• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OMG Hot Sauce Challenge

Jay59

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I read a passage of an online story. Posted with permission of the author.

It was one of those places where the menu has no prices, except for the person getting the bill. That would not be me. Francine had also tried to pick up the $3000 at the warehouse store. Since she was a well known performer, I expected her to be well off, but this was beginning to feel like serious money. It was something to consider. From her story earlier, Francine felt she owed Sheila a great deal. Debts and money go together, unless money cannot be used to pay the debt. With Sheila, that was entirely possible.
Dinner was not uneventful. I ordered steak and lobster—an 8 oz. steak and a one pound lobster tail. CC picked up the menu and pointed to a line. It turned out to be lobster scampi on linguine. Sheila ordered a dozen oysters and a grilled chicken on arugula salad. Francine ordered a 16 oz porterhouse and two whole lobsters, with a side of linguine alfredo.
The oysters arrived first. Sheila indicated that we were invited to share. Francine circled her finger twice. Another two dozen oysters were brought to the table, along with six varieties of hot sauce and a bowl of cut lemons. I had fun feeding some to CC, who was a shell fish virgin. She looked at the first one dubiously, but ate without verbal protest. The second one I doused with lemon. CC enjoyed that combination. For the third, I used Texas Pete, which is a moderately spicy pepper sauce. CC smiled at that one, so I upped it to Tabasco, then Melinda's, which was the hottest sauce at the table. CC was still looking for more.
For you non-pepperheads, Melinda's is a venerable habanero sauce. It packs nice heat, but also excellent flavor. It is generally the line between pretenders, like myself, and serious capsicum hounds. I looked at Francine, whose face drew a feral grin. She held up a hand and a waiter appeared. The waiter returned with three bottles: Melinda's Naga, Dave's Ghost and Mad Dog's 44 Magnum. The last one made my eye's widen. I looked at Francine again. She shrugged and ordered something else, probably ice cream.
Our table was drawing attention, which meant a server was at my elbow. I asked for gloves, which he had in his apron. Thus protected, I opened the bottle of Melinda's Red. This was above my comfort level, but at least I had tried this one. I put one drop on an oyster and offered it to CC. She ate it as if it were nothing, but then her eyes got wide and sweat popped out on her forehead. Like a true addict, she nodded. Blessed Jesus, forgive our sins. I opened the Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce. Just a whiff made me sneeze. CC did not nonchalant this bite, but it went down.
Francine jumped up on her chair. To the room, she asked who had a stop watch. Many people had a stopwatch function on their wristwatch or phone, but someone had an actual dial stopwatch. Holding it high, she nodded to me. I carefully cracked the seal on the Mad Dog's 44 Magnum and opened the bottle. This stuff was supposed to be close to police grade pepper spray. I took a toothpick and stuck it in the bottle, smeared the sauce on an oyster, then very carefully closed the jar.
The entire restaurant watched CC's face as she tasted the oyster. Her eyes got very wide as the heat hit. Sweat popped out all over her face and neck. She chewed a couple of times, then swallowed the bite. Her face took on the euphoric expression that means endorphin rush. Several people around the room did variations on, "Oh my God." After about a minute she looked around, as if to ask what the fuss was about.
Francine announced, "That was impressive. I am Francine Martel, one of the owners. For the next month, anyone that can do that, for one full minute, will win steak and lobster for four. You will have to buy the bottle and there will be a medical waiver. Ice cream will be included at no charge, win or lose. However, the steak and lobster, or equivalent, has to be ordered and paid before the attempt. I may be short, but I'm not stupid." That brought laughter and applause.

Among other things, I keep a jar of this in the fridge:

You're supposed to use it to make hot sauce. Used straight, you only need a tiny bit at a time.

Carolina Reapers average around 1,600,000 "Scoville Units", with some plants topping out over 2,200,000. Cutting one up and putting it on food is bad enough. But paste (or sauces) can burn your mouth more, since they spread out more. If you're chewing up food with pepper on it, you're only going to get so much of it on your mucous membranes.

