• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rasmussen: Voters now trust Republicans in all 10 key issues

It is fortunate that the mid-terms don’t have a dem called generic running for reelection. Most people seem to think that their Congressman /Senator is doing fine job of lugging home the pork. Now that lowlife in the next district is another story though, vote that sob out. :mrgreen:

To be fair, it might be more accurate to say that voters now distrust Republicans less.

It is fortunate that the mid-terms don’t have a dem called generic running for reelection. Most people seem to think that their Congressman /Senator is doing fine job of lugging home the pork. Now that lowlife in the next district is another story though, vote that sob out. :mrgreen:

yes, that's what they seem to think. Approval rating of Congress is in the toilet, and has been for some time, yet we keep reelecting the same yahoos. My guy brings home the bacon, your guy just brings home pork. Big difference, huh?

yes, that's what they seem to think. Approval rating of Congress is in the toilet, and has been for some time, yet we keep reelecting the same yahoos. My guy brings home the bacon, your guy just brings home pork. Big difference, huh?

Maybe we should shake things up a bit.Made it a law that your vote is for the congress critters in the next district, instead of the district you live in. ;)

:)

Just 37% Say Their Congress Member Deserves Reelection

...Just 27% of Likely U.S. Voters think their representative in Congress is the best possible person for the job, down six points from November of last year. Only 37% think their local congressional representative deserves reelection, compared to 42% who felt that way last fall...

yes and no. we live in a center-right nation; conservatism is popular. Republicans are not.

Wouldn't that mean that the best chances for success are conservative Democrats?

Today popularity doesn't mean a thing long term. Come election day when they are about to vote, and they ask themselves which party is best for them, they will vote Democrat because it's the people's party.

ricksfolly

Today popularity doesn't mean a thing long term. Come election day when they are about to vote, and they ask themselves which party is best for them, they will vote Democrat because it's the people's party.

ricksfolly

People today: I don't like those darned Democrats!

People in the voting booth: Whoa! Something about this voting booth makes me really want to vote Democrat all of a sudden!

Those voting machines must be emitting powerful vote-Democrat radiation or something.

Wouldn't that mean that the best chances for success are conservative Democrats?

Democrats are less popular; and 'conservative democrats' have become a problematic breed recently, for a couple of reasons; first they chose as their party leadership the most liberal among them, and then they let themselves be steamrolled by them. when 'blue dogs' folded on Obamacare, i think the country pretty much tossed out the notion of the "conservative democrat" for a while.

ricksfolly

:lol: they're going to vote for the party who has imposed and proposed sweeping changes that are deeply unpopular because "the people's party" is their slogan?

nah, i think Republicans are going to hold both houses of Congress and the Presidency from now until 2124 because they are so "grand" :roll:

Democrats are less popular; and 'conservative democrats' have become a problematic breed recently, for a couple of reasons; first they chose as their party leadership the most liberal among them, and then they let themselves be steamrolled by them. when 'blue dogs' folded on Obamacare, i think the country pretty much tossed out the notion of the "conservative democrat" for a while.

But here's the thing - Blue Dogs wouldn't have had to folded if the GOP would have tried to 1) compromise or 2) initiate their own health care reform. That's the major problem that I and many other voters have with the Republican Party - they are just trying to obstruct the policies of Democrats right now instead of introducing their own.

That's why I think Boehner is such a bad minority leader for the GOP. He is leading the Republicans in halting the agenda of Democrats but he has, as far as I am aware, never proposed detailed active solutions.

When Obama was preparing his budget, Boehner showed off a broad plan for the government being fiscally responsible. But he didn't show any details in that plan. And again with regards to the current economic downturn, Boehner told Obama that he should fire all of his economic advisers but he didn't give any details about what should be done or who Obama should re-appoint.

The Republicans keep saying that America needs leadership. But, right now, the GOP is without any.

That's not to say that there isn't any conservative leadership. But most of the conservative leadership isn't coming from the Republican Party - instead, it's coming from Fox News. Conservatives aren't listening to John Boehner or Mitch McConnell or Michael Steele. They are listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck.

But here's the thing about those political pundits - all they're doing is stating opinions. They don't have to actually try to balance the different interests involved in running a city, a state, or a nation.

So while I think the House and Senate may see more Republicans being elected to Congress, I still don't think the GOP will become a majority.

RightinNYC said:
Every single poll that shows that Americans are twice as likely to identify as conservative than as liberal?
Conservative =/= Conservatism

If it did then Rove and Gingrich would have fulfilled their wetdream of a Permanent Republican Majority.

cpwill said:
politicians are and remain politicians; you can't really describe ideological leanings by them. but i would say Boehner recently and Bachman are obviously striking pretty populist chords.
Boehner with his 15% approval rating?????

Bachman?? I thought this was a serious discussion...:lol:

cpwill said:
well, first off, the American people themselves. as of July 2009, the gallup breakdown was
If you look at the poll, the question is 'very conservative, conservative OR moderate, liberal OR very liberal.
Looks like moderate, liberal, very liberal...56%
very conservative, conservative............40%

cpwill said:
Social Conservatism?
A poll on abortion is all you have? Ignoring SS, Medicare, etc.

But anyway on the pro-choice vs. pro-life polling. How would a woman, who would not have an abortion herself, but would not want to interfere with another woman's choice to have an abortion, answer that question? Not how YOU would answer, but how would she answer. The truth is you don't know, so the poll doesn't really answer anything.

cpwill said:
Fiscal Conservatism?
Even McConnell couldn't or wouldn't answer David Gregory of NBC's Meet the Press on paying for tax cuts. In case you missed it, here is the exchange (after two or three tries by Gregory and diversion by McConnell)

GREGORY: For a final time, I’ll go back to my question which is, the extension of the tax cuts would cost $3.2 trillion. That’s borrowed money, that adds to the deficit. Do you have a plan to pay for that extension?

MCCONNELL: You’re talking about current tax policy. Why did it all of a sudden become something that we, quote, ‘pay for’?

cpwill said:
you are confusing "parties" with "ideologies". plenty of conservatives have no love for Republicans, just as much of the Left tends to be disappointed with Democrats
You're the one who puts up a poll of conservative, moderate, liberals in a thread about Republicans.

cpwill said:
no, i'm saying voters are going to vote for Republicans in November based on polls demonstrating them favoring republicans by 10 POINTS; which is the largest lead ever recorded in the history of Gallup since it began polling in 1942 - it's twice the lead they had in 1994.

cpwill said:
no, they voted in 2006 and 2008 against republicans, far more than they voted for democrats; just like in 2010 they will be voting against democrats far more than they will be for republicans.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

First you say voters will vote for Republicans because polls show that they favor republicans, then you say no, they're not voting for republicans they're voting against democrats...

ricksfolly
yes, or Republican because they're the conservative party, or just whoever had the best ad campaign.

But here's the thing - Blue Dogs wouldn't have had to folded if the GOP would have tried to 1) compromise or 2) initiate their own health care reform. That's the major problem that I and many other voters have with the Republican Party - they are just trying to obstruct the policies of Democrats right now instead of introducing their own.

to the contrary; Republicans have put forth a wide array of plans informally; and are blocked from doing so formally due to the fact that the Democratic chiefs in Congress have made the decision not to allow their proposals to be voted on in Committee.

That's why I think Boehner is such a bad minority leader for the GOP. He is leading the Republicans in halting the agenda of Democrats but he has, as far as I am aware, never proposed detailed active solutions.

how ironic that you would say this, given that Boehner is (as far as i'm aware) the only leader of either party in either house brave enough to talk about the painful but necessary steps to save our entitlement program - such as for example raising the retirement age.

When Obama was preparing his budget, Boehner showed off a broad plan for the government being fiscally responsible. But he didn't show any details in that plan. And again with regards to the current economic downturn, Boehner told Obama that he should fire all of his economic advisers but he didn't give any details about what should be done or who Obama should re-appoint.

House Minority Leader John Boehner today laid out five prescriptions for the Obama Administration on the economy and gave a flavor of what he might do if he becomes Speaker after the midterms.:

1. Heading off an anticipated September debate on whether to extend George W. Bush's tax cuts, Boehner made an emphatic case for extending all of the tax cuts. Democrats are proposing only extending those for the middle class – for those who make less than $200,000 a year. “Let me be clear,” Boehner said, borrowing a favorite phrase of President Obama's, “raising taxes on families and small businesses during a recession is a recipe for disaster – both for our economy and for the deficit. Period. End of story.”...

2. Boehner asked that Obama veto any “job killing legislation” that Dems might pass during the lame duck session such as the pro-union Employee Free Choice Act or climate change...

3. Boehner did show some leg on policy, pushing back on the claim that the GOP is just the Party of No. He called on Obama to allow the repeal of the “the new health care law's job-killing ‘1099 mandate,'” which requires some businesses to report any expenditure over $600 to the government. Boehner said this one provision alone costs small businesses $17 billion in the time to track and file such expenditures and the government another $10 billion to keep track of the filings.

Later in the speech Boehner also called on Congress to ratify Rep. Eric Cantor's free trade proposal; endorsed legislation authored by Rep. Geoff Davis, a Kentucky Republican, that would require congressional approval of any White House expenditure of more than $100 million; and called on Dems to pass a plan by Rep. Dave Camp, the ranking Republican on the Ways & Means Committee, to give small businesses with less than 500 employees a 20% tax cut.

4. Though he praised Wisconsin Republican Rep. Paul Ryan's $1.3 trillion in spending cuts and called on the government to return non-defense discretionary spending to 2008 levels...

