• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Racial profiling

Should racial profiling be allowed in searching

• Yes

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
jamesrage said:
We know what ethnicity the terrorist are,so the hell waste time and money searching a 80 year old grandmother from China?

Really? You seem so enlightened jamesrage. Would you please share the ethnicity that terrorists are? Can you come up with one race that has commited all the terrorism in the world? I can. I call it: "humanity". All groups have extremists. Most groups have extremists that commit acts of violence.

Like I said before, I don't know where I stand on profiling. I suggested something statistics based, but was worried people would attempt to meet quotas and such. It's such a difficult issue, because it is so easy to start stepping on peoples rights. But you also have to protect yourself.

So I don't know where I stand. But I do know saying that we "know what ethnicity the terrorist are" seems...I don't know. Either you're playing with stats I don't have, or you're making assumptions.

Does anyone have statistics on which groups commit which percentage of terrorist acts? I'll poke around the internet for some. It'd be nice to see some cold, hard facts for a change.

I put no, because it easy to say that some other race should be racially profiled. Not so easy when you are the one being profiled. Also, legal searching requires probable cause. I think we might have some supreme court size issues if someone decides that race is probable cause. They say that blacks are more likely to commit a crime than whites (a stupid statistic), but that doesn't mean I'll let you search my car to make you feel better.

Really? You seem so enlightened jamesrage. Would you please share the ethnicity that terrorists are? Can you come up with one race that has commited all the terrorism in the world? I can. I call it: "humanity". All groups have extremists. Most groups have extremists that commit acts of violence.

Most of the terrorist are middle eastern muslimsThe terrorist that are setting off bombs in Israel,middle eastern muslims.The terrorist in London almost all of them were middle eastern muslims.The terrorist on 9-11 were middle eastern with the exception to one who was not succesful.The terrorist that waging war against us are middle eastern muslims

Ah, so if the skins tan, we have a ban sort of mentality.
Unfortunately we have a little thing called CIVIL ****ING RIGHTS!

Explain what sense does it making searching a 80 year old grandma from China when you are looking for terrorist.

jamesrage said:
Explain what sense does it making searching a 80 year old grandma from China when you are looking for terrorist.

So what do you look for, what does terrorism look like? Middle Eastern? Well, there are alot more middle eastern people who aren't terrorists than those that are, probably a .01% ratio. I am looking at 4 middle eastern women across the hall from me, should I assume they are terrorist?

So what do you look for, what does terrorism look like? Middle Eastern? Well, there are alot more middle eastern people who aren't terrorists than those that are, probably a .01% ratio. I am looking at 4 middle eastern women across the hall from me, should I assume they are terrorist?

If they go a Mosque that preaches death to the infidels, then yes.

There is no way that there is not going to be racial profiling in instances such as airports, subways, bus stations etc. It's already second nature for Americans, and many other western nations to suspect young men of M.E decent. I would rather one or two be uncomfortable, then an entire airplane, or subway car, is this wrong? I don't think so, and if I see an old lady being checked, while a few young men that fit the profile slip through, that will make me nervous, angry, and fearful. This was the situation after 9/11, and no one was strung up, so i think the argument that this will have reprecussions is a failed one.

Deegan said:
There is no way that there is not going to be racial profiling in instances such as airports, subways, bus stations etc. It's already second nature for Americans, and many other western nations to suspect young men of M.E decent.

Agreed, we already racially profile, so don't encourage it by making it legal for officers to do so.

I would rather one or two be uncomfortable, then an entire airplane, or subway car, is this wrong? I don't think so, and if I see an old lady being checked, while a few young men that fit the profile slip through, that will make me nervous, angry, and fearful. This was the situation after 9/11, and no one was strung up, so i think the argument that this will have reprecussions is a failed one.

It would not be ignoring the "profile", just don't let that "profile" be defined by one thing, muslim. That is too general, therefore inefficient and paves the road to prejudice. Besides, I believe everybody is checked, if something seems suspicious, then they check in more detail. And it was not legal to profile muslims after 9/11, even Bush denounced profiling them, look at my link.

HTColeman said:
Agreed, we already racially profile, so don't encourage it by making it legal for officers to do so.

It would not be ignoring the "profile", just don't let that "profile" be defined by one thing, muslim. That is too general, therefore inefficient and paves the road to prejudice. Besides, I believe everybody is checked, if something seems suspicious, then they check in more detail. And it was not legal to profile muslims after 9/11, even Bush denounced profiling them, look at my link.

I never said it was legal, but it is second nature to be suspicious these days. You can not inact a law to keep that from being the reality, nor should you. Just as some woman walking down the street sees a black man with his hat to the side, baggy pants, all while waving gang signs, gets nervous and walks to the otherside of the street, so will it affect the fellow travelers on a bus, or plane. Just pretending it does not exist is not the answer, calling it what it is should be the solution. I have friends that are in this very boat, they don't like it, but they know there is nothing that can be done about it, only time will change those feelings.

We actually had a laugh about it, as it happens to me everytime as well. I am 6' 6" and I am constantly checked everytime I pass through the airport. I understand that my size must make others nervous, but I know there is nothing I can do about it, I'm certainly not going to shrink anytime soon.:roll:

Deegan said:
I never said it was legal, but it is second nature to be suspicious these days. You can not inact a law to keep that from being the reality, nor should you. Just as some woman walking down the street sees a black man with his hat to the side, baggy pants, all while waving gang signs, gets nervous and walks to the otherside of the street, so will it affect the fellow travelers on a bus, or plane. Just pretending it does not exist is not the answer, calling it what it is should be the solution. I have friends that are in this very boat, they don't like it, but they know there is nothing that can be done about it, only time will change those feelings.

We actually had a laugh about it, as it happens to me everytime as well. I am 6' 6" and I am constantly checked everytime I pass through the airport. I understand that my size must make others nervous, but I know there is nothing I can do about it, I'm certainly not going to shrink anytime soon.:roll:

Once again, I realize it is a part of everyday life, just as judging a book by its cover is, but don't promote it and say that racial profiling will help stop terrorism, because it won't. Don't say its ok, everyone does it, that doesn't make it right. You think it is okay when people grab thier purses around black people? It doesn't make them any safer, it just lets me, I mean, black people know that you are afraid of them.

Besides it doesn't even work, ask most black people about the sniper. I know that me and alot of the people I know were positive that it was either an arab man or a white man, surely we don't do that stuff! But we were dead wrong, we had profiled the sniper as some sort of serial killer white man or some arab terrorist, and they turned out to be black.

HTColeman said:
Once again, I realize it is a part of everyday life, just as judging a book by its cover is, but don't promote it and say that racial profiling will help stop terrorism, because it won't. Don't say its ok, everyone does it, that doesn't make it right. You think it is okay when people grab thier purses around black people? It doesn't make them any safer, it just lets me, I mean, black people know that you are afraid of them.

Besides it doesn't even work, ask most black people about the sniper. I know that me and alot of the people I know were positive that it was either an arab man or a white man, surely we don't do that stuff! But we were dead wrong, we had profiled the sniper as some sort of serial killer white man or some arab terrorist, and they turned out to be black.

I never said it will stop terrorism, but it may stop a young arab from boarding a plane, and taking it for a ride in to a tall building. We will just have to agree to disagree about this issue.

Deegan said:
I never said it will stop terrorism, but it may stop a young arab from boarding a plane, and taking it for a ride in to a tall building. We will just have to agree to disagree about this issue.

But the only way to stop that is to stop Arabs from boarding planes.......I mean on 9-11 they only had box cutters (supposedly) who would think that would cause such carnage? Profiling just doesnt work...how many shoe bombers and McVey's will get through while you interogate Arab Men Women and Children?

peace

Surenderer said:
But the only way to stop that is to stop Arabs from boarding planes.......I mean on 9-11 they only had box cutters (supposedly) who would think that would cause such carnage? Profiling just doesnt work...how many shoe bombers and McVey's will get through while you interogate Arab Men Women and Children?

peace

Mcvey never hijacked a plane, and the shoe bomber boarded in France, and is why we can't take lighters on a plane. He also proved himself to not be as radical, or religious as he couldn't do the job. We know what these people look like, and if the profile fits, you have to check them. The reality is you can't check everyone, but you can check those who fit the profile, and we should.

Deegan said:
Mcvey never hijacked a plane, and the shoe bomber boarded in France, and is why we can't take lighters on a plane. He also proved himself to not be as radical, or religious as he couldn't do the job. We know what these people look like, and if the profile fits, you have to check them. The reality is you can't check everyone, but you can check those who fit the profile, and we should.

You think you know what they look like, until someone else comes along and decides to mimick Al Queda. Arab terrorists are who we are dealing with right now, you cannot assume that it will always be arab terrorists, it would result in more terrorist attacks. Mcvey never hijacked a plane, but if he had had a good enough plan, he would have, just another way to blow up a building.

Take look at this link, its about Bush

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/962847/detail.html

Beating the snot out of a innocent muslim and seaching him are two completely different things.

As for this part of the article.
"The president visited a mosque two miles from the White House to say the attacks don't represent the true Islam -- and Muslims in America were as appalled by the carnage as anyone."
When I see a million muslim march to protest the against the muslims who did the 9-11 attacks and all other terrorist attacks conducted around the world by muslims,only then I will beleave that statement Bush made.AS far as I am concerned the words of a few muslim clerics and scholars means nothing.It is the average Joe muslims who I want to see condem the terrorist attacks

galenrox said:
you live in a cabin in the mountains and sleep on a pile of loaded guns, don't you

I'm sorry....are you PROFILING?!?!?!?:rofl

jamesrage said:
Beating the snot out of a innocent muslim and seaching him are two completely different things.

As for this part of the article.
"The president visited a mosque two miles from the White House to say the attacks don't represent the true Islam -- and Muslims in America were as appalled by the carnage as anyone."
When I see a million muslim march to protest the against the muslims who did the 9-11 attacks and all other terrorist attacks conducted around the world by muslims,only then I will beleave that statement Bush made.AS far as I am concerned the words of a few muslim clerics and scholars means nothing.It is the average Joe muslims who I want to see condem the terrorist attacks

Well, then go back to where I originally posted that link, and you will see two other links about a nation wide campaign, by Muslims, called "Not in the Name of Islam".

Originally Posted by galenrox
you live in a cabin in the mountains and sleep on a pile of loaded guns, don't you

:lol: Amusing,but I can't stand to live no more than two miles away from a shopping center and pizza place.

galenrox will soon learn, assuming is dangerous.

That is his "Natural Habitat".

It amazes me what liberal scum like to talk about.

Back
Top Bottom