• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On police shootings of blacks

The Fergeson effect is no doubt real. And it's only going to get worse for urban minorities
Are you psychic? Or are you trying to tell us you and your homies will make sure it gets worse?

Everyone is saddened by black-on-black violence, but there are no protests for that because it's not government actors doing the killing.
Unless it's white actors killing at the capitol.:rolleyes:

Agents of the government killing unarmed civilians on purpose is not acceptable, even one time. That is the apex of tyranny you're supposed to be opposed to.
I agree, mostly. Can you show that any of these killings were done on purpose?

We are told that we need to forgive cops that shoot first and ask questions later, because their jobs are so unbelievably dangerous.

And yet, statistics show that only around 30-60 cops on average are shot and killed each year. A few dozen out of all of the untold millions of interactions between police officers and the community. So then, why in so many cases is the first instinct in the minds of these officers, even when dealing with children, to open fire? To assault? To brutalize and torture?

And why are so few officers willing to speak out about the misconduct of their peers?

Because, as Trevor Noah rather eloquently put it, this isn't about a few bad apples. It's about a rotten tree.

A small number of cops are killed each year, and a small number of blacks are killed by cops each year.

Just remember one absolute fact, virtually all police shooting no matter what race follows criminal acts or criminals attacking police and resisting arrest.

Why are you comparing criminals that happen to be black on black violence with COP on black violence? You do know the cops are supposed to be the good guys and not comparable to criminals right? But you are comparing black on black, criminal on victim violence with Cop vs Black people violence. There should be ZERO Cop vs Black people violence.... Cops arent criminals... Or at least not supposed to be.

On those occasions when a criminal is a threat to the cop or to others, the cop is justified in shooting them.

How many are racially profiled? Harassed? Beaten or tortured?

Racial profiling is probably very common, but it has to be, since high crime neighborhoods are more likely to be black.

I haven't seen data on white cops beating and torturing blacks, so I don't know. I doubt it's very high, since white cops killing blacks is very low.

The whole idea that blacks are being unfairly treated by white cops is mostly a myth. Aside from the profiling, which is inevitable as long as blacks are much more likely to commit violent crimes.

Just remember one absolute fact, virtually all police shooting no matter what race follows criminal acts or criminals attacking police and resisting arrest.
Your point being that since some offense was committed or expected, whoever gets shot must have deserved it?

Another racist denial thread. Probably direct from Stormfront.

Racial profiling is probably very common, but it has to be, since high crime neighborhoods are more likely to be black.
I'll bet the FBI crime statistics would greatly strengthen this point of yours.
I haven't seen data on white cops beating and torturing blacks, so I don't know. I doubt it's very high, since white cops killing blacks is very low.

The whole idea that blacks are being unfairly treated by white cops is mostly a myth. Aside from the profiling, which is inevitable as long as blacks are much more likely to commit violent crimes.
Agreed. Mostly a myth, one promulgated by those who want to gain / maintain their political power with it.

Are you psychic? Or are you trying to tell us you and your homies will make sure it gets worse?
The "homies" that I have that were still on the job have all taken the opportunity in the past year to retire.

This is a good read for any non far left mouth droolers. If you consider yourself a moderate liberal read it and critique and let's discuss

One takeaway:
police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020. The results? Murders rose 56% in those cities.

More importantly it gets into this false reality created by constant media focus.

Polls were taken and leftists overestimated the number of unarmed blacks shot by police by a huge margin. Many thinking it was a thousand or more a year (only 18 in 2020).

Other points, blacks being murdered by other blacks has increased due to this climate of pressuring cops to back off enforcemebt. The result being far far more excess black deaths recently than all cop killings of blacks.

The odds of a black being killed by cop is about the same as being killed by lightning strike.
Unless you are law abiding then it drops to near zero.

We live in a fake race reality right now due to political and social games.

I've never been shot by a cop. Some would say it's because I'm white.
I may be wrong about this, but I think it's because I don't act like a fool when I get pulled over. I don't do drugs. I don't drink. And I listen to what the cop says, and only provide what I'm asked.

Does that make me a racist?

We are told that we need to forgive cops that shoot first and ask questions later, because their jobs are so unbelievably dangerous.

And yet, statistics show that only around 30-60 cops on average are shot and killed each year. A few dozen out of all of the untold millions of interactions between police officers and the community.

Hold the phone for a sec.
Millions of interactions with police officers don't result in shooting the suspect, abusing them, false arrest or anything else that can cause in interaction to get out of hand, makes cops abusive and deadly?
90+% of these shootings, are because the suspect is getting out of hand. As in Floyds case. He got out of hand, twice.

BTW, there are too many scared shitless cops. Like the one that shot Tamir Rice. And those cops are the ones that need to made put under the jails if they unjustly shoot someone. Or be taken off the force if they show signs of being too emotional to even own a firearm.

