• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proposal to Change the 14th amendment on "anchor babies"

If you even attempt to get a job, no matter how little it pays, your welfare benefits are cut off. Since most of the people on welfare have little or no work experience, they're not going to be able to get a job out of the gate that pays all the bills. Thus, welfare punishes those who attempt to better themselves and therefore, most never bother to try.

You've never been on welfare have you?

No they are not cut off if you even attempt to get a job no matter how little it pays. The determining factor of weather or not you get/have/keep welfare is one thing. Money brought in, in relation to living expenses. If you make X amount of money and qualify for welfare then you are entitled to stay on that welfare until you get X amount of money.

So: John has no job. Obviously he qualifies for welfare in the amount of $600. John gets a job that pays him $800 a month. Johns bills add up to $700 a month. Johns welfare goes down because of the job to $400 a month. John gets a raise later on so he is now making $1000 a month..bills stay the same. His welfare goes down to $150 a month. John gets another raise later on and is now making $1200 a month. His welfare is finally cut off.

*note that these figures are just off the top of my head and are in no way exact figures needed to get on welfare or keep welfare.

That is how the welfare system works. Based on your income and essential expenses. NOT on the fact of weather you have a job or not.

Mexican citizens aren't interested in assimilating into America. First of all, American culture is degraded and crass. No Mexican in his or her right mind wants to be an American. Mexicans want the lifestyle without being American.

The Mexicans aren't under any pressure to assimilate. I've been forced to learn Spanglish in order to cope. I live right on the front lines of the illegal alien invasion. That's why I am reacting in this manner. They are not assimilating.

They are colonists and expatriates, not immigrants.

Is there anyone in this world that you actually respect? Seriously. In this post alone, American culture is worthless, so no one wants to assimilate to it, and Mexicans just want to steal everything. Does no one actually feel good about anything? American culture is pretty cool, and a lot of people around the world admire it, at least in part. I don't think you even have a political point here. I just see a generally dim view of everyone.

If this were totally true then they would have worked harder to become Legal residents/citizens instead of not even trying and just coming here illegally.

And you don't think that maybe it's because the process is expensive and time consuming and they are poverty stricken and staving now? Maybe, just maybe, the process of legal immigration is a bit too difficult for these folks to manage. Not to mention that a great deal of their employment requires them not to be covered under minimum wage laws. If they were legally here, they might not be able to find work at all.

Most people who cross into the US from Mexico aren't looking for a free ride. They're here to work hard and build a better life. Do you not see the guys standing on corners selling oranges in all sorts of awful weather?

Is there anyone in this world that you actually respect? Seriously. In this post alone, American culture is worthless, so no one wants to assimilate to it, and Mexicans just want to steal everything. Does no one actually feel good about anything? American culture is pretty cool, and a lot of people around the world admire it, at least in part. I don't think you even have a political point here. I just see a generally dim view of everyone.

I respect and admire East and South Asians. In China the story of America is a cautionary tale of what not to do. Although I am white, my family is racially mixed. We favor our Asian side. For Asians, the future is bright. For Americans...not so much.

The decline of America can be used to destroy the ideology of American leftists. That's looking at the bright side of things.

And you don't think that maybe it's because the process is expensive and time consuming and they are poverty stricken and staving now? Maybe, just maybe, the process of legal immigration is a bit too difficult for these folks to manage. Not to mention that a great deal of their employment requires them not to be covered under minimum wage laws. If they were legally here, they might not be able to find work at all.

Most people who cross into the US from Mexico aren't looking for a free ride. They're here to work hard and build a better life. Do you not see the guys standing on corners selling oranges in all sorts of awful weather?

If they're too broke to pay to get in legally then we don't need em. There are plenty of other people that could use the jobs on this side of the border.

...but wait...if they are too broke to pay for the way in legally how is it that they are able to pay the smugglers to bring em here? Oh...that's right..one of the ways they're paying their way in is by smuggling illegal drugs into the country? Oh yeah...we defineately want those types of people in our country huh?

Yeah..you're not going to get much sympathy from me on this subject. Not while we have veteran's living in the streets.

We can get new blood just fine with our current immigration laws. Despite what pro-illegal people think (or at the very least say)...those that are against those that come here illegally are not xenophobic and have absolutely no problem with people that come here legally.

Then they should accept anchor babies as legal citizens while deporting the parents. Like it or not, anchor babies are legal US citizens. They didn't come here illegally so you should have no problem with them. Now you can have problems with the parents as I do. But to attack a legal child citizen because of their parent strikes me as exceedingly un-America.

Btw, I am by no means pro-illegal. I am for full deportation and massive fines to companies who employ illegals. They can get at the end of the line in their home countries. But I can't see these anchor babies as illegal because their not illegal.

Then they should accept anchor babies as legal citizens while deporting the parents. Like it or not, anchor babies are legal US citizens. They didn't come here illegally so you should have no problem with them. Now you can have problems with the parents as I do. But to attack a legal child citizen because of their parent strikes me as exceedingly un-America.

Btw, I am by no means pro-illegal. I am for full deportation and massive fines to companies who employ illegals. They can get at the end of the line in their home countries. But I can't see these anchor babies as illegal because their not illegal.

What silly logic you have friend. You would reward behavior that is detrimental to the Country, and burden the public. To what end? You would only encourage more of the same. Overturn it, and solve both problems.

What silly logic you have friend. You would reward behavior that is detrimental to the Country, and burden the public. To what end? You would only encourage more of the same. Overturn it, and solve both problems.

Silly....no. Appropriate is the term you should use. I don't have to some how make legal citizens illegal to make my point. there is no reason to overturn this prevision in the Constitution because these kids are not breaking the Constitution in any way. There are two people in these situations: the child and the parent(s). The parents are illegal and should be deported. The child here has done nothing that is detrimental to the country and is not illegal. You are taking the crime of the parent and placing that crime onto the child. We don't do that in this country. We never have. We prosucute the person responsible for breaking the law.

Further, the children are no more a burden to the public then any other child in our health system or adoption system (considering most states now support free health care for children and all states have agencies for orphans should it come to that). So your point is moot here too as we don't base these systems on hard numbers. We do what must be done to protect and care for all child citizens.

I don't care if they personally crossed the border illegally or not. Their parents did and that is enough for me.

And just because we don't care if people come here legally does not mean that we cannot be against anchor babies. There is no hypocrisy involved there.

Why does America import poverty? Why does America want to be a third world country?

Mexican citizens aren't interested in assimilating into America. First of all, American culture is degraded and crass. No Mexican in his or her right mind wants to be an American. Mexicans want the lifestyle without being American.

The Mexicans aren't under any pressure to assimilate. I've been forced to learn Spanglish in order to cope. I live right on the front lines of the illegal alien invasion. That's why I am reacting in this manner. They are not assimilating.

They are colonists and expatriates, not immigrants.

I agree! No to anchor babies! No to illegal passage into the US!

Let's change the 14th amendment, but it's retroactive. You were born here, so you're a citizen. Not after the change! Gotta check your parents. Were they citizens? Yes, but wait, why? Because they were born here. Better check your grandparents. And so on, and so forth.

The south voluntarily terminated their citizenship. All of their descendants are not illegal aliens! I can get on board with this.

Let's change the 14th amendment, but it's retroactive. You were born here, so you're a citizen. Not after the change! Gotta check your parents. Were they citizens? Yes, but wait, why? Because they were born here. Better check your grandparents. And so on, and so forth.

The south voluntarily terminated their citizenship. All of their descendants are not illegal aliens! I can get on board with this.

Nah, I'm perfectly fine with allowing the gandfather clause to work in this situation.

Silly....no. Appropriate is the term you should use. I don't have to some how make legal citizens illegal to make my point. there is no reason to overturn this prevision in the Constitution because these kids are not breaking the Constitution in any way. There are two people in these situations: the child and the parent(s). The parents are illegal and should be deported. The child here has done nothing that is detrimental to the country and is not illegal. You are taking the crime of the parent and placing that crime onto the child. We don't do that in this country. We never have. We prosucute the person responsible for breaking the law.

Further, the children are no more a burden to the public then any other child in our health system or adoption system (considering most states now support free health care for children and all states have agencies for orphans should it come to that). So your point is moot here too as we don't base these systems on hard numbers. We do what must be done to protect and care for all child citizens.

Are parents no longer responsible for their children? I think they are, therefore will have to take their child with them.

All of this seems moot as no one is being deported. So you amend the amendment to make babies without a country. They'll still be here whether they are citizens, or not.

All of this seems moot as no one is being deported. So you amend the amendment to make babies without a country. They'll still be here whether they are citizens, or not.

If the Amendment is amended then it will not say that they are without a country. Just that they are not citizens of THIS country. They can still be citizens of their parents country. A little logic goes a long ways.

If the Amendment is amended then it will not say that they are without a country. Just that they are not citizens of THIS country. They can still be citizens of their parents country. A little logic goes a long ways.

Yeah sure, right up until one of Mexico's bureaucracies requires them to submit a birth certificate.

The logic goes both ways too.

Yeah sure, right up until one of Mexico's bureaucracies requires them to submit a birth certificate.

That's on their parents. Like it or not, the world's population is not our responsibility. Maybe if their criminal illegal alien parents had stayed where they belonged, they wouldn't have had a problem.

Place the blame where it belongs.

That's on their parents. Like it or not, the world's population is not our responsibility. Maybe if their criminal illegal alien parents had stayed where they belonged, they wouldn't have had a problem.

Place the blame where it belongs.

But that is too logical. No one here has ever said that it was the childs fault for their parents coming here illegally so that thier kids would be born here as citizens.

Mexico has the same law as the US in that if the child is born of one or two Mexican citizens then that child also has citizenship regardless of where the child was born. Nice try though.

But that is too logical. No one here has ever said that it was the childs fault for their parents coming here illegally so that thier kids would be born here as citizens.

Fault is irrelevant. Life is not fair. Get over it. Actions have consequences.

Mexico has the same law as the US in that if the child is born of one or two Mexican citizens then that child also has citizenship regardless of where the child was born. Nice try though.

I looked this up, and you are correct.

No, keep it the way it is. These kids are gonna grow up and learn in our education system and help the economy. Maybe even become a scientist or doctor or something. Remember fellas, this is how we all got here. I'm all for border security but taking out a constitutional right that has been there for so long and been a foundation of this nation aint gonna fly with me.

No, they'll have the country of the parents. What the hell are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom