• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our human ancestors often ate each other, and for surprising reasons

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Fossil evidence shows that humans have been practising cannibalism for a million years. Now, archaeologists are discovering that some of the time they did it to honour their dead

IN GOUGH’S cave in Cheddar Gorge, south-west England, archaeologists have found the remains of at least six individuals. Many of the bones were intentionally broken and the fragments are covered in cut marks, the result of people using stone tools to separate them and remove the flesh. What’s more, 42 per cent of the bone fragments bear human teeth marks. There is little doubt: the people who lived in this cave 14,700 years ago practised cannibalism.

Today, cannibalism is a taboo subject in many societies. We see it as aberrant, as is clear in films such as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. We associate it with zombies, psychopaths and serial killers like the fictional Hannibal Lecter. Positive stories of cannibals are few and far between. But perhaps it is time for a rethink because, despite our preconceptions, evidence is accumulating that cannibalism was a common human behaviour.

Our ancestors have been eating each other for a million years or more. In fact, it seems that, down the ages, around a fifth of societies have practised cannibalism. While some of this people-eating may have been done simply to survive, in many cases, the reasons look more complex. In places like Gough’s cave, for example, consuming the bodies of the dead seems to have been part of a funerary ritual. Far from a monstrous affront to nature, cannibalism may be a way of showing respect and love for the dead, say some archaeologists.
================================================================
I wonder if tooth picks were invented around this time.

Gross, but hardly surprising. Some hunters do similar things with their first kills sometimes.

The symbolism is pretty clear. By consuming them you make them part of yourself, or carry them with you, or gain their power.

Wasnt THAT long ago that cannibalism was practiced on this continent by the indigenous peoples.

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

This is what you call a "Don't **** with me culture."
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/n...nibalism-widespread-but-ignored-academic-says
The widespread practice of cannibalism among maori was not a food issue but people were eaten often as part of a post-battle rage. Enemies were often captured and killed later to be eaten or killed because of a minor transgression.
Part of the practice was also to send a warning to other tribes.
"One of the arguments is really if you want to punish your enemy killing them is not enough. If you can chop them up and eat them and turn them into excrement that is the greatest humiliation you can impose on them.''

Fossil evidence shows that humans have been practising cannibalism for a million years. Now, archaeologists are discovering that some of the time they did it to honour their dead

IN GOUGH’S cave in Cheddar Gorge, south-west England, archaeologists have found the remains of at least six individuals. Many of the bones were intentionally broken and the fragments are covered in cut marks, the result of people using stone tools to separate them and remove the flesh. What’s more, 42 per cent of the bone fragments bear human teeth marks. There is little doubt: the people who lived in this cave 14,700 years ago practised cannibalism.

Today, cannibalism is a taboo subject in many societies. We see it as aberrant, as is clear in films such as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. We associate it with zombies, psychopaths and serial killers like the fictional Hannibal Lecter. Positive stories of cannibals are few and far between. But perhaps it is time for a rethink because, despite our preconceptions, evidence is accumulating that cannibalism was a common human behaviour.

Our ancestors have been eating each other for a million years or more. In fact, it seems that, down the ages, around a fifth of societies have practised cannibalism. While some of this people-eating may have been done simply to survive, in many cases, the reasons look more complex. In places like Gough’s cave, for example, consuming the bodies of the dead seems to have been part of a funerary ritual. Far from a monstrous affront to nature, cannibalism may be a way of showing respect and love for the dead, say some archaeologists.
They were probably banging close relatives too, doesn't mean we need a rethink on whether incest got a bum rap. ;)

Trumptards will be eating their own come this November 6th is what I'd wager.

Actually, I think we've observed that in modern times. Some islanders ate their dead and got brain disease from it. Can't remember the details, but googleable. Indonesia area, I think.

Cheddar Man, who lived about 10,000 years ago, was found close to the entrance to Gough's Cave.
The DNA analysis ruled out an ancestral link with individuals inhabiting Gough’s Cave 5,000 years earlier, who appear to have performed grisly cannibalistic rituals. Cheddar Man's Y-DNA belonged to I2a2 that is typical in northern Europe. The cannibals who lived in the same cave 5,000 years earlier may have carried Y-haplogroup C1a2, which was a dominant lineage in Paleolithic Europeans. It sister branch C1a1 is found exclusively in Japan at 5%

Hmm… never let a crisis corpse go to waste. ;)

Doubt if anyone would eat Trump. I mean, talk about a walking heart attack. :( :(

Don't kid yourself, there are many right here on this board that would enthusiastically line up to eat trumps ass. Thats a fact.

Huge problem with cannibalism is thats the easiest way to get a prion disease. Prion diseases are ****ing terrifying. Thats why cannibal societies have higher risk of those diseases. It really is not a beneficial practice if you think about it. Not to mention we are not specifically a carnivorous species so relying on cannibalism isnt even that healthy.

Kuru disease is a killer.

Last edited:
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Anyone want to tell the goat herders how our stomachs are not made for digesting blood? :D

Huge problem with cannibalism is thats the easiest way to get a prion disease. Prion diseases are ****ing terrifying. Thats why cannibal societies have higher risk of those diseases. It really is not a beneficial practice if you think about it. Not to mention we are not specifically a carnivorous species so relying on cannibalism isnt even that healthy.

Kuru disease is a killer.

We are specifically an omnivorous species descended from about 200,000 years of hunter-gatherers.

We are specifically an omnivorous species descended from about 200,000 years of hunter-gatherers.
We were opportunistic diners. Stuff we would today recognize as food - Berries and fruit. But also bark, roots, insects and critters.

If I am not mistaken this is one highly select find that has been reported for about five decades now.

It's been a few decades, but as I recall the find is heavy on skull scraping marks and some indication of quasi-religious religeous rights. It's been years but as I recall cannabalism is very rare in history

This is part of what we call 'culture' and we've probably had rituals like this since the dawn of homo sapiens, and maybe before then.

Commas are important.

Let's eat Grandma.
Vs
Let's eat, Grandma.
Gough's Cave. Gough is my wife's maiden name.

Back
Top Bottom