• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rehnquist is dead...

RecoveringPunk said:
This just shows how ****ing stubborn conservatives are. The geezer was dying, and he refused to resign. What a prick.

I hope that the liberals in the senate continue to filibuster the supreme court nominees. The SCOTUS should be a moderate entity, considering that's what it's supposed to do(haha, pun!).

Mark my words, the minute Bush appoints two Naz... i mean Neoconservative judges, I'm packing my **** up and going to Canada. Life is too short to spend in a country that is run by a man who attempts to pass laws that are based on extremist religious morals.

good riddance a** hole, and did you seriously just call rhenquist a prick? The man just died why don't you show some f*****n respect!

Billo_Really said:
I'm not too sure what your saying here. Could you explain.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was merely commenting on the fact that the Bush nominee Roberts holds constructionalist views, as opposed to, living document views. If you don't know what that means google it.

Would it honestly have made a difference if I called him that before he died(which I did on a regular basis)? Either way, it's equally disrespectful.

no I wouldn't, I love the leftist whack jobs like Kennedy, Moor, Frankin, Durbin, Dean, etc etc. They're better than advertising campaigns they prove us right with every one of their America bashing words.

RecoveringPunk said:
This just shows how ****ing stubborn conservatives are. The geezer was dying, and he refused to resign. What a prick.

I hope that the liberals in the senate continue to filibuster the supreme court nominees. The SCOTUS should be a moderate entity, considering that's what it's supposed to do(haha, pun!).

Mark my words, the minute Bush appoints two Naz... i mean Neoconservative judges, I'm packing my **** up and going to Canada. Life is too short to spend in a country that is run by a man who attempts to pass laws that are based on extremist religious morals.

I believe Rehnquist stayed on to the end, because he had a chance to be the longest-serving Justice, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps even the oldest Justice.

I hope the President nominated Antonin Scalia to the position of Chief Justice, and replaces his seat with, of course, a conservative. Enforcing life for unborn babies, and marriage between a man and a woman isn't exactly EXTREME. I can hardly think of a single religion that believes in those things...

KevinWan said:
I believe Rehnquist stayed on to the end, because he had a chance to be the longest-serving Justice, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps even the oldest Justice.

I hope the President nominated Antonin Scalia to the position of Chief Justice, and replaces his seat with, of course, a conservative. Enforcing life for unborn babies, and marriage between a man and a woman isn't exactly EXTREME. I can hardly think of a single religion that believes in those things...
Injecting religion into politics? That's extreme.

Anybody who had been paying attention during the 2000 and 2004 campaigns could not have missed the observation that George W. Bush could very likely appoint two or more Supreme Court justices. That was becoming very obvious by the 2004 campaign. But George Bush won that election with a comfortable majority vote, and substantial electoral college vote, and that says he is the lawful, duly elected president chosen by the people.

It is his prerogative, duty, and responsibility to make appointments to fill vacancies among the federal judges and Supreme Court justices, and he would be far less than honest if he did not appoint the kind of judges he said he would appoint during his campaign. The only litmus test he requires is that the Judge be one committed to interpret the law as it is written and not make new law according to his/her own ideology. He is getting that kind of judge with Roberts. I trust him to appoint that kind of judge to replace Rehnquist as well.

With all due respect to Rehnquist and his years of service on the court, I am not a big fan of someone who betrays our constitution, and literally committed perjury in his 1986 testimony, and the right wing shrugged its shoulders like it was no big deal.

I cannot be a fan of someone who allows political bias to alter his rational thinking of what's best for our nation.

I cannot be a fan of someone who allows a civil law suit to be brought up against any sitting president.

Of course what Rehnquist has done to our constitution is not punishable by any law in the land, so what are you gonna do?

If you want proof, I'll be happy to provide it, but as this is Labor Day weekend, and I have a gig today, I will probably not be back on this computer until Tuesday or Wednesday night.

In conclusion, and again, with all due respect to the deceased, anyone who is appointed in place of Rehnquist will be an improvement. IMHO

RIP, your honor.

shuamort said:
Injecting religion into politics? That's extreme.

Nope, not extreme. The founding fathers did it, and people have done it in this country sense the very beginning. Religion is part of one's character and ideology, and so should recieve equal consideration into one's policy decisions. And its not exactly religion we're talking about here... its more morality and ethics. We're not talking about making everyone attend church on Sundays.

Having a kiniption fit over a petty thing like maybe having our leaders saying "God" or "Jesus" once in while... thats extreme.

KevinWan said:
Nope, not extreme. The founding fathers did it, and people have done it in this country sense the very beginning. Religion is part of one's character and ideology, and so should recieve equal consideration into one's policy decisions. And its not exactly religion we're talking about here... its more morality and ethics. We're not talking about making everyone attend church on Sundays.

Having a kiniption fit over a petty thing like maybe having our leaders saying "God" or "Jesus" once in while... thats extreme.

To be honest, there is a segment of radical fundamentalist Christianity that would force others to submit to their religious beliefs. They get an extraordinary amount of press but they are in a distinct and statistically insignificant minority. Their views should not prevail.

And then there is a larger group who would remove all evidence of religion from public view anywhere, and they infringe on religious liberty every bit as much as that group of radical Christians.

I want judges who will recognize that the Constitution speaks against both groups and will rule on that basis. I want judges who interpret the Constitution and the law within the scope of its original intent. I think the President intends to appoint that kind of judge. I support him in that.

AlbqOwl said:
To be honest, there is a segment of radical fundamentalist Christianity that would force others to submit to their religious beliefs. They get an extraordinary amount of press but they are in a distinct and statistically insignificant minority. Their views should not prevail.

And then there is a larger group who would remove all evidence of religion from public view anywhere, and they infringe on religious liberty every bit as much as that group of radical Christians.

I want judges who will recognize that the Constitution speaks against both groups and will rule on that basis. I want judges who interpret the Constitution and the law within the scope of its original intent. I think the President intends to appoint that kind of judge. I support him in that.

I agree. Enforcing the right to life, and marriage between a man and a woman is certainly inside the realm of "Constitutionality." The President will choose someone who enforces basic morality, which the founders intended, while at the same time not being too bound by their religion.

RecoveringPunk said:

I hope that the democrats filibuster the nominees to so then Senator Frist can invoke the Nuclear Option to bust it and then the President's nominees will be confirmed easily........I am with you on this my Liberal friend........

As far as going to Canada Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out........I just wish all the Liberals who promised to leave if President Bush got re elected woul have done so.........

KevinWan said:

Playing fantasy world and injecting fiction into law? That's extreme. Morality and ethics are not intrinsically intertwined with religion. In fact, they precede it.

superskippy said:
Ah just seeing you say that is making this sad news a little lighter. Bush get's a nearly unprecidented 2 Supreme Court Nominees, and with plenty of old members on the Supreme Court a 3rd is always possible, imagine in one presidential stint Bush rebuilds the entire Supreme Court. :rofl
Yeah, pushing even more Fascism. As if that is Good for America.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
good riddance a** hole, and did you seriously just call rhenquist a prick? The man just died why don't you show some f*****n respect!
Oh, and conservatives have ever showed respect. Nope, you are fascists who exploit any chance to impose tyrrany on anything not white and male. Friggin' extemists. Friggin' hypocrite.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
no I wouldn't, I love the leftist whack jobs like Kennedy, Moor, Frankin, Durbin, Dean, etc etc. They're better than advertising campaigns they prove us right with every one of their America bashing words.
What narcissism. They are bashing the rightwingers. That you are so focused on your own bellybutton that you believe that rightwingers are America, well, that's your wigged out problem. (And the reason why extremists like that will send the US into another civil war some day).

KevinWan said:
Enforcing life for unborn babies, and marriage between a man and a woman isn't exactly EXTREME. I can hardly think of a single religion that believes in those things...
But then, it is religious, and yes I can think of a couple that object to such oppression of those not fitting the theocratic, fundie misogyny of the rightwinger evangelicals. Using the Government to oppress people's personal freedom is barbaric, it is fascism. And you, you guys are calling for it with glee. Guess where the next civil war is going to come from?

Hoot said:
With all due respect to Rehnquist and his years of service on the court, I am not a big fan of someone who betrays our constitution, and literally committed perjury in his 1986 testimony, and the right wing shrugged its shoulders like it was no big deal.
But then, rightwingers never care if the liar is conservative. That just means that they will defend them instead. That's common knowledge by now. Otherwise, rove would have been sacked by now and rumsfeld tried for treason for sending our finest into combat without armor.

KevinWan said:

So you **** on the US Constitution, except when you call for it to push your extremism. How hypocritical of you.

Name calling and insults, How tolerant you liberals are......:roll:

steen said:
So you **** on the US Constitution, except when you call for it to push your extremism. How hypocritical of you.
Not allowing Freedom of speech is equal extreamism, no?

There is no "seperation of Church and state". It's amazing how folks took a letter from Jefferson and created such a false representation of what our constitution is all about. That, is truely spitting on the constitution.

May Rehnquist rest in peace.

vauge said:
And your speech ends at my body.
There is no "seperation of Church and state". It's amazing how folks took a letter from Jefferson and created such a false representation of what our constitution is all about. That, is truely spitting on the constitution.
Ah, so the 1st Amendment, that's just a figment of pour imagination. Yes, fundamentalist theocrats have pushed that lie of your for a long time. That doesn't change that it is a lie.

vauge said:

May Rehnquist rest in peace.

There is no privacy clause in the Constitution but Liberals quote one all the time..............

Back
Top Bottom