• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin threatens with nuclear weapons

Sorry. but I am not with you (maybe it is me lacking in language skills) What are you refering to with: "where is this 3/4 number coming from I though they have around a million active and other 2 in reserves."?
Army, not total force. 900,000 military personnel, but that includes a lot of other forces that are not army.

The new "Germany" is the US! The world made the mistake to not slap it super-hard when it started wars like the Vietnam war. Now it's +700 foreign bases later, killing lots of innocent people in all kind of wars and military conflicts, toppling governments it doesn't like. Russia is just defending itself from America encroachment.
Another Russian plant - or maybe a useful idiot, it's hard to tell the difference.

No, Russia is not "defending itself" it is attacking a neighbour for the greater glory of the tyrant Putin.

Another Russian plant - or maybe a useful idiot, it's hard to tell the difference.

No, Russia is not "defending itself" it is attacking a neighbour for the greater glory of the tyrant Putin.
There are only anti-Russian "plants" - one right here on this forum, with >1600 anti-Russia topics opened since 2019. Why would I be an idiot? Because I tell the inconvenient truth?
I'm also wondering whether some people are genuinely ignorant or just simply evil, lacking any kind of moral compass.

Russia offered a reasonable alternative: either NATO promises that it doesn't accept Ukraine into NATO, or Ukraine promises not to join NATO - all for a very simple reason: NATO is an organization created to counter Russia, controlled by Russia's enemies! It's an unacceptable security risk to Russia to allow more NATO bases/weaponry next to its territory.

There are only anti-Russian "plants" - one right here on this forum, with >1600 anti-Russia topics opened since 2019. Why would I be an idiot? Because I tell the inconvenient truth?
I'm also wondering whether some people are genuinely ignorant or just simply evil, lacking any kind of moral compass.

Russia offered a reasonable alternative: either NATO promises that it doesn't accept Ukraine into NATO, or Ukraine promises not to join NATO - all for a very simple reason: NATO is an organization created to counter Russia, controlled by Russia's enemies! It's an unacceptable security risk to Russia to allow more NATO bases/weaponry next to its territory.
What a disgusting attempted excuse for a dictator murdering people. And you have the nerve to use then words 'moral compass' while you fawn on a psychopath! But you are nearly right on one point NATO was founded to counter the threat of enslavement by the Soviet Union.

The danger from Putin's evil empire remains and is now evident to all but the willfully blind,

What a disgusting attempted excuse for a dictator murdering people. And you have the nerve to use then words 'moral compass' while you fawn on a psychopath! But you are nearly right on one point NATO was founded to counter the threat of enslavement by the Soviet Union.

The danger from Putin's evil empire remains and is now evident to all but the willfully blind,
He's posting from Savushkina Street.

Nuff said.

In his speech ahead of his attack on Ukraine tonight, Putin threatened the Western world with the devastating consequences if we interfere. It can only be interpreted in one way. He is ready to use nuclear weapons (“consequences we have never seen”...)

The thing is that as long as the Ukraine manages to withhold it’s ground these initial weeks, the country has a great chance of resisting the Russian attack. The population is motivated and prepared for resistance, the size of the army is as large as the Russian attack force and the West will continue to supply Ukraine with ammunition and weapons.

A defeat or prolonged war is not in his world of performance so the question is, if the Ukraine withstand the assault, will he then also use nuclear weapons to make a quick completion of the invasion and will the Russian military let him do so or will he be removed from within?

We have already seen the use of nuclear weapons, so I don't think it is that which he refers to.

There will be no ongoing occupation of the entire territory of Ukraine imo he has already said so and I think it is one of the occasions where he is believable. The Russians will just batter the place and then retreat back to Russia with forces remaining only in the extended peoples republics in the east.

I hate all of the bs surrounding the Ukrainian chances against such a formidable foe and calls for them to " resist". The cheering on of those hopelessly outmatched and abandoned by those that have led them falsely to believe they have MEANINGFUL support is just sickening to watch and only, imo, ensures a bigger death toll than a shorter war.

And if he uses nuclear weapons on Ukraine, are we still going to stand and watch? How does that work? Surely there's some sort of rule about not using those ghastly things, isn't there?

If there is and I doubt it ,the US remains the only nation guilty of the use thereof

If there is and I doubt it ,the US remains the only nation guilty of the use thereof
Good morning. Thanks for the 10 Second Hate on America.

Good morning. Thanks for the 10 Second Hate on America.

You're welcome and sorry if the truth hurts you so much

As much as you might wish it, you're not hurting anyone here.

Sure thing but still, your hypocrisy is entertaining.

Exactly why we are a target and to apply for membership now would make us even more of a target since that would give Putin the excuse that NATO is threatening Russia by moving closer.

But still; Gotland already is a target for him so maybe it doesn’t matter what we do or don’t do.

I do however disagree with the Conservatives and the news reporters on mainly SVT and TV4 that we should send defensive weapons to the Ukraine. We might very well be needing them for ourselves soon (That is if you are correct, and it will be a swift takeover.) What talks in the favor of you being correct is that it seems that Russia has been able to neutralize several military bases last night. But nothing is confirmed so far so I am holding on my hope on the Ukraines.
Finns fought like berserkers and ghosts last time, no?

To hold Putin, Lawrow and the whole dishonest bunch of the Kremlin to be believable in anything at all, constitutes the height of naivety and thus stupidity.

And believing that the Kremlin would be satisfied with consolidating the Donbass "Republics" into its Federation is equally so.

It wouldn't, for one thing, address Ukraine's continuing desire to enter NATO and EU. something written into the Ukrainian constitution since 2019, and, for another, not address Russian concerns over both encirclement by NATO and the irritant that a democratic and thus continually economically prospering state provides on its very doorstep.

That latter item being even more frustrating in that it is, according to not just Kremlin's stance, a nation of ethnic brotherhood.

As to sneering at calls for Ukraine to resist, especially when those calls come from within that nation, go tell it to the Poles, the Baltics, the Czechs, the Hungarians and everybody else that did just that in the past.

Letting any bully have his way on account of not having a chance against him would have the whole world run by bullies.

Joining NATO does not mean a huge arms buildup in that country. All those eastern European countries that joined NATO did not see a huge arms buildup after they joined NATO.

The arms buildup in eastern NATO countries is happening only now that Russia has aggressively invaded Georgia and Ukraine for no reason.

Prior to 2014 Russia probably could have gotten a promise from Ukraine to not join NATO. But now Ukraine will join NATO at the first opportunity.

Joining NATO does not mean a huge arms buildup in that country. All those eastern European countries that joined NATO did not see a huge arms buildup after they joined NATO.

The arms buildup in eastern NATO countries is happening only now that Russia has aggressively invaded Georgia and Ukraine for no reason.

Prior to 2014 Russia probably could have gotten a promise from Ukraine to not join NATO. But now Ukraine will join NATO at the first opportunity.

You don't appear to understand that the European powerhouses in NATO won't allow the Ukraine into NATO anyhow. You seem to think its Ukraines choice when it isn't,

There were no mores against the use of nuclear weapons when the US used them.

I never said there was, read the post again.

But, seeing as everyone has Putin down to be a madman for his alleged wish to use nuclear weapons ( not a credible accusation anyhow) what does it say about those that remain the only nation ever to have used them?

To hold Putin, Lawrow and the whole dishonest bunch of the Kremlin to be believable in anything at all, constitutes the height of naivety and thus stupidity.

And believing that the Kremlin would be satisfied with consolidating the Donbass "Republics" into its Federation is equally so.

It wouldn't, for one thing, address Ukraine's continuing desire to enter NATO and EU. something written into the Ukrainian constitution since 2019, and, for another, not address Russian concerns over both encirclement by NATO and the irritant that a democratic and thus continually economically prospering state provides on its very doorstep.

That latter item being even more frustrating in that it is, according to not just Kremlin's stance, a nation of ethnic brotherhood.

As to sneering at calls for Ukraine to resist, especially when those calls come from within that nation, go tell it to the Poles, the Baltics, the Czechs, the Hungarians and everybody else that did just that in the past.

Letting any bully have his way on account of not having a chance against him would have the whole world run by bullies.

The world is already " run by bullies" in case you hadn't noticed. Putin being one of many, And they all lie.

NATO membership might be written into the Ukrainian constitution but the major European powers in NATO will likely never allow it.

Talk about missing the obvious

You don't appear to understand that the European powerhouses in NATO won't allow the Ukraine into NATO anyhow.
Correct. I do not understand this. I do not believe it to be true.

You seem to think its Ukraines choice when it isn't,
Ukraine has the right to not join NATO if they choose to not do so.

I never said there was, read the post again.
I got the sense from your post that you think that there was something bad about our having used nuclear weapons in WWII.

But, seeing as everyone has Putin down to be a madman for his alleged wish to use nuclear weapons
I see Putin more as a wannabe Napoleon.

not a credible accusation anyhow
Hard to know how serious he is.

He clearly would not hesitate to use nuclear weapons if he thought he could get away with it.

I don't know if he thinks that he would be able to get away with it.

what does it say about those that remain the only nation ever to have used them?
It says nothing at all about us.

The world is already "run by bullies" in case you hadn't noticed. Putin being one of many, And they all lie.
Many parts of the world are run by democratic governments.

And just to be clear, I mean my above statement to be contradictory to "them being run by bullies".

Correct. I do not understand this. I do not believe it to be true.

It's true. To be a NATO member all states have to agree to let you in. France and Germany don't want Ukraine to be in, so it's not getting in
Ukraine has the right to not join NATO if they choose to not do so.

see above

I got the sense from your post that you think that there was something bad about our having used nuclear weapons in WWII.

I was saying that if someone is " mad" for even considering the use of nukes , allegedly Putin but with no supporting evidence or logic behind it, what does it say about the sanity of people that have actually used them, twice? The only nation on earth to have ever done so.

Hard to know how serious he is.

He hasn't said he wants to use them. It's speculation, you do understand the difference?

He clearly would not hesitate if he thought he could get away with it.

Speculation on your behalf
It says nothing at all about us.

It does, it says that it is rich to listen to citizens of the only nation on earth to have used nukes on two seperate occasions trying to call someone, who hasn't and hasn't said the want to use them, a " madman"

I know you will just trott out the same old " I don't want to understand the reality or apply logic or reason and I won't believe you about France/Germany etc etc" so don't be surprised if you don't get another response if you do resort to that.

France and Germany don't want Ukraine to be in,
I do not believe that this is true.

see above
Regardless of whether they oppose Ukraine joining NATO, France and Germany certainly do not have the power to force Ukraine to join NATO against their will.

He hasn't said he wants to use them. It's speculation, you do understand the difference?
Putin has threatened to use nuclear weapons to prevent interference with his ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

Speculation on your behalf
Not at all. Putin has repeatedly demonstrated willingness to cross such lines if he thinks that he can get away with doing so.

There is no question that he will use nuclear weapons if he believes that the world is afraid to penalize him for doing so.

It does, it says that it is rich to listen to citizens of the only nation on earth to have used nukes on two seperate occasions trying to call someone, who hasn't and hasn't said the want to use them, a " madman"
I haven't called him a madman. I call him a dangerous and aggressive bully.

There is nothing wrong with America denouncing the possible use of nuclear weapons. Would you prefer a world where nuclear weapons are routinely used in warfare?

I know you will just trott out the same old " I don't want to understand the reality or apply logic or reason
I always understand reality (and apply logic and reason).

and I won't believe you about France/Germany etc etc" so don't be surprised if you don't get another response if you do resort to that.
It is true that I do not agree with your claim that France or Germany oppose letting Ukraine into NATO.

Last edited:
Sorry for truncating your post in my quote below, it's not my intention to take anything from the rest of it. Just that I wanted to clear up these issues
I do not believe that this is true.

It is true that I do not agree with your claim that France or Germany oppose letting Ukraine into NATO.
What this current catastrophe would today do to the stance of either is anybody's guess (and also a moot issue right now), but at the Nato summit in Bucharest in 2008, both countries vetoed acceptance of Ukraine into NATO, against the fervent desire of specifically the US.
I always understand reality (and apply logic and reason).
Can't always say that for myself but I believe to still making a better job of that than the poster you responded to above,

Last edited:
OW2 up to his old tricks of prevarications by applying tu quoques, misquoting posts of others by addressing them in truncation, generally misrepresenting what others have written by creating strawmen and spreading general tediousness of once again demonstrating ignorance on the subject as such.

Nothing new here from said source

OW2 up to his old tricks of prevarications by applying tu quoques, misquoting posts of others by addressing them in truncation, generally misrepresenting what others have written by creating strawmen and spreading general tediousness of once again demonstrating ignorance on the subject as such.

Nothing new here from said source

The now common Chagos projection post, who knew.

What is funny is that you actually had to agree that was I was saying about France and Germany was true. As for the rest, a common feature of too many here imo, just a whole raft of adhominems that have no basis in reality.

i don't know how long you carry your own sorenesses around with you but it does appear to be a years on end thing. Which is good to know.

Back
Top Bottom