• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Origin of the Tree of Life

Lucidthots said:
Of course not......Buddha was not a murderous thug....why would you be interested?
Okay, so you agree there is nothing wrong with arming your self?

Where in the TaNaKh do you think the Israelites were unjust in killing?

You brought Buddah up, not me.

Binyamin said:
It was bad-mannered for her to offer her hand to me.

Wow, that is a sick way of looking at things.

You see, when you are with your people you have certain customs and that is the way you do things and that is fine.

However, it is polite to show courtesy to the customs of the people whose society you dwell in......it is a simple matter of courtesy.

Lucidthots said:
Wow, that is rude.

Here in civilization we have this thing called "manners."

Which is more rude, not shaking a woman's hand, or going around door-to-door and telling people that their beliefs are wrong?

Binyamin said:
Okay, so you agree there is nothing wrong with arming your self?

Where in the TaNaKh do you think the Israelites were unjust in killing?

You brought Buddah up, not me.

I think the Torah is equivalent to the rantings of Charles Manson.

It has nothing to do with religion.

Lucidthots said:
Wow, that is a sick way of looking at things.

You see, when you are with your people you have certain customs and that is the way you do things and that is fine.
Okay.

Lucidthots said:
However, it is polite to show courtesy to the customs of the people whose society you dwell in......it is a simple matter of courtesy.
She came onto my property telling me my beliefs were wrong, and I'm the rude one?

Lucidthots said:
Of course not......Buddha was not a murderous thug....why would you be interested?

"Buddha" is a title, meaning, essentially, one who is enlightened.

The Indian mystic who was the founder of Buddhism was Siddhartha Gautama.

At least Binyamin had the honesty to admit that he is unfamiliar with Buddha.

You seem to claim some level of expertise, yet exhibit ignorance...

MrFungus420 said:
Which is more rude, not shaking a woman's hand, or going around door-to-door and telling people that their beliefs are wrong?

I like talking to religious people about their beliefs, even when I do not agree, I always try to be courteous to people and know something about their customs so that I may show respect to them......."like bowing when entering the home of an Oriental person."

I like people and try to make them feel comfortable around me.

Lucidthots said:
I think the Torah is equivalent to the rantings of Charles Manson.

It has nothing to do with religion.
Good for you? I take it you've given up trying to prove anything. Any reason you didn't answer my questions?

MrFungus420 said:
"Buddha" is a title, meaning, essentially, one who is enlightened.

The Indian mystic who was the founder of Buddhism was Siddhartha Gautama.

At least Binyamin had the honesty to admit that he is unfamiliar with Buddha.

You seem to claim some level of expertise, yet exhibit ignorance...

I know who Siddharta was.

I also know what the Maitreya legend is.

So did the early Christians apparently.

Lucidthots said:
I like talking to religious people about their beliefs, even when I do not agree, I always try to be courteous to people and know something about their customs so that I may show respect to them......."like bowing when entering the home of an Oriental person."

And obviously she was ignorant of the Rabbinic laws that clearly forbid me from touching a female who isn't my wife, sisters, or immediate family.

Binyamin said:
Good for you? I take it you've given up trying to prove anything. Any reason you didn't answer my questions?

Because everything you said was gibberish........you follow a book which tells you to exterminate people. etc etc.

Lucidthots said:
Because everything you said was gibberish........you follow a book which tells you to exterminate people. etc etc.
Fifth time, where does it say to exterminate people unjustly?

Binyamin said:
And obviously she was ignorant of the Rabbinic laws that clearly forbid me from touching a female who isn't my wife, sisters, or immediate family.

Well you dont have to be a prick about it.

Did you tell her why or did you just act like a jerk?

Binyamin said:
Fifth time, where does it say to exterminate people unjustly?

You know of a "Justification" for genocide?

So did Hitler!

Last edited:
Lucidthots said:
Well you dont have to be a prick about it.

Did you tell her why or did you just act like a jerk?
The conversation went something like this (I was 17 at the time so I don't remember the exact details)

They knocked on my door on the Sabbath (which they were ignorant of) I opened the door, greeted them, shook hands with the man who introduced himself, then the woman introduced herself and stuck out her hand. I told her that Jews don't touch members of the opposite sex except when it comes to family and wife. She looked shocked and asked if we had a restroom she could use, the man and i chatted for 3-4 minutes she came out and they left. An hour later I found out she turned off the light, which I wanted to curse her for since I couldn't turn it back on Shabbas.

So from my point of view, she was nothing but ignorant of my beliefs, the difference being they had the audacity to come to my place and tell me I was wrong..

Binyamin said:
The conversation went something like this (I was 17 at the time so I don't remember the exact details)

They knocked on my door on the Sabbath (which they were ignorant of) I opened the door, greeted them, shook hands with the man who introduced himself, then the woman introduced herself and stuck out her hand. I told her that Jews don't touch members of the opposite sex except when it comes to family and wife. She looked shocked and asked if we had a restroom she could use, the man and i chatted for 3-4 minutes she came out and they left. An hour later I found out she turned off the light, which I wanted to curse her for since I couldn't turn it back on Shabbas.

So from my point of view, she was nothing but ignorant of my beliefs, the difference being they had the audacity to come to my place and tell me I was wrong..

Wow........you think like that about people?

That is insane!

Lucidthots said:
You know of a "Justification" for genocide?

So did Hitler!

I always try to be courteous to people
You're failing at that right now.

Sixth time: Where in the bible do you thinik Israelites unjustly killed people?

Lucidthots said:
I like talking to religious people about their beliefs, even when I do not agree,

There is a difference between talking to someone with a diferent belief, and going around telling people that their beliefs are wrong. The latter is what the Mormons, and the Jehovah's Witnesses, do. It is arrogant and rude.

Lucidthots said:
I always try to be courteous to people and know something about their customs so that I may show respect to them......."like bowing when entering the home of an Oriental person."

But, apparently not caring enough to know that "oriental" is the term that should be applied to inanimate objects, and, as such, is actually an insulting term to use for a person.

Further, by your own statement, the woman was disrespectful. After all, she went to Binyamin's house and offered her hand. Therefore, it was her fault.

Lucidthots said:

That's nice...

MrFungus420 said:
There is a difference between talking to someone with a diferent belief, and going around telling people that their beliefs are wrong. The latter is what the Mormons, and the Jehovah's Witnesses, do. It is arrogant and rude.

But, apparently not caring enough to know that "oriental" is the term that should be applied to inanimate objects, and, as such, is actually an insulting term to use for a person.

Further, by your own statement, the woman was disrespectful. After all, she went to Binyamin's house and offered her hand. Therefore, it was her fault.

That's nice...

Proseltyzation never bothered me....I always want them to come to my house.

I respect the good work they do for humanity even though I disagree with their theology.

As for Oriental........it is a fine term......just like calling me Occidental......I would find it charming.

Are you a bigot against oriental people or something?

Lucidthots said:
Wow........you think like that about people?

That is insane!

Why not? She clearly was ignorant of his beliefs. They did go to his house to try to tell him that his beliefs were wrong.

By your own argument, that was, at the least, disrespectful.

I would go further and say that sort of behaviour is rude, offensive and arrogant.

Proseltyzation and Occidental, what do they mean?

Binyamin said:
You're failing at that right now.

Sixth time: Where in the bible do you thinik Israelites unjustly killed people?

First of all I think it is a fairy tale.

Second...Christ never killed anyone in the Gospel myth, this is a good standard of behavior for people.

Real religions, like Christianity and Buddhism set a standard of behaviour which is perfection, that becomes the standard for us all to follow.

Christianity is a real religion.

Lucidthots said:
As for Oriental........it is a fine term......just like calling me Occidental......I would find it charming.

Are you a bigot against oriental people or something?

Oriental is a fine term, if you are refering to an object. It is considered somewhat insulting to use the term when refering to a person. The correct term is "Asian".

Why would you think I was a bigot? Because I don't like people to use a term that is incorrect, and also somewhat insulting?

Binyamin said:
Proseltyzation and Occidental, what do they mean?

Prosletyzation; is when a religious person goes out into the world in search of converts to their religion.

Occidental; is the western hemisphere.

Oriental "East"---Occidental "West"

Back
Top Bottom