• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Re: these jobs, which would you do?

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I have a couple of opportunities that I am looking at, job opportunities. I am a little torn, though. I've been wanting to go back to work for a while, but I am not going to just take anything, you know? I am fortunate enough to be a little selective.

OK. The first job is a sure thing. It's mine if I want it. The problem is that it's in a call center (which I am fine with) but it's in a call center environment (cubicles). The job requires that I am available 7 days a week, from 6am to 12midnight. I have to have complete, open availability, including nights, weekends and all holidays, and I am to expect to work Thanksgiving (oh no), Black Friday (HELL no) and Christmas (nope, not that either). It's a temporary position, but if I am solid for the entire tenure of the assignment, chances are I will be hired on permanently.

The 2nd opportunity is pretty sure. I've gone through the entire process - all the testing, assessments, background checks and computer checks, and I am simply waiting on a call from the company with the job offer. It's like a 95% chance I'll get the call, based on my sister-in-law, who works with the company. The 2nd company is a work-from-home call center agent, which is better, because when I built my house, I built a bonus room upstairs, away from everyone else, just in case I went back to this kind of work again. The pay is about the same, the work is actually a bit easier because there are no sales involved, and the hours are basically whatever you want to work - not what they want you to work.

The plusses for me are the hours that I am able to choose, and the fact that I can work from home. My husband is a heart patient, and a diabetic, so I don't like leaving him, but I want to work. I don't need to - he makes more than enough money to pay the bills, goof off on and whatever, but I want to do something. I'm too young to retire and I'm bored. I'd like something during the day.

So this is my dilemma. Do I take the 1st job that's a sure thing? Do I wait for the 2nd job and bypass the 1st? I know which way I am leaning, but I am still a bit unsure. If I pass on the first job, and then the 2nd one doesn't come through, for whatever reason, I'll regret not taking the first job. What would you do, in this situation?

I have a couple of opportunities that I am looking at, job opportunities. I am a little torn, though. I've been wanting to go back to work for a while, but I am not going to just take anything, you know? I am fortunate enough to be a little selective.

OK. The first job is a sure thing. It's mine if I want it. The problem is that it's in a call center (which I am fine with) but it's in a call center environment (cubicles). The job requires that I am available 7 days a week, from 6am to 12midnight. I have to have complete, open availability, including nights, weekends and all holidays, and I am to expect to work Thanksgiving (oh no), Black Friday (HELL no) and Christmas (nope, not that either). It's a temporary position, but if I am solid for the entire tenure of the assignment, chances are I will be hired on permanently.

The 2nd opportunity is pretty sure. I've gone through the entire process - all the testing, assessments, background checks and computer checks, and I am simply waiting on a call from the company with the job offer. It's like a 95% chance I'll get the call, based on my sister-in-law, who works with the company. The 2nd company is a work-from-home call center agent, which is better, because when I built my house, I built a bonus room upstairs, away from everyone else, just in case I went back to this kind of work again. The pay is about the same, the work is actually a bit easier because there are no sales involved, and the hours are basically whatever you want to work - not what they want you to work.

The plusses for me are the hours that I am able to choose, and the fact that I can work from home. My husband is a heart patient, and a diabetic, so I don't like leaving him, but I want to work. I don't need to - he makes more than enough money to pay the bills, goof off on and whatever, but I want to do something. I'm too young to retire and I'm bored. I'd like something during the day.

So this is my dilemma. Do I take the 1st job that's a sure thing? Do I wait for the 2nd job and bypass the 1st? I know which way I am leaning, but I am still a bit unsure. If I pass on the first job, and then the 2nd one doesn't come through, for whatever reason, I'll regret not taking the first job. What would you do, in this situation?

How long can you wait before you decide?

To be able to help you completely I'd need to know more details, e.g. how'd you find out about the job, what commitments have you made or not made etc.

However, here are some tips: most employers understand that their prospective employees are looking for work in more than one place. Most people simply let the prospective employers know this is the case and that you will inform them of your decision once you fully understand all of the job offers you have received.

How long can you wait before you decide?

To be able to help you completely I'd need to know more details, e.g. how'd you find out about the job, what commitments have you made or not made etc.

However, here are some tips: most employers understand that their prospective employees are looking for work in more than one place. Most people simply let the prospective employers know this is the case and that you will inform them of your decision once you fully understand all of the job offers you have received.

Going through the interview process with Company #1, I went into it knowing that Company #2 was in the back of my mind. I told them I'd let them know but didn't give them a time frame. I do know that they won't wait forever because they are gearing up for hiring and training in August. But the same is to be said for Company #2 - they are gearing up for August so I am hoping that I won't have to wait too long to hear from #2 if I decide to wait.

I would take the call center job if he is not insulin dependent, not limited in mobility and if you can get someone to stay with him or check on him regularly just so you can get out of the house. Being trapped inside with the sme person all day would drive me mad.

Going through the interview process with Company #1, I went into it knowing that Company #2 was in the back of my mind. I told them I'd let them know but didn't give them a time frame. I do know that they won't wait forever because they are gearing up for hiring and training in August. But the same is to be said for Company #2 - they are gearing up for August so I am hoping that I won't have to wait too long to hear from #2 if I decide to wait.

1.) Usually it is safe to wait a week or two before contacting them after you've done the interview. If it's been that long, you could respectably let option #2 know that you have another job offer and you need their answer so you can make your decision. Let them know it's time sensitive and that you need to provide an answer to option # 1 within a weeks time.

2.) If you aren't worried about burning any bridges and it doesn't sound like option # 2 is going to get back to you any time soon, you could always start working for option 1 and quit if option 2 gives you an offer (option 2 is your preferred option right?). But again, you would risk burning that bridge.

I'd stay play it safe and go with the first advice I gave above [1.)]....

I would take the call center job if he is not insulin dependent, not limited in mobility and if you can get someone to stay with him or check on him regularly just so you can get out of the house. Being trapped inside with the sme person all day would drive me mad.

We aren't like that, believe it or not. I semi-retired from a retailer in 2008 because we started a business. We ended up selling the business before we moved down to Georgia, but yeah we spend every waking hour together, every day, for the most part, and we get along fine. I guess we are lucky like that. We go to lunch, we go shopping, we go to the beach, we just hang out. He and I are a perfect fit, so that makes spending time together fun, not frustrating.

He is insulin dependent, and what scares me is that he's on a new insulin that has made his sugar bottom out several times. Had I not been here, it could have been bad. That's why I am leaning toward not taking this job and waiting for the at-home job. He's not limited in mobility, but the thing is, although we have neighbors who would gladly check in on him, they all have kids at home, either special needs, or being homeschooled, so it'd be kind of an imposition to keep having to check in on him, you know?

If you are not "hurting" for money I'd go with job 2 and meanwhile look elsewhere for a type 1 job that's not such a crappy work situation.

Call-center sales work is a b****, and there is no guarantee you will make quotas in that particular environment. This job is also too demanding of your time (Xmas, and other family holidays) and there really is no guarantee you WILL Be hired full-time at the end of your temp period.

That's my two-cents. Now as Lucy says in "Peanuts;" 5 Cents Please!

1.) Usually it is safe to wait a week or two before contacting them after you've done the interview. If it's been that long, you could respectably let option #2 know that you have another job offer and you need their answer so you can make your decision. Let them know it's time sensitive and that you need to provide an answer to option # 1 within a weeks time.

2.) If you aren't worried about burning any bridges and it doesn't sound like option # 2 is going to get back to you any time soon, you could always start working for option 1 and quit if option 2 gives you an offer (option 2 is your preferred option right?). But again, you would risk burning that bridge.

I'd stay play it safe and go with the first advice I gave above [1.)]....

Glad you said that, because I was leaning the same way. I definitely would rather go with job 2, for obvious reasons. I thought about just calling job 2 and letting them know that I have another offer, and how much longer before job offers are being made for the August start up, because if I know for certain they aren't going to hire me, I'll move on to job 1, and give Hubs a bag of jelly beans beside the chair in case his sugar starts to drop. Or not. Shoot, I don't know. If I didn't have to worry about him getting sick while I was gone, it'd make the decision a lot easier.

