• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert De Niro Rips Into ‘Stupid Bully’ Trump, Compares Him to Hitler in MSNBC Interview

Reactions: PoS
None the less there are parallels between Trump and Hitler that should not be overlooked. Both of them are populists that demonized outsiders as the cause of all societies problems, both had minority support but leveraged that support into power anyway. Trump was laughed at when he announced he was running for President also.
That is a parallel, and I'm more concerned about the ones that follow than I am Trump.

For myself, I never understood Hitler's rise to power until I observed Trump's.
The similarity they have is they both channeled existing grievances, but greatly diverged in what both leaders had in mind for their respective countries. Hitler had a well defined vision while Trump is more based on raw grievance anger with no clear direction. Hitler was also a great orator, while Trump is not. What Trump has is the ability to make himself into a grievance avatar.

There's no fighting going on. Trump doesn't give a shit about De Niro. Maybe that's why De Niro keeps shooting off his mouth. He's not getting the attention he thinks he deserves.

It's not like Trump ever responds to even mild criticism with tweet storms or using the Presidential account when he had it.

Trump has the thinnest skin of anyone in the public eye and everyone knows it.

For myself, I never understood Hitler's rise to power until I observed Trump's.

It's easy to understand when you see what a shambles Germany was after WW1 and the crippling sanctions they had on them.

It's why the same sort of sanctions weren't put in place after WW2.

It's easy to understand when you see what a shambles Germany was after WW1 and the crippling sanctions they had on them.

It's why the same sort of sanctions weren't put in place after WW2.
Yeah, 2024 America is not 1930s Germany. I don't think Trump will destroy us, but he sure is making us fester and rot.

It's like that meme where everyone I don't like is Hitler.

DeNiro continues to show his lack of intellect wrapped in rabid partisanship.
Elon Musk pointed the above out brilliantly in an X counter today.

147.jpg

Well, that's a simplistic way to think of it. Why not only compare those to Hitler who behave like Hitler behaved?

People like Donald, for example.

I find the Hitler comparisons to be really unhelpful and overly hyperbolic. If there's one way to not be taken seriously, it's making this comparison; they're two very different people with very different goals and ways of accomplishing them. Trump's authoritarian instincts are at base level, and mainly because they're out of convenience than ideological or connected to thought out governance strategy. In fairness, DeNiro's comparing Trump to the rise of Hitler and the similarities there, and there's certainly a cautionary tale there as well as some similarities. Hitler wasn't taken seriously well before he was in power, so the comparison is a bit off.

I agree that it's not helpful, but only because most people really don't understand what the real comparisons are and their meanings. The only real differences between strongmen tactics since Mussolini are the periods of history. The comparisons to Hitler can also easily be seen with Mussolini, Franco, Gaddafi, Pinochet, Berlusconi, Putin, Erdogan, Modi, Orban, and others. All practiced the same tactics within their right-wing Parties. All exhibited the same populist personalities and used fear of the "outsider" as the primary mechanism. All hit on the same conservative talking points and attacked leftists, liberals, democrats, government, academics, free press, judiciary, minorities of all types, gender equality, homosexuals, and immigrants as "threats" to nation and culture. Most used national birth rates to reverse female empowerment (abortion). All are praised for being outsiders to their political systems who proclaim themselves as their nation's saviors. Most have criminal records or are facing investigations prior to or during ascent. All admonish experts and surround themselves with inadequate lackeys who always take the fall for them. All rigged elections when they had to. And all purposefully move their democracies to ruin to suit their own personal and economic needs. The mainstreaming of far-right political forces damages democracy and strongmen always reach out to each other for legitimacy.

1) Fascist Takeover Period (Mussolini, Hitler, Franco)

2) Military Coups Period during the Cold War (Gaddafi, Pinochet, Hussein, Barre, etc.)

3) New Authoritarian Ascents (Modi, Orban, Berlusconi, Putin, Erdogan, Trump)

The story of the strongman is typically always the same and the indicators are always so obvious to people on the "outside." Mussolini wrote the playbook. He loved promoting his masculinity by posing shirtless. So does Putin. Berlusconi was constantly on his knees for Putin. Trump is a fat-ass who can't praise Putin enough, thus he provides his followers with Internet trading cards with his head pasted on top of other men's bodies. Could Trump praise any global dictator enough during his tenure? Putin is the leader of the global right-wing. Trump, like so many of the others, belittle women as a show of dominance. He has a years-long record for viciously attacking the free press unless it shines on him. He has a long-record of attacking democratic institutions, academics, professionals, experts, and judges. The Trump Organization is suspected of helping autocrats and their cronies to launder money. His appeals to white male victimhood, national victimhood, and right-wing Christian victimhood has made it so that his followers have bonded with him to such a degree that they see no, or don't care at all about, any faults. Trump, like so many behind him, has become the "man" who can get away with what his followers dream that they could do. This is why they praise him for grabbing ***** whenever he feels like it, or fools the banks, or rages against those snooty experts, and bases on those dastardly liberals who dare tell them that they have to share the country with non-white conservative Christians.

What happened on January 6 was not about America. It was about Trump, and his right-wing Party knows it. That day showed that Trump is not just a "New Authoritarian," who had spent years using strongman tactics and the prior year trying to rig the election. He has no problem with a coup either. Trump just didn't have a Pentagon backing him, despite trying to stack it all summer.

Last edited:
I agree that it's not helpful, but only because most people really don't understand what the real comparisons are and their meanings. The only real differences between strongmen tactics since Mussolini are the periods of history. The comparisons to Hitler can also easily be seen with Mussolini, Franco, Gaddafi, Pinochet, Berlusconi, Putin, Erdogan, Modi, Orban, and others. All practiced the same tactics within their right-wing Parties. All exhibited the same populist personalities and used fear of the "outsider" as the primary mechanism. All hit on the same conservative talking points and attacked leftists, liberals, democrats, government, academics, free press, judiciary, minorities of all types, gender equality, homosexuals, and immigrants as "threats" to nation and culture. Most used national birth rates to reverse female empowerment (abortion). All are praised for being outsiders to their political systems who proclaim themselves as their nation's saviors. Most have criminal records or are facing investigations prior to or during ascent. All admonish experts and surround themselves with inadequate lackeys who always take the fall for them. All rigged elections when they had to. And all purposefully move their democracies to ruin to suit their own personal and economic needs. The mainstreaming of far-right political forces damages democracy and strongmen always reach out to each other for legitimacy.

2) Military Coups Period during the Cold War (Gaddafi, Pinochet, Hussein, Barre, etc.)

The story of the strongman is typically always the same and the indicators are always so obvious to people on the "outside." Mussolini wrote the playbook. He loved promoting his masculinity by posing shirtless. So does Putin. Berlusconi was constantly on his knees for Putin. Trump is a fat-ass who can't praise Putin enough, thus he provides his followers with Internet trading cards with his head pasted on top of other men's bodies. Could Trump praise any global dictator enough during his tenure? Putin is the leader of the global right-wing. Trump, like so many of the others, belittle women as a show of dominance. He has a years-long record for viciously attacking the free press unless it shines on him. He has a long-record of attacking democratic institutions, academics, professionals, experts, and judges. The Trump Organization is suspected of helping autocrats and their cronies to launder money. His appeals to white male victimhood, national victimhood, and right-wing Christian victimhood has made it so that his followers have bonded with him to such a degree that they see no, or don't care at all about, any faults. Trump, like so many behind him, has become the "man" who can get away with what his followers dream that they could do. This is why they praise him for grabbing ***** whenever he feels like it, or fools the banks, or rages against those snooty experts, and bases on those dastardly liberals who dare tell them that they have to share the country with non-white conservative Christians.

What happened on January 6 was not about America. It was about Trump, and his right-wing Party knows it. That day showed that Trump is not just a "New Authoritarian," who had spent years using strongman tactics and the prior year trying to rig the election. He has no problem with a coup either. Trump just didn't have a Pentagon backing him, despite trying to stack it all summer.
You'll get no disagreement from me on most of your points comparing Trump to many of those authoritarian figures, because there is a common MO for how they operate and rise to power. My point was that Hitler is not a good comparison because of the full threat Hitler presented and ultimately became. Hitler had militaristic goals Trump does not have, and rather than expanding American power and influence, he's looking in the opposite direction. My concern is more for the Freedom Caucus/Heritage Foundation type nutters who will come in the front door with Trump, because those folks definitely have plans and ideas that lean more in the direction you're referring to.

What many don't know is that a "New Authoritarianism" has been in place for some time, and it involves both parties working for the few who own most.

And the Pentagon works for them, too.

Here's another Hollywood attention whore shooting off his big mouth.

1714871321403.png

I find the Hitler comparisons to be really unhelpful and overly hyperbolic. If there's one way to not be taken seriously, it's making this comparison; they're two very different people with very different goals and ways of accomplishing them. Trump's authoritarian instincts are at base level, and mainly because they're out of convenience than ideological or connected to thought out governance strategy. In fairness, DeNiro's comparing Trump to the rise of Hitler and the similarities there, and there's certainly a cautionary tale there as well as some similarities. Hitler wasn't taken seriously well before he was in power, so the comparison is a bit off.

Most of that is true.

Hitler had a vision and a plan. He was far smarter than Trump.

However, I have to disagree with you regarding the comparisons between how Trump rose and how Hitler rose.

Neither was taken seriously by the political and business establishment in Germany. They thought he was a clown.

Buthe shaped his appeal to the resentment of working people and promoted jingoism and bigotry.

the same core values at the center of Trumpism.

In the years between 1925 and 1932, the Nazis assiduously courted Germany/s business and press establishment.

He has a media ally in Von Hugenburg, just as Trump used Rupert Murdoch.

Trump’s only legislative accomplishment was a generous tax cut to the already rich.

And Trump events are no longer held in county fairgrounds or arenas, but behind the secure gates of Palm Beach billionaires.

Last edited:
Most of that is true.

Hitler had a vision and a plan. He was far smarter than Trump.

However, I have to disagree with you regarding the comparisons between how Trump rose and how Hitler rose.

Neither was taken seriously by the political and business establishment in Germany. They thought he was a clown.

Buthe shaped his appeal to the resentment of working people and promoted jingoism and bigotry.

the same core values at the center of Trumpism.

In the years between 1925 and 1932, the Nazis assiduously courted Germany/s business and press establishment.

He has a media ally in Von Hugenburg, just as Trump used Rupert Murdoch.

Trump’s only legislative accomplishment was a generous tax cut to the already rich.

And Trump events are no longer held in county fairgrounds or arenas, but behind the secure gates of Palm Beach billionaires.
How they rose is a comparison of that particular aspect of their political careers, while the general comparisons are with Hitler far more broadly, and that's the part I feel helps hyperbolize the more beneficial comparisons around how authoritarians rise to power and later abuse their positions; that's the far more salient point.

How they rose is a comparison of that particular aspect of their political careers, while the general comparisons are with Hitler far more broadly, and that's the part I feel helps hyperbolize the more beneficial comparisons around how authoritarians rise to power and later abuse their positions; that's the far more salient point.
Personally, I just find Trump/Hitler comparisons great fun. Nothing much deeper than that, because no MAGA ever wants to talk details.

Perhaps.

But at this point it seems horribly naive to me that anyone would think Trump might not be just as dangerous.

Not out of vision, skill or militarism.

But out of sheer stupidity and arrogance.

I think that trump’s career in politics is a cautionary tale in that regard.

DeNiro continues to show his lack of intellect wrapped in rabid partisanship.
Elon Musk pointed the above out brilliantly in an X counter today.

You call that "brilliant?" Damn...that explains a lot.

Do you think this is a fair comparison?

Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro has been outspoken about former President Donald Trump since the latter’s first run for president, and in a new interview with MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle, he went as far as comparing Trump’s rise to that of Hitler’s.

For a full segment on The 11th Hour with Stephanie Ruhle on Thursday, De Niro called Trump a variety of things, from “a sick person” to “narcissistic” to a “monster” and a “stupid bully.” But De Niro was also concerned about the possibility of Trump returning to the Oval Office, and how “dangerous” that would be.

But aside from the name-calling — which was funny, because De Niro specifically said at the top of the segment “I’m tired of calling him names” — De Niro told Ruhle that he doesn’t think people “understand” where another trump presidency could lead. He, however, has an idea:
Meh. What else is new?
You have to consider that this is coming form a Hollyweird Celebutard who lives and works in the land of make believe, and should be valued as such, which is next to nothing.

1714949089013.png

Perhaps.

But at this point it seems horribly naive to me that anyone would think Trump might not be just as dangerous.

Not out of vision, skill or militarism.

But out of sheer stupidity and arrogance.

I think that trump’s career in politics is a cautionary tale in that regard.
The bolded is the bigger risk, and also the people he surrounds himself with, because those will be the people with actual agendas.

Robert De Niro Rips Into ‘Stupid Bully’ Trump, Compares Him to Hitler in MSNBC Interview​

Oh. Is that has-been Hollywood attention whore talking again?

Who cares?

Right. Two-time Oscar winner, 9 time Oscar nominee, 8 time BAFTA nominee, 10 time Golden Globe nominee, Kennedy Center Honoree, Lifetime Achievement award from the American Film Institute, the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom … just to name a few.

Not to mention, he’s 80, and still filming.

Hardly a has-been.

Back
Top Bottom