible to phony ad blitzs on TV and other places and forming a new government department that checks out products before they are sold. Consumer magazines would be good examples to follow.
Actually yeah, it is about government babysitters. You seem to think that people need them.
Does the product do the things the seller advertises is the issue, nothing else.
There are already federal and state organs that police this. Google it.
If that's not simple enough for your complex mind, I'll illustrate it with stick figures.
No need; your premise was easy enough to shoot down without your childish drawings.

The poor trust, the rich take advantage of their gullibility, and the government doesn't care. That's the formula for all self-made men to get rich today.

If the government would force all TV adds to prove their products, there would be far less rich people and more money in poor people's pockets to spend on things they really need, and the recession would mysteriously end.

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is really a license to steal.

ricksfolly

If people took it upon theirselves to invest, spend and budget wisely with THEIR hardearned money they they wouldn't be gulled right out of it.

:shrug:

So - the ignorant and uninformed trust and those who have no heart take advantage of them. . .or those who covet take from those who have.
It's not a 'poor' vs 'not poor' thing at all.

I agree. All gambling should be stopped, including race tracks, sports, and other games. Far too many get the bug and end up with nothing, many losing their houses and cars.

If they can't be stopped, they should at least limit bets to a dollar.

I won't say all poor people are victims of the rich, but they're all gullible with blind trust, and that's raw meat for unprincipled schemers.

Like it or not PT Barnum is still right today, except it should be...

"A sucker is born every millisecond."

ricksfolly

you're not discussing poor people, you are discussing uneducated people, and let's face it, stupid people. plenty of rich stupid people as well. "poor" is not a mental condition.

ricksfolly

Govt doesn't need to do any more than it does with the BBB, there are already places people can look and research if a product does what it says it does. It is incumbant upon the consumer to determine if a product or service is worth their money.

But, in the words of PT Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute." Not really the govt's job to babysit them.

you're not discussing poor people, you are discussing uneducated people, and let's face it, stupid people. plenty of rich stupid people as well. "poor" is not a mental condition.
Do you mean to tell me that Paris Hilton is not a genius???

Explain the existence of state lotteries that openly state the odds of the game, yet most of it's participants are poor.

Poor people aren't the way they are because rich people are rich.

I completely agree. Most people are poor because they were raised by ineffective parents or parents that spent their childs lives trying to make them happy instead of teaching values. Some have never had those values multigenerationally. Oh...sure...some are oppressed...lets blame that all on rich people. But MOST? Bull****. Most poor people...if they are being honest...are responsible for their own failings. The nice part about being honest about that is you can make decisions and change that...overcome that. People do it everyday. Not most though. Most sit around whining about how it is all someone elses fault and there isnt anything they can do it about it.

Do you mean to tell me that Paris Hilton is not a genius???

Au contraire! No talent...no skills...and she is on clothing, purses, TV shows, the internet...she has ridden that...ummm...horse...for all its worth. Dont tell me she isnt a genius. even evil mad twisted diabolical geniuses are still 'geniuses'.

And thats hot...

Au contraire! No talent...no skills...and she is on clothing, purses, TV shows, the internet...she has ridden that...ummm...horse...for all its worth. Dont tell me she isnt a genius. even evil mad twisted diabolical geniuses are still 'geniuses'.

And thats hot...
Hmm, I was under the impression that stupid = poor, based on the OP. :shrug:

lmao........prolly not. keanu reeves is, though. ;-)

Well he is the one
neo.jpg

Actually yeah, it is about government babysitters. You seem to think that people need them.There are already federal and state organs that police this. Google it.

If so, they're not doing their jobs. The same old $9.99 and $19.99 scams are still out there on TV and in newspapers, and the gullible suckers are keeping them alive. That twenty dollars will keep a poor family in food for two days.

But those are peanuts compared to the solar panel scam. There's absolutely no way to adapt DC to AC circuit breakers, even with an inverter, and the fable about meters running backward would be laughable if it wasn't for the obvious collusion with power companies.

ricksfolly

If so, they're not doing their jobs. The same old $9.99 and $19.99 scams are still out there on TV and in newspapers, and the gullible suckers are keeping them alive. That twenty dollars will keep a poor family in food for two days.

But those are peanuts compared to the solar panel scam. There's absolutely no way to adapt DC to AC circuit breakers, even with an inverter, and the fable about meters running backward would be laughable if it wasn't for the obvious collusion with power companies.

ricksfolly

The whistle won't be blown until *someone* blows it. . . People have to step up and go through the proper steps to ensure truth and quality. . . it happens all the time but it's a time consuming and multi-faceted process. If you want to make your case you have to gather evidence and prove your case. . . if you're not satisfied - it's within their obligation to refund your money. It's just that simple.

Ignorance costs a lot - knowledge saves a lot.

If someone is wanting to go solar they need to understand everything about it before they dive into the process and product market. Such things cannot be taken on lightly - if someone doesn't understand everything then they can't blame someone else for their lack of personal give-a-damn and accountability.

You can't blame others for someone's lack of financial-stability when it comes to their income/money management. If someone chooses to buy a $20.00 or $10.00 product - TV or in the store - instead of milk and bread - then that's their personal choice.

If people took it upon theirselves to invest, spend and budget wisely with THEIR hardearned money they they wouldn't be gulled right out of it.

That's just the problem. Most poor people don't have that kind of education or experience so they're forced to trust someone they don't know.

ricksfolly

So what makes you think more government is the answer?

That's just the problem. Most poor people don't have that kind of education or experience so they're forced to trust someone they don't know.

ricksfolly

No - education is not blocked from anyone.
Education is free - you can, for free, no matter what your immigration, gender, marital (or parental I should say) and so on status attend public school and/or college and earn a decent education.

Students are encouraged to stay in school, study hard, do well, learn as much as possible, go to attendants and staff for help with family and other issues - the government/state bends over backwards to help as many students as possible.

When they get older and deal with *more* peer pressure and other issues like drugs, too much freedom and a lack of concern for their future - and even fall off the path completely - there are other programs to help them there as well, and get them back on track.

If those programs fail and those students find themselves in juvenile detention or boot camp there are still, yet, MORE government and state programs to help put them back on track. . . but people have to want to take advantage of all these things.

If that doesn't work then there are still more - and more programs and methods of helping people try to get their life back together which includes counseling, various work-education programs such as Crossroads and so on. But people have to want to take advantage, want to learn, want to be better and want to know more.

In this country where you can live your entire life *with* food in your belly, shelter over your head, transportation, healthcare, free edcuation and clothes on your back *all* without having to pay out of pocket or work at all during your educational years - don't, in this country, sit there and tell me that "Most poor people don't have that kind of education or experience."

There's absolutely no excuse - at all - for someone go their entire life in *this* country without getting an average education EXCEPT for when they've made their own personal choices NOT to do so.

Anyone who's considered 'poor' is given access to various programs to suit all needs including introduction to computers/internet - which helps them learn how to use search engines to find info, write resumes, search for jobs, apply . . . and so on.

People CHOOSE to not pay attention in school and learn.
Students, when they turn 18, CHOOSE to drop out - it's their right.
And many of those same students CHOOSE to go back to school later in life when they realize their lives could be better.
But then there are many people who just CHOOSE not to be educated, successful and ignorant - and they decide they're fine with that.

There isn't a single person I know who *has* money to spend by way of a *job* of some type who *also* cannot type on a computer, have access to various forms of information.

But - trust me - I worked as a sales-rep for online marketing for a while, took the order-calls that came in - and most people who were suckered out of their money did so with the use of a credit card and access to tele/cellphone . . . and even the internet.

So with all that these gullible people *do* have at their disposal - don't lump these money-wasting idiots in the category with poor children born and raised in the projects because their parents didn't do something *more* with their life.

I've been suckered in, myself, into product schemes and other bits of crap - I'm not uneducated OR poor - and I'm still stupid with my money sometimes (which is why I'm in such DEBT via credit-cards)

There are countless very intelligent, crafty and capable POOR people - and you know what they do with their lives? They becomes *something* and STOP BEING POOR because they have more money sense than I do. . . or they just have a bigger vision for their future than I had.

I was being sarcastic in a post earlier. I dislike the idea of people demonizing the rich and thinking they owe the poor something for nothing. People with money are the ones who provide jobs. If not done through people they hire , it's done through money they spend. I've never worked for a poor person, have you?
I have what I need, and I share when I can. I like the simple life. However, if I had wanted to bust my butt all my life to be able to have a bunch of luxuries, then that is my right and my luxuries. I'm not entitled to someone else's wealth. I also don't want government telling me what to do. If I want to buy a lottery ticket or bet on the horses, that's my choice.

Oh... Your sarcasm was lost on me and I did not get it.

Have I ever worked for a poor person? What I would deem poor? Yes. More poor than me? No.

Oh... Your sarcasm was lost on me and I did not get it.

Have I ever worked for a poor person? What I would deem poor? Yes. More poor than me? No.

I wouldn't know about 'working for poor people' because I don't busy myself with one's lifestyle when they're my management. . . they could eb living in a box for all I know - they are boss and that's that.

:)

But I've had older, more educated and far more well-off people work for me - especially when I was a parttime assistant manage/single Mom on gov-support.

No - education is not blocked from anyone.
Education is free - you can, for free, no matter what your immigration, gender, marital (or parental I should say) and so on status attend public school and/or college and earn a decent education.
Hell, a library card is free. There have been a ton of people down through to the present day who have had little to no formal schooling and become more successful than any of us here on this forum.

The biggest hurdle most people have to overcome before they are really, really successful is fear (myself included).

ricksfolly

If someone is poor because they are too dumb to handle money, there are remedies for that. They can give power of attorney (I think that's what it's called) to a friend or relative who they trust. That person handles all the bills, and makes sure the person won't be scammed on solar panels or $10 worthless gadgets. You don't impose stupid laws and regulations on everyone just because a few are incapable of handling money.

I wouldn't know about 'working for poor people' because I don't busy myself with one's lifestyle when they're my management. . . they could eb living in a box for all I know - they are boss and that's that.

:)

But I've had older, more educated and far more well-off people work for me - especially when I was a parttime assistant manage/single Mom on gov-support.

Sorry Kali and Aunt Spiker. I guess we live in different worlds. Where I come from, it's the people with money who writes the paychecks for a working person. How would a "poor" person be able to do that.
I don't even remember what I was replying to, but it was probably someone demonizing the wealthy again.

Sorry Kali and Aunt Spiker. I guess we live in different worlds. Where I come from, it's the people with money who writes the paychecks for a working person. How would a "poor" person be able to do that.
I don't even remember what I was replying to, but it was probably someone demonizing the wealthy again.

You can work for a company and make $8.00/hour being boss. . . writing everyone's paychecks.
Or you can run a business and your business-costs, employee pay, insurance and other fees and so on to just keep it running leaves you with a minimal takehome pay (for a Gallery I worked at my boss's take-home was just $5,000 more than mine - by *no* means remotely 'rich' - or even upper-middle class)

I never liked screwing the poor because they're smelly. :nails

Back
Top Bottom