• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"One Of Our Representatives Will Be With You Shortly"

Peacenik

We Live In Societies
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If they were honest, this is what the recording would sound like:

"We are so glad you called. We are capitalists who seek to minimize labor costs so we have very few actual living breathing people you can talk to. That means you could be on hold for a very long time. We are going to play some really sickening music to try to get you to give up holding. We know your time is valuable to you, but to us it is less than meaningless. We have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about burning your time while you wait for one of the precious few low paid people we actually do employ. If you choose to give up and try again you lose your place in the queue. We don't care. We've got your money already, so any concerns you want to address are really just a PITA to us. But we do like to pretend we are serving you, which is why there is at least this number for you to call and be on hold under the pretense of actually talking to someone. Soon, we will have a really annoying AI computerized 'representative' certain to piss you off to no end, so enjoy the idea of talking to a real live human for as long as it lasts. Really, we just want your money and would prefer to never hear from you."

The good news is that soon you will instantly be connected to an AI bot.

If they were honest, this is what the recording would sound like:

"We are so glad you called. We are capitalists who seek to minimize labor costs so we have very few actual living breathing people you can talk to. That means you could be on hold for a very long time. We are going to play some really sickening music to try to get you to give up holding. We know your time is valuable to you, but to us it is less than meaningless. We have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about burning your time while you wait for one of the precious few low paid people we actually do employ. If you choose to give up and try again you lose your place in the queue. We don't care. We've got your money already, so any concerns you want to address are really just a PITA to us. But we do like to pretend we are serving you, which is why there is at least this number for you to call and be on hold under the pretense of actually talking to someone. Soon, we will have a really annoying AI computerized 'representative' certain to piss you off to no end, so enjoy the idea of talking to a real live human for as long as it lasts. Really, we just want your money and would prefer to never hear from you."
I had to call and arrange a bulk trash picked a few weeks ago. The recording said it would be 30 minutes. Then it said something remarkable: “would you like us to call you back?”. I said yes, it confirmed my number, and half an hour later I got a call. There are ways to handle things other than make people sit on hold…

I had to call and arrange a bulk trash picked a few weeks ago. The recording said it would be 30 minutes. Then it said something remarkable: “would you like us to call you back?”. I said yes, it confirmed my number, and half an hour later I got a call. There are ways to handle things other than make people sit on hold…
That's fine if you like handing over your 4th Amendment rights and getting bothered with nuisance marketing calls and texts.

I am not in the habit of handing out my phone number to corporations. If they record it they are doing so without my permission.

I've worked for plenty of corporations. They mostly do not care about people. Profits are the concern. People don't matter to a corporation.

They say: "Your call is very important to us," but it's a lie. They would prefer to just get your money and never hear from you.

If they can gather some personal information about you along the way, that has value, so they'll do it.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated ..."

Sounds like someone had a bad day with the 'cable company'.. 😁

I get it, it's irritating. Especially the ' circular automation' which leads you right back to the start.
"Sorry, I didn't catch that. I can help with a lot of things. Just tell me in a few words..."
"REPRESENTATIVE!" (bypasses the bot and sends you to a live line)
"OK, I'll get you to someone that can help!"🎷🎻.........
This is when you just set the phone down on speaker and 'do your thing'. Maybe DP.

Yes, I've had that option, used it once or twice. Usually I'll just do whatever while I try and stay awake listening to the 'provided entertainment'.
That's fine if you like handing over your 4th Amendment rights and getting bothered with nuisance marketing calls and texts.

I am not in the habit of handing out my phone number to corporations.
So your 'cable company' and such don't have a number on file, address or whatever when you sign up with them?
What about your insurance?
You think your number isn't 'out there'?

If they record it they are doing so without my permission.

I've worked for plenty of corporations. They mostly do not care about people. Profits are the concern. People don't matter to a corporation.

They say: "Your call is very important to us," but it's a lie. They would prefer to just get your money and never hear from you.
Sounds like the majority of the world.
If they can gather some personal information about you along the way, that has value, so they'll do it.
Multi-billion dollar 'business'.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated ..."
Did Jim Carrey show up at your door and demand you keep their service else all your info obtained and property shall be seized upon discretion?

The more databases your name and number are in, the more phone calls and texts you will get.

And also, the greater the chance your personal information will be part of data stolen/lost in a hacking or cyber attack.

The idea that 'your data is already out there so it doesn't matter if you hand it our freely without discretion' is dumb, dumb, dumb.

That is precisely what the corporations want. They want you to give up, assume you are powerless, roll over and give them everything they want.

What we need are more people to stand up and say no. Maybe I don't need this. Maybe there is a perfectly good life without 'going along.'

If enough people stood up and said no to corporations they would not be able to get away with such abuse.

Because people act completely brainless and freely hand over all their information, corporations expect it.

You do not have to give up your data. Your personal information is yours. It does not belong to them.

If something cool is 'free,' maybe that sounds a little too good to be true. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Consider the downside. Consider what you are giving up. Be very wary of becoming the commodity.

Who is running your life? You or the corporations?

Back
Top Bottom