• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump Blames Barack Obama's 'Weakness' for Chemical Attack in Syria

Trump blames Obama for a lot of things.

Actually, he blames a lot of people for a lot of things.

But he never blames himself for his own shortcomings.

Now, how about that?

His personality disorder prevents an apology, or even self criticism.

Some people do!:2razz:

And others will never get it until the GOP looses seats next year. The rush of power the GOP is enjoying, has clouded there judgement in regards to Trump and Russia, enjoy Conservatives, Nov 2018 will be here before you know it.

His personality disorder prevents an apology, or even self criticism.

It's so difficult to appreciate anyone who lacks the ability to self depricate

It's so difficult to appreciate anyone who lacks the ability to self depricate

Exactly, the man needs to look up the word humility, it would serve him well, as would a shrink.

Why are you so obsessed with Rob's unit?

Do not even bother. The poster asking the question pulled the same stunt on me, asking about my military service, I then was subjected to barrage of posts from a couple like minded folks and called a liar, screw them. I served proudly for 20, and did not vote for Trump, not ashamed of either decision. The ignore button is a great feature.

Do not even bother. The poster asking the question pulled the same stunt on me, asking about my military service, I then was subjected to barrage of posts from a couple like minded folks and called a liar, screw them. I served proudly for 20, and did not vote for Trump, not ashamed of either decision.

Dude I was making a joke. I'm sorry if my crude sense of humor offended.

I do, seriously thank you for your service!

Oh no, we got our wires crossed, it was not directed at you in any way, rather the poster you were asking in #56. No foul, no harm.

few

My military service has only been called into question on this board by a select few Conservatives. These same folks, do it quite often to others.

But he never blames himself for his own shortcomings.
It's a clear sign of someone you wouldn't want to hire, work with, or associate with, and sure as hell never work FOR.

It's a clear sign of someone you wouldn't want to hire, work with, or associate with, and sure as hell never work FOR.
Yeah, but unfortunately this guy now has power to control and influence our lives. It's not like leaving a bad job or relationship. We're stuck with him screwing with us. Unless we want to take a long expat vacation!

I agree that Obama's show of weakness in dealing with Assad's chemical weapons made this recent use of them more likely. Now I expect another fairly weak response, probably the bombing of certain parts of certain airfields in Syria by U.S. aircraft. I doubt President Trump will order a large-scale, general attack on Syrian weapons and munitions capable of delivering chemical poisons, or on any facilities where those poisons are produced or stored, partly because of the risk of killing Russians that would entail.

This is an issue that the Obama failed to addressed. Period.

The weakness of obama was drawing a red line and then wimping out when assad crossed it

If obama had decided to let the syrians kill each other with no intervention from the US that would be ok with me.

But instead he decided to get involved in the weakest way possible and did nothing but make the situation worse in my opinion

Mac77,

You comment, particularly the part in bold, makes no sense. First you claim Obama showed weakness by doing nothing, then you claim you would've been satisfied if he had decided to do nothing and let the warring factions kill each other. Then you claim that by getting involved he made the situation worse without providing any evidence of any kind of chemical attack on Syrian nationals since 2013 when the "arrangement" was made between Syria and Russia for Syria to turn over its chemical weapons to Russia to be destroyed.

People forget that neither the American people nor Congress wanted to get bogged down in what the world knew was a civil war in Syria. Granted, the situation calls for worldwide involvement on humanitarian grounds due to so many of Syria's nationals being displaced (refugees) due to the fallout from the war, but unless NATO was going to get involved I think Obama was smart to remain on the sidelines for as long as possible in this matter.

Now, here we are today some 4 years later still watching from the sidelines trying to figure out our options. I say if NATO still refuses to get involved militarily against Assad or any of his allies (code for Russia), then there's very little we can do about it.

Last edited:
My military service has only been called into question on this board by a select few Conservatives. These same folks, do it quite often to others.

I don't know why anyone would do that unless they feel guilty for not serving themselves. Thanks, again.

Mac77,

You comment, particularly the part in bold, makes no sense. First you claim Obama showed weakness by doing nothing, then you claim you would've been satisfied if he had decided to do nothing and let the warring factions kill each other. Then you claim that by getting involved he made the situation worse without providing any evidence of any kind of chemical attack on Syrian nationals since 2013 when the "arrangement" was made between Syria and Russia for Syria to turn over its chemical weapons to Russia to be destroyed.

People forget that neither the American people nor Congress wanted to get bogged down in what the world knew was a civil war in Syria. Granted, the situation calls for worldwide involvement on humanitarian grounds due to so many of Syria's nationals being displaced (refugees) due to the fallout from the war, but unless NATO was going to get involved I think Obama was smart to remain on the sidelines for as long as possible in this matter.

Now, here we are today some 4 years later still watching from the sidelines trying to figure out our options. I say if NATO still refuses to get involved militarily against Assad or any of his allies (code for Russia), then there's very little we can do about it.

We were having success in Iraq and Barack pulled out causing the growth of ISIS. Obama is complicit.

By remaining silent, it shows weakness. Asaad needs to be killed immediately.

And we're just the ones to do it, huh? :doh

We did!

The response is the most important part in warfare not the analysis. Warfare is 90% response 10% analysis. Too many times we saw the Obama administration have it backwards.

The Republicans aren't going to push Trump out unless he refuses to sign every bill they send him. That they are too dysfunctional to write any bills is both amusing and scary. It's also probably better for the country. Trump also has a rabid "base" that the GOP needs - they can't afford to offend that base.

Pence would be next, which is terrible, but probably not bordering on existential crisis.

Both Republicans and Democrats serve at the pleasure of TPTB. Now that Trump has followed instructions from TPTB and bombed Syria, his future as POTUS is looking splendid. Just this morning, I have changed my mind--he's likely to stay now that he has become the obedient and enthusiastic POTUS.

We did!

The response is the most important part in warfare not the analysis. Warfare is 90% response 10% analysis. Too many times we saw the Obama administration have it backwards.

Actually, I think he had it right per Articles 39-43 of the UN Charter http://www.securitycouncilreport.org/atf/cf/{65BFCF9B-6D27-4E9C-8CD3-CF6E4FF96FF9}/s_res_2118.pdf, UN Resolution 2118(2013), and UN Security Counsel memo dated 9/24/2013 pertaining to the joint efforts by the U.S. and USSR to destroy Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles. The Chemical Weapons Convention Pres. Trump referred to in his news conference last night (4/06/2017) set the stage for the aforementioned international and bi-lateral agreements.

I think our nation's 45th President may have violated international law himself with his actions. They'll be no consequence for it by the UN, of course. But the steaks just got higher against Russia and China (and possibly Iran and Saudi Arabia) having our backs where future military action in Syria is concerned.

Actually, I think he had it right per Articles 39-43 of the UN Charter http://www.securitycouncilreport.org/atf/cf/{65BFCF9B-6D27-4E9C-8CD3-CF6E4FF96FF9}/s_res_2118.pdf, UN Resolution 2118(2013), and UN Security Counsel memo dated 9/24/2013 pertaining to the joint efforts by the U.S. and USSR to destroy Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles. The Chemical Weapons Convention Pres. Trump referred to in his news conference last night (4/06/2017) set the stage for the aforementioned international and bi-lateral agreements.

I think our nation's 45th President may have violated international law himself with his actions. They'll be no consequence for it by the UN, of course. But the steaks just got higher against Russia and China (and possibly Iran and Saudi Arabia) having our backs where future military action in Syria is concerned.

Not this international law crap again. How many times did bleeding heart liberals cite this during the Bush administration?

The United Nation is nothing more than a book club to talk.

Not this international law crap again. How many times did bleeding heart liberals cite this during the Bush administration?

The United Nation is nothing more than a book club to talk.

We have to abide by the same international laws as every other sovereign nation. So, whether you like it or not, the UN is still very relevant whether you agree with it, its existence or pretense as a viable world-body or not.

We have to abide by the same international laws as every other sovereign nation. So, whether you like it or not, the UN is still very relevant whether you agree with it, its existence or pretense as a viable world-body or not.

No we don't. By your logic every U.S president since Roosevelt has violated international law and committed war crimes.

By abiding international law and the UN that greatly undermines the United States defense and national security and emboldens ISIS, Russia, North Korea, Iran, Syria, etc...

Back
Top Bottom