• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Biden's Speech: Killed It! (My Opinion)

Hey guys! I just wanted to make a blog post about Biden's speech today, and I guess fully lay out my thoughts on this.

Hands down, the best speech of his entire career, not just as POTUS. I never have felt more pleased by a Biden speech, and it feels like he aged backwards a few years, because he didn't stumble in this speech at all. I'm very pleased that the Biden administration is taking charge on this angle. Biden's whole thing was running on bipartisanship, which is why he got elected. I think he was intending to bring back the sort of cooperation that he enjoyed as a member of the United States Senate for Delaware. And that's honestly admirable of him; he wasn't my choice for POTUS, but I was very much proud to have voted for him. But 'MAGA Republicans' are a whole different breed. The GOP largely still doesn't accept Biden's 2020 victory, and they defend everything Trump does under the sun, and pushes back at everything the Biden administration is looking to pass for the sake of blocking it. There was absolutely no excuse to vote against the PACT act, but about 20 or so Republicans switched their votes for the sake of blocking it, and only switched them back after they got severly ridiculed by the public, not limited to loads to veteran's advocacy groups. Examples such as this are why I am very glad Biden is taking the trail that he does, and that he did in this speech. You can't be bipartisan with this sort of ridiculousness! This is the crowd retweeting #PedoHitler on Twitter for Christ's sake. I think Biden is actually using his positon as POTUS properly here; as a tool to invigorate his base. Donald Trump, never shied away from using his position as POTUS to get his base going, and look at them; they love him for it. They love him to the point some went as far as committing capital crimes in his name. Biden was always generally mellowed out before this (a lot of the time, anyway), and that's very hard to unite around when we're facing such a big threat to our own democracy and our norms at the moment. We need to have a loud and proud leader that advocates for the right things in the right way, not someone who whimpers into the sunset. I think Joe's focus on an ideological committment to protecting democracy was the right way to frame this speech. This stuff isn't going to go away if we just ignore it; it needs to be addressed head-on, and with a heck a lot of spunk. This is the type of leadership that is going to get our people out to vote in the midterms!

Let me also say again that I am not mixing all Republicans into this. I very much respect all the Republicans/conservatives that do not parrot Trump's idiocy and his lies. It very much sucks that the moderate faction in the Republican party keeps shrinking, but I hope that these people keep going strong. I think this is a great move for the Biden administration, for the Democratic Party, and everyone in the USA that is deeply concerned about how Donald Trump has damaged our democracy in this country. I feel like we've finally got the direction that I've been pining for from this administration.

Heck yes, am I proud to have Joe Biden as my President. This is what I want to see from Joe, and even if the midterms don't go the way that I'd like them too, I hope he doesn't drop this for the remainder of his presidency.

Hey guys! I just wanted to make a blog post about Biden's speech today, and I guess fully lay out my thoughts on this.

Hands down, the best speech of his entire career, not just as POTUS. I never have felt more pleased by a Biden speech, and it feels like he aged backwards a few years, because he didn't stumble in this speech at all. I'm very pleased that the Biden administration is taking charge on this angle. Biden's whole thing was running on bipartisanship, which is why he got elected. I think he was intending to bring back the sort of cooperation that he enjoyed as a member of the United States Senate for Delaware. And that's honestly admirable of him; he wasn't my choice for POTUS, but I was very much proud to have voted for him. But 'MAGA Republicans' are a whole different breed. The GOP largely still doesn't accept Biden's 2020 victory, and they defend everything Trump does under the sun, and pushes back at everything the Biden administration is looking to pass for the sake of blocking it. There was absolutely no excuse to vote against the PACT act, but about 20 or so Republicans switched their votes for the sake of blocking it, and only switched them back after they got severly ridiculed by the public, not limited to loads to veteran's advocacy groups. Examples such as this are why I am very glad Biden is taking the trail that he does, and that he did in this speech. You can't be bipartisan with this sort of ridiculousness! This is the crowd retweeting #PedoHitler on Twitter for Christ's sake. I think Biden is actually using his positon as POTUS properly here; as a tool to invigorate his base. Donald Trump, never shied away from using his position as POTUS to get his base going, and look at them; they love him for it. They love him to the point some went as far as committing capital crimes in his name. Biden was always generally mellowed out before this (a lot of the time, anyway), and that's very hard to unite around when we're facing such a big threat to our own democracy and our norms at the moment. We need to have a loud and proud leader that advocates for the right things in the right way, not someone who whimpers into the sunset. I think Joe's focus on an ideological committment to protecting democracy was the right way to frame this speech. This stuff isn't going to go away if we just ignore it; it needs to be addressed head-on, and with a heck a lot of spunk. This is the type of leadership that is going to get our people out to vote in the midterms!

