• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Racists & Misogynists Out in Force Because....Ghostbusters?

THere is some truth to that, and it is like how some of these people dont eat food because they like it, they eat it as a political statement. You have to claim to like it though. In this case both the creators and the consumers get to walk away feeling good about themselves because the politics of this movie are "right", and get to brag that they were part of it, and you can be sure that they will try to avoid admitting to the presence of suckage because that would be a buzz-kill.

It is not all lefties, but too many. THese people are super annoying to be around, AVOID.

I wouldn't necessarily say liberals, but the regressives, definitely.

The movie simply looks bad. McCarthy is the fat one right? Cant stand her. Boring over the top. Not funny. Also dont lime remakes of classics unless they nail it which most dont. Red Dawn and Point Break both sucked. You dont redo Ghostbusters... make a sequel. Thomas Crown Affair might be the only remake better than the original.

Come on, John Carpenter's The Thing was a superior remake too.

I guess we have different views of what makes a good 80's movie. I guess I lean more toward Apocalypse Now and Body Heat, or if I go for something less heady it would be films like Rain Man and Tootsie. Either way, if someone remade those flicks, butchered the crap out of them and featured Taylor Swift, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, I certainly would not get all worked up over it. But, hey---I'm not exactly chasing a Pokemon either. So...

Fast Times in Richmont High
Dazed and Confused
Lethal Weapon
48 Hours
Beverly Hills Cop
Terminator
Die Hard
Goonies
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Princess Bride

I mean...it's an almost infinite list of awesome movies from the 80's and 90's.

Also...they're remaking Adventures in Babysitting...That wasn't even that fantastic of a movie to start with, but that's how far down the barrel of ideas Hollywood is.

I have no idea and probably wont go see it but the critics I heard said it was pretty good. ???

I've heard from some that it's terrible, and from others it's not too bad, but it's also not great.

Regardless, I won't see it in theatres. I'll probably just torrent it.

The tweets and comments described in the two posted articles are not about a dog**** movie. They are a bit more...uh, personal than that.

And who sent those tweets and made those comments? Faceless internet trolls? Yeah...could have been anyone. Even those with an agenda to get a **** movie to pass.

Wtf?

No wonder I believe Black people and women have it rougher than us white men.

Leslie Jones says she's in 'personal hell' after barrage of racist, abusive tweets - LA Times

How misogyny impacted 'Ghostbusters' opening weekend — and its future - LA Times

When you get this worked up over who is playing the Ghostbusters, you clearly need to get a life. Sheesh, are these guys all living in their mamma's basement?

Lame excuses for a bad movie is all I see.

I've heard from some that it's terrible, and from others it's not too bad, but it's also not great.

Regardless, I won't see it in theatres. I'll probably just torrent it.

NOOO don't be one of those people. Theft is bad.

Come on, John Carpenter's The Thing was a superior remake too.

Big time.

So. I got lame and looked up remakes.

Gonna make a thread about them...

LOL, People did not hate the Ghostbusters trailer because it was a all-female cast. People hated it because the trailers were absolute dog****, and the movie looked like crap.

I'll even go so far as to say there were some that hated it because of the all-female cast. But the immediate painting of every criticism of the film as misogyny is ridiculous.

Undoubtedly, there are some people who haven't liked it from the onset because it's an all women cast and they don't like women in their action movies

Additionally, there are likely those that didn't like it being an all women cast because it simply seemed a big divergence from the original cast and thus their view of the "ghostbusters" they've long had.

And then there were likely people turned off by it simply because, due to a variety of statements and information, it came off as simply a means of pandering

And still more that just hadn't enjoyed Fieg's previous work with women centric comedies and so was disappointed to see it that way.

The level of "misogyny" in those is debatable to varying degrees depending on which one your looking at. But it's far from the only reasons people were being critical, despite what the die hard defenders keep desperately trying to make it out. Many felt the comedy shown in the trailer (and subsequently in the movie) to be amazingly slapstick and obvious. Some felt it seemed more cartoonish in nature than playing it straight, which didn't fit their view of the feel for a Ghostbusters movie. Others thought the CGI looked horrendous. Others just aren't a huge fan of "reboots" of massively successful franchises, while still others may not mind it if it isn't seeming to be milking nostalgia in an empty fashion. Some disliked that despite all this messaging of it being progressive, you still had a stereotypical role for the black woman. Some simply didn't like the reports coming out in the days before hand that truly drove home a feeling that this COMEDY film also was definitely trying to push a political agenda (to the point of how the bad guy is beaten). Which even that goes back to the first point of it just seemed like the comedy was recent Adam Sandler levels of bad.

But no, it's totally just misogyny and racism because a vocal minority of idiots on twitter say something stupid.

Cephus likely knocked it out of the part. It's likely a subpar movie that was budgeted for and promoted to be a tentpole type of franchise, but was poor in a number of aspects, and as such some kind of "excuse" had to be made for why it fails to live up to expectations that such a film would have.

Would men be able to get away with doing a movie with only men in it? Answer: No.

There, it's simple. If men can't do it without being called sexist than neither can women.

Would men be able to get away with doing a movie with only men in it? Answer: No.

There, it's simple. If men can't do it without being called sexist than neither can women.

There are men in this. What are you even talking about?

Eh, I torrent stuff all the time. Especially when I miss a epsiode of a show (mainly The Walking Dead) live.

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope you will rethink such behavior in the future. Torrenting is theft.

What they were going for was the gender version of Hamilton, but as I understand it the Broadway show works as a piece of art, there is more going on than the politics.

Wtf?

No wonder I believe Black people and women have it rougher than us white men.

Leslie Jones says she's in 'personal hell' after barrage of racist, abusive tweets - LA Times

How misogyny impacted 'Ghostbusters' opening weekend — and its future - LA Times

When you get this worked up over who is playing the Ghostbusters, you clearly need to get a life. Sheesh, are these guys all living in their mamma's basement?

You do realize that feminist movies have basically gotten that same response every single time, right? Most of the time the movie still does pretty good even if it gets lower earnings then it would have gotten otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom