• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Restroom use: how would you do it?

I think I get where the author of this thread is coming from, so here is my simple answer:
Where I live in Canada, many public places have three or four bathroom designations, male, female, family and handicapped. Some combine family and handicapped since only ONE person at a time can use it.
So women use the women's, men the men's, adults with small kids not wanting the kid exposed to an adult use the family/handicap one, AND anyone who has changed sex and doesn't want to be exposed to sexual curiosity or be subjected to discriminatory remarks can do the same.
Those places that don't have more options will admittedly be a problem, but both men's and women's come with stalls, so if you want privacy, use a stall instead of a urinal.

SO if I was tasked with writing a law, it would be simple, every public place, even a business that provides washrooms, need to have at least three options, men, women, and an all use one where only one person at a time can use the facility, be it transgender, disabled, elderly, or a parent with a child.

One problem with this is that it’s fine with new construction, but existing, say restaurants, maybe mom and pops, will have to get a third bathroom put in to stay in business? In an average business in my area this would be a roughly $40,000 - $50,000 add on. Same thing when the ADA laws were introduced. Wheel chair ramps, and all that.

I am talking about stopping people from harassing people who they do not feel should be using the same bathroom as them.
We didn't need cameras to desegregate racial bathrooms...

Thing is, some guys won't bother lifting the seat in a public restroom. So would you prefer sitting in somebody's pee to having to put the seat down?
Women don't seem to realize that men have to deal with the peed-on seat thing as well.

I've never been in a multi-holer men's room, but aren't there stalls, as well as urinals? What is the problem?
The problem is TRANNIES!!!! It's stupid. I remember when the ERA was being debated in the mid 70's, we were hearing the same crap--Equal rights for women would mean unisex bathrooms!!! Good grief, Charlie Brown.

One problem with this is that it’s fine with new construction, but existing, say restaurants, maybe mom and pops, will have to get a third bathroom put in to stay in business? In an average business in my area this would be a roughly $40,000 - $50,000 add on. Same thing when the ADA laws were introduced. Wheel chair ramps, and all that.
or simply say each bathroom is a single person bathroom, no two people at once.

Never understood the double standard. Women can put the seat down. It is pretty easy.
Let me explain then. Let's say a woman gets up in the middle of the night to pee. Most of us know our homes well enough to not turn on any lights (and lights are incredibly jarring in the middle of the night). We go to sit down on the toilet and, SURPRISE, if the seat is up, you are suddenly and unexpectedly sitting in water - especially those of us with narrow hips. We fall right through that wider opening when the seat is up. Since women are typically more likely to need the toilet in the middle of the night (maybe until old age????), we should win this battle:)

Thing is, some guys won't bother lifting the seat in a public restroom. So would you prefer sitting in somebody's pee to having to put the seat down?
Public co-ed restroom are an entirely different scenario than one's home. Who knows what to expect when you walk in and one should be prepared for anything, including having a pack of tissues in your purse in case there isn't any toilet paper (which would be needed for obvious reasons and to lower the toilet seat, if needed).

I'm not proposing anything. I want to know what others would propose, including on how they would define things and enforce them. It could be as simple as they would require only unisex restrooms with stalls only that had no gaps to peep through, to draconian and convoluted definitions that requires a place to have 10 different specific restrooms.

Basically, in some of the threads, specifically on transgenders, there is a lot of generality and suggestive wording, but I want to see specifics.
Biological sex should determine what restroom you use. It's just about the science.

Let me explain then. Let's say a woman gets up in the middle of the night to pee. Most of us know our homes well enough to not turn on any lights (and lights are incredibly jarring in the middle of the night). We go to sit down on the toilet and, SURPRISE, if the seat is up, you are suddenly and unexpectedly sitting in water - especially those of us with narrow hips. We fall right through that wider opening when the seat is up. Since women are typically more likely to need the toilet in the middle of the night (maybe until old age????), we should win this battle:)

The rule in our house is put down the seat AND the lid when you're finished regardless which sex you are and what you did. The next person has to lift the lid and maybe the seat, depending on sex and function. But this thread is about public restrooms, not home bathrooms. I doubt women are going into them in the dark, so they should be able to see the seat position before sitting. As Wayne Jr pointed out, men also have to deal with peed-on seats. I'd much rather put the seat down, if what I'm doing requires it, than clean somebody's pee off it.

Let me get this straight...

Women have the ability to navigate the home in the pitch black while half asleep but not to take one second and feel if the toilet seat is up...?

I'd much rather put the seat down, if what I'm doing requires it, than clean somebody's pee off it.
That was going to be my next point... if the seat is up, even at home, then no guy can pee on it. That is better, and more hygienic, for both men and women that need to sit. Women and men that pee sitting down or either that take a dump then finish and raise the seat for the next person to enjoy pee free seats.

or simply say each bathroom is a single person bathroom, no two people at once.
Except the airplane bathroom that is necessary for the Mile High Club.

That was going to be my next point... if the seat is up, even at home, then no guy can pee on it. That is better, and more hygienic, for both men and women that need to sit. Women and men that pee sitting down or either that take a dump then finish and raise the seat for the next person to enjoy pee free seats.

That's why we put the lid down. Guys have to raise it and that reminds them to raise the seat as well - it's just as easy to raise them both simultaneously. Requiring users to lower the lid when finished thus keeps the seat pee-free for the next user and eliminates the female complaint about leaving it up. But a lot of public toilets don't have lids, so those seats should be left up.

That's why we put the lid down. Guys have to raise it and that reminds them to raise the seat as well - it's just as easy to raise them both simultaneously. Requiring users to lower the lid when finished thus keeps the seat pee-free for the next user and eliminates the female complaint about leaving it up. But a lot of public toilets don't have lids, so those seats should be left up.
IF women would just put the seat up and not complain about it the world might spin a little smoother on it's Axis, thus ending Global Warming.

And yet building codes still went into place requiring them. Since when has the government ever waited for a market place pressure to occur before they required things by law? Not to mention that there have been business that have ignored market place pressures, especially if they were the only or the best game in town.

As I mentioned - the more local the law, the more I support it. I think we are talking in circles at this point.

Women have the ability to navigate the home in the pitch black while half asleep but not to take one second and feel if the toilet seat is up...?
My house never seems to be quite pitch black - just from outdoor neighborhood lighting filtering into the bathroom window. But, my husband almost always puts the seat down, as I think polite guys should. But, on rare occasions, he hasn't. If a woman lived with a man who didn't typically put the seat down, I suppose she'd take that second to check out of a well formed habit. Middle of the night trips to the bathroom aren't wide awake, observant and checking events for me. If possible, I try to stay as unawake as I can so I don't then spend the next hour or two awake and unnecessarily tossing and turning while thinking about who knows what.

As I already talked about, who knows what one will find in a co-ed public restroom. But at home in the bedroom bathroom, it's just my husband and me using it and we both use it in the most typical way for our particular gender. After decades together, he lifts and then lowers the toilet seat for his use and remembers about 99% of the time. I think the only times he's forgotten is if an unexpected or distracting something has happened that grabbed his attention mid flush and potentially if he's had too much to drink - but we're at the age where that rarely happens because it stinks to feel lousy the next morning and older people can't recover as fast as 20 somethings can.
I can assure you, the toilet seat is always pee free in my home. I've always been the house cleaner at my home and I'm very good at that job. Any toilet seat with the tiniest drop of pee on it pretty much makes me gag. Which takes me back to a public restroom. If a toilet seat is at all dirty, I WON'T sit on it. I'll use toilet paper to lift it and then give my quads a good work out by squatting.

I've never seen the inside of a men's restroom at a place like a large football stadium but I expect there are some advantages to not having individual cubicles in that there is never a line like there can be for a ladies restroom:)

exactly!

do you know how many times in my 40+ years i sat down and the seat wasn't down . . ONCE . . because now I always check duh

Biological sex should determine what restroom you use. It's just about the science.

so this "biological woman" should be forced to use the womans restroom?
trans-man-in-cowboy-hat.jpg

and this "biological man" should forced to use the mens?
1.jpg

they are among the many that participated in a campaign when rules were forcing them to use the opposite bathroom of their gender identity to take pics and show how silly it is.

No thanks, im good with people using the restroom their gender identity is based on. get in , get out and go about your business.

You'd never get political support for that and simply attempting it would end whatever political career put you in a position to propose laws in the first place. We The People do not want cameras in restrooms.
Since we're in a thought experiment, and the context was whatever you came up with would pass......

I've never seen the inside of a men's restroom at a place like a large football stadium but I expect there are some advantages to not having individual cubicles in that there is never a line like there can be for a ladies restroom:)

Oh, there can be a line.

Usually there are a row of sinks, a few stalls with toilets, and a row of urinals which may or may not have partitions between. I suspect women's are pretty much the same except for the urinals. In addition to defecation, men may use the toilets for urination if there are no unoccupied urinals or they want privacy

Back
Top Bottom