• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pathological Altruism

That's nice, but that's irrelevant as it relates to my original comment.

would you like me to requote your original point,something about libertarians never providing evidence,and something about probably because it doesnt exist.

oh wait im sorry but a partially privatised system can very well be evidence towards a fully privatised education system.

When people claim that they are acting out of altruism but it may reasonably be foreseen that their actions will hurt rather than help then their altruism is pathological.

Pathological altruism is central to understanding the motivations of the liberal left.

Liberals will often advocate programs on altruistic grounds without even seeming to care whether the programs will do any good or not. The only really important thing about the programs for liberals is that it gives them the sense of moral superiority they crave, and warnings about possible negative consequences are scorned. So such programs often turn out to represent pathological altruism.

Best of the Web Today: Pathological Altruism - WSJ.com

So you find an editorial from a guy who misrepresents liberals and then argues against that misrepresentation, and you think it means something, other than that you are pretty gullible?

I find this to be very true. The left generally has nothing but the best intentions, they just fail to operate in reality and refuse to contemplate the unintended consequences of their ambitious ideas.

Libertarian...complaining that others do not operate in reality....

Oh ****, can't stop laughing...

Tears rolling down my face from the laughter...

Oh well done! Hilarious parody!

Now get back to me when the real world actually endorses libertarian philosophy.

would you like me to requote your original point,something about libertarians never providing evidence,and something about probably because it doesnt exist.

oh wait im sorry but a partially privatised system can very well be evidence towards a fully privatised education system.
Quote what you want if you need it. I'm quite aware of what I wrote so it won't be necessary for me.

The success of private schools in a primarily public system is not evidence that an entirely privatized system would work. We have different definitions of evidence.

Quote what you want if you need it. I'm quite aware of what I wrote so it won't be necessary for me.

The success of private schools in a primarily public system is not evidence that an entirely privatized system would work. We have different definitions of evidence.

but then since there has been no purely private system in existence in any modern country,using a pure private system as an example is impossible,so your essentually saying it shouldnt be tried because its never been tried.

an ultimately failed argument in and of itself,that intentionally sets the goals to impossible limits knowing they cant be met,while the same denying any and all evidence something could work.

but then since there has been no purely private system in existence in any modern country,using a pure private system as an example is impossible,so your essentually saying it shouldnt be tried because its never been tried.

an ultimately failed argument in and of itself,that intentionally sets the goals to impossible limits knowing they cant be met,while the same denying any and all evidence something could work.
No, that is not what I am saying. I'm saying that successful private schools in a mostly public (foreign) system are not evidence that an entirely privatized system would work in the United States.

No, that is not what I am saying. I'm saying that successful private schools in a mostly public (foreign) system are not evidence that an entirely privatized system would work in the United States.

well then the only evidence you would accept is evidence that doesnt exist from a system that wasnt tried.

well then the only evidence you would accept is evidence that doesnt exist from a system that wasnt tried.
No, I would accept evidence that an entirely privatized system would solve the inequity problems in the public school system. This would mean evidence that demonstrates private schools provide some inherent trait or traits that counter inequity that public schools do not or cannot have. This would mean evidence that the success of private schools is not influenced by the presence of public schools. And so on.

Back
Top Bottom