• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

QE for Dummies

For reference to the November Fed minutes (not Jerome Powell):

WHAT market is he talking about then?

WHAT market is he talking about then?

The U.S. is a market driven economy. In the very beginning of the Fed minutes, it states:
The Federal Reserve is committed to using its full range of tools to support the U.S. economy in this challenging time, thereby promoting its maximum employment and price stability goals.

The U.S. is a market driven economy. In the very beginning of the Fed minutes, it states:

I think you interpreted the words wrong. When Powell said "smooth market functioning" he did not mean the economy in general. If he did, he would have said "smooth economic functioning."

In any case, I have seen other similar quotes by him.

I think you interpreted the words wrong. When Powell said "smooth market functioning" he did not mean the economy in general. If he did, he would have said "smooth economic functioning."
First of all, this is a Fed minutes release. It's not a direct quote of Jerome Powell.

Secondly, you are the one who is assigning meanings to words in an attempt to justify your confusion.
In any case, I have seen other similar quotes by him.
And you didn't bother to provide any quotes.... Imagine that!

Not my fault if you don't keep up with the financial news.

Not my fault if you don't keep up with the financial news.
You are attributing Fed policy to propping up equity markets. That's nonsense. Pretending to be knowledgeable isn't going to work given i've literally been wiping the floor with you for a few days now.

You are attributing Fed policy to propping up equity markets. That's nonsense. Pretending to be knowledgeable isn't going to work given i've literally been wiping the floor with you for a few days now.

Everyone (except you) knows that the stock market is inflated mostly because of low interest, and no safe alternatives for investing. Everyone knows that if the Fed raises interest, the stock market could crash. Everyone knows that even though the Fed needs to taper and allow interest to rise, to control inflation, they also want to keep stocks inflated.

"Lots" of printed money needs to be kept in perspective, and "lots" is not nearly infinite. Actually nothing is nearly infinite, it's a meaningless phrase.

M2 money supply is 21 trillion so the money created by QE is hardly even lots.

(I'm disappointed your weren't going to explain Quantum Entanglement to us ...)

You actually deny that the Fed created "lots" of money since 2020?

Everyone (except you) knows that the stock market is inflated mostly because of low interest, and no safe alternatives for investing.
The earnings picture tells another story, as valuations aren't that out of line. The federal government dropped $6 trillion into an economy weakened by a global pandemic.

Companies have earned these valuations.
Everyone knows that if the Fed raises interest, the stock market could crash.
Nobody knows that, and neither do you.
Everyone knows that even though the Fed needs to taper and allow interest to rise, to control inflation, they also want to keep stocks inflated.
Again... nobody knows... even you.

Everyone knows the stock market is in a gigantic bubble. Except you.

And it's because YOU are in a bubble, of mainstream news propaganda. Everything is wonderful because the central bank and central government saved the day with their clever central planning.

Everyone knows the stock market is in a gigantic bubble. Except you.
False. You're just fear mongering because that's all you have to offer....

False. You're just fear mongering because that's all you have to offer....

Read almost any financial experts. Hardly anyone agrees with you.

You actually deny that the Fed created "lots" of money since 2020?

If "lots" is comparable to "nearly infinite" then yes I do. Not even the number of particles in the known universe is "nearly infinite".

It's not really a lot compared to 2008, 2010 and 2012 which overlapped each other. The 2020 round was $7,000 billion (or $2 trillion) depending on whether you want to measure costs (the lower number) or assets held (the higher number.)

Don't look at me for explanations though. I just know a lot more money was "printed" after the Great Recession than is being printed now. It worked out pretty good last time?

1929 and the resulting depression might have a slightly different opinion.

Complex systems do often act in unexpected ways. But that also means that the intuitive understandings about them is often very wrong.

The economy grew faster this year than it has since 1984. Wages are way up, employment is up. Companies are investing billions building and upgrading manufacturing in the US. The new buzzword is insourcing. We’re in the middle of a historic economic boom.

QE isn’t responsible for inflation. If you want to blame a policy, blame tariffs and the trade war with China. Tariffs are definitionally inflationary as it increases the cost of imports.

The only way to get inflation on consumer goods is for average consumers to have more money and or chasing after less supply.

Well, let's face it... Biden isn't exactly LBJ - he doesn't have the ability to shift the legislative terrain. But he is damned good at reading it. He strikes me a lot like Reagan in that way.... of course they've got different strength and weaknesses... but what they have in common is that they're both most effective when playing the "good cop"... and good cops are most effective when they've got a "bad cop" to play off of. Reagan had Jim Baker. Biden has... Ron Klain? Not exactly in the same league. He's smart and all... but he's not the type to knock heads together.

I think he needs someone along the lines of Chris Dodd as WH Chief of Staff to be the "bad cop" . Biden and Dodd made a good team in the Senate... just imagine what they could do in the White House.

bond purchasing (creating funny money, bailouts etc etc) is the government's way of avoiding revolution......revolution by economic depression begets revolution at the ballot box.......the nasty underbelly of capitalism is peaks and valleys in the economy......one would say 'well if people would just think, the way to deal with the P&V's is to let the marketplace rule and everything will be ok.....next year...or the next year''........and it probably would.....reality is people ain't gonna wait that long.....reality is capitalism works better when the population is not diverse.....reality is poor people outnumber the rich......and the reality is one day the bonds will be worthless and we will have revolution by depression

maybe someday we as a species will really get smart and acknowledge that we are our brothers keeper......that we do have a responsibility to each other's well being......that war and suffering and religion and stupid pride are bulsht that keeps us angry and greedy......we may even figure out that this bond buying is necessary....because we really are stupid.......maybe one day...well nah.....nevermind

bond purchasing (creating funny money, bailouts etc etc) is the government's way of avoiding revolution......revolution by economic depression.

Although you don't know it yet... you've just advocated for economic depression. Just think about that for a little while.

Although you don't know it yet... you've just advocated for economic depression. Just think about that for a little while.
I absolutely can see why that conclusion could be made.........actually only pointing out the inevitability of depression......if we don't change our way of thinking......so.....inevitable depression

You think war and suffering and religion and stupid pride are the problem. No, the "problem" is complex systems work the way they work. And Fed interventions, as you know, make it worse and worse and postpone the inevitable.

Get rid of religion, and it's quickly replaced with something like Stalinism. Get rid of war -- haha, they kinda already did that by inventing weapons that can't be used. Stupid pride? As opposed to what, intelligent pride? You want everyone to be totally without any kind of pride, good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…