• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Restroom use: how would you do it?

It is only not an issue to people who think men flashing little girls with their genitals is not a problem nor have an issue with men laying in waiting for girls and women in remote public bathrooms such as at parks. Then again, there are people who have no problem with rape, claiming it is just natural law at play.
You are going to have to get more specific. Were you aware that there was nudist facilities that have children who are running around nude as well? Simple nudity is not "flashing". Flashing or indecent exposure, by law in most places, has intent as part of the crime. Further, rapist lay in wait to attack young boys and men as well, so it seems that you have no problem with male victim rape, just female victim rape.

I am not giving details on bathroom stall construction.

I wasn't looking for super specific. Something along the lines of would you require no gaps, or allow gaps like we have now. Or specifics on door locks. I wasn't asking about details on stall dimensions or such.

O would have cameras put in to all public non-exposure parts of bathrooms so that anybody harassing another will be arrested.

I like this. Security without any true invasion of privacy

Make one for mothers will small children and one for the rest. All stalls from the floor to the top of the wall so that there are no peepers and everybody is safely in their own stall. And the stall should be in 2 parts, one with somewhere to wash your hands and make yourself presentable before going out and one with the stall itself. Several should read "urinals" to warn people it is only for peeing. And to have those tubes women can use to also use the urinal. Then add a few stalls for handicapped people and the problem IMO is solved. This will keep the mothers and children from the regular adults and children old enough to go to the toilet themselves. No problems with transgenders because there is just one kind of toilet for men/women/inbetween, all into one.
Overall I like. But one question. The tubes for women to use the urinals. Are you talking about them being provided for people, or simply noting that if women have them, they can use them? Because that seem like an excessive recurring expense, since they would have to either be disposable or go through sterilization.

Overall I like. But one question. The tubes for women to use the urinals. Are you talking about them being provided for people, or simply noting that if women have them, they can use them? Because that seem like an excessive recurring expense, since they would have to either be disposable or go through sterilization.

put a machine on the wall that sells disposable ones for women who do not have one. Costs almost nothing on Ebay, and of course have a spot for the to be thrown away in a trash bin (in the place where you wash your hands aka the front stall).

I wasn't looking for super specific. Something along the lines of would you require no gaps, or allow gaps like we have now. Or specifics on door locks. I wasn't asking about details on stall dimensions or such.
A common hand sink area with individual stalls with full doors and locking mechanisms on the inside for the user to be safe/uninterrupted.
I like this. Security without any true invasion of privacy
Our schools already have cameras... solved lots of bullying and vandalism to.

That ought to be interesting to see how such would play out in the US.
With people freaking out over just redesigning bathrooms it would be interesting indeed to hear about putting cameras in...

With people freaking out over just redesigning bathrooms it would be interesting indeed to hear about putting cameras in...
I think, after this, I would have to revise my idea to add an allowence, although not a requirement, of cameras, as long as they are not recording or viewing areas with genital exposure is expected.

I think, after this, I would have to revise my idea to add an allowence, although not a requirement, of cameras, as long as they are not recording or viewing areas with genital exposure is expected.
They cover the sinks, the entrance and the walking area outside the stalls so you can see who goes in. Not one inside part of any stall is on camera. Our school is very careful, obviously, because of privacy in general but also because they are children.

But until you give me those details (which you now have after I had to ask for them), I can't compare them, can I?
I didn't have any details. That's why I didn't give them. There's nothing to give.

You'd never get political support for that and simply attempting it would end whatever political career put you in a position to propose laws in the first place. We The People do not want cameras in restrooms.

...Our schools already have cameras... solved lots of bullying and vandalism to.

Are the cameras monitored? If not, it seems to me they'd be useful for catching offenders but not necessarily for preventing offenses. They might be some deterrent but I'm not convinced that's 100% effective.

Are the cameras monitored? If not, it seems to me they'd be useful for catching offenders but not necessarily for preventing offenses. They might be some deterrent but I'm not convinced that's 100% effective.
Nothing is 100% effective. But after hundreds of dollars of damage to the bathrooms, the cameras certainly stopped the vandalism. I would say that prevents offenses for those that do not want to get caught... It may not stop crime in all cases though. Nothing stops all crime.

Nothing is 100% effective. But after hundreds of dollars of damage to the bathrooms, the cameras certainly stopped the vandalism. I would say that prevents offenses for those that do not want to get caught... It may not stop crime in all cases though. Nothing stops all crime.
So you want cameras in bathrooms to arrest people who use the 'wrong' bathroom.

Not even close...
Then I don't understand why anyone is talking about cameras at all, because if it were about preventing crime then we would already have cameras in every restroom.

I wanted to focus in on this more than what some of the other threads are doing. I am placing this in Law and Order since we are going to be discussing what the law should be as the main focus, although no doubt there will be much about sexuality in it as well. So Mods, move if you see fit.

Here is your hypothetical: You are tasked with writing a law on restroom use (private homes excluded), and it will be accepted as law. For the purposes of this discussion, you don't have to do this in legalese, but you do need to be specific, especially on issues such as exceptions and enforcement.

Interesting but I don't think a law is needed for return use at all.

for example, here in and around Pittsburgh these are the typical options

1.) large venues have men, women with stalls and typically a private (one person). The private usually is "accessible" and has child changing tables that fold out from the wall
2.) Some places dont have the 3rd option and then inside the man and woman with stalls there are accessible stalls and some times child changing stations
3.) some have men and women but they are actually private (one person only) and again they are accessible and sometimes have child changing stations
4.) some have an unlabeled restroom and again they are accessible and sometimes have child changing stations

those seem like perfect options to me, i mean it would be nice if every place could have the 3 options but thats not always the reality

what else is needed really

True, but cameras have been mentioned in this thread as a means to deter rape, pedophilia, harassment, etc in unisex bathrooms. Fear of getting caught might prevent some but, as you say, not all. Presumably someone monitoring the camera and close enough to intervene could do so. But I doubt that's practical.

Then I don't understand why anyone is talking about cameras at all, because if it were about preventing crime then we would already have cameras in every restroom.
I am talking about stopping people from harassing people who they do not feel should be using the same bathroom as them. The problem is solved with stalls, but I mentioned cameras as an extra safety measure as well.

True, but cameras have been mentioned in this thread as a means to deter rape, pedophilia, harassment, etc in unisex bathrooms. Fear of getting caught might prevent some but, as you say, not all. Presumably someone monitoring the camera and close enough to intervene could do so. But I doubt that's practical.
I doubt it to. We only have a person review footage if a problem or incident came up.

Lol, that's an easy answer - no.
Never understood the double standard. Women can put the seat down. It is pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom