• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roy Moore, Alabama Judge, Suspended Over Gay Marriage Stance

Remove him from his position, as well as any other bigots that don't want to uphold the law of the land that they swore to uphold.

Remove him from his position, as well as any other bigots that don't want to uphold the law of the land that they swore to uphold.

When that happens, rebellion is justified. Ultimately you'll get worse from Islam. Islam is God's judgement against a nation that insist on remaking Sodom and Gomorrah. Jerry Falwell, Sr. was right.

Last edited:
Anyone who can't be trusted to separate their religious beliefs from their secular government work can't be trusted to do anything.

I appreciate the sentiment - but have to disagree.

For instance - I know a fellow who used to work for the state government, and found too much conflict between his evengelical, conservative, 'Christian' beliefs and the acts of the department he worked for. He was always butting heads with his supervisors. Eventually he left, and made his hobby into a job. He's a motorcycle mechanic and restorer. He restored one of my vintage Hondas. He's excellent. His inability to reconcile his religious beliefs and his work in state govt. absolutely DO NO mean that he can't be trusted with a motorcycle. There are few I'd trust more.

Raging hyperbole seldom serves to further a discussion.

Hopefully it's not possible. Moore's a complete idiot but the people have an absolute right to elect any complete idiot that they want to.

Yup. And the professional oversight groups have not only the right, but the responsibility, to call his idiocy into question - and sanction him for it. Same as the U.S. Justice Department might have responsibilities in the matter. Freedom of speech and Freedom of religion are often understood poorly, and too broadly. There's nothing to protect us from the legal and professional consequences of our poor decisions... no matter how heartfelt, or popular in our neighborhood.

I appreciate the sentiment - but have to disagree.

For instance - I know a fellow who used to work for the state government, and found too much conflict between his evengelical, conservative, 'Christian' beliefs and the acts of the department he worked for. He was always butting heads with his supervisors. Eventually he left, and made his hobby into a job. He's a motorcycle mechanic and restorer. He restored one of my vintage Hondas. He's excellent. His inability to reconcile his religious beliefs and his work in state govt. absolutely DO NO mean that he can't be trusted with a motorcycle. There are few I'd trust more.

Raging hyperbole seldom serves to further a discussion.

Then he left. Good for him. But people like Kim Davis and this judge are not realizing that there is a gulf between what they believe and what they do, they are insisting that, even though their jobs require them to act in a way contrary to their beliefs, they are going to insist that their beliefs are more important than their jobs and screw the law, they are more important.

But they are wrong and this judge just found that out for a second time as he was suspended from his job and deservedly so.

But in your friend's case, I don't know if that's true necessarily. What happens if someone is a complete religious fanatic who believes that God will fix everything and all he has to do to fix a motorcycle is pray over it? How long do you think he'll be in business?

Interesting: When it's the left "Four Dead In Ohio" is a great tragedy. When the Federal government want to put its boot on the neck of a state, hundreds dead would be A-OK. Of course there one difference between this and Brown. Unseating an elected official re-elected numerous time by his constituents.

Yes, oppressing a state's right to oppress the rights of its citizens is more acceptable.

Yes, oppressing a state's right to oppress the rights of its citizens is more acceptable.

So where does it end? Should the United Nations suppress a country that's not acting in a "socially responsible" manner?

So where does it end? Should the United Nations suppress a country that's not acting in a "socially responsible" manner?

I'm comfortable with international suppression of slavery, genocide, etc, yes.

I'm comfortable with international suppression of slavery, genocide, etc, yes.

Then who defines those terms? Fidel Castro?

When that happens, rebellion is justified. Ultimately you'll get worse from Islam. Islam is God's judgement against a nation that insist on remaking Sodom and Gomorrah. Jerry Falwell, Sr. was right.

So you're saying God caused 9/11 because we allow gays to exist?

Then he left. Good for him. But people like Kim Davis and this judge are not realizing that there is a gulf between what they believe and what they do, they are insisting that, even though their jobs require them to act in a way contrary to their beliefs, they are going to insist that their beliefs are more important than their jobs and screw the law, they are more important.

But they are wrong and this judge just found that out for a second time as he was suspended from his job and deservedly so.

But in your friend's case, I don't know if that's true necessarily. What happens if someone is a complete religious fanatic who believes that God will fix everything and all he has to do to fix a motorcycle is pray over it? How long do you think he'll be in business?

Agree, mostly.

I was simply pointing out to Cephus that an inability to understand and reconcile the separation of Church & State did NOT mean that a person can't be trusted with ANYTHING. Which is what he stated, and which is going too far. I agree with you that someone with government duties who can't set aside their religious beliefs (if necessary) to do their job... doesn't belong on the job.

But you also go too far when you talk about a mechanic who can only pray over a machine to 'heal' it. Once of the nice things about many holy texts - including the Bible - is that there is a lot of material to work with. One can usually find scripture to suit the occasion and the purpose. In the case of his wrenching... I suspect he subscribes to the adage that 'God helps those who help themselves'. ;)

So you're saying God caused 9/11 because we allow gays to exist?

They existed in the 1950s, but we as a nation didn't condone it.

:roll:

The international community does.

The result of that is massive wealth redistribution. If there were a vote in Africa on the distribution of wealth being a form of genocide, what do you suppose the result would be?

The result of that is massive wealth redistribution. If there were a vote in Africa on the distribution of wealth being a form of genocide, what do you suppose the result would be?

.... is there a place you think "distribution of wealth" would be voted to be "a form of genocide?" I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

.... is there a place you think "distribution of wealth" would be voted to be "a form of genocide?" I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

When you get world government, it will be just a matter of time before you see wealth from North America be redistributed elsewhere.

When you get world government, it will be just a matter of time before you see wealth from North America be redistributed elsewhere.

I'm still not sure what you think this has to do with genocide.

When that happens, rebellion is justified.

Incorrect. What is justified is the removal of those who would discriminate.

Ultimately you'll get worse from Islam. Islam is God's judgement against a nation that insist on remaking Sodom and Gomorrah. Jerry Falwell, Sr. was right.

Jerry Falwell was an idiotic bigoted asshole. Nothing more.

I'm still not sure what you think this has to do with genocide.

An awareness of the Marxist version of vocabulary.

They existed in the 1950s, but we as a nation didn't condone it.

Its rather pointless talking with people who are so far detached from reality like yourself.

An awareness of the Marxist version of vocabulary.

There are no people that I'm aware of who equate "redistribution of wealth" and "genocide."

Except you.

Yup. And the professional oversight groups have not only the right, but the responsibility, to call his idiocy into question - and sanction him for it. Same as the U.S. Justice Department might have responsibilities in the matter. Freedom of speech and Freedom of religion are often understood poorly, and too broadly. There's nothing to protect us from the legal and professional consequences of our poor decisions... no matter how heartfelt, or popular in our neighborhood.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom