• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police officer charged with 9 counts after allegedly hitting theft suspect with his car

I don't know. That's a standard for the legislature to set and the courts to uphold. It would seem in this case, they don't think it was.
They know it wasn't because the standard have long been set by law. The level of response in this instance was by far not in proportion to the offense. This fleeing suspect posed no threat whatsoever to the public. This man being a 25 year veteran of the police force would be expected to now what the standards are.

Last edited:
?? If they haven't made the 'final charging decisions' they haven't charged him.
You had said they had refused to press charges. He was released on his own recognizance. Which means he got bail without paying a bond by signing a written promise to appear. Probably because he did not have a criminal record and his crime here did not involve any violence.

You had said they had refused to press charges. He was released on his own recognizance. Which means he got bail without paying a bond by signing a written promise to appear. Probably because he did not have a criminal record and his crime here did not involve any violence.
Nope! I said, " It's also strange that they didn't press charges against the suspect with such clear evidence. "

Will have to see how this plays out in court. My guess many of the charges will be dropped.
Could it be that using a vehicle like that could be considered deadly force?

Seems to be an over reaction to what was occurring. A jury will decide.
It certainly was because it long established fact of law that a motor vehicle can be considered to be a deadly weapon. If roles were reversed with this suspect at the wheel of that SUV and cop on the street. That cop would've been fully justified to use deadly force because he believed the SUV being driven in a such an aggressive manner straight at him constituted a direct threat to his life.

Nope! I said, " It's also strange that they didn't press charges against the suspect with such clear evidence. "
You don't know that they haven't. He will find out at his court appearance what if any charges he faces. I would say it's probably not quite so cut and dry it might appear to you as given the unusual chain of events. There may be certain legal issues and facts to be investigated and weighed first before arriving at any charging decisions.

You don't know that they haven't. He will find out at his court appearance what if any charges he faces. I would say it's probably not quite so cut and dry it might appear to you as given the unusual chain of events. There may be certain legal issues and facts to be investigated and weighed first before arriving at any charging decisions.
"Haven't made a charging decision" = "Haven't pressed charges".

It's not that complex a case. He took something from a store in front of a police officer, then ran away from a police officer.

It's not that complex a case. He took something from a store in front of a police officer, then ran away from a police officer.
The driver was a retired cop and doing an undercover stint for the protest. So it wouldn't readily apparent that he was a police officer, or that if he had even identified himself as being one, or what kind of authority he would have being retired. That guy wasn't the one that broke the window either.

It is a criminal offense to arrest any criminal in the act of committing a crime in Portland. Are the police in Portland so low in IQ to realize all criminal laws have been repealed in Portland?

Everyone knows if you run into the street in front of cars and one of the cars hits you, it was a felony offense by the driver of that car. Driving over 10 mph is inherent proof the driver wanted to kill people. Anyone who drives over 10 mph is committing the act of felony reckless endangerment and attempted murder. Everyone knows this. You do, don't you?

"The man who Groshong allegedly hit ran away and was arrested shortly after. Initial reports incorrectly stated the man's vandalism charges were dropped by the DA's office, but no charging decisions have been made."

Why were the police even there? Theft is not a crime in Portland. Everyone and certainly ever police officer should know that by now. Because he didn't also set the business on fire, that free-stuff shopper had failed to fully exercise his legal rights in Portland.

Charges were dropped because theft is not a crime in Portland. The DA has made that 100% clear over and over again.

The driver was a retired cop and doing an undercover stint for the protest. So it wouldn't readily apparent that he was a police officer, or that if he had even identified himself as being one, or what kind of authority he would have being retired. That guy wasn't the one that broke the window either.
Ok. And?

This is it right here. Overcharging is a disgrace. It has little to do with justice and more to do with collecting scalps. You want real justice reform, make this overcharging BS a thing of the past.
Lets hold the 13% that commit 65% of all crime and 53% of all murders accountable instead of coddling these criminals.

Lets hold the 13% that commit 65% of all crime and 53% of all murders accountable instead of coddling these criminals.

Of course they should be held accountable, but overcharging people just to ensure that pound of flesh is making a mockery out of the justice system. Charge them, take them to trial, and let the justice system sort it out. Stacking the deck by charging a person with everything you possibly can, even if you have to bend the law to do it, is not the just way to handle it.

The man couldn't be both.

Either he is retired, which means he no longer works for the police department, or he was working undercover.

Which was it in this case?

Video - Incident at 0:20

I'm mixed on this. The vehicle hit was pretty significant - more than a glancing blow. However, I'm not sure it warrants charges, especially given that it was a pursuit of a suspect who just committed a crime and was fleeing police, and he wasn't severely injured.

The charges are clearly political and overkill. The multiple charges don't make sense. I'm not clear on how he would have rendered aid given that the person hit jumped up and ran away. It's also strange that they didn't press charges against the suspect with such clear evidence.

Did you miss the word retired or are you just ignoring the fact he is no longer a cop? If I saw someone robbing my neighbor's house and I followed them and rammed them with my car do you think I would be charged with a crime?

Either he is retired, which means he no longer works for the police department, or he was working undercover.

My understanding is that he worked for the police department at the time of the incident, but has since retired.

Technically, it is possible, based on quirks of different contracts. In my city, a police officer can retire with full benefits after 20 years, then defer the retirement. This actually gives them a bump in pay because some of the benefits are paid from the retirement package. Some departments also allow people to retire and enter a 'reserve' status where they can work part time - and take all the 'side gigs' they want.

Did you miss the word retired or are you just ignoring the fact he is no longer a cop? If I saw someone robbing my neighbor's house and I followed them and rammed them with my car do you think I would be charged with a crime?

Probably best not to try to make comments like this - you often make yourself look silly.

From the article
Scott Groshong, who retired in August 2020, was indicted earlier this week ...

... Groshong drove up to a skate shop at Northwest 9th Avenue and Davis Street just before midnight on June 15 and recorded two men stealing three skateboards. A short time later, according to the report, another man walked up to the store and stole a helmet.

The incident was in June. He retired in August.

It is SOP to overcharge to make it more likely the defendant will plea to a lesser charge and not have to go to trial.

I am not saying that is right, and of course it is not, but they do it all the time.

Overcharging does happen, but this is a bit extreme. The officer will be able to get most of this tossed based on probable cause.

This is just more strangeness from the Portland DA. She's already complained that they are 'overworked' due to recent events, and has tossed hundreds of cases, many against violent offenders. To come down on a police officer (now retired) for trying to stop a looter is crazy.

Interchanging retired police officer and police officer is a fundamental problem here.

That likely depends on the state law defining what level of force can be used while attempting a citizens arrest.

Groshong was released on his own recognizance later that evening.

According to the Oregonian report, Groshong drove up to a skate shop at Northwest 9th Avenue and Davis Street just before midnight on June 15 and recorded two men stealing three skateboards. A short time later, according to the report, another man walked up to the store and stole a helmet.

A video of the incident obtained by the Oregonian shows a large black SUV speeding up 9th Avenue and hitting the man who stole the helmet. Groshong and another sergeant were inside that car.

From the link. I would imagine that people who mean what they say when they talk about loving "freedoms" and putting "freedoms" over safety would agree that government agents should not hit people who commit petty property crimes with cars.

Then again, being black in the vicinity of a police officer can be cause to shoot in this country, so...

🤷
They usually mean freedom for the well off and powerful. Cops really misunderstood the punisher character when they glorify the guy as Frank Castle was never meant to be a hero, but a broken man who never passed the antihero archetype.

And yet that is what the article states. Both. That's probably why there are some messy legal issues here. Daryl Turner, President of the Portland Police Association, had this to say about it; " Turner said Groshong was working undercover that evening to identify criminal behavior among protest-goers." I don't know for sure, but what I take from his description of Goshong's undercover role is that Goshong was acting more or less as a civilian informant, whose job it was to observe and report criminal activity among the protesters and not attempt to directly stop or intervene in whatever criminal activity he may observe.

Last edited:
Overcharging does happen, but this is a bit extreme. The officer will be able to get most of this tossed based on probable cause.

This is just more strangeness from the Portland DA. She's already complained that they are 'overworked' due to recent events, and has tossed hundreds of cases, many against violent offenders. To come down on a police officer (now retired) for trying to stop a looter is crazy.

I don't see this as extreme.

A friend of mine once bought an almost new car from a private seller using a cashiers check. The check turned out to be fake.

Since the car was turned over to my friend in an apartment building garage, the police charged him with burglary of a residence and gave him a 1 million dollar bail.

That is extreme over charging.

Interchanging retired police officer and police officer is a fundamental problem here.
It's not really that complicated. It's in the article, and has been repeated in the thread. He was working when the incident happened (July) and retired later (August). So when the article is discussing him (October) it refers to him as retired, which he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom