• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On same sex marriage and propriatary brand names

Equal rights is smoke and mirrors because some people, regardless of sexuality, get married for reasons other than love?

Dude, what? Why don't you elaborate on that for me. If someone were getting married just for health insurance, why would they care about the gender of their partner? And what does this have to do with equal rights?

Are you just ignoring all the gay couples who love their partners and want the government to treat that union the same as straight couples? Like, that doesn't count?

Don't be silly. There are a lot of reasons why homosexuals might want the government to let them "marry". Healthcare, partner benefits, social security, survivorship, taxes, pissing off the "evangelicals" they hate with a passion...... lots of reasons. But the one reason you can be absolutely sure they don't want to get married for is the reason we have marriage in the first place; joining together to create a family and bear children.

Don't be silly. There are a lot of reasons why homosexuals might want the government to let them "marry". Healthcare, partner benefits, social security, survivorship, taxes, pissing off the "evangelicals" they hate with a passion...... lots of reasons. But the one reason you can be absolutely sure they don't want to get married for is the reason we have marriage in the first place; joining together to create a family and bear children.

Except for when they do exactly that, you mean.

Since having children seems to be what determines who gets to marry, according to you, infertile couples or couples who don't want children should be banned from marriage, right? How long does a married couple have before the state-mandated child be conceived?

Except for when they do exactly that, you mean.

Since having children seems to be what determines who gets to marry, according to you, infertile couples or couples who don't want children should be banned from marriage, right? How long does a married couple have before the state-mandated child be conceived?

I'll repeat what you have ignored many times already. It is enough to keep marriage a man and a woman. The argument that if you fail to successfully bear children must result in marriage dissolution is silly, but it certainly IS a legal reason for divorce in many places. That is because people in many places recognize the real purpose of marriage.

Were I to start a soft drink company, I could market a product identical to Coca Cola. It could taste like it, look like it, smell like it, even have the identical chemical composition.

But, I could not call it Coca Cola. I'd have to come up with a new name, as that brand is already taken.

Now, gays want to take over the brand name enjoyed by heterosexuals: Marriage.

Gays should have the same rights as anyone else. They have every right to have civil unions with all of the rights and responsibilities, not to mention the pitfalls, of marriage.

But, why do they have to call it that? That brand is already taken.

They can have a wedding, a honeymoon, call each other husband, wife, spouse, whatever they like.

The only dispute is over one word: Marriage.

And, while the government should not be in the marriage business, the fact is that it is and isn't likely to get out of it any time soon. The government has a history of applying a new name to the same old thing, and pretending it is something new. So, why not do so in the marriage debate?

California's Proposition 8 redefined, or perhaps confirmed the definition would be a better term, of one word: Marriage. It left intact civil unions with the same rights and responsibilities as marriage. It didn't address words like weddings, spouses, husbands, or wives.

So, why not simply compromise: People who oppose gay marriage can have their brand name, but the gays get their civil unions with the same meaning as marriage. They get to have as splashy and showy a wedding as they wish to have. They can have a wedding license. They can call each other whatever they choose.
\
Seems to me a good compromise, and one that can put an end to a debate that boils down to much ado about one word.

lol marriage is owned by straights? lol right.

you didn't, and I was legel proof that straights own the marriage. Go ahead.....we are all waiting.....................

He didn't say they did, he said according to them they do. In other words, the vocal anti-SSM straights claim they own marriage.

Back
Top Bottom