• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks [W:156,W:236]

Craven political attack or accurate criticism?

• Total voters
Re: Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks

Looks like you have also outed Charles Krauthamer, George Will, George Bush's top 3 security advisers, and a raft of other Conservatives who also criticized Mitt Romney for acting like a fool. You need to write them a letter, telling them to just be honest and engage in honest debate, like a Leebrrull should.

Thanx for playing, and by the way, thanx for putting a smile on my face today. I might not be able to sleep tonight, I am laughing so hard. :rofl

overcompensation - (psychiatry) an attempt to overcome a real or imagined defect or unwanted trait by overly exaggerating its opposite.:)

We may have freedom of speech, however, I see no problem with a US Embassy issuing a statement that the US does not condone the actions of those who are Anti Muslim. We should be promoting peace as a nation, not trying to start a holy war.
What I find funny is that the religious right in this country can dish it out but they can not take it. As soon as anyone says anyting even remotely anti christian, the religious right starts screaming oppression and how the US government is trying to take away their rights to worship.

The problem with the statement is that is shows a misunderstanding of Middle Eastern mindset. They understand and respect strength, they attack weakness.

No mention was made within the statement where the government may not condone the actions of those but because America is a free country, people can say and do as they like. It ran away from American values and stated nothing about defending American ideals---and thats one of the big ones.

People as individuals can say whatever they want. The islam radicals will use any pretext to riot and create chaos because thats the conditions they operate inder the best. After watching how the "Arab spring" unfolded over the last 2 years you would think Obama would be able to see how the dominos could fall with attacks on US embassies and consulates if just one is compromised.

Check this out, apparently parts of State and the White House were not happy with the Embassy statement either:
Inside the public relations disaster at the Cairo embassy | The Cable
One staffer at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo was responsible for the statement and tweets Tuesday that have become grist for the presidential campaign, and that staffer ignored explicit State Department instructions not to issue the statement, one U.S. official close to the issue told The Cable.

COMMENTS (296)SHARE:

Share on twitter Twitter

Share on reddit Reddit

More...

Two additional administration officials confirmed the details of this account when contacted late Wednesday by The Cable.

The statement, issued as a press release on the U.S. Embassy website, has been attacked by Republican challenger Mitt Romney, lawmakers, and conservatives around the country as an inappropriate "apology" and a failure to stand up for American principles such as freedom of speech.

The White House distanced itself from the statement Tuesday, and Romney criticized it directly in his initial reaction to the attacks in Egypt and Libya shortly thereafter, accusing President Barack Obama of evicing sympathy for the attackers.

On Wednesday, Romney doubled down on that criticism, saying, "I think it's a terrible course for America to apologize for our values."

President Obama commented on the controversy in an interview to be aired Wednesday evening on 60 Minutes.

"In an effort to cool the situation down, it didn't come from me, it didn't come from Secretary Clinton. It came from people on the ground who are potentially in danger," Obama said. "And my tendency is to cut folks a little bit of slack when they're in that circumstance, rather than try to question their judgment from the comfort of a campaign office."

But Obama's remarks belie the enormous frustration of top officials at the State Department and White House with the actions of the man behind the statement, Cairo senior public affairs officer Larry Schwartz, who wrote the release and oversees the embassy's Twitter feed, according to a detailed account of the Tuesday's events.

The official noted that the statement was posted at exactly 12:18 p.m. Cairo time -- 6:18 a.m. Washington time -- well before the protests began. Romney has said, wrongly, that the statement was the administration's first response to the protests, but the official said that the demonstrations did not begin until 4 p.m. Cairo time and protesters breached the wall about 2 hours later.

After the breach, as public criticism of the statement grew, the Cairo Embassy Twitter account continued to send out tweets defending it, some of which were later deleted. One deleted tweet, originally posted at 12:30 a.m. Cairo time, said, "This morning's condemnation (issued before protests began) still stands. As does condemnation of unjustified breach of the Embassy."

