• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert Reich: American Workers Are on Strike Over 'Low-Wage S*** Jobs'

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

"In reality, there's a living wage shortage, a hazard pay shortage, a childcare shortage, a paid sick leave shortage, and a health care shortage – and American workers are demanding an end to all these shortages. Or they won't return to work."

Among other aggravating factors, BLS' report highlighted parents struggling to return to the workplace as a result of high childcare fees.

Reich added that since the COVID-19 pandemic, some workers retired, found other income or "simply don't want to return to backbreaking, low-wage s*** jobs."

It appears the general population is starting to react to the shrinking middle class in this new way.

When the “safety net” is so generous that it offers serious competition (an alternative?) to ‘low wage’ work, the problem might not be the existence of ‘low wage’ work (capable of attracting millions of ‘undocumented’ foreign workers) - it might be that the “safety net” has simply become too generous.

When the “safety net” is so generous that it offers serious competition (an alternative?) to ‘low wage’ work, the problem might not be the existence of ‘low wage’ work (capable of attracting millions of ‘undocumented’ foreign workers) - it might be that the “safety net” has simply become too generous.
I think it proves the wages are way too low, as half of america already knows. I do not understand folks who have no problem with hundreds of billions being spent of the military each and every year but have a problem with the federal government spending money on we the people?

Reactions: JMR
In states where the safety net has been scaled back, there have been no measurable changes.

Remember, this is an economy where we aren't having children because of the cost too.

Last edited:
I think it proves the wages are way too low, as half of america already knows. I do not understand folks who have no problem with hundreds of billions being spent of the military each and every year but have a problem with the federal government spending money on we the people?

Hmm… that seems to favor offering a federal ‘paycheck’ to those US citizens who would rather have immigrants (legal or not) take those lower wage jobs.

State and local governments are capable of raising the MW (above the federal level) and many have done so. Oddly, the places with the highest MW are also those with the highest housing costs and ‘homeless’ populations.

In states where the safety net has been scaled back, there have been no measurable changes.

Remember, this is an economy where we aren't having children because of the cost too.

Hmm… which states have scaled back federal “safety net” programs?

Hmm… which states have scaled back federal “safety net” programs?

This is what is motivating the change

"In reality, there's a living wage shortage, a hazard pay shortage, a childcare shortage, a paid sick leave shortage, and a health care shortage – and American workers are demanding an end to all these shortages. Or they won't return to work."

Among other aggravating factors, BLS' report highlighted parents struggling to return to the workplace as a result of high childcare fees.

Reich added that since the COVID-19 pandemic, some workers retired, found other income or "simply don't want to return to backbreaking, low-wage s*** jobs."

It appears the general population is starting to react to the shrinking middle class in this new way.

Who here is shocked that the middle class has shrunk after we sent many of their jobs overseas? So the real question is how do we fix the mistake we made over decades. Seems like many aspire to have a large underclass supported by government aping Europe.

Hmm… that seems to favor offering a federal ‘paycheck’ to those US citizens who would rather have immigrants (legal or not) take those lower wage jobs.

State and local governments are capable of raising the MW (above the federal level) and many have done so. Oddly, the places with the highest MW are also those with the highest housing costs and ‘homeless’ populations.
Oh please, go to iowa and see just how many of these ranchers and farmers have non registered workers. Do you think the wealthy who have folks mowing their lawn who aren't white ask them if they are here legally? Most of the new homes built in america use under the radar workers. If we really wanted to stop the immigration problem, we would go after employers who use these folks for profit and screw other americans in the process out of decent jobs because the owners refuse to pay a living wage.

Who here is shocked that the middle class has shrunk after we sent many of their jobs overseas? So the real question is how do we fix the mistake we made over decades. Seems like many aspire to have a large underclass supported by government aping Europe.
The recent supply chain fiasco has me agreeing with you somewhat, per the bolded part.

Trump had an overall plan to fix that mistake that you speak of. Unfortunately, the globalists...the ones who profit from that "mistake"...and their paid minions...Congressional Elites...opposed Trump and his plan at every turn.

