• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ruble collapses on Thursday morning, Russian stock exchange suspends trades

The U.S. imports 7% of it’s oil from Russia. Not nothing. Not a lot more than nothing, either. We can make up the loss from other sources much easier than the UK/EU.

One bright spot for Putin is that his citizens are already used to a poor economy/quality of life compared with the UK/EU. That conditioning will probably come in handy as his insane attack on a neighbor country continues.

Not pertinent.

While we’ve been discussing how sanctions will ffect Putin/Russians, have you given much thought to other significant challenges his insanity will bring, like how he will manage the occupation of Ukraine? The costs/complications of logistics? Securing Ukrainian civilians? Establishing a “government”? Putting down resistance from Ukrainian civilians? Preventing the media from reporting facts? Overcoming virtually worldwide condemnation and rejection and more?

As one talking head I heard recently say, “what’s the dog gonna do once it’s caught the bus”?
Look at where titanium comes from

Food wise Russia can produce what they need, nearly everything else they can buy from Asia. The raw materials Russia sells to Europe or the US can be redirected to Asia as well. Russia won’t collapse, and over time it will be stronger. 10 years ago it was importing wheat, now it is if I recall correctly it is the largest exporter.
If I recall a long time ago in a russia galaxy far far away there was a putin who relied on apples being imported, but sanctions and trade issues restricted the imports.

Putin decided if he could not import enough apples he would import apple seeds, and went to growing them. It shows the mentality of the russian economy, if they can not easily buy it they will produce it, in massive numbers. The russians have for years expected the west was going to use trade to try to get russia to bow down to the west, russia on the other hand under putin took a move to self reliance in defiance of what the west had planned.

Lithium is where it's at. We have that here.

Lithium is abundant, but much of our modern tech outside of batteries relies on rare earth materials almost entirely located in russia and china. Titanium used for space exploration and aircraft as well as industry is mostly from russia, russia also holds a very large chunk of the worlds aluminum.

If you have not pieced it together russia holds a large amount of what we as a modern society need, lithium on the other hand the modern world did fine without until not too long ago, but titanium aluminum and many rare earth metals have made modern tech viable.

Lithium is abundant, but much of our modern tech outside of batteries relies on rare earth materials almost entirely located in russia and china. Titanium used for space exploration and aircraft as well as industry is mostly from russia, russia also holds a very large chunk of the worlds aluminum.

If you have not pieced it together russia holds a large amount of what we as a modern society need, lithium on the other hand the modern world did fine without until not too long ago, but titanium aluminum and many rare earth metals have made modern tech viable.
Yes, Russia has large titanium reserves. My point, which I didn't make clear, is that different parts of the world (and country) have advantages in different resources. Without our technology (the West and China), Russia's resources are worthless. The Russian oligarchy is not based on world technological superiority. The communists did a better job.

No one, especially Russia, is in a position to hold the world hostage over a mineral advantage. We will adapt. They will suffer.

The russians have for years expected the west was going to use trade to try to get russia to bow down to the west, russia on the other hand under putin took a move to self reliance in defiance of what the west had planned.
Russian citizens had no say/involvement in Putin’s planning. Like the Ukrainian’s, they are innocent victims.

P.S. - **** Putin.

Buy some rubles now while they are low and sell them when they rise again for a little profit, never let a crisis go to waste
Not for any amount of profit.

If it were up to me, not so much as a box of screws would flow in to or out of that country until Putin steps down.

One bright spot for Putin is that his citizens are already used to a poor economy/quality of life compared with the UK/EU.

You may want to compare quality of life in Russia since the 2000's to present day with quality of life in Russia 1993.
The entire free world is never going to look at Russia as a good investment ever again...not after this.
They ****ing shelled a nuke waste facility at Pripyat FFS...think about what that means to EU countries.

1645765051044.png

Not for any amount of profit.

If it were up to me, not so much as a box of screws would flow in to or out of that country until Putin steps down.
It is a speculative investment and does carry risk, it all depends on what you buy them for verses selling them

It is a speculative investment and does carry risk, it all depends on what you buy them for verses selling them
I guess "not for any amount of profit" was too complex for you. Never mind. Have a good evening.

And then complain how the dems never let a good crisis go to waste. Is everything about money to republicans?
That's a rhetorical question, isn't it?

I guess "not for any amount of profit" was too complex for you. Never mind. Have a good evening.
the profit depends on when you buy and when you sell

The facts do not exactly agree with your assertions. Japan produces more Titanium than Russia. Yet you failed to say that in fact, you asserted a lie. The US is number 9 in the Aluminum production market. Those numbers could be increased. Stop the doomsayer crap.

the profit depends on when you buy and when you sell
Let me clarify, I wasn't very clear: I would not do this for any amount of money. I will not financially support anything to do with Russia.

Sorry. Can't have that. Lithium mines cause environmental damage.
This one won't.

The plan was revised in December of 2020 to make corrections requested by the BLM and Nevada Department of Environmental Protection.

...An open pit is proposed with the remediation objective of back filling the hole.

In the ROD, the BLM concluded the mine will pose no significant impact.

“Alternative A is not anticipated to affect any threatened or endangered species or significant scientific, cultural or historical resources, as these resources are either not present or the effects will be mitigated.”

I say America First. Nevada First (and only.)

In July of 2020, Tim Crowley, vice president of government and community relations for Lithium Nevada, gave a presentation on the Thacker Pass project to the Legislative Committee on Energy. Crowley said the mine will be able to meet all US lithium demand and enable the US to become a net exporter of the mineral largely used in rechargeable batteries.

“We have a very special deposit. It’s one of the biggest on the planet,” Cowley told lawmakers during the online meeting. “The mine life is long. We can say with certainty it’s at least 40 years long and we can say with some high probability that it will go far beyond that.”

Resources extracted cleanly used for renewable energy and 40 years of jobs. Who doesn't like that?

The Russian ruble collapsed on Thursday morning after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a military operation in Ukraine, local media reported...

...Russian Stock Exchange has suspended trade on all markets after collapsing about 10 per cent immediately after it opened.

A couple paragraphs in between showing the exchange rates.

Looks like the sanctions are already working.
I read that the Russian billionaires lost 39 billion in one day.

And then complain how the dems never let a good crisis go to waste. Is everything about money to republicans?
Ask Pelosi, the Clintons, and Obama who all got wealthy through politics.

I read that the Russian billionaires lost 39 billion in one day.

73975e82-7f1d-493e-98dd-102d088d5b7a_text.gif

The facts do not exactly agree with your assertions. Japan produces more Titanium than Russia. Yet you failed to say that in fact, you asserted a lie. The US is number 9 in the Aluminum production market. Those numbers could be increased. Stop the doomsayer crap.
It is not doomsayer crap it is reality, and also I dod not know japan upped titanium production, because for many years it was russia and africa being pretty much the only major suppliers, so much that the sr-71 relied on the soviet union for tianium, through a fake company to buy titanium from the soviets to ship to the united states.

United states being number 9 does not mean much, when the world is using aluminum more and more by the year, infact china has vastly increased production, being the largest seller, followed by india which barely beat russia then russia, the united states would have to more than triple aluminum production to match russia.

This also still leaves out the ones you avoid, fuel which the entirety of europe needs for it's economy to function, also russia is the largest exporter of wheat in the world. Russia is also one of the larger producers of copper, nickel, and platinum. Russia also holds around 6 times the amount of rare earth materials the united states does.

If you look at everything from high end chips to catalytic converters and high end weapons, things are moving more and more towards everything russia has, or china has, so from an economic standpoint sanctions are not going to do much to russia but rather hurt europe more than anything.

It is not doomsayer crap it is reality, and also I dod not know japan upped titanium production, because for many years it was russia and africa being pretty much the only major suppliers, so much that the sr-71 relied on the soviet union for tianium, through a fake company to buy titanium from the soviets to ship to the united states.

United states being number 9 does not mean much, when the world is using aluminum more and more by the year, infact china has vastly increased production, being the largest seller, followed by india which barely beat russia then russia, the united states would have to more than triple aluminum production to match russia.

This also still leaves out the ones you avoid, fuel which the entirety of europe needs for it's economy to function, also russia is the largest exporter of wheat in the world. Russia is also one of the larger producers of copper, nickel, and platinum. Russia also holds around 6 times the amount of rare earth materials the united states does.

If you look at everything from high end chips to catalytic converters and high end weapons, things are moving more and more towards everything russia has, or china has, so from an economic standpoint sanctions are not going to do much to russia but rather hurt europe more than anything.
No one is avoiding anything. Like your doomsayer crap I'm not avoiding that. I mean the US as we speak is working on recreating the rare earth supply chain that we used to have. That will take a while until then we have allies that we can buy from instead of China or Russia.

But to listen to you it's all doom and gloom.

Back
Top Bottom