• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Remembering 9/11

AlbqOwl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sunday is the Fourth anniversary. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing on 9/11? What was going through your mind?

For a compelling summary of that day, the slide show at this site may take a bit to load, but it is a poignant reminder:

http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

AlbqOwl said:
Sunday is the Fourth anniversary. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing on 9/11? What was going through your mind?

For a compelling summary of that day, the slide show at this site may take a bit to load, but it is a poignant reminder:

http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

I remember exactly. I remember that at that time while I was going through the parts room when I still worked for someone other than myself I was physically shaking. My boss said to me me, "what, are you scared"? I explained to him that if you could paradrop me on those that did this with nothing but my Nunchaka I'm there. I regained my senses shortly thereafter. Anyone want to talk about rage? I still hold that rage, tempered with sense. Nice question bro. Too many seem to forget this. I still want to make those that did this STONE COLD FRIGGIN DEAD. Grudgemeister? Me.

teacher said:
Too many seem to forget this.
Exactly. There seems to be this "let's move on" mentality. We can move on after everyone who shares that type of philosophy is buried.

I was watching FoxNews kicking back and getting ready to enjoy my day off.

I saw the replay of the first airplane hit the first tower - seconds after it happened.

I reached for the phone and it rang (in that order) - good friend of mine on the other end. The guy I wanted to call.

He was on CNN and I was on Fox, we somewhat collaborated the diffences.
We really said very little, but sat silent for the next few minutes to watch #2 hit.

A few OMG's later - we hung up and called our wives.

I was alone driving to work when my favorite morning radio host, Larry Ahrens, interrupted his own monologue to report that a passenger liner had hit the World Trade Center. I thought 'that's awful' and felt bad for the people dead and injured, but my thoughts again wandered to other things. Then Larry again interrupted his monologue. He recounted watching on TV the smoke and fire billowing up from the tower, and while he was watching the second plane flew into view. He reported it as it was happening and then there was a moment of dead silence before he said, "This has to be deliberate folks." I pulled into the parking lot and ran into the building hollering at people to get their radios on. And I called my husband.

My first thoughts were it had to be some kind of bizarre double accident. Once the reality sunk in, the anger and frustration at being unable to do anything came up. I still feel it when I think about it. Those pictures I linked bring it all back.

To put it bluntly...I was asleep...

I work overnight, so I came home and was asleep by 9AM...woke up around 2:30PM and found out while switching channels.

I became of of those people that spent the next two weeks on the couch with empty soda cans and potato chip bags all around me...

I have Howard Stern's program from that day...I play it every so often as a reminder of the emotions from that day...

Originally posted by cnredd:

I work overnight, so I came home and was asleep by 9AM...woke up around 2:30PM and found out while switching channels.

I became of of those people that spent the next two weeks on the couch with empty soda cans and potato chip bags all around me...

I have Howard Stern's program from that day...I play it every so often as a reminder of the emotions from that day...
Hey, you didn't say anything about Iraq!

Originally posted by teacher:
I explained to him that if you could paradrop me on those that did this with nothing but my Nunchaka I'm there.
"...Nunchaka..." are illegal!

cnredd said:

At that time, I did as well.

Did you know anyone that was in the towers?

Did that affect the way you view politics?

That day sparked in me the realization that I wanted to discuss this with someone I didn't know and get their take. IRC, was NOT the place to be that day or even the next few weeks. I signed up in dozens of political forums over the next few months. Soon, I realized that no-one cared or listened to my point of view - unless they agree'd.

In a very weird direction of events, that I why I am here. I don't want to do the couch potatoe thing when events happen. Would much rather discuss them.

AlbqOwl said:
My first thoughts were it had to be some kind of bizarre double accident.

I was watching the morning news that day as it all unfolded. As I recall, first reports were that a small aircraft had hit the WTC. Then as things progressed and video came in showing passenger aircraft flying directly into the buildings my mind temporarily flashed back to my Air Force days and I thought that an air traffic controllers' equipment had failed and they were mistakenly guiding the aircraft through the wrong flightpath. Of course, almost immediately, I regained my clarity and realized that it was a clear day and the pilots were flying visual flight rules, but it shows how the mind was trying to justify the bizarre scene I was witnessing. The rest of the day I was like everyone else, numb and watching in disbelief as the towers collapsed.

I don't think anyone will forget that as long as they live. I still remember when JFK was assassinated.

Billo_Really said:
Hey, you didn't say anything about Iraq!
you didn't say where you were either.

Not in Iraq or Afganistan.

Originally posted by Vauge:
Soon, I realized that no-one cared or listened to my point of view - unless they agree'd.
What is your "...point of view..."?

you didn't say where you were either.
I was at my grandmothers watching with my mother right after the second jet hit.

vauge said:
At that time, I did as well.

That day sparked in me the realization that I wanted to discuss this with someone I didn't know and get their take. IRC, was NOT the place to be that day or even the next few weeks. I signed up in dozens of political forums over the next few months. Soon, I realized that no-one cared or listened to my point of view - unless they agree'd.

In a very weird direction of events, that I why I am here. I don't want to do the couch potatoe thing when events happen. Would much rather discuss them.

I am the same way. The current hurricane aftermath crisis is filled with human tragedy, suffering, and misery. I have already checked on those I know near the area and all are okay. That doesn't mean I as an American and as a human being do not have a dog in that fight. Talking about it lets at least some of us sort through our emotions, prejudices, biases, ideology, cultural conditioning, and preconceived notions and move through a process of ever-changing perceptions with hopes of eventually arriving at a point at or near the truth. So it was and is with 9/11.

I didn't know anyone on the planes or in the towers or in the Pentagon. I didn't know who any of them were other than Barbara Olson. That did not prevent a kick in the stomach. It just meant that my grief and anguish was focused on the whole picture and not diverted by grief over the loss of a loved one. So many even now can't get past their ideological and/or political blame game on this one whether the blame is focused on the previous or present administration. My hope is that in talking about it, I can reconcile in my own mind the correct response concerning compassion, rescue, restitution, restoration, and retribution re a mass murder committed by presumably conscienceless terrorists.

Last edited:
vauge said:
Nope.

vauge said:
In solidified my previous-held perceptions...I've always favored National & International politics...I haven't watched local news in years, but I've watched national news every day since 9/11. Philly didn't have FoxNews until right after 9/11...I don't know if Comcast already had it in the works or if that tragedy made it available...

cnredd said:
I say that "tongue-in-cheek"...Just saying that when I was home, all attention was directed in one place...

vauge said:

I live in Philly...not a big Conservative town, to say the least...

I wasn't big on forums until last year..I was looking for info on F9/11 and came across moorewatch.com...I was a daily contributor there until someone linked something to here(Now you know where to direct your blame!:2wave:)

I was reading the Poll - Michael Moore - liberator or slanderer- when I realized that this forum had much more to offer in terms of subject matter than the narrowly defined forum I was on...so i switched...

Downhill ever since!:lol:

Billo_Really said:
What is your "...point of view..."?
It didn't matter, if I weren't in the "in circle" of the forum groups - my opinion didn't count. Same with IRC.

cnredd said:
I wasn't big on forums until last year..I was looking for info on F9/11 and came across moorewatch.com...I was a daily contributor there until someone linked something to here(Now you know where to direct your blame!:2wave:)

I was reading the Poll - Michael Moore - liberator or slanderer- when I realized that this forum had much more to offer in terms of subject matter than the narrowly defined forum I was on...so i switched...

Downhill ever since!:lol:
I can't remember who made that link - but we got DOZENS of hits that day from that site. The web stats went crazy, so I clicked on it to find out who the culprit was. The link had been removed and whomever put it up there got spanked for linking to a "stupid" forum or something like that.

:rofl

It didn't matter, if I weren't in the "in circle" of the forum groups - my opinion didn't count. Same with IRC.
I could careless about "in circles". I've spent my whole life outside these circles by choice. It would be nice if you just answered the question.

Billo_Really said:
I could careless about "in circles". I've spent my whole life outside these circles by choice. It would be nice if you just answered the question.
It would be equally nice if you realized that I was talking in context rather than absolutes about forums & IRC.

What exactly about my opinion of 911 would you like to know?

It would be equally nice if you realized that I was talking in context rather than absolutes about forums & IRC.

What exactly about my opinion of 911 would you like to know?
I think you just told me.

I was in a meeting with a european commissioner..
and learned when we got out what happened.

I'll always remember the worst terrorist attack of the 20 th century in a country of the "developed West". As i will always remember the worst attack on people in the 20th century, as I will always remember the worst atack in Belgium (2 deads), as I will always remember the holocaust, as I will always remeber the end of WWI and WWII...

But yes, 911 is part of those huge losses of innocent lives that shape the world.

But what I also will always remember is that there were ass****s in the US that USED this to wage a useless and illegal war on people already dying from useless and stupidb sanctions enforced by someone.

Memory can stick both ways.

Y

epr64 said:
But what I also will always remember is that there were ass****s in the US that USED this to wage a useless and illegal war on people already dying from useless and stupidb sanctions enforced by someone.

Memory can stick both ways.

Y

Nice...

I really liked the way you take a thread dedicated to the memories of the forum members and turn it into a political diatribe...

Kneejerk reaction or a deliberate attempt to belittle our memories?:roll:

Yes this is Sunday, 9/11/05, four years from the day that 3000 Americans and guests died, some murdered, and some who voluntarily gave their lives to save others. The memories, especially when they replay those awful scenes today, still bring up the feelings of rage and frustration and deep sorrow at the incalculable loss.

There are dozens of invitations to bash the President on other threads. Let's keep this one for the purpose of remembering.

Billo_Really said:

So is walking around with your face hanging off TV personalities foreheads.

(Made myself laugh on that one.)

So one day my kids and I were walking out of a grocery store. A little ways across the lot was two rednecks doing donuts of the wet pavement. They lost control and bashed into a curb. I pointed and laughed. They heard and/or saw me. They proceeded to shout fouls things at me and started to make their way towards me. I scooted the kids into the truck and reached under the seat for my chuks, as there were two of them. I heard one tell the other "he's got a gun" and they bolted. Think a cop seeing me with chuks (and kids), and hearing my story after running my clean record would have pursued that?

The morale of the story?

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Personnally, I'm sick of remembering 9/11. Not more than a month after it happened, there was a commercial about it on TV. I hate commercials. If the Administration hadn't of used this as an opportunity to trash our Constitution, I might have more empathy towards the tragedy. But since they used it to cram bullshit down our throats like the Patriot Act, f___'em!

Back
Top Bottom