Let me also say again that I am not mixing all Republicans into this. I very much respect all the Republicans/conservatives that do not parrot Trump's idiocy and his lies. It very much sucks that the moderate faction in the Republican party keeps shrinking, but I hope that these people keep going strong. I think this is a great move for the Biden administration, for the Democratic Party, and everyone in the USA that is deeply concerned about how Donald Trump has damaged our democracy in this country. I feel like we've finally got the direction that I've been pining for from this administration.

Heck yes, am I proud to have Joe Biden as my President. This is what I want to see from Joe, and even if the midterms don't go the way that I'd like them too, I hope he doesn't drop this for the remainder of his presidency.

"I very much respect all the Republicans/conservatives that do not parrot Trump's idiocy and his lies. It very much sucks that the moderate faction in the Republican party keeps shrinking, but I hope that these people keep going strong. I think this is a great move for the Biden administration, for the Democratic.."

So would I if I ever meet one!

"I very much respect all the Republicans/conservatives that do not parrot Trump's idiocy and his lies. It very much sucks that the moderate faction in the Republican party keeps shrinking, but I hope that these people keep going strong. I think this is a great move for the Biden administration, for the Democratic.."

There are a fair number out there.

There are also many millions of independents who won’t agree with the Democrats on everything, but want no part in MAGA’s fascism and mental break with reality.

There are a fair number out there.

There are also many millions of independents who won’t agree with the Democrats on everything, but want no part in MAGA’s fascism and mental break with reality.

I don't see any of that.

For the last five years its been Republican/Trump and Trump/Republican. I've lost touch with anyone I respected before Trump and so far have no time nor energy for ANYTHING Republican. I'd say that's true of most Canadians. We don't see much on the news about Republicans fed up with Trump.

To us, from what I've witnessed over the last four years there is no difference between Republican and Trump. They are interchangeable. I am open to changing my opinion, but I have to see some substance first.

It's an improvement over no difference between "American" and Trump, they were pretty much one in the same there at the beginning.

Hate to tell you this but the American "brand" has suffered a great deal as a result of Fatbastard. We used to like Americans here. But we're not so eager now.
Trust is a flimsy thing, and he caused most of the world to distrust Americans more than ever! My neighbor runs a bed & breakfast out of her home. She began refusing American clients shortly after Trump was elected. She told me she couldn't stand the 'bragging' that her customers were so "hard sell" on Trump.

You've got a lot of ground to recover on the international scene. I used to live there and have friends & relatives below the 49th. And even I am suspicious of Americans. should they open their mouths and start sounding off about "Great America" and Trump this or that, it makes me want our gun laws relaxed just long enough to shut their holes

Real Americans are sick and tired of the magats. Grow or go. We don't need their sickness infecting America.
Telling a MAGA to grow up is like telling the same to a toddler. It will only lead to louder tantrums. There’s not much one can do with misbehaving toddlers other than to manage them sternly, until they misbehave so much that they have to be disciplined. I suspect that’s where we are as a nation.

Telling a MAGA to grow up is like telling the same to a toddler. It will only lead to louder tantrums. There’s not much one can do with misbehaving toddlers other than to manage them sternly, until they misbehave so much that they have to be disciplined. I suspect that’s where we are as a nation.
Yes, but the more you publicly call out the tantrums of a toddler for what they are, the less respect the toddler enjoys and the fewer allies they find to support their childish demands.

They need to grow up, or go. I'm done with their toxic bullshit.

Excerpt from the Great Unifier's speech:

And here, in my view, is what is true: MAGA Republicans do not respect the Constitution. They do not believe in the rule of law. They do not recognize the will of the people. They refuse to accept the results of a free election, and they’re working right now as I speak in state after state to give power to decide elections in America to partisans and cronies, empowering election deniers to undermine democracy itself.

But, unlike you, they're not trying to take away the right of the people to defend themselves with a gun! I realize an election is coming, but stop claiming you support the Constitution when you don't!

But, unlike you, they're not trying to take away the right of the people to defend themselves with a gun! I realize an election is coming, but stop claiming you support the Constitution when you don't!
There is no possible unity with fascist movements and personality cults such as MAGA. It is possible to have unity with adults, such as rational conservatives and Republicans. However, MAGA is a group of toddlers, and one does not try to find common ground with those with the emotional maturity of a three year old child.

Instead, one first tolerates them in hopes that they’ll wear themselves out. If this fails, one gives them a stern talking to, which is where we are now. If that fails, then all that’s left is to discipline them when they misbehave, as we did to a few hundred of these children since 1/6.

As for non-MAGA conservatives, I think there is enormous potential for unity.

Republicans held Congress and the Presidency from 2021 to 2023. Did they repeal background checks?

Of course not. Whatever the constitution says, gun control is too popular for Republicans to stand against.

I don't see any of that.

For the last five years its been Republican/Trump and Trump/Republican. I've lost touch with anyone I respected before Trump and so far have no time nor energy for ANYTHING Republican. I'd say that's true of most Canadians. We don't see much on the news about Republicans fed up with Trump.

To us, from what I've witnessed over the last four years there is no difference between Republican and Trump. They are interchangeable. I am open to changing my opinion, but I have to see some substance first.

It's an improvement over no difference between "American" and Trump, they were pretty much one in the same there at the beginning.

Hate to tell you this but the American "brand" has suffered a great deal as a result of Fatbastard. We used to like Americans here. But we're not so eager now.
Trust is a flimsy thing, and he caused most of the world to distrust Americans more than ever! My neighbor runs a bed & breakfast out of her home. She began refusing American clients shortly after Trump was elected. She told me she couldn't stand the 'bragging' that her customers were so "hard sell" on Trump.

You've got a lot of ground to recover on the international scene. I used to live there and have friends & relatives below the 49th. And even I am suspicious of Americans. should they open their mouths and start sounding off about "Great America" and Trump this or that, it makes me want our gun laws relaxed just long enough to shut their holes

;)

Eh, I get it, but they do exist. Having a reasonable father that is a Republican helps keep my perspective on the matter for sure.

He's not?

And that's pretty telling that you addressed nothing in that exerpt, rather choosing to make a false deflection.

There is no possible unity with fascist movements and personality cults such as MAGA. It is possible to have unity with adults, such as rational conservatives and Republicans. However, MAGA is a group of toddlers, and one does not try to find common ground with those with the emotional maturity of a three year old child.

Instead, one first tolerates them in hopes that they’ll wear themselves out. If this fails, one gives them a stern talking to, which is where we are now. If that fails, then all that’s left is to discipline them when they misbehave, as we did to a few hundred of these children since 1/6.

As for non-MAGA conservatives, I think there is enormous potential for unity.

Like the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, the fascist who supports arming the public and an originalist, independent judiciary is a fantasy. On the other hand, the gun-grabbing fascists who use the courts and the media to perform their bidding are legion.

Republicans held Congress and the Presidency from 2021 to 2023. Did they repeal background checks?

Of course not. Whatever the constitution says, gun control is too popular for Republicans to stand against.
Did you mean 2017-2019?

Even the NRA supported the original National Instant Criminal Background System (NICS). What the fascist Democrats support is expanding it to create a national firearms registry.

Whatever the constitution says, gun control is too popular for Republicans to stand against.

Sounds fascist to me: "Who cares about the constitution! Taking your guns is the will of the people! And we have to stop the MAGAs who don't support the constitution!"

His delivery was pretty good. His public speaking skills are never going to be at the level of Reagan or Obama. But i did not hire him for his speech delivery. It's the content that matters.

But ya for Joe, he did ok delivery, excellent on content

Well, at least you voted for Joe, there's hope for you.

Joe made a great speech, he always does, any idea that he's slipping or up to no good is only fake news.

Eh, I get it, but they do exist. Having a reasonable father that is a Republican helps keep my perspective on the matter for sure.

Like I say I am open to changing my opinion, once I see substance.

I agree there is a small minority of Republicans who have resisted Trump, but one of the strongest just got beat in a primary by one of Trump's puppets.

Back
Top Bottom