• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RFK Jr picks California lawyer Nicole Shanahan as his running mate.

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
US presidential candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr has announced Silicon Valley lawyer and philanthropist Nicole Shanahan as his running mate.

Ms Shanahan, 38, the ex-wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin, has never before run for political office.

Mr Kennedy, an environmental lawyer, anti-vaccine activist and scion of America's most famous political dynasty, is running as an independent.

964be3b0087c199de9591eb02991f6c733-26-kennedy.2x.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Naming a VP pick is a prerequisite to be on the ballot in a number of states.

The Kennedy campaign has ruffled Democrats, who are concerned about its spoiler potential on President Joe Biden's re-election chances.

On Tuesday Mr Kennedy embraced that label, calling his campaign "a spoiler for President Biden and for President Trump" that will "forge an unstoppable coalition of homeless Democrats and homeless Republicans".

The Democratic National Committee has recently stepped up attacks on Mr Kennedy, arguing that his longshot third-party bid will only end up helping to elect the Republican candidate, Donald Trump.

Ms Shanahan was unveiled on Tuesday by Mr Kennedy at a rally in Oakland, California, where he described her as a "fellow lawyer, a brilliant scientist, technologist, a fierce warrior mom".

She has previously been a longtime Democratic donor and has already donated to Mr Kennedy's campaign. She said in her remarks that she was leaving the Democratic Party, because it had "lost its way" by focusing on "elitism" and "winning at all costs".

"I believe I am taking the best ideals and impulses with me," she said.

Will you Americans vote for them ?

Kennedy / Shanahan now have to get onto the 51 ballots for the general election in November as Independents.

This is a very complicated process and the Biden-Democrats (and I assume Republicans) are trying everything to keep them off some important ballots in Nevada, Arizona etc. because they fear their candidacy.

Most states filing deadlines are only coming up between July and early September, but some, like Texas are already in May.

Independent candidates (unlike Ds and Rs) have to collect hundreds of thousands of signatures in states and file immensely bureaucratic paperwork to get ballot access.

In Nevada for example, the Democratic-controlled Secretary of State gave misleading information to the Kennedy campaign on how to collect the 10.000+ signatures that they require for ballot access in November.

As a result, his already collected signatures are now invalid due to Biden/DNC incompetence and corruption and he has to collect the signatures again until July ...

Kennedy / Shanahan now have to get onto the 51 ballots for the general election in November as Independents.

This is a very complicated process and the Biden-Democrats (and I assume Republicans) are trying everything to keep them off some important ballots in Nevada, Arizona etc. because they fear their candidacy.

Most states filing deadlines are only coming up between July and early September, but some, like Texas are already in May.

Independent candidates (unlike Ds and Rs) have to collect hundreds of thousands of signatures in states and file immensely bureaucratic paperwork to get ballot access.
She literally bought the VP nomination.

Jr.'s family is not done condemning his candidacy.

Who cares? This is nothing. One good thing about Trump is no Democrat will risk voting for a third party candidate. If he steals votes, they'll be Trump votes.

No Democrat will vote for a ticket of anti-vaxxers. Won't happen. But there are tons of libertarian anti-vaxxers that will pull the plug on Trump and vote for these wackos. Another blow for Trump's re-election chances.

Last edited:
US presidential candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr has announced Silicon Valley lawyer and philanthropist Nicole Shanahan as his running mate.

Ms Shanahan, 38, the ex-wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin, has never before run for political office.

Mr Kennedy, an environmental lawyer, anti-vaccine activist and scion of America's most famous political dynasty, is running as an independent.

The Kennedy campaign has ruffled Democrats, who are concerned about its spoiler potential on President Joe Biden's re-election chances.

On Tuesday Mr Kennedy embraced that label, calling his campaign "a spoiler for President Biden and for President Trump" that will "forge an unstoppable coalition of homeless Democrats and homeless Republicans".

The Democratic National Committee has recently stepped up attacks on Mr Kennedy, arguing that his longshot third-party bid will only end up helping to elect the Republican candidate, Donald Trump.

Ms Shanahan was unveiled on Tuesday by Mr Kennedy at a rally in Oakland, California, where he described her as a "fellow lawyer, a brilliant scientist, technologist, a fierce warrior mom".

She has previously been a longtime Democratic donor and has already donated to Mr Kennedy's campaign. She said in her remarks that she was leaving the Democratic Party, because it had "lost its way" by focusing on "elitism" and "winning at all costs".

I could.

Hopefully there will be debates and RFK Jr. will get to participate. Then more Americans will get to hear him talk and any significant support will drop. Biden and Trump are old but at least they don't sound like they are 120.

RFK Jr isn’t a threat to Biden or Biden’s base.

He’s going to pull right leaning Independents who are disgusted by Trump and won’t vote for Trump because of that but wouldn’t vote for Biden or the Democratic ticket either.

Which is fine 🤷‍♀️

I fear this might help trump win in some twisted way.....

Electoral College, if 270 is not reached, back to the House, one state, one vote.

And the VP is voted for separately in the Senate.

The Senate elects the Vice President from the two (2) Vice Presidential candidates with the most electoral votes. Each Senator casts one vote for Vice President. (Since the District of Columbia is not a State, it has no Senators so does not participate in the vote). A candidate must receive at least 51 votes (a majority of Senators) to be elected.

If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House.

Electoral College, if 270 is not reached, back to the House, one state, one vote.

The Senate elects the Vice President from the two (2) Vice Presidential candidates with the most electoral votes. Each Senator casts one vote for Vice President. (Since the District of Columbia is not a State, it has no Senators so does not participate in the vote). A candidate must receive at least 51 votes (a majority of Senators) to be elected.

If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House.
If there is no clear POTUS winner, how is there a VP elect?

I didn’t know that. Could make for an interesting Administration!

It’s unlikely that a ‘third party’ candidate will get any EC votes.

I think RFK Jr. is interesting especially in a year where both major party candidates are disliked and unwanted to become the next president by most Americans. 59% of all Americans don’t want Biden to run again, 56% don’t want Trump to run again either. Another interesting aspect of this upcoming election is among Biden supporters, 40% are voting for Biden, 58% against Trump because they want Trump to lose. While among Trump supporters, 68% are voting for him because they want Trump to win, 32% against Biden.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_mTlzQOB.pdf

Polling wise, RFK Jr. is a bit above 10% according to RCP averages in a 5-candidate race. Keep in mind, no labels aren’t included.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/po...24/trump-vs-biden-vs-kennedy-vs-west-vs-stein

With the dislike and unwantedness of both major party candidates, I suspect the third party will be much higher than the 1.5% historical average and that we’ll have a low voter turnout. This election will be more akin to 2016 than 2020. In 2016 voter turnout was 54%, 137 million using VAP with a third-party vote of 6%, 8.2 million. Compare that to 2020 when voter turnout was 62%, 160 million with a third-party vote of 1.7%, 2.7 million.

This upcoming election due to the dislike and unwantedness of both major party candidates has become for many Americans a who cares who wins elections, especially among independents who make up 42% of the electorate. I think neither major party knows how much most Americans don’t want Biden reelected nor for Trump to regain the white house. Either that or both major parties don’t care about most Americans, just themselves.

Good for them.

I have no sensible reason nor desire to vote for that ticket.

I think RFK Jr. is interesting especially in a year where both major party candidates are disliked and unwanted to become the next president by most Americans. 59% of all Americans don’t want Biden to run again, 56% don’t want Trump to run again either. Another interesting aspect of this upcoming election is among Biden supporters, 40% are voting for Biden, 58% against Trump because they want Trump to lose. While among Trump supporters, 68% are voting for him because they want Trump to win, 32% against Biden.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_mTlzQOB.pdf

Polling wise, RFK Jr. is a bit above 10% according to RCP averages in a 5-candidate race. Keep in mind, no labels aren’t included.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/po...24/trump-vs-biden-vs-kennedy-vs-west-vs-stein

With the dislike and unwantedness of both major party candidates, I suspect the third party will be much higher than the 1.5% historical average and that we’ll have a low voter turnout. This election will be more akin to 2016 than 2020. In 2016 voter turnout was 54%, 137 million using VAP with a third-party vote of 6%, 8.2 million. Compare that to 2020 when voter turnout was 62%, 160 million with a third-party vote of 1.7%, 2.7 million.

This upcoming election due to the dislike and unwantedness of both major party candidates has become for many Americans a who cares who wins elections, especially among independents who make up 42% of the electorate. I think neither major party knows how much most Americans don’t want Biden reelected nor for Trump to regain the white house. Either that or both major parties don’t care about most Americans, just themselves.
3rd Party candidates at this point are only really going to take votes from each other anywhere where there are more than one of them able to be on the ballot. If someone isn't willing to vote for Biden or Trump, then they aren't going to care who the other candidates are.

In Nevada for example, the Democratic-controlled Secretary of State gave misleading information to the Kennedy campaign on how to collect the 10.000+ signatures that they require for ballot access in November.

As a result, his already collected signatures are now invalid due to Biden/DNC incompetence and corruption and he has to collect the signatures again until July ...

I seen that. There wasn’t even a place on the form given to RFK Jr. by the state of Nevada to gain his signatures for a VP candidate. Seems the Democrats in Nevada are up to their old shenanigans of trying to deny any third party or independent a place on the ballot. Their idea of a democracy is to limit the choices the voters have in candidates to just the two major parties which have automatic ballot access.

The only difference between the old USSR and Russia today with their one-party elections is here, we have two party elections denying the voters of any additional choices. The two major parties have a monopoly on our electoral system. They write our election laws and they do so as a mutual protection act. If there’s one thing both major agree on, is that no viable third party will ever rise. They will do anything to maintain their monopoly on our electoral system.

3rd Party candidates at this point are only really going to take votes from each other anywhere where there are more than one of them able to be on the ballot. If someone isn't willing to vote for Biden or Trump, then they aren't going to care who the other candidates are.

I think pretty much everyone who doesn't want to vote for Biden or Trump, just isn't going to vote.

I think the type of people who vote for 3rd parties, are voting for them because they believe in the candidate or party. Even more so than most of the people who will be voting for Biden or Trump.

Back
Top Bottom