Before issuing the press release, Schwartz cleared it with just one person senior to himself, Deputy Chief of Mission Marc Sievers, who was the charge d'affaires at the embassy on Tuesday because Ambassador Anne Patterson was in Washington at the time, the official said.

Schwartz sent the statement to the State Department in Washington before publishing and the State Department directed him not to post it without changes, but Schwartz posted it anyway.

"The statement was not cleared with anyone in Washington. It was sent as ‘This is what we are putting out,'" the official said. "We replied and said this was not a good statement and that it needed major revisions. The next email we received from Embassy Cairo was ‘We just put this out.'"

A heated discussion ensued among State Department and White House officials over e-mail as the controversy over the statement grew Tuesday evening, even grabbing the attention of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Meanwhile, those same officials were dealing with a more serious attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that resulted in the death of four American officials, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

"People at the highest levels both at the State Department and at the White House were not happy with the way the statement went down. There was a lot of anger both about the process and the content," the official said. "Frankly, people here did not understand it. The statement was just tone deaf. It didn't provide adequate balance. We thought the references to the 9/11 attacks were inappropriate, and we strongly advised against the kind of language that talked about ‘continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.'"

This is out of context, because this is a case where a president sent our troops to the wrong war, based on lies. To Bush's credit, he finally kicked the Neocons out of his administration towards the end of his second term, but the damage was done. If not for Iraq, and a couple of other missteps, history may have regarded Bush as a decent president. But the bad overshadows the good, and the many good things that Bush DID do as president.

However, under Bush, there have also been many embassy bombings, and I will be the first to say that Bush did all he could to mitigate and limit the damage and deaths from those. There is only so much a president can do, and only a douche bag would attempt to pin all that on Bush.

Nice one, dude. First you excuse Obama because it's Bush...then you throw a bone to Bush.

LOL!!!

You sound quite inconsistent and quite hypocritical.

This is out of context, because this is a case where a president sent our troops to the wrong war, based on lies. To Bush's credit, he finally kicked the Neocons out of his administration towards the end of his second term, but the damage was done. If not for Iraq, and a couple of other missteps, history may have regarded Bush as a decent president. But the bad overshadows the good, and the many good things that Bush DID do as president.

However, under Bush, there have also been many embassy bombings, and I will be the first to say that Bush did all he could to mitigate and limit the damage and deaths from those. There is only so much a president can do, and only a douche bag would attempt to pin all that on Bush.

I think bush spent too much time in the skull and cross bones mosh pit but I think he was a decent guy, but he did have a cowboy mentality that made him make some bad decisions.

I said wishful thinking and I meant it.

Heck, your own man, Obama, shouldn't be President according to your thinking.

apples_and_oranges_10_04_21_photo.jpg

But nice try.

I think bush spent too much time in the skull and cross bones mosh pit but I think he was a decent guy, but he did have a cowboy mentality that made him make some bad decisions.

He was a great governor. He got lured to the dark side by the Neocons, and then when he realized it and kicked them out of his administration, it was too late. When he was governor of Texas, Bush was very pragmatic, and worked with the other side a lot. People tend to forget that because of what happened after he became president. I don't think history will be as harsh on Bush as some people think.

overcompensation - (psychiatry) an attempt to overcome a real or imagined defect or unwanted trait by overly exaggerating its opposite.:)

You are really stepping in it now. So, what about Romney's statement? Got anything to say, or do you want to just keep calling people names? Perhaps you have something to discuss that is pertinent here? Or maybe not? :rofl

Oh, and BTW, I'm not taking the bait. Nice try. :wink:

That the administration supports the terrorists. To be fair, you haven't said that, but this accusation has been flying all over the internet all day, including here, and almost all of the accusations are based on the quote where the relevant information was edited out.
Thank you for that.

You're so right...

It's so off base to point out Obama the candidate criticizing Bush for an attack on an occupying military force in the civil war zone in the wake of a regime change....

That's so far removed from Romney the candidate criticizing Obama for multiple attacks on multiple embassies in multiple countries that just had civil wars with regime changes...

Man do you know how to pick em... Next time I'm going produce shopping with you...

The problem with the statement is that is shows a misunderstanding of Middle Eastern mindset. They understand and respect strength, they attack weakness.

No mention was made within the statement where the government may not condone the actions of those but because America is a free country, people can say and do as they like. It ran away from American values and stated nothing about defending American ideals---and thats one of the big ones.

People as individuals can say whatever they want. The islam radicals will use any pretext to riot and create chaos because thats the conditions they operate inder the best. After watching how the "Arab spring" unfolded over the last 2 years you would think Obama would be able to see how the dominos could fall with attacks on US embassies and consulates if just one is compromised.

Check this out, apparently parts of State and the White House were not happy with the Embassy statement either:
Inside the public relations disaster at the Cairo embassy | The Cable

Oh, so you're an expert in middle eastern mind-set? First of all, each country has a different political ideology. Clearly the "going in with guns blazing" approach hasn't worked well for us in the middle east.
Also, the statement made by the Empassy in Egypt, word for word.
"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

The film that the protestors where rioting over was offensive to their religion, however, that was not the cause of the riot. The cause was that tweets had gone out that the film was a major movie released by Hollywood and it reflected the views of Americans being against Islam. Clearly, there are a number of people in this country who are abusing their freedom of speech to incite riots and inflame and offend Muslims.

And if you were President or rather what would you want a President to do do?

If I were president, I would've been doing my job at the time... I wouldn't be out campaigning... because I'd have a record I could run on...

I would've had the embassies on heightened alert with appropriate security measures in place and prepared for any potential violence erupting around the 9/11 anniversary... as soon as crowds began to form around the embassy in Egypt tear gas cannisters would've been deployed to disperse the crowds, and security troops would've been on call and sent to the area immediately... There already should've been multiple US carriers in the Mediteranean Sea and Indian Ocean we should'nt have to be sending them... I also wouldn't pick emmisaries who were weak minded and ready to cave in to the demands made on them by foreign mobs... The embassies would've been staffed with able, sharp, and strong-willed individuals who were courageous enough to stand up for America's interests...

I also wouldn't have gone around apologizing for America for a year... and then doing nothing over the next few years in response to attacks on embassies and consulates throughout the region...

I would've stood up for the uprisings in Iran and Syria, and people around the world would've known we meant business, and wouldn't dare attack our embassies...

In the event that multiple US Embassies were attacked, I would've immediately sent a small force of troops to secure them, I would've made a similar statement of our intent to strike back at those who perpetrated the attack (as Obama did), we would be working on finding and identifying the parties responsible (be they individuals, terrorist organizations, or state sponsors), and had an immediate appeal to the UN for sanctions for the nations who callously and recklessly failed to provide the appropriate security for foreign dignitaries in their countries...

If I were president, I would've been doing my job at the time... I wouldn't be out campaigning... because I'd have a record I could run on...

I would've had the embassies on heightened alert with appropriate security measures in place and prepared for any potential violence erupting around the 9/11 anniversary... as soon as crowds began to form around the embassy in Egypt tear gas cannisters would've been deployed to disperse the crowds, and security troops would've been on call and sent to the area immediately... There already should've been multiple US carriers in the Mediteranean Sea and Indian Ocean we should'nt have to be sending them... I also wouldn't pick emmisaries who were weak minded and ready to cave in to the demands made on them by foreign mobs... The embassies would've been staffed with able, sharp, and strong-willed individuals who were courageous enough to stand up for America's interests...

I also wouldn't have gone around apologizing for America for a year... and then doing nothing over the next few years in response to attacks on embassies and consulates throughout the region...

I would've stood up for the uprisings in Iran and Syria, and people around the world would've known we meant business, and wouldn't dare attack our embassies...

In the event that multiple US Embassies were attacked, I would've immediately sent a small force of troops to secure them, I would've made a similar statement of our intent to strike back at those who perpetrated the attack (as Obama did), we would be working on finding and identifying the parties responsible (be they individuals, terrorist organizations, or state sponsors), and had an immediate appeal to the UN for sanctions for the nations who callously and recklessly failed to provide the appropriate security for foreign dignitaries in their countries...
How's the campaign going......are you on the ballot yet?

Oh, so you're an expert in middle eastern mind-set? First of all, each country has a different political ideology. Clearly the "going in with guns blazing" approach hasn't worked well for us in the middle east.
"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

The film that the protestors where rioting over was offensive to their religion, however, that was not the cause of the riot. The cause was that tweets had gone out that the film was a major movie released by Hollywood and it reflected the views of Americans being against Islam. Clearly, there are a number of people in this country who are abusing their freedom of speech to incite riots and inflame and offend Muslims.

Appeasement does not work as a politcal strategy in the middle east so apparently I know their mindset better than the chump currently in the oval office.

Bolded: There is no guarantee against being offended, there is one against rioting because you dont have any more self control than a 10 year old. Its not abusing a freedom to portray someone negatively no matter how sacredly held. The problem is muslims will never accept any slight to their religion and always respond to it with violence. Until Islam and Muslims begin to curb their radical elements and dont react like this to every action critical of any portion of Islamic dogma or symbols or personas, they dont deserve to be treated as rational, civilized human beings.

spot on.. thank you for the fine post my friend..

Obama is into "strength through weakness"... but id go farther and say he is the trojan horse of the jihad, a creation of Soros..and a plague..

Russia must be quaking after hearing Obama is going to slash of militarty budgets to giver illegals health insurance... so we will be overun with lillegals as our allies will leave us fearing the China, Iran, Russia nexis growing influence as America goes into a steady decline by Obamas doing..

History will judge Obama as a total disaster..

Last edited:

it couldnt have been Biden running his mouth that " GM is alive and UBL is DEAD" 24/7?

Appeasement does not work as a politcal strategy in the middle east so apparently I know their mindset better than the chump currently in the oval office.

Bolded: There is no guarantee against being offended, there is one against rioting because you dont have any more self control than a 10 year old. Its not abusing a freedom to portray someone negatively no matter how sacredly held. The problem is muslims will never accept any slight to their religion and always respond to it with violence. Until Islam and Muslims begin to curb their radical elements and dont react like this to every action critical of any portion of Islamic dogma or symbols or personas, they dont deserve to be treated as rational, civilized human beings.

It is not appeasing when you are being diplomatic.
Freedom of speech has limits. When speech incites riots, it is against the law. The supreme court has ruled on this limitation to freedom of speech many times in our history.

Moderator's Warning:
There's a fair bit of baiting going on in this thread. It needs to end now. Get on topic and focus on the discussion, not each other

Freedom of speech has limits. When speech incites riots, it is against the law. The supreme court has ruled on this limitation to freedom of speech many times in our history.

You are . . . misplacing constitutional doctrine.

Are you saying this video should be outlawed?

You are . . . misplacing constitutional doctrine.

Are you saying this video should be outlawed?

If that were the case I say that we riot every time a SuperPAC ad comes on TV!

If that were the case I say that we riot every time a SuperPAC ad comes on TV!

Some people do. On Facebook, anyway.

Some people do. On Facebook, anyway.

I see more WorldNutDaily posts on facebook than anything. Of course, I grew up in rural Illinois.

The Supreme Court would no doubt have a heaty guffaw over a claim that the particular video in question or its distribution on YouTube somehow demonstrates incitement.

Porn videos are restricted.

So with that in mind, on Sept 11, 2012, rioters chanting, "We are all Osama bin Laden" attacked U.S. Embassies and Consulates. Maybe the people that did this violence saw the Democrat party convention and saw all the repeated Osama is dead stuff and they got hurt feelings and lashed out against the Americans they had access too. IF that is the case, does this mean the DNC should apologize? Is the DNC inciting riots with their words? Or just practicing their freedom of speech? I would say they were just practicing their freedom of speech.

Back
Top Bottom