Hold the phone for a sec.
Millions of interactions with police officers don't result in shooting the suspect, abusing them, false arrest or anything else that can cause in interaction to get out of hand, makes cops abusive and deadly?
90+% of these shootings, are because the suspect is getting out of hand. As in Floyds case. He got out of hand, twice.

BTW, there are too many scared shitless cops. Like the one that shot Tamir Rice. And those cops are the ones that need to made put under the jails if they unjustly shoot someone. Or be taken off the force if they show signs of being too emotional to even own a firearm.

Got out of hand. Apparently that warrants you being proned out with a knee on your neck as 4 cops slowly watch the life drain out of you over the course of several minutes.

Consistently amazed by how many of the self professed Libertarians on this forum go out of their way to excuse the state sanctioned killing of unarmed people who aren't posing a threat to anyone.

Got out of hand. Apparently that warrants you being proned out with a knee on your neck as 4 cops slowly watch the life drain out of you over the course of several minutes.

Consistently amazed by how many of the self professed Libertarians on this forum go out of their way to excuse the state sanctioned killing of unarmed people who aren't posing a threat to anyone.

I'm pretty sure the video's we've both seen of this incident, is the same, just from different angles. So obviously you and I seen the same video's. We just happened to watch different things in those video's.
Because the claims are that Chauvin basically choked Floyd with his knee, I watched Chauvins knee, his hip and his shoulders. And what I seen was Chauvin raising his knee, allowing Floyd to raise his head. Turn his head and neck, raise his NECK and raise his right shoulder. Several times during this restraint.
The body cam footage of the officer at Floyds feet, shows Floyd breathing up until about 2 minutes before the ambulance arrived.

I think racial profiling when out a long time ago. You raise a good point about black neighborhoods though. Poverty ridden neighborhood, where there's a higher (or even a medium population of blacks) do have a higher crime rate. Therefore, there's going to be more calls to police to those area's. And since there's more crime in those neighborhoods, police patrol them frequently. If there's a higher population of blacks, then it's just common sense that blacks are going to be pulled over more than white.
Take a white redneck area of any state, that has a "bad part of town," with a low population of whites. Whites are going to be pulled over more than blacks.

Obviously this is all just common sense. What's troublesome about this, is that the media doesn't make a point to mention this. They just point out that "blacks are racially profiled."

Why? Because racism sells ads. Especially if the police are involved. Note the lack of media attention for black on black crime, in predominantly black neighborhoods.

It's a fact that if the media would put as much attention on black on black crime, it would become important. What ever the media reports a lot of, seems to become important.

What relationship do you think they are trying to draw?
The only conclusion here is the factual one of black people kill magnitudes of more black people than anyone else, especially cops.

Does the media portray it thus?
From the OP:
" police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020. The results? Murders rose 56% in those cities."

I'll brake this down for you so that I hope you can understand...

Claimed fact -- police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020
Claimed fact -- Murders rose 56% in those cities

The OP tries to claim that those two premises are connected...that the drop in arrests is the cause for the increase in murders.

That is a classic post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy. There is no reason to believe that one caused the other.

It would be like my saying that umbrellas cause rain because whenever you see all kinds of umbrellas, it's raining.

That depends on the response. The kind of thing Trevor Noah tries to justify - destruction of our cities, looting, burning, and maiming or killing anyone who gets in the way - is not justifiable and wildly out of proportion to the problem. But there are a lot of people in our society who don’t have the intellectual maturity to recognize the difference between the vengeance they want and the justice under the law they’re entitled to.
I've seen a lot of Trevor Noah. Please provide the source of your claimed quotes.

I've never been shot by a cop. Some would say it's because I'm white.
I may be wrong about this, but I think it's because I don't act like a fool when I get pulled over. I don't do drugs. I don't drink. And I listen to what the cop says, and only provide what I'm asked.

Does that make me a racist?
White privilege dude, obeying cops is white privilege you didn't know?

Er...you don't understand what a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy is. The data may be accurate, but we don't have reason to believe the conclusion you're trying to draw from the data unless you can show a causal relationship.
So. it’s just a fancy way of sticking your fingers in your ears and going “nah, nah, nah . . . “ when presented with information you don’t like.

From the OP:
" police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020. The results? Murders rose 56% in those cities."

I'll brake this down for you so that I hope you can understand...

Claimed fact -- police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020
Claimed fact -- Murders rose 56% in those cities

The OP tries to claim that those two premises are connected...that the drop in arrests is the cause for the increase in murders.

That is a classic post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy. There is no reason to believe that one caused the other.

It would be like my saying that umbrellas cause rain because whenever you see all kinds of umbrellas, it's raining.
Minor correction: it is "propter" not proctor. But I doubt that will make a difference in that he doesn't seem to appreciate the fallacious logic that "after it does not mean because of it."

Don't resist arrest, you will probably not be held down or handcuffed.

Back
Top Bottom