• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Parents-upset-after-middle-school-girls forced Into 'Lesbian Kiss'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Information regarding that has already been posted. Whether you consider that "proof" is up to you, but you should keep in mind that you don't have "proof" that this happened in the first place. Just the word of a clearly-biased "news" source.

Hell, even following through this article's own links makes it back off immediately. The article in the OP says "forced into lesbian kiss." The first link in the article has another article saying the girls were told to ask for a kiss. (because it was an exercise on saying no) The reason it was two girls instead of a boy and a girl is that in 2013 apparently we are still separating girls and boys for sex ed. Oh, and homosexuals exist. Deal with it.

Haven't seen what you are referring to. And I am not referencing that the OP is outrageous, I'm referencing the claims of the article itself.

Haven't seen what you are referring to. And I am not referencing that the OP is outrageous, I'm referencing the claims of the article itself.

From Rathi, post 9:
This is manufactured garbage by Fox.

http://www.redhookcentralschools.org...20Reporter.pdf
http://www.redhookcentralschools.org...nt Facts.pdf

The point was to teach girls how to say no to sex and not to bully others over sexual orientation. The girls were asked to put themselves in the shoes of lesbians as an exercise in empathy, they were never forced or even requested to kiss anyone.

You do have a point:

Aside from the lies, the article is true

I have a problem with sex education by the schools in general. That being said, I did not see the school denying the role-play portions of the excercise.

I still see issues with asking preteens to engage in homosexually related activity...or heterosexually related activity, for that matter.

Who's directing this, Roman Polansky?

It would seem the purpose of the actual exercise was to have them roleplay turning someone down. I don't know how effective such an exercise would be, but that doesn't sound very sexual to me. There was no kiss, and there was no sexual activity.

It would seem the purpose of the actual exercise was to have them roleplay turning someone down. I don't know how effective such an exercise would be, but that doesn't sound very sexual to me. There was no kiss, and there was no sexual activity.

As long as there really was no kissing or forcing of such, I'm not too bothered by it.

Some sources just suck.

One would think the Christian Post would know better than to break the 9th Commandment-"Thou shalt no bear false witness".

I have a problem with sex education by the schools in general. That being said, I did not see the school denying the role-play portions of the excercise.

yes, they role played turning someone down. You are really desperate for this to somehow be true, and it simply is an outright lie.

One would think the Christian Post would know better than to break the 9th Commandment-"Thou shalt no bear false witness".

There is an asterisk by that commandment which says unless you are badmouthing homosexuals and then lie like donald trump's hairpiece, badly and obviously.

yes, they role played turning someone down. You are really desperate for this to somehow be true, and it simply is an outright lie.

That wasn't what their paper said, they also educated on homosexuals.

That wasn't what their paper said, they also educated on homosexuals.

True. They did teach kids not to bully each other because of sexual orientation. Are you really going to take offense to that?

Yea, media attention due to people misreporting what actually happened. It's easily done. Say that in reality they made the girls hold hands and playing around they blew kisses at each other, later on kids started calling the kids lesbians, so they complain to there parents that the school made them do it and that there getting picked on. I have no idea if that could be the case, I'm just saying that 9 times out of ten when I hear something like this and it's so hard for me to believe that it usually turns out that something was blown out of proportion. If it happened just as described in the source, then I'm all for being outraged and if the school superintendent isn't outraged he should be fired. But I just have a hard time believing it.

You don't seem to get it, even what you describe is outrageous, wrong and just plain stupid to the extreme. You don't single kids out like that for a demonstation related to sexuality, especially middle school children. Not to mention, they're outright telling kids it's okay to engage in sexual behavior at that age. That's not only wrong, but illegal.

And to do all this without parental consent?

You know, this could all be solved if they just provided video evidence of two 12-year-old girls kissing each other.

http://www.redhookcentralschools.or.../Email Communication to Fox News Reporter.pdf
http://www.redhookcentralschools.org/cms/lib04/NY01000233/Centricity/Domain/1/Important Facts.pdf

The point was to teach girls how to say no to sex and not to bully others over sexual orientation. The girls were asked to put themselves in the shoes of lesbians as an exercise in empathy, they were never forced or even requested to kiss anyone.

Accountable for what?

Don't tell me you believe the lies reported by the Christian Post

Here's the school's response as shown in Rathi's link:

Email Communication to Fox News Reporter on Monday, April 22, 2013

Good afternoon Mr. Starnes:

Having just read your article, Middle School Anti-Bullying Lesson Includes Lesbian Role Play, I feel obligated to clarify the record for your readers. I am hopeful you will update your article with some of these facts.

These sessions were designed by the building leadership in an effort to have eighth graders treat each other with respect and to develop in our young adolescents an appreciation for personal dignity. To suggest that we would condone or promote sexual activity among teenagers is absurd. It is equally absurd to suggest that an activity, designed to have young women feel more confident saying no to
unwanted advances from boys, is in some way promoting a lesbian lifestyle. It is my understanding that the role playing activity is part of a program supported by conservatives such as Laura Bush.

The definitions given to students, while overly granular in my opinion, were put forth to make sure that students understand that all gender identities and/or sexual orientations are protected in law in New York State as part of an effort to curb harassment, discrimination, and bullying. It is our intent to adjust this document and be less granular in future lessons.

Please also know that the two college students who helped facilitate these sessions were guided and supervised by the principal and guidance counselors. They were not acting without direction. And, there is no evidence to suggest that they were inappropriately interacting with the students. Reports indicate the opposite is true. I have read both their written accounts of the sessions and written feedback from students. It was all very positive.

We acknowledge that better communication from the building leadership is necessary for future sessions of this nature. We pride ourselves in Red Hook on working with parents to do what is in the best interest of all the students. Having attended the parent information session last week, I can speak with absolute certainty that the parents present at the meeting appreciated the District's intent and left knowing that the middle school principal will adjust for any implementation weaknesses moving into the future.

Again, I hope you will update your article to more accurately reflect what actually occurred. Thank you.

Paul Finch, Superintendent of Schools

Here's what the OP said:

A middle school in New York has been managing complaints from angry parents after their daughters complained that they were forced to ask each other for kisses and pretend to be lovers during an anti-bullying presentation on homosexuality and gender identity.
A recent report noted that the controversial session which parents were not informed about, took place at Linden Avenue Middle School in Red Hook, N.Y., just outside of Poughkeepsie. The presentation was conducted by a team of students from Bard College. According to the report, the 13- and 14-year-old girls were introduced to terms like "pansexual" and "genderqueer" during the session where they were instructed to ask each other for kisses.

"She told me, 'Mom, we all get teased and picked on enough; now I'm going to be called a lesbian because I had to ask another girl if I could kiss her,'" concerned parent Mandy Coon, told reporters about her daughter's complaint. "They also picked two girls to stand in front of the class and pretend they were lesbians on a date."

Read more at Parents Upset After Middle School Girls Forced Into 'Lesbian Kiss' at NY School

I see absolutely nothing in the letter from the school contradicting what these girls said happened. If I want my 13-14 year-old girl to learn about lesbians and words like "genderqueer"? You'd better believe the school should be asking my permission.

Know how they taught us about bullying when I was in grade school? They showed a movie called, "The Little Green Boy" (or some-such name).

Schools have absolutely no business introducing children to sex in this manner. They were wrong. I don't blame parents for being outraged.

Here's the school's response as shown in Rathi's link:

Here's what the OP said:

I see absolutely nothing in the letter from the school contradicting what these girls said happened. If I want my 13-14 year-old girl to learn about lesbians and words like "genderqueer"? You'd better believe the school should be asking my permission.

OMG!! They're learning *words*!!

And without their parents permission! :shock:

Know how they taught us about bullying when I was in grade school? They showed a movie called, "The Little Green Boy" (or some-such name).

Schools have absolutely no business introducing children to sex in this manner. They were wrong. I don't blame parents for being outraged.

For one thing, they children weren't "introduced to sex". For another, there was nothing wrong with "the manner" in which this was done. Finally, as a whole, the parents are very supportive of the event.

http://www.redhookcentralschools.or.../Email Communication to Fox News Reporter.pdf
http://www.redhookcentralschools.org/cms/lib04/NY01000233/Centricity/Domain/1/Important Facts.pdf

Why is schools teaching children empathy of sexual orientation and why are they putting kids in other orientations shoes?? What does any of that have to do with the purpose of school? We should just start calling teachers by their real name, parents. Otherwise, the word teacher feels weird when they are acting like parents.

That would be true, if it weren't a lie

Hmmm, haven't seen anything posted showing this didn't happen:

The workshop which divided the students by sex, also made a presentation to boys at the middle school who were advised to carry a condom in their pocket at all times and given tips on how to identify a "slut."

Read more at Parents Upset After Middle School Girls Forced Into 'Lesbian Kiss' at NY School

Perhaps you could fill me in as to why you believe it's all a lie, particularly the above quoted section.

For one thing, they children weren't "introduced to sex". For another, there was nothing wrong with "the manner" in which this was done. Finally, as a whole, the parents are very supportive of the event.

The school has no freaking business teaching MY kids the meaning of genderqueer, **** ***, ****** *** * ****, *******. Legitimizing these words isn't the school's job.

Their job? To teach my kid to read. How 'bout we start there?

Apparently, many parents weren't supportive. That is the whole point. I know dozens of moms who wouldn't support that **** for a moment. There are many legitimate ways to teach kids about bullying and that making fun of people who are different is wrong. This one is out of line, IMO.

You know, this could all be solved if they just provided video evidence of two 12-year-old girls kissing each other.

The way your Avatar is grinning, I'll take this as sarcasm. :rofl

Wait!!! No!!! "Wishful thinking"

The teacher should be fired and denied any right to work in a educational facility ever again. Honestly...

either he is a moron or a pervert.

And without their parents permission! :shock:

Yes, words that have a sexual meaning. Are they teaching "****buddies" or "ass to mouth" now too?

And you know this how? Considering parents weren't informed of this event or it's contents until the kids spoke up afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom