• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poor writing skills and abbreviated communication apparently predate the internet.

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I keep hearing about people whining how the younger generations are not able to write, are not able to communicate well, and are undereducated as compared to the past generations.

Apparently, this is not a new meme.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_pace_of_modern_life.png

Re: Poor writing skills and abbreviated communication apparently predate the internet

I can only speak for myself but I went to school before the internet was mainstream and I did not own a PC until I was in my mid 20's and my writing skills suck!

Writing and language are things I have always had a hard time with from very early on. I do not think it is because I am stupid I think it is just not something that I was naturally good at. When I was in jr. high I started taking collage classes in mathematics. In 8th grade I scored 2nd place in a statewide (Grade 7-12) competition in advanced mathematics and mathematical theory. I won a high school award for having the highest grade in math ever achieved at the school. Yet I probably write at an elementary school level. Its just how my brain works. I struggle with both written language as well as verbal language. Funny thing, I absolutely love to read. :shrug: My own brain doesn't make sense LoL.

Re: Poor writing skills and abbreviated communication apparently predate the internet

I keep hearing about people whining how the younger generations are not able to write, are not able to communicate well, and are undereducated as compared to the past generations.

Forget the declining state of communication, I am far more concerned for the declining state of comics, when **** like xkcd passes for a comic at all is a sad commentary on the state of the medium. This piece of **** isnt even illustrated.

I can only speak for myself but I went to school before the internet was mainstream and I did not own a PC until I was in my mid 20's and my writing skills suck!

Writing and language are things I have always had a hard time with from very early on. I do not think it is because I am stupid I think it is just not something that I was naturally good at. When I was in jr. high I started taking collage classes in mathematics. In 8th grade I scored 2nd place in a statewide (Grade 7-12) competition in advanced mathematics and mathematical theory. I won a high school award for having the highest grade in math ever achieved at the school. Yet I probably write at an elementary school level. Its just how my brain works. I struggle with both written language as well as verbal language. Funny thing, I absolutely love to read. :shrug: My own brain doesn't make sense LoL.

I've identified your problem! Those collage classes lead to learning mathematics in an abstract way. You started seeing education as a pattern in randomness and simply applied that process to everything.;)

Poor writing skills and abbreviated communication apparently predate the intern

Forget the declining state of communication, I am far more concerned for the declining state of comics, when **** like xkcd passes for a comic at all is a sad commentary on the state of the medium. This piece of **** isnt even illustrated.

LOL!

To be fair, xkcd has some pretty good stuff.

Of course they predate the internet. Language and communication was around ever since Um and Gen when they first said "Meammm!"

If it is about geometry in math then I would say your brain is more heavily leaned on the right compared to the left. But I do not see a downside to this. You are among a minority of Americans who are good at math. Further you are communicating great with this post here?

If it is about geometry in math then I would say your brain is more heavily leaned on the right compared to the left. But I do not see a downside to this. You are among a minority of Americans who are good at math. Further you are communicating great with this post here?

I just seemed to have a knack for picking up mathematics but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to retain proper writing or spelling skills. I did terribly in both in school and it hasn't gotten any better. Thank goodness for spell-check or no one could understand me. I think it is because math makes sense to me but our language doesn't. I mean we have silent letters in words, shared pronunciation among multiple letters, letters which pronunciation depends on its relation to other letters in a word, words with the same pronunciation but different meanings/spellings, different words with the same or similar meanings. It just seems kind of thrown together without a lot of logical thought or reasoning. Or maybe I am just dense after all.

I just seemed to have a knack for picking up mathematics but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to retain proper writing or spelling skills. I did terribly in both in school and it hasn't gotten any better. Thank goodness for spell-check or no one could understand me. I think it is because math makes sense to me but our language doesn't. I mean we have silent letters in words, shared pronunciation among multiple letters, letters which pronunciation depends on its relation to other letters in a word, words with the same pronunciation but different meanings/spellings, different words with the same or similar meanings. It just seems kind of thrown together without a lot of logical thought or reasoning. Or maybe I am just dense after all.

You would do better at languages where you write what you hear and what you hear you write. Tried foreign languages?

I have very good grammar and spelling writing but it is nearly illegible to most people.

This is true enough, but also misleading. Each worry mentioned was over a change that was occurring, which did influence writing. It could be argued that some did hurt the art form and others not so much. However, change often breeds criticism. The changes today promote simplified communication and as such limits deep meaningful expression. There are certainly still those who command the language, but our technology and life styles don't promote it very well. Well see in the future how much things do or don't change.

Back
Top Bottom