• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(Quotation) Do NOT read the news

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
"News is toxic to your body. It constantly triggers the limbic system. Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation."

Title of article: "News is bad for you -- and giving up reading it will make you happier"

Author: Rolf Dobelli

Source: The Guardian [British liberal newspaper] April 12, 2013.

I think it is vital to be aware of what's happening in the world but to obsess or dwell on it/watch or read the news 24/7 is unhealthy for anyone...

People who get that way over the news are looking to be triggered. They're snowflakes, drama queens, victim culture victims.

People need to butch up and watch the news without conniptions.

People who get that way over the news are looking to be triggered. They're snowflakes, drama queens, victim culture victims.

People need to butch up and watch the news without conniptions.

Tell that to the man-child trump who has to respond to anything with a Twitter tantrum after he reads it.

"News is toxic to your body. It constantly triggers the limbic system. Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation."

Title of article: "News is bad for you -- and giving up reading it will make you happier"

Author: Rolf Dobelli

Source: The Guardian [British liberal newspaper] April 12, 2013.

I'd rather keep myself informed, thanks.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed."

-- Mark Twain
i know what’s going on already. Another repeat of history. “ the news “ is only for confirmation as to how far along we are in the storyline.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed."

-- Mark Twain

You can get a lot of misinformation from the internet

Abraham Lincoln

You can get a lot of misinformation from the internet

Abraham Lincoln

I do not know if it is true, but reportedly AFTER Abraham Lincoln became president, he essentially stopped reading newspapers. (Although some aides presumably told him about certain articles, for we all know that President Lincoln's administration harassed certain newspapers and hounded one publisher into fleeing to Canada.)

Someone once said the only news that truly impacts a person on a daily basis is local weather and traffic.

Back
Top Bottom