• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Powerball jackpot grows to record $1.9 billion as no tickets matched all winning numbers Saturday

Here is my question, what is the most ridiculous purchase that you all would make?

2023 Z07 Vette: 670 HP @ 8200 RPM, 8600 RPM redline. 0-60 in 2.6 Sec, 1/4 Mi in 10.6 @ 131 MPH.

All that with a 3 Yr 50K bumper-to-bumper warranty!

2023-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Z07-5.jpg

And for peace & seclusion when I'm not cavorting about? A Wyoming Ranch! Not a working ranch, but a place I can get some acres around me for some seclusion when I want. 40-60 acres, minimum. I'll put a house down in the middle of it. Mountain views highly desirable.

wyoming-grand-tetons.jpg

With that kind of money, you would very quickly buy everything you want or need. Then what?

It's a math tax.

Enjoy paying your math taxes.

You can choose to be anonymous I think.
You can, but if somehow the secret gets out what then?

I would never need that much money in the first place.

For the vast majority of people who fork over their cash, I see this as a massive scam. I'd love to see 1,000 people pick the winning number. About 2 million bucks not enough for you?

For the vast majority of people who fork over their cash, I see this as a massive scam. I'd love to see 1,000 people pick the winning number. About 2 million bucks not enough for you?

I would be more than happy with that. That is enough to make any reasonably prudent person financially independent.

I would be more than happy with that. That is enough to make any reasonably prudent person financially independent.
They would probably have to draw more than one winning sequence of numbers, probably at least a few hundred. :D

I'd go to a corporate law & accounting firm that handles big accounts. A local lawyer being in charge of a billion dollar guy's legal affairs for the first time? Don't care how much I've liked or trusted him/her up to that point; wouldn't trust him/her farther than I could throw him/her after. Humans are humans.
My lawyer has drawn up our wills. If I should win I will make sure that my wife gets half. That's the deal in the wills.

Screenshot_20221108_103809.jpg
"The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million. The overall odds of winning a prize are 1 in 24.9."

So after the delay yesterday did they say if the winning numbers have been drawn? I haven't seen anything.

Just think, one lucky set of numbers and you can be as rich as (or richer than) Trump actually is.

--

There's not a lot of additional insight to provide here:

Quite simply, Monday's Powerball drawing will be the largest lottery-pot in the history of the world! 2B USD! Even the cash lump-sum prize option will be a billion or more dollars take-home!

--

Can you imagine going to bed, and waking up a billionaire? And not just a mere billionaire, but a billionaire with a billion liquid! Liquid!

It's actually kind of scary.

Enjoy your dreams!
The government can't wait to get their share, minorities and women most adversely affected.

Aren't they $2 a pop? So $600m guaranteed to win $1.9bn
But I think you'd need to buy 1000's of tickets every second. You'd need a huge group of people to pull it off.

Correction, in that case guarantied to "win'. You're not "guaranteed 1.9B". Because, you may have to split the pot and could indeed lose money.

The after-tax payout is around 600M. One split, and you're 300M in the hole!

And yes, a group in Australia once tried this with a small state run lottery, and I seem to recall they either had a net loss, or the profit was not worth the manpower involved. Whatever the reason, I'm not aware of them trying it again.

Reference:

Tuesday, November 8, 2022
9:18 am – Powerball: The Monday, November 7, 2022 Powerball Double Play drawing has taken place, and the results are 1, 21, 27, 29, and 40, with Powerball number 18. To see all the ways your ticket can win a prize in the Double Play drawing, please go to the Ways To Win Powerball page.

9:01 am – Powerball: The Monday, November 7, 2022 Powerball drawing has taken place, and the results are 10, 33, 41, 47, and 56, with Powerball number 10. The Power Play number is 2. To see all the ways your ticket can win a prize, please go to the Ways To Win Powerball page, or you can use the Powerball Search page to type the numbers on your ticket and have the USA Mega computer search the past results. We will announce the number of big winners in this drawing, the states they came from, and the next jackpot within the next couple of hours, here on USA Mega. Good luck!

6:40 am – Record $1.9 billion Powerball drawing delayed until Tuesday. One of the most hotly-anticipated lottery drawings of all time never happened Monday night, as lottery officials were scrambling to process the massive amount of ticket sales data generated by the record $1.9 billion jackpot.

--

Source:

Correction, in that case guarantied to "win'. You're not "guaranteed 1.9B". Because, you may have to split the pot and could indeed lose money.

The after-tax payout is around 600M. One split, and you're 300M in the hole!

And yes, a group in Australia once tried this with a small state run lottery, and I seem to recall they either had a net loss, or the profit was not worth the manpower involved. Whatever the reason, I'm not aware of them trying it again.

Reference:

There's two days between drawings, with machines open for a total of 34 hours.

300,000,000/34hours/3600seconds=2450 tickets you'd have to buy every second, filled out manually and fed through the machine.

Not going to happen unless you have a huge, very well organized network. Even then you risk losing millions.

Back
Top Bottom