And now, with the Biden puppet masters, we are right back where we were before Trump came along. (and they are desperately trying to make up for lost time)

This is what is motivating the change

Maybe, we should try lifting restrictions which prevent folks from returning to work, rather than adding more of them.

Another thing to consider is that only ‘on the books’ income is used to reduce “safety net” benefits (or subject to federal payroll/income taxation) - perhaps that is why the IRS is seeking to monitor the banking records of those ‘rich enough’ to have *gasp* $600/year in bank account activity.

then why do so many illegal immigrants want to take these jobs then? Am I to think that an illegal immigrant has more work ethic than an american who is born here?

Maybe, we should try lifting restrictions which prevent folks from returning to work, rather than adding more of them.

What restrictions are you thinking of?
Another thing to consider is that only ‘on the books’ income is used to reduce “safety net” benefits (or subject to federal payroll/income taxation) - perhaps that is why the IRS is seeking to monitor the banking records of those ‘rich enough’ to have *gasp* $600/year in bank account activity.
I STRONGLY suspect there is a lot of under the table work since the pandemic started.

Trump had an overall plan to fix that mistake that you speak of.

He had a "plan" for healthcare and a "plan" for infrastructure too.

Oh, and also a "plan" to defeat President Biden.

Problem is: none of that happened.:cry:

We automated away a huge amount of jobs as well. No amount of trade policy will bring those back and we are only going to automate manufacturing more.

We automated away a huge amount of jobs as well. No amount of trade policy will bring those back and we are only going to automate manufacturing more.
Yup, right now the best way to have job security is to have a job that either requires creativity, being good at human relationships, or situational expertise.

Oh please, go to iowa and see just how many of these ranchers and farmers have non registered workers. Do you think the wealthy who have folks mowing their lawn who aren't white ask them if they are here legally? Most of the new homes built in america use under the radar workers. If we really wanted to stop the immigration problem, we would go after employers who use these folks for profit and screw other americans in the process out of decent jobs because the owners refuse to pay a living wage.

You are absolutely correct. Immigrant labor (legal or not) is a major factor in keeping US wages lower than they otherwise would be. Most of the non-US citizens are unable to take full advantage of “safety net” programs, yet they are still much better off living and working in the US than they would be remaining in their homelands.

then why do so many illegal immigrants want to take these jobs then? Am I to think that an illegal immigrant has more work ethic than an american who is born here?

Nope, non-US citizens legal or not have less opportunity to qualify for “safety net” assistance, thus must work. Of course, their US born offspring are able to qualify for all manner of “safety net” assistance.

Hell yes!
aaaaand why should i think that? If you're saying that mexican workers who are brought here illegally by corporations to be exploited for labour are superior to american workers, then that sounds kinda racist.

American workers and Mexican workers are the same people, there's no difference between us. If american labourers aren't working in certain jobs, then maybe there's something wrong here. Maybe certain populations are being exploited and enslaved, at the cost of both their well being, and the well being of american labour.

Proof, the minimum wage cannot be zero?

What restrictions are you thinking of?

Vaccine passports/mandates.

I STRONGLY suspect there is a lot of under the table work since the pandemic started.

Yep, and before that as well. The way many “safety net” programs are structured, $2 of additional ‘on the books’ income reduces “safety net” benefits by $1. That creates a situation where any ‘on the books’ income nets only 1/2 the nominal hourly wage - often resulting in working for less (net) than the MW. ‘Off the books’ income is thus a great alternative (opportunity?) even if it pays slightly less than the (nominal) hourly MW.

aaaaand why should i think that? If you're saying that mexican workers who are brought here illegally by corporations to be exploited for labour are superior to american workers, then that sounds kinda racist.
On what planet does that bear the slightest resemblance to anything I've ever said?
American workers and Mexican workers are the same people, there's no difference between us. If american labourers aren't working in certain jobs, then maybe there's something wrong here. Maybe certain populations are being exploited and enslaved, at the cost of both their well being, and the well being of american labour.
Duh.

On what planet does that bear the slightest resemblance to anything I've ever said?
I thought you were affirming the idea that Illegal immigrants do have more work ethic than americans, which i just don't buy. I think illegal immigrants are more exploited, which is independent of any kind of work ethic they may or may not have.

Back
Top Bottom