If you are not "hurting" for money I'd go with job 2 and meanwhile look elsewhere for a type 1 job that's not such a crappy work situation.

Call-center sales work is a b****, and there is no guarantee you will make quotas in that particular environment. This job is also too demanding of your time (Xmas, and other family holidays) and there really is no guarantee you WILL Be hired full-time at the end of your temp period.

That's my two-cents. Now as Lucy says in "Peanuts;" 5 Cents Please!

Well I've done call center work before, and never had issue with quotas. I always made bonus on sales, but I HATE sales. Job 1 is a sales job. Job 2 is more of a customer service job. And Job 2 is one where I can make my own hours, and not have to work holidays. Job 1 is 100% flexibility.

This is a no-brainer. Unless you're about to be kicked out of your house and are eating ramen noodles, take the second job and keep it as long as you can.

You'll like it better, you can work from home, you can be with your family, etc. etc. etc.

Life is too short to work a ****ty job you hate unless you REALLY have to.

This is a no-brainer. Unless you're about to be kicked out of your house and are eating ramen noodles, take the second job and keep it as long as you can.

:lol: :lol: That's what I'm thinking. I've been wanting to go back to doing something for a while, but I have to be choosy because of my husband's health. When I was working in retail management, I was fortunate enough to be able to do what I wanted, when I wanted. I was in the field a lot, managing different stores, so I could stop in and check on him, and personal phone calls were no problem. Keeping my cell turned on was no problem. While I will admit that it will be hard getting back in on the ground floor, I'd rather do so on my terms, and doing something where my schedule is flexible enough to keep a close eye on him, go to doctor's visits with him and so on.

Life is too short to work a ****ty job you hate unless you REALLY have to.
---------------

Well said.
Case closed.

With 5% risk involved I would choose the second one. How regretful would you get for the 1st one which basically enslaves your full time to calls.

With 5% risk involved I would choose the second one. How regretful would you get for the 1st one which basically enslaves your full time to calls.

yeah and I'd be constantly worried about my husband, and all my holidays would be spent working. I haven't worked a holiday in years. I never had to.

yeah and I'd be constantly worried about my husband, and all my holidays would be spent working. I haven't worked a holiday in years. I never had to.

Right. Plus consider the crowd there. They are predominantly people who consent to such long hours of work. I have a few workaholic friends. Though some are good friends they of course are nearly never available.

Jobs are done for earning but if you look facilities in job then one must look for some special jobs and i would like to prefer part time jobs that may end in half time and you have a lot of time left for fun.

I would call job 2 and tell them you've had another offer, but would really like to work for them. Just let them know that if you're being considered for the job, you'll have to hear from them by "X" day. That may be the nudge they need to give you a decision.

The first job sounds like a perfect fit for someone who is desperate for work, which you are not. There is a term used in HR, "crisis hiring", which describes manager's placing less than ideal candidates in to a position just to fill it. The outcome is predictably less than ideal as well. Given that you don't need the job, there is no reason for you to take a less than ideal position. No question I'd go with the second job, and that's assuming you couldn't find something even better. BTW be careful about claiming that bonus room as work space for tax purposes. Seems like a savings now, but when the time comes to sell the house that portion has to be listed as an income property and is subject to capital gains. I have a friend (he is literally a rocket scientist, does contract work for the government) who made this mistake, the tax liability far exceeded any tax savings in the end.

If you can be selective? Be selective! Wait for the second job.

If you need the money or would take the first job if the second one doesn't pan out? Take the first job and quit if the other offer comes in.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the chance of Job 2, instead of Job 1. If we were in dire straits, I'd take it, but I'd rather wait and get something I want rather than be forced to take something I don't want. Thanks, everyone. :D

Your call, Superfly, based on monetary need and your family's circumstances. But I'd rather live in my car than take Job #1. *shudder*

Yeah, I am going to hold off for Job 2. Thanks. As was mentioned earlier, if we were starving, or broke, or the lights were about to get cut off, I'd see it, but it's not bad for us, so I'm going to be more choosy.

Back
Top Bottom