• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rough times ahead for NATO?

Oh FFS...all this Russian/Putin boogieman stuff is ridiculous. We have more in common with Russia than we do with Turkey yet we have the latter in NATO and the former we are trying to rekindle the Cold War with, and have been for a long time.

Why is everyone always scared of Russia?

Because the Bear have been threatening to eat Western Europe for lunch for years.

Oh FFS...all this Russian/Putin boogieman stuff is ridiculous. We have more in common with Russia than we do with Turkey yet we have the latter in NATO and the former we are trying to rekindle the Cold War with, and have been for a long time.

Why is everyone always scared of Russia?

Russia has never won a war. But now take they have nukes, you never know.

Russia has never won a war. But now take they have nukes, you never know.

What do you mean they never won a war? They've been winners in both WWI and WWII.

Yup, Russia lost WW1, Germany knocked them out of the war by sending Lenin over by train.
Not to mention having whupped their army even before that. The German victories at Tannenberg and in the 1st and 2nd battles of the Masurian lakes (all in the first year of the war) effectively neutralized the Russian threat.

Not to mention having whupped their army even before that. The German victories at Tannenberg and in the 1st and 2nd battles of the Masurian lakes (all in the first year of the war) effectively neutralized the Russian threat.

No they did not, they could still have very easily overran Austria-Hungary if Germany did not reinforce them. They would have been in Vienna at the end of 1914 or early 1915. Do you know how big the Russian army was?

Last edited:
They would have won if they did not have a revolution. They pretty much kicked Austria's ass for almost the entire war.

No they did not, they could still have very easily overran Austria-Hungary if Germany did not reinforce them. They would have been in Vienna at the end of 1914 or early 1915. Do you know how big the Russian army was?
You might want to do some more research on that particular chapter of WWI.

Eastern Front

I think you should. They are doing videos on the Brusilov offensive right now, which just steamrolled the Austrians.
Yeah okay, you stick to believing what you want, I'll believe what I know.

FWIW the Russian war was not exclusively against Austria and gains in the Brusilov offensive were not decisive.

Yeah okay, you stick to believing what you want, I'll believe what I know.

FWIW the Russian war was not exclusively against Austria and gains in the Brusilov offensive were not decisive.

it was primarily against Austria and supports my claim that without German support Austria would have just collapsed. Without the revolution the Russians would not have been defeated. They still an absolutely massive army.

it was primarily against Austria and supports my claim that without German support Austria would have just collapsed. Without the revolution the Russians would not have been defeated. They still an absolutely massive army.
....which collapsed the following year, BEFORE the Bolsheviks took over.

In any case, that the Austro-Hungarian empire would have been a goner without German rescue is as little under dispute as it is the original topic in this exchange. The over-arching point here is that by the time the Kerenski government came into being (not to be confused with the Bolsheviks), Russia was done.

Perhaps not solely in the military sense but the lack of decisive success despite the vast financial resources pumped into the war effort led to what was basically economic collapse.

The war broke Russia well beyond any military considerations.

By end of 1916, with Bukarest having fallen, Southern Russia was extremely open to the middle powers already.

Back
Top Bottom