• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Python Kills Two Sleeping Boys

I am against it, at least where the breed in question has the potential to be dangerous.

There are kid friendly pets, and there are non-kid friendly pets. An almost 20 foot man eating snake pretty squarely fits into the latter category. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't have one. I have no desire to have a snake. BUT, if this snake was fat and happy, this wouldn't have happened. This snake clearly escaped from it's enclosure to search for a meal because it was hungry.

Constrictors don't kill by biting. They kill by squeezing their prey to death. Hence the name "constrictor."

This also makes it easier for the snake to swallow it's prey, because the bones are broken and crushed.

I'm aware of that. I'm simply saying that this particular snake was basically enormous.

Have you ever seen an Anaconda at the zoo? It's hardly uncommon for some of the larger specimens to have heads that are easily the size of footballs.

They can do quite a bit of damage with their teeth alone, especially against something as small as 4 or 6 year old.

We need Spud on this thread. He knows a lot about reptiles.

I was thinking it more or less slithered out of it's cage quietly. Snakes are quiet.

These were two brothers too, not two friends. They were probably both asleep when the attacks happened. Once the snake coils itself around a person, especially a smaller person, they wouldn't be able to make any sounds because snakes are incredibly strong and really just crush you to death.

I'm only going on what experts have opined - that snakes don't kill just to kill, they kill for food - and one expert indicated that this may be the first time or at least first time recorded that two people have been killed by the same snake at the same time.

Experts also say that these snakes don't defensively attack to kill - if they feel threatened, they will snap out and bite and then let go, fast

And finally, the experts indicate that these snakes don't hunt for food, they simply lay around waiting for food to come to them - they're opportunity eaters - and it doesn't matter if they're well fed or not they act the same way.

I'm only going on what experts have opined - that snakes don't kill just to kill, they kill for food - and one expert indicated that this may be the first time or at least first time recorded that two people have been killed by the same snake at the same time.

Experts also say that these snakes don't defensively attack to kill - if they feel threatened, they will snap out and bite and then let go, fast

And finally, the experts indicate that these snakes don't hunt for food, they simply lay around waiting for food to come to them - they're opportunity eaters - and it doesn't matter if they're well fed or not they act the same way.

No, if they're hungry they will seek out a meal just like any other animal.

Father of the year material, right there. :roll:

Anyone who would keep something as deadly as a 16 foot constrictor in the their home with small children around is in desperate need of a swift and forceful kick in the pants.
A 16 foot constrictor is considerably less dangerous than say... a pitbull, german shepherd, or any variety of large canine. Not only that, but the snake wasn't even in a correctly secured terrarium. I have a relative who has over a dozen lethal reptiles/wild animals "proper licensing", and has raised four children within the same household over the span of 30 years without a single incident or even close call. How? Because they're in correct containment, are fed properly, and handled with the utmost "and proper" amount of caution.

Their bite can cause a wicked infection also. If it did just bite the children, who knows what toll the infection would have taken on children so young.

Constrictors don't kill by biting. They kill by squeezing their prey to death. Hence the name "constrictor."

This also makes it easier for the snake to swallow it's prey, because the bones are broken and crushed.

I'm aware of that. I'm simply saying that this particular snake was basically enormous.

Have you ever seen an Anaconda at the zoo? It's hardly uncommon for some of the larger specimens to have heads that are easily the size of footballs.

They can do quite a bit of damage with their teeth alone, especially against something as small as 4 or 6 year old.
My father used to have an 18ft constrictor. A child would be at no risk of death if an adult were in the immediate proximity, I never had the slightest trouble overpowering the near-100lb snake.

Personally, I wouldn't have one. I have no desire to have a snake. BUT, if this snake was fat and happy, this wouldn't have happened. This snake clearly escaped from it's enclosure to search for a meal because it was hungry.

Wild animals will behave as wild animals are wont to do. :shrug:

When and if they do ever decide to turn on their masters, it usually tends to be unexpected.

Personally, I simply wouldn't take the risk. I've heard far too many horror stories about people being mauled and eaten by exotic pets to even want to touch that kind of thing with a ten foot pole.

Their bite can cause a wicked infection also. If it did just bite the children, who knows what toll the infection would have taken on children so young.

Yes, they will bite too, and you could get an infection and die, but these kids were squeezed to death I'm sure. If they were being bitten, they would have been screaming.

LOL! Again, then you should be against people with small children owning dogs. Dogs are MUCH more aggressive and much more likely to attack than a snake. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. Just pointing out the double standard.

Reptiles are machines. If you are small enough you're food and if you piss em off they'll kill you in self defense. Sharks, crocodilians. Got no use for em. And don't get me started on venomous creatures.

Domestic dogs are socialized to humans. So only SOME will attack a child.

Wild animals will do as wild animals are wont to do. :shrug:

When and if they do ever decide to turn on their masters, it usually tends to be unexpected.

Personally, I simply wouldn't take the risk. I've heard far too many horror stories about people being mauled and eaten by exotic pets to even want to touch that kind of thing with a ten foot pole.

I agree that wild animals should be left in the wild, but I also don't like to tell others what they can and can't do or have as a pet, so that's a tough issue for me.

I just googled, and there have only been 17 deaths in the U.S. from python or boa constrictor snakes since 1978. There were 38 deaths due to dog attacks in 2012 alone.

On the other hand there are probably millions of dogs and probably only a few hundred such snakes at most, so by percentage, the snakes are probably more dangerous, per capita.

Reptiles are machines. If you are small enough you're food and if you piss em off they'll kill you in self defense. Sharks, crocodilians. Got no use for em. And don't get me started on venomous creatures.

Domestic dogs are socialized to humans. So only SOME will attack a child.

In normal circumstances though a dog would be more aggressive than a snake towards humans, and that is mostly BECAUSE of the fact that they are domesticated. They don't fear us. Snakes do.

On the other hand there are probably millions of dogs and probably only a few hundred such snakes at most, so by percentage, the snakes are probably more dangerous, per capita.

I don't agree, considering there have only been 17 deaths by snakes since 1978. I know that there are more dog owners, but there are still a significant amount of snake owners, and 17 deaths in more than 30 years is a pretty insignificant number. Also, dogs are more aggressive towards people than snakes. Like most wild animals, snakes would rather just get away from you. Unless of course you have it in a pen without access to food and it's hungry. That changes the situation entirely.

Hey, if you starved your dog, your dog would probably try to eat you too!

I agree that wild animals should be left in the wild, but I also don't like to tell others what they can and can't do or have as a pet, so that's a tough issue for me.

I'm not "telling" anyone to do anything. I'm simply saying that I think it's generally a bad idea, and remarking on the idiocy of people who kill themselves or others by handling such creatures without the proper caution.

Now, if you've basically got your own private zoo for reptiles going on, like Shlunka described, that's one thing. However, keeping the thing in an insecure enclosure in your house, with easy access to an air vent above, is sheer reckless stupidity of the first order.

I just read a story indicating that the last time this variety of snake killed a human was in 2002 in South Africa where it killed and ate a 10 yr old boy so they apparently are capable of such acts but an attack on two with no attempt to feed from them is very, very rare.

I think the comparisons with dogs are a little bit of a stretch since dogs are fully integrated into our society and out socializing with people all the time so the opportunity for a dog to snap and attack is quite a bit greater than for a 100lb snake to be out loose and kill.

I just read a story indicating that the last time this variety of snake killed a human was in 2002 in South Africa where it killed and ate a 10 yr old boy so they apparently are capable of such acts but an attack on two with no attempt to feed from them is very, very rare.

I think the comparisons with dogs are a little bit of a stretch since dogs are fully integrated into our society and out socializing with people all the time so the opportunity for a dog to snap and attack is quite a bit greater than for a 100lb snake to be out loose and kill.

You know, I was just thinking that something just does not add up with this story. TWO boys? It just doesn't make sense and is not in line with the behavior of a hungry snake IMO. I would think the snake would be concentrating on one of the boys, probably the smallest one, and trying to swallow him, not really giving the other one much thought. It's a strange story.

As for dogs, I'm only saying that dogs would be more aggressive. I would be more worried about my small child around somebody's dog than a caged snake in most situations.

I'm not "telling" anyone to do anything. I'm simply saying that I think it's generally a bad idea, and remarking on the idiocy of people who kill themselves or others by handling such creatures without the proper caution.

Now, if you've basically got your own private zoo for reptiles going on, like Shlunka described, that's one thing. However, keeping the thing in an insecure enclosure in your house, with easy access to an air vent above, is sheer reckless stupidity of the first order.

Well, this guy apparently owned an exotic pet shop. Didn't you read the article? :)

"There they played with llamas and goats and horses," said the statement, read by David Rose, an uncle. "They went for a ride on the farm tractor with Jean-Claude, and he even let them steer the tractor, so it was a super day."

If they didn't shower, and the snake hadn't eaten properly, it may have been attracted by the scents of the other animals. They don't have the best eyesight so this could maybe be an explanation.

You know, I was just thinking that something just does not add up with this story. TWO boys? It just doesn't make sense and is not in line with the behavior of a hungry snake IMO. I would think the snake would be concentrating on one of the boys, probably the smallest one, and trying to swallow him, not really giving the other one much thought. It's a strange story.

As for dogs, I'm only saying that dogs would be more aggressive. I would be more worried about my small child around somebody's dog than a caged snake in most situations.

True, but the operative word in your last sentence is "caged" - the dog is free, the snake is caged. But I agree as well that there are multiple horror stories about dogs savagely mauling children and other dogs and you could argue that most snake owners are more responsible about recognizing the inherent dangers in their choice of pet than the average dog owner. There's never a dog owner who doesn't claim after their dog kills someone that the dog was a little sweetheart and gentle as can be.

If they didn't shower, and the snake hadn't eaten properly, it may have been attracted by the scents of the other animals. They don't have the best eyesight so this could maybe be an explanation.

One expert indicated that even if the boys had eaten chicken for dinner, that scent may have been an attraction to the snake. It's just odd because snakes don't *kill* multiple prey before starting to eat the first one.

Back
Top Bottom