• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Fitzpatrick Violated Constitution on Same Day He Read it Aloud in Public

winston53660

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ah for all the grandstanding going on:lamo

Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick​
Pete Sessions of Texas and Mike Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania did not get off to a smooth start at the beginning of the 112th Congress. The Republican lawmakers skipped the official swearing in of all members on the House floor because they were attending Fitzpatrick’s “celebration”—of his swearing in—in the Capitol’s Visitor Center. Said celebration was a fundraiser, where attendees were asked to pay at least $30 (or more).

Fundraisers are forbidden from taking place in the visitor center, according to congressional rules.

Just as bad was the fact that by not attending the real swearing in, both representatives wound up voting on actions and legislation without being official members of Congress. This represented a violation of the Constitution, the very same document which Republicans—including Fitzpatrick— decided to read out loud on the House floor after being sworn in to demonstrate how serious they are about doing things the right way.

By the time someone figured out Sessions and Fitzpatrick were illegally conducting official business, they had already voted eight times.

Ah for all the grandstanding going on:lamo

Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick​
Pete Sessions of Texas and Mike Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania did not get off to a smooth start at the beginning of the 112th Congress. The Republican lawmakers skipped the official swearing in of all members on the House floor because they were attending Fitzpatrick’s “celebration”—of his swearing in—in the Capitol’s Visitor Center. Said celebration was a fundraiser, where attendees were asked to pay at least $30 (or more).

Fundraisers are forbidden from taking place in the visitor center, according to congressional rules.

Just as bad was the fact that by not attending the real swearing in, both representatives wound up voting on actions and legislation without being official members of Congress. This represented a violation of the Constitution, the very same document which Republicans—including Fitzpatrick— decided to read out loud on the House floor after being sworn in to demonstrate how serious they are about doing things the right way.

By the time someone figured out Sessions and Fitzpatrick were illegally conducting official business, they had already voted eight times.

Now that you've had your orgasmic fantasy, let's talk about which Constitutional clause was violated. Care to list them?

Now that you've had your orgasmic fantasy, let's talk about which Constitutional clause was violated. Care to list them?

that would be the "incumbency=good" clause. these guys being citizen legislators is... you know.... so gauche...

Is three days long enough or does Winston need more time to list the clauses violated? I won't hold my breath.

Is three days long enough or does Winston need more time to list the clauses violated? I won't hold my breath.
while i hate to be the one causing you to breathe once again, you may want to read the final paragraph of article vi:
Article VI

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwith-standing.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.
Full Text of the Constitution of the United States | Freedom Documents

i thought you were in the armed forces. i certainly had to (swear) affirm my support and defense of the Constitution, figured you would have had that same experience, too
as a federal civil servant, i had to (swear) affirm my support and defense of the Constitution with another oath
why would the congressional representatives be excluded from such obligation?

while i hate to be the one causing you to breathe once again, you may want to read the final paragraph of article vi:

Full Text of the Constitution of the United States | Freedom Documents

i thought you were in the armed forces. i certainly had to (swear) affirm my support and defense of the Constitution, figured you would have had that same experience, too
as a federal civil servant, i had to (swear) affirm my support and defense of the Constitution with another oath
why would the congressional representatives be excluded from such obligation?

So which part of the constitution precludes fundraisers in the capital visitor's center?

So which part of the constitution precludes fundraisers in the capital visitor's center?

Actually, this one likely violated federal rules against campaign fundraising on federal property.

Federal Property Campaign Fundraising Reform Act of 2000

I don't believe the OP said that both things violated the Constitution. But it certainly is questionable that these Congressmen were having a "party" during what was supposed to be their swearing in ceremony.

The invitations said buses would provide round-trip transportation from Pennsylvania and cited a price of $30 per person. An accompanying form repeatedly describes the money as a "contribution," and attendees are asked to write their checks to Fitzpatrick's campaign committee.

Read more: Groups, Dems criticize GOP event in Capitol - KansasCity.com

They should have been getting sworn into the job they were elected to do, not partying with campaign donators or potential campaign donators.

Actually, this one likely violated federal rules against campaign fundraising on federal property.

Federal Property Campaign Fundraising Reform Act of 2000

I don't believe the OP said that both things violated the Constitution. But it certainly is questionable that these Congressmen were having a "party" during what was supposed to be their swearing in ceremony.

Read more: Groups, Dems criticize GOP event in Capitol - KansasCity.com

They should have been getting sworn into the job they were elected to do, not partying with campaign donators or potential campaign donators.

Ahh. Misread.
Your sig quote, by the way, I think was Jack Handy.

Back
Top Bottom