• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police officer charged with 9 counts after allegedly hitting theft suspect with his car

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PORTLAND, Ore. — A retired Portland police officer has been indicted on 9 counts, including two felony charges, by a grand jury in Multnomah County, the Oregonian/OregonLive first reported late Wednesday.
Scott Groshong, who retired in August 2020, was indicted earlier this week and booked into Multnomah County Jail Thursday night on 9 counts:
  • Two counts of failure to perform duties of a driver to injured person (felony)
  • One count of third-degree assault (felony)
  • Six counts of official misconduct (misdemeanors)

According to the Oregonian report, Groshong drove up to a skate shop at Northwest 9th Avenue and Davis Street just before midnight on June 15 and recorded two men stealing three skateboards. A short time later, according to the report, another man walked up to the store and stole a helmet.
A video of the incident obtained by the Oregonian shows a large black SUV speeding up 9th Avenue and hitting the man who stole the helmet. Groshong and another sergeant were inside that car.
The man who Groshong allegedly hit ran away and was arrested shortly after. Initial reports incorrectly stated the man's vandalism charges were dropped by the DA's office, but no charging decisions have been made.

Video - Incident at 0:20

I'm mixed on this. The vehicle hit was pretty significant - more than a glancing blow. However, I'm not sure it warrants charges, especially given that it was a pursuit of a suspect who just committed a crime and was fleeing police, and he wasn't severely injured.

The charges are clearly political and overkill. The multiple charges don't make sense. I'm not clear on how he would have rendered aid given that the person hit jumped up and ran away. It's also strange that they didn't press charges against the suspect with such clear evidence.

Groshong was released on his own recognizance later that evening.

According to the Oregonian report, Groshong drove up to a skate shop at Northwest 9th Avenue and Davis Street just before midnight on June 15 and recorded two men stealing three skateboards. A short time later, according to the report, another man walked up to the store and stole a helmet.

A video of the incident obtained by the Oregonian shows a large black SUV speeding up 9th Avenue and hitting the man who stole the helmet. Groshong and another sergeant were inside that car.

From the link. I would imagine that people who mean what they say when they talk about loving "freedoms" and putting "freedoms" over safety would agree that government agents should not hit people who commit petty property crimes with cars.

Then again, being black in the vicinity of a police officer can be cause to shoot in this country, so...

🤷

I would imagine that people who mean what they say when they talk about loving "freedoms" and putting "freedoms" over safety would agree that government agents should not hit people who commit petty property crimes with cars.

So what level of enforcement do you think would be appropriate in such instances?

Or do you disagree with those people who "talk about loving 'freedoms' and putting 'freedoms' over safety"?

So what level of enforcement do you think would be appropriate in such instances?

Or do you disagree with those people who "talk about loving 'freedoms' and putting 'freedoms' over safety"?

The police should not be running people over with cars. Sorry that's a difficult concept.

You cannot use what is considered deadly force for someone running away. What they did is criminal. They can get out of the car and chase him and arrest him.

I'm mixed on this. The vehicle hit was pretty significant - more than a glancing blow. However, I'm not sure it warrants charges, especially given that it was a pursuit of a suspect who just committed a crime and was fleeing police, and he wasn't severely injured.

The charges are clearly political and overkill. The multiple charges don't make sense. I'm not clear on how he would have rendered aid given that the person hit jumped up and ran away. It's also strange that they didn't press charges against the suspect with such clear evidence.

I don't think the charges are overkill at all.

When a private citizen runs over somebody, they have to face charges.

Reactions: PoS
You cannot use what is considered deadly force for someone running away. What they did is criminal. They can get out of the car and chase him and arrest him.

Indeed.

Tennessee v. Gardner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985) (no deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others"). Though the context there is a suit under 42 U.S.C s. 1983 (a "1983 suit") for violation of 4th Amd rights. A kid stole 10 from a house. Climbed a fence despite being told to stop, so the cop killed him.

Graham v. Connor, 490 U.S. 386 (1989) added gloss I'm too lazy to describe.

Groshong was released on his own recognizance later that evening.

From the link. I would imagine that people who mean what they say when they talk about loving "freedoms" and putting "freedoms" over safety would agree that government agents should not hit people who commit petty property crimes with cars.

Then again, being black in the vicinity of a police officer can be cause to shoot in this country, so...

🤷
Again proving the two-tiered crimminal justice system.

The police should not be running people over with cars. Sorry that's a difficult concept.
Yeah, he forgot he's no longer a cop. Regardless that cops should not betaking these actions in these instances - though we know they do.

First of all, no one got "run over". There is no need to exaggerate the incident. The man who was hit was able to continure running away at speed.

Second, and very much on the other hand, intent is important here. If the cop intended to hit the guy (and it looks like it), then it would be fair to charge him with using excessive force. As it happened, the collision appeared not too serious, but there is no way of knowing that you won't kill someone when you hit them with a car. A fatal head injury is not unlikely even when someone is hit at a fairly low speed. Deadly force is not justified just because someone is running away.

Finally, the cop was charged, which is entirely appropriate. This doesn't prove anything about a "two-tiered system". It is the expected outcome in a society of laws.

Indeed.

Tennessee v. Gardner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985) (no deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others"). Though the context there is a suit under 42 U.S.C s. 1983 (a "1983 suit") for violation of 4th Amd rights. A kid stole 10 from a house. Climbed a fence despite being told to stop, so the cop killed him.

Graham v. Connor, 490 U.S. 386 (1989) added gloss I'm too lazy to describe.
I had the unfortunate position of being eye witness to a sting operation that went bad in Colorado Springs. I was recovering from cancer surgery and went downstairs to watch my niece and nephew play. I was sitting in my brother in law's truck, because I still wasn't very strong and there were no benches around. I saw a group of guys on the far side of the parking lot and they were wearing flannel shirts and it looked like something wasn't right. I called the kids and we got inside the truck. As we were crawling in the truck, the first shots rang out. What left me in disbelief, was after it was all over, this was over an $800 stolen truck. A police officer was dead, an innocent bystander shot twice in the back and left paralyzed and the thief of the $800 truck also dead and another officer shot. No one knew they were police, I am not even sure that the thief knew they were cops...and this happened on an afternoon with people outside everywhere. It is amazing more people were not hurt.

I don't think the charges are overkill at all.

When a private citizen runs over somebody, they have to face charges.
9 counts? Including failure to render aid - when the person hit ran away?

That doesn't answer my question and is likely not even a belief you hold.

Please, try again.

That doesn't answer my question and is likely not even a belief you hold.

Please, try again.
How about answering your own question. Do you think the level of enforcement was appropriate in this case? If this person had been still active in law enforcement. Because as a civilian it not being appropriate would be beyond question.

Once you're not reading correctly. The suspect was arrested. The final charging decisions haven't been made yet. They're still pending.

How about answering your own question. Do you think the level of enforcement was appropriate in this case?

I don't know. That's a standard for the legislature to set and the courts to uphold. It would seem in this case, they don't think it was.

And when they catch him and he fights, then reaches for the cops gun, then gets shot, Then the whiners come running saying he is a victim of police brutality. When reality says he was comimiting a felony, endangered law enforcement and paid for such stupidity.

Sounds like they should get a medal.

Once you're not reading correctly. The suspect was arrested. The final charging decisions haven't been made yet. They're still pending.
?? If they haven't made the 'final charging decisions' they haven't charged him.

Will have to see how this plays out in court. My guess many of the charges will be dropped.
Could it be that using a vehicle like that could be considered deadly force?

Seems to be an over reaction to what was occurring. A jury will decide.

9 counts? Including failure to render aid - when the person hit ran away?

It is SOP to overcharge to make it more likely the defendant will plea to a lesser charge and not have to go to trial.

I am not saying that is right, and of course it is not, but they do it all the time.

And when they catch him and he fights, then reaches for the cops gun, then gets shot, Then the whiners come running saying he is a victim of police brutality. When reality says he was comimiting a felony, endangered law enforcement and paid for such stupidity.
He wasn't reaching for the gun, he was running away. There was no lethal threat to police, when he is fleeing. They can chase him and use non lethal means to bring him down.

It is SOP to overcharge to make it more likely the defendant will plea to a lesser charge and not have to go to trial.

I am not saying that is right, and of course it is not, but they do it all the time.

This is it right here. Overcharging is a disgrace. It has little to do with justice and more to do with collecting scalps. You want real justice reform, make this overcharging BS a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom