• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republican Sen. Mike Lee said fact-checking is a form of censorship

the statement that the GOP intentionality pursues low IQ individuals for public office candidates is false

I'm not a government official is the difference.

The Trump administration told us that Trumps tweets constitute official White House statements.

Why should Trump be allowed to toss out disinformation and lies as official WH statements?

Facts are facts. Even the Daily Fail can't change that, try as they may.

Yes facts are facts. But should it not be asked who the fact checkers are and why we should trust their particular take on the facts as being definitive?

I understand his point, assuming the snippet of his quote in your source provides the full context. So-called “fact checkers” have as much bias as anyone else, and that bias can be seen in the comments they make. The problem is there is no objective “gold standard” that’s acceptable to a broad range of ideologies. One side or the other can point to the “fact checker’s” bias as a way to disqualify them.
Of course, which is why the normal "free speech" argument is that "fact checking" is also protected speech, and the government should keep its grubby, invasive, incompetent and also biased hands off the activity.

It's pretty shocking to me to see so-called 'conservatives' in government throwing these principles overboard when they simply don't like the speech, because in their biased opinion it's unfair and very mean to conservatives....

Yes facts are facts. But should it not be asked who the fact checkers are and why we should trust their particular take on the facts as being definitive?
Sure, ask, be skeptical, don't trust, ignore if you want, point out when they're wrong, etc. But Sen. Lee is arguing if the fact checkers aren't doing it right, according to Big Brother, it's censorship and presumably government should step in and fix it, because free speech I think.

You should actually know what you are referencing rather than just regurgitating a misleading headline.

Low IQ? OMG that is a gut buster: he clerked for future Supreme Court Justice Sam Alito on the third circuit and was associated with Sidley and Austin ( the firm where Michele Obama couldn't hack it)

FB fact checks-using less than objective sources-conservative posts-but rarely does the same to leftwing assertions. So Senator Lee's comments have some merit.
Any chance to slam Michelle Obama, even when so far from the truth you can't see it with a search light.
Michelle couldn't "hack" the corporate bs of a 400 member firm that had 5 African Americans, and boring assignments. I think she's pretty well proved she can "hack" just about anything.

“The board members come from different professional, cultural and religious backgrounds and have various political viewpoints,” they wrote in a New York Times op-ed on May 6. “Some of us have been publicly critical of Facebook; some of us haven’t.”

Contemporaneous news articles reinforced this message, reporting that the board’s ideologically and geographically diverse members criss-cross the ideological spectrum.

A closer look, however, reveals that 18 of its 20 members collaborated with or are tied to groups that have received funding from George Soros’ Open Society Foundations – which is one of the most well-funded and influential progressive organizations in the country
."

Any chance to slam Michelle Obama, even when so far from the truth you can't see it with a search light.
Michelle couldn't "hack" the corporate bs of a 400 member firm that had 5 African Americans, and boring assignments. I think she's pretty well proved she can "hack" just about anything.
she was an affirmative action hire who just didn't have the tools to compete. Guess what-when you are an associate at a big firm like that, your first few years is filled with grunt work. The "exciting" assignments go to people with more seniority and experience.

Do you think FB is objective and unbiased with its "fact checking"
I do not know and do not care. FB is IMO a force for evil in this world, and I don't use it, ever. But that's not the question or my point. What should Big Brother do about the exercise of free speech (fact checking in this case) in a way that's allegedly, according to a biased elitist in government such as Sen Lee, subjective and/or unbiased. Which bunch of government bureaucrats needs to regulate this speech so that it's in the opinion of elitists in government unbiased and objective?

I see dozens of posts a week on FB that have the "fact checking" squad intervening and everyone of them is of a conservative nature. Then I see blatant lies by lefties that are never "fact checked"
And you are running to Big Brother to make it right, like a true conservative!

I do not know and do not care. FB is IMO a force for evil in this world, and I don't use it, ever. But that's not the question or my point. What should Big Brother do about the exercise of free speech (fact checking in this case) in a way that's allegedly, according to a biased elitist in government such as Sen Lee, subjective and/or unbiased. Which bunch of government bureaucrats needs to regulate this speech so that it's in the opinion of elitists in government unbiased and objective?

And you are running to Big Brother to make it right, like a true conservative!

The federal laws on campaign contributions are what are important. When a major hi tech business is suppressing stories that tend to harm the Democrats while trumpeting "news" that attacks Trump, that can be seen as an "in kind" campaign contribution.

she was an affirmative action hire who just didn't have the tools to compete. Guess what-when you are an associate at a big firm like that, your first few years is filled with grunt work. The "exciting" assignments go to people with more seniority and experience.
Yes, obviously a firm like that is excellent at judging potential, losing not only Michelle, but also Barack Obama as members.:rolleyes:

You have no evidence that she was an "affirmative action hire" , your go-to slur. Was her record better than yours?

The federal laws on campaign contributions are what are important. When a major hi tech business is suppressing stories that tend to harm the Democrats while trumpeting "news" that attacks Trump, that can be seen as an "in kind" campaign contribution.
I see, so you're just in favor of heavily regulating political speech, which is of course exactly the kind of speech the founders had in mind that should NOT be protected. Speech about puppies? Yes! Politics? LOL, of course not!

You and Sen. Lee have the fancy ivy league degrees, so maybe you can fill me in on how that jives with USSC precedent on protected speech. Am I right that political speech is way down on the list of what the 1A was intended to protect? Pretty sure that's the case, and I cannot see ANY problems if the government determines that if an outlet is too biased in its coverage that they run afoul of political contribution laws and should be subjected to fines, maybe jail. If free speech means nothing else it means that Big Brother ought to prosecute biased political speech.

I see, so you're just in favor of heavily regulating political speech, which is of course exactly the kind of speech the founders had in mind that should NOT be protected. Speech about puppies? Yes! Politics? LOL, of course not!

You and Sen. Lee have the fancy ivy league degrees, so maybe you can fill me in on how that jives with USSC precedent on protected speech. Am I right that political speech is way down on the list of what the 1A was intended to protect? Pretty sure that's the case, and I cannot see ANY problems if the government determines that if an outlet is too biased in its coverage that they run afoul of political contribution laws and should be subjected to fines, maybe jail. If free speech means nothing else it means that Big Brother ought to prosecute biased political speech.

wrong again, I am in favor of enforcing the laws on the books. What fancy Ivy Degree does Senator Lee Have? His undergraduate degree is from BYU as his his law degree

thumb.cms

Senator Lee (R-UT) exemplifies the low IQ types that the GOP advances for public office.

The Republicans are irritated because Twitter/Facebook/Google are fact-checking [habitual liar] Donald Trump, and killing Giuliani conspiracy smears against Joe Biden.

Lee is what the Republican Party has become, ie, fascist.

Making America Russia Instead.

wrong again, I am in favor of enforcing the laws on the books. What fancy Ivy Degree does Senator Lee Have? His undergraduate degree is from BYU as his his law degree
My apologies!! BYU? LOL!

And like I said, I cannot see ANY problems if the government determines that if an outlet is too biased in its political coverage (i.e. political speech) that they run afoul of political contribution laws and should be subjected to government prosecution, fines, maybe jail. If free speech means nothing else it means that Big Brother ought to prosecute biased political speech. I'm pretty sure that's all consistent with Supreme Court precedence on the matter, but you know better than I, what with your ivy league degree and all.

I can't wait until we have Queen AOC in charge of this bureaucracy, and I'm sure you won't have a problem when those AOC appoints get to decide which speech is within her guidelines and which political speech merits prosecution, fines, perhaps jail, as the founders intended.

Lee is what the Republican Party has become, ie, fascist.

It is incredible. In the Trump era, we have so-called libertarians and conservatives effectively arguing for Big Brother regulating political speech. The only principle left in the right wing is 'own the libs at all costs.' If you use that as your guiding star, almost everything they do makes sense in this era.

Do you think FB is objective and unbiased with its "fact checking" I see dozens of posts a week on FB that have the "fact checking" squad intervening and everyone of them is of a conservative nature. Then I see blatant lies by lefties that are never "fact checked"

Said the PutinTrump Rower.

It is incredible. In the Trump era, we have so-called libertarians and conservatives effectively arguing for Big Brother regulating political speech. The only principle left in the right wing is 'own the libs at all costs.' If you use that as your guiding star, almost everything they do makes sense in this era.

Making America Russia Instead is what are on about.

Said the PutinTrump Rower.

what sort of stupidity is that? We get the fact that the TDS crowd keeps trying-and failing-to tie Trump to Putin.

Making America Russia Instead is what are on about.
For decades, American progressives have tried to turn the USA into another USSR. David Broder-the great moderate-noted that when the wall fell down-the American left turned its attention from making the USA into another USSR to trying to balkanize the USA into warring ethnic special interest groups. That continues to this day

thumb.cms

Senator Lee (R-UT) exemplifies the low IQ types that the GOP advances for public office.

The Republicans are irritated because Twitter/Facebook/Google are fact-checking [habitual liar] Donald Trump, and killing Giuliani conspiracy smears against Joe Biden.
Because they're "fact-checking" using the Progressive Holy Scripture as the baseline. And then slanting that result to please the Progressive power structure.
There is no FACT checking on the left - your beloved leader Joe the Demented once steaks "we choose truths over facts".

For decades, American progressives have tried to turn the USA into another USSR. David Broder-the great moderate-noted that when the wall fell down-the American left turned its attention from making the USA into another USSR to trying to balkanize the USA into warring ethnic special interest groups. That continues to this day
That speech looks pretty biased to me. In fact virtually all of your political speech appears hopelessly biased to me. How big is your in-kind political contribution to the GOP (or maybe the 'libertarian party") for that biased political speech? Under the limits? I sure hope so!! Wouldn't want Big Brother to come after you for your excessive and biased political speech that's considered a campaign contribution under the law, and therefore subject to prosecution, fines, perhaps jail by the government!

what sort of stupidity is that? We get the fact that the TDS crowd keeps trying-and failing-to tie Trump to Putin.

Alas, it's the old TDS desperation long since gone beyond desperation.

PutinTrumpRowers have no defense of 'em and yourselves which is why the TDS cliche' remains the vacuous rule.

It never meant anything anyhow and it marks you guys extreme desperation of the moment.

Absolute desperation.

Always.

Now I know with confidence you never won a case in a court of law unless the judge was a pants down kegger like Kavenaugh or the jury was imported from Moscow.

Because they're "fact-checking" using the Progressive Holy Scripture as the baseline. And then slanting that result to please the Progressive power structure.
There is no FACT checking on the left - your beloved leader Joe the Demented once steaks "we choose truths over facts".

Don't you guys have some bleach to inject.

Back
Top Bottom