• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raspberry Pi

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Anyone here use a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming (or any other project for that matter)? I recently built a system and am having a blast with it.

I use them for little home automation projects. There's an open source software called "Home Assistant" where you can have your raspberry pi be your smart house and control various things.

I also have one as a print server and controller for my Prusa 3d printer. With Octoprint you can start and control your printer through a web interface and get time lapse videos of your prints.

Raspberry Pi's are also a wonderful learning tool for embedded engineering, and the cheaper versions are only $5 for a fully functional Linux machine!

Anyone here use a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming (or any other project for that matter)? I recently built a system and am having a blast with it.

I bought one of these 3/4 arcade cabinets and put a raspberry pi in it for retro arcade games

Tinkered with electronic for 40+ years. I'm amazed how dirt cheap everything is these days, especially test equipment. However the downside is in complexity and how much you need to know to get started. I feel sorry for EEs just starting out because the amount of knowledge you need to know is 2-3x what it use to be.

Yeah, I've got one. I haven't got around to building a cabinet for it yet but i've played with the unit with a gamepad. It's pretty cool.

Works great with a usb dac as a music streamer or roon end point.

I got a raspberry pi 3B+ inside a Retroflag NESPi case running RetroPie. Very user friendly verses running stand alone emulators. If the Reto Pi shortage ever ends I'll upgrade to a Pi4.

The RPI is a fun little device for that. Right now I am trying to find time to get my steam deck set up for emulation.

I got a raspberry pi 3B+ inside a Retroflag NESPi case running RetroPie. Very user friendly verses running stand alone emulators. If the Reto Pi shortage ever ends I'll upgrade to a Pi4.
I have the Pi4 running RetroPie. The PS games I've tried so far run almost flawlessly. N64 not so much.

I have yet to screw around with Kodi.

I have a pi 3b+ I used to use just as a tv computer, they can do plenty of things, however I did find older system emulation complex and lacking on the pi.

I have a pi 3b+ I used to use just as a tv computer, they can do plenty of things, however I did find older system emulation complex and lacking on the pi.
The Pi4 emulates pretty good (my experience anyways) with Retropie. I know the Pi4 is tough to come by though right now. I got lucky and built my system right before the shortages started.

I'd like to get a couple of Pi3s and make some other projects. The Magic Mirror looks really cool, and I wouldn't mind making a system specifically for live TV (if that is possible) or Kodi... though I guess I could use the same system and just switch out the SD cards (one card for gaming, one for TV/Kodi).

The Pi4 emulates pretty good (my experience anyways) with Retropie. I know the Pi4 is tough to come by though right now. I got lucky and built my system right before the shortages started.

I'd like to get a couple of Pi3s and make some other projects. The Magic Mirror looks really cool, and I wouldn't mind making a system specifically for live TV (if that is possible) or Kodi.
Lately I have been using older generation Intel nucs. They can be less expensive and are more versatile (m.2 nvme support) and performant. Gen 6 and 7 are the sweet spot.

The 4 was my first one (yeah I was late to the party). PS1 games emulates really well.

Did you try using retropie?

Did you try using retropie?
I tried it seemed like it never worked proper, on windows or linux i can get well functioning emulators, but with retropi, basically linux for arm instead of intel, it is mostly limited to clunky one size fits all emulators. I gave up after a few days of nothing wanting to work right.

I'd like to get a couple of Pi3s and make some other projects. The Magic Mirror looks really cool, and I wouldn't mind making a system specifically for live TV (if that is possible) or Kodi... though I guess I could use the same system and just switch out the SD cards (one card for gaming, one for TV/Kodi).
I do not have the pi4 though, I know the pi 3 and backwards can mostly use the same software, while much of the pi4 softwae is exlusive due to major changes in hardware and major boosts in ram.

I built a bar top with a Pi.
Sadly, it sits in the garage under my work bench. No place for it.

I built a bar top with a Pi.
Sadly, it sits in the garage under my work bench. No place for it.

That looks badass.

That might be what I try next, but I also want to have a slot built in for controllers, have 2 players with the arcade buttons, 2 players with controllers.

That looks badass.

That might be what I try next, but I also want to have a slot built in for controllers, have 2 players with the arcade buttons, 2 players with controllers.
yep! the skies the limit with these things. You can even install a coin feeder switch

you can get the plans for the cabinet here: https://www.thegeekpub.com/

Back
Top Bottom