• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans are blowing up their own agenda to 'own the libs'

Vern

back from Vegas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
This will come as no shock to any sentient being but republicans are once again proving they are unfit to govern. Sure this latest example isnt the flaming lying hypocrisy of opposing Obamacare or feigning concern for deficits only when a democrat is president but its just more proof.

Over the past week Republicans have been blocking their own policy goals in order to make legislating more difficult for the Democratic majority.

Politico's Andrew Desiderio reports that over in the Senate, what once seemed like a bipartisan slam-dunk bill meant to shore up the US government and its allies against growing Chinese aggression is being blocked by Republicans in committee. They complain that good ideas are being "left on the cutting-room floor."

they hate losing more than anything, but rather than do the right things, they do the opposite. And they wonder why they lose and are a shrinking party. Look in the mirror its that simple.

That's because 99% of the modern Republican party since Newt circa 1995 is to suck at their job then say "See, government doesn't work".
The other 1% of the modern Republican party is there not even to govern whatsoever but to make money off the fame and power (Marjorie, Gaetz)

Republicans lost their damn minds after Obama got elected.

I remember when Bush was leaving office and thinking to myself, good I’m glad we got that over. Now, we can get on with the business of being rational adults that respect good governance.

had I only known. I do think Bush takes the cake for worst President in U.S. history but, his Republican successor is within inches. And Bush started a war of aggression that killed 200,000 civilians.

I remember the Bush years and thinking to myself, good I’m glad we got that over. Now, we can get on with the business of being rational adults that respect good governance.

had I only known. I do think Bush takes the cake for worst President in U.S. history but, his Republican successor is within inches. And Bush started a war of aggression that killed 200,000 civilians.
they couldn't stand the fact a black man was in the White House.

Nevermind, @Winston ...he answered for you: A black man won.
I think Occam’s razor is that.
They lied so profusely and shamelessly about him and pretended to be against things that were overtures to them. It was one display of contempt after the next

They lied so profusely and shamelessly about him and pretended to be against things that were overtures to them. It was one display of contempt after the next
It was all black man scare tactics. If you remember: His Reverend was a scary black man. And he was from Kenya (black person place). And his middle name was Hussain (terrorist name).

It was all just random crap meant to be racist.

It was all black man scare tactics. If you remember: His Reverend was a scary black man. And he was from Kenya (black person place). And his middle name was Hussain (terrorist name).

Yeah, Southern Strategy on steroids

I've never had a single Republican take the dare to read that pastor's FULL SPEECH.

The people who blasted that quote never, ever blast white preachers who claim that "this country is going to hell."

I don't even agree with all of Jeremiah Wright's talking points in that sermon.
For instance, I don't have a problem with us bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
In fact, I praise the restraint we used because IIRC we had...what was it...FIVE or SIX more bombs ready to go?
We paused and waited. We didn't have to, we could have "emptied the clip" and dropped all six, but we waited.
We waited after the first one, no surrender, we waited after the second one, and finally after we informed Japan we had more, they finally surrendered.

But all in all, Wright's sermon serves as a cautionary tale more than anything else.
The reason people admire this country, or DID admire it in the past, is because we were seen as mostly benevolent despite our flaws.
In recent years that perception has changed.

That's because 99% of the modern Republican party since Newt circa 1995 is to suck at their job then say "See, government doesn't work".
The other 1% of the modern Republican party is there not even to govern whatsoever but to make money off the fame and power (Marjorie, Gaetz)
Yeah, Newt definitely taught them the trick of making government not work, then running on a "government doesn't work" platform.

I remember when Bush was leaving office and thinking to myself, good I’m glad we got that over. Now, we can get on with the business of being rational adults that respect good governance.

Oh my. Worst president ever? Bush was a moron in a way that now seems quaint, like back when morons were just kinda dumb and couldn't pronounce nuclear, instead of full blown carrot-colored drooling idiots. But what metric is there where Bush was worse than Trump?

Oh my. Worst president ever? Bush was a moron in a way that now seems quaint, like back when morons were just kinda dumb and couldn't pronounce nuclear, instead of full blown carrot-colored drooling idiots. But what metric is there where Bush was worse than Trump?

I am massively against the Iraq war. I think it ruined our credibility in the eyes of the world and it also gained us nothing. It also took the lives of far too many innocents. It made us out into the villains on the world stage.
Bush also left us The Great Recession and passed huge tax cuts. But, I think the Iraq war is the deciding factor

I am massively against the Iraq war. I think it ruined our credibility in the eyes of the world and it also gained us nothing. It also took the lives of far too many innocents. It made us out into the villains on the world stage.
Bush also left us The Great Recession and passed huge tax cuts. But, I think the Iraq war is the deciding factor
Trump is clearly an emotionally stunted thin skinned teenager but the fact is Bush ignored the clear and repeated warnings of 9-11, lied us into Iraq killing hundreds of thousands of people and creating ISIS then destroyed the economy with his housing policies. But he didnt try to turn us into Venezuala like trump was doing. We can recover from the physical damage bush caused but trump's damage trying to destroy democracy will last far longer. Its close but I have to go with trump.

Reasonable perspective, thanks. I go more with Vern's take in the post after yours, but I can see how you would conclude otherwise.

Reasonable perspective, thanks. I go more with Vern's take in the post after yours, but I can see how you would conclude otherwise.
Trump is clearly an emotionally stunted thin skinned teenager but the fact is Bush ignored the clear and repeated warnings of 9-11, lied us into Iraq killing hundreds of thousands of people and creating ISIS then destroyed the economy with his housing policies. But he didnt try to turn us into Venezuala like trump was doing. We can recover from the physical damage bush caused but trump's damage trying to destroy democracy will last far longer. Its close but I have to go with trump.

it’s a close call tbh.

I think an argument can also be made for Bush being worse because he wraps imperialism and basically everything the GOP stands for in the cloak of “compassionate conservatism” making it palatable to people who hated Trump because he tore the mask off.

This will come as no shock to any sentient being but republicans are once again proving they are unfit to govern. Sure this latest example isnt the flaming lying hypocrisy of opposing Obamacare or feigning concern for deficits only when a democrat is president but its just more proof.

Over the past week Republicans have been blocking their own policy goals in order to make legislating more difficult for the Democratic majority.

Politico's Andrew Desiderio reports that over in the Senate, what once seemed like a bipartisan slam-dunk bill meant to shore up the US government and its allies against growing Chinese aggression is being blocked by Republicans in committee. They complain that good ideas are being "left on the cutting-room floor."

Good to hear. The truth is, these guys aren't really Republicans. They're Trump worshipers. Big difference. I hope they trip over their own feet. I'm craving normalcy.

All true. Trump tried to overthrow an election and undermine our democracy. That is unforgivable.

Don't forget the Republican congressman that yelled "YOU LIE" in the middle of Obama's State of the Union address.

Back
Top Bottom