5. Finally, Boehner called on Obama to fire the rest of his economic team, though he provided no recommendations with whom the President might replace them (supply siders, one presumes?) or why they should be fired now versus any other time in the last 19 months....

:) so a li'l more than just that.

That's not to say that there isn't any conservative leadership. But most of the conservative leadership isn't coming from the Republican Party - instead, it's coming from Fox News. Conservatives aren't listening to John Boehner or Mitch McConnell or Michael Steele. They are listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck.

yup. remember back in 1993 when Rush Limbaugh was "Leader of the Opposition"? how'd that work out for Republicans in '94?

So while I think the House and Senate may see more Republicans being elected to Congress, I still don't think the GOP will become a majority.

then (even though your logic is flawed), you are still not accounting for two things: 1. voter enthusiasm and 2. the fact that people are more ready to vote against Democrats than for Republicans. It matters alot less what level of specificity Boehner is putting forth currently than it does that Democrats passed Obamacare and the Stimulus failed (as predicted).

Last edited:
Let me first say: This is my first post here. I have an extremely low trust level in any political party. I have always voted Republican, mainly because I just can't agree with most Democrats. I do not understand liberal's values and most dems are left leaning. Not meant to be insulting; just my point of view. I have never trusted Obama, but then I don't trust the GOP leaders either. Many of the GOPs younger members appear more sensible but the way the party system is set up we get stuck with the leadership. I do hope the GOP retakes the House if for no other reason to remove Pelosi from her throne, not because she is female but she is a typical politican who would lie through her teeth simply to have power. I do believe that this country is great despite its leadership.

Let me first say: This is my first post here. I have an extremely low trust level in any political party. I have always voted Republican, mainly because I just can't agree with most Democrats. I do not understand liberal's values and most dems are left leaning. Not meant to be insulting; just my point of view. I have never trusted Obama, but then I don't trust the GOP leaders either. Many of the GOPs younger members appear more sensible but the way the party system is set up we get stuck with the leadership. I do hope the GOP retakes the House if for no other reason to remove Pelosi from her throne, not because she is female but she is a typical politican who would lie through her teeth simply to have power. I do believe that this country is great despite its leadership.

Welcome to the board.

I mostly agree with your point of view, particularly the one that neither party is to be trusted.

Now, should a Republican become the next speaker of the house, which is a strong possibility, do you really think anything substantial will change?

Seems to me that many American voters have a short memory, an attention span. To suddenly have "trust" in the same Republicans they had no trust in earlier, when nothing has really changed regarding the attitudes, methods, and plans of that party isn't well thought out a position to hold. Voters flip flop more than beach sandals.

Seems to me that many American voters have a short memory, an attention span. To suddenly have "trust" in the same Republicans they had no trust in earlier, when nothing has really changed regarding the attitudes, methods, and plans of that party isn't well thought out a position to hold. Voters flip flop more than beach sandals.
Welcome to the two-party system. Great, ain't it?

You do realize that most polls still show the GOP with a net negative approval rating?

They're just less mistrusted now than the Dems. That doesn't mean people have started loving them all of a sudden. That still has to be earned.

You do realize that most polls still show the GOP with a net negative approval rating?

They're just less mistrusted now than the Dems. That doesn't mean people have started loving them all of a sudden. That still has to be earned.

Oh, they will "love them" eventually, until reality dawns on them again, as it did before. Then they will go "OOOOO DEMOCRATS!!!" and expect CHANGE!!!! The Democrats are generally spineless, incompetent whimps who compromise their own platform into oblivion, while the GOP act like cackling incompetent evil maniacs who are aligned with groups who openly advocate destruction of the United States (business leaders argued if they ddn't get eveything they demanded, they would "go Galt."

If it weren't so tragic, it would be comical.

Oh, they will "love them" eventually, until reality dawns on them again, as it did before. Then they will go "OOOOO DEMOCRATS!!!" and expect CHANGE!!!! The Democrats are generally spineless, incompetent whimps who compromise their own platform into oblivion, while the GOP act like cackling incompetent evil maniacs who are aligned with groups who openly advocate destruction of the United States (business leaders argued if they ddn't get eveything they demanded, they would "go Galt."

If it weren't so tragic, it would be comical.

Okay, never mind. I should have guessed you were more interested in over-the-top rhetoric than actual debate.

Okay, never mind. I should have guessed you were more interested in over-the-top rhetoric than actual debate.

You must admit that he is quite adept at building strawmen…must be the weather in the Pacific Northwest (Particularly the Seattle area) that effects a certain part of the brain of conservatives. :2wave:

Both parties are plotters and schemers, that's a given. The only reason I stick with the Democrats is they're the people's party, not big business, and I'm one of the people. Sure they make stupid mistakes, but they at least help the people (me) most of the time.

ricksfolly

Back
Top Bottom