I wonder how the above compares. There are some extracts that are hotter. ie,

No, don't buy it or anything like it. Advertised as 9,000,000 Scoville Units, or more than half of what pure capsicum would be (that would be 15.5 million or so). You've got to heat the bottle since it's capscium concentration is so high it tends to solidify....

What the units mean:

Oh, and this "Mad Dog 44 Magnum" is supposed to clock in a four million . . .

You guys and your blow your head off hot sauces...lol... Don't get me wrong, I respect the fortitude required to set your face, throat, and digestive system on fire, good for you, but after a point I fail to see the point... The heat buzz is nice, but there are way less painful ways to achieve Nirvana...lol

I can go pretty hot, but it's gotta make sense - Thai and Indian food get really hot, but are delicious, full of flavor, and usually there's something to offset the heat - a creamy element, a sweet element, something. Most of these hot sauces taste like weaponized regret and turn your asshole into a napalm dispenser.

That all said, I do love watching people lose their shit in hot pepper challenges...lol

You guys and your blow your head off hot sauces...lol... Don't get me wrong, I respect the fortitude required to set your face, throat, and digestive system on fire, good for you, but after a point I fail to see the point... The heat buzz is nice, but there are way less painful ways to achieve Nirvana...lol

I can go pretty hot, but it's gotta make sense - Thai and Indian food get really hot, but are delicious, full of flavor, and usually there's something to offset the heat - a creamy element, a sweet element, something. Most of these hot sauces taste like weaponized regret and turn your asshole into a napalm dispenser.

That all said, I do love watching people lose their shit in hot pepper challenges...lol

Oh, I don't go in for the super-extracts.

The thing to remember is that the more regularly you eat hot peppers, the more tolerance you have. And the tolerance isn't simply in the sense of how hot the given pepper tastes. The heat stops interfering with any other flavor, becoming a sort of meta-flavor itself.

I'd never participate in a pepper-eating contest. That's just masochistic.

Oh, I don't go in for the super-extracts.

The thing to remember is that the more regularly you eat hot peppers, the more tolerance you have. And the tolerance isn't simply in the sense of how hot the given pepper tastes. The heat stops interfering with any other flavor, becoming a sort of meta-flavor itself.

I'd never participate in a pepper-eating contest. That's just masochistic.

I was down for hot peppers until the age of the ghost pepper was upon us...after that, I tapped out, unless my manliness was being questioned....lol...and that only happened a couple times, after which I determined that manliness is overrated. I've got a pretty good tolerance, but I find that the better my tolerance gets, the less I taste other things. Honestly, man, some siracha (rooster sauce) is about as deep as I go with any regularity. A super spicy vindaloo can be fun, but the chemical reaction that takes place in my gut makes that an occasional treat. It's not so much that I don't enjoy the flavor, I just don't like using my ass as a flame thrower.

The navy has a paint made with purified capsicum to deter mollusks. Just touching the side of the ship will cause blisters. In the story, the girl had blisters in her mouth from the level of the capsicum.

What the story said about Melinda's sauce is totally legit. It has been around for decades and the flavor is wonderful. It's made with carrots, so the bright orange color is natural.

slide_309718_2728433_free.jpg

Last edited:
I found someone who plans to raise some Reapers and Scorpions. Hopefully I can get a couple of plants. Otherwise, I decided to try for some stuffing peppers. For starters, some garden center "Anaheim" and a couple of habanero.

I am a spice hound, have a few habanero sauces, but I love all hot sauces, I have a few odd ones, and some damned hot ones, but nothing like the mega pain ones. I do go through a lot of cayenne powder, it works with everything.

Most of these hot sauces taste like weaponized regret and turn your asshole into a napalm dispenser.

I shared the above line with Karen.
She actually doubled over laughing so hard drool (or something) came out her nose, and she was making weird stifled laughter noises that only women are capable of.
Thank you! 😂
(I think it was the visual of the "dispenser" that did her in)

I am a spice hound, have a few habanero sauces, but I love all hot sauces, I have a few odd ones, and some damned hot ones, but nothing like the mega pain ones. I do go through a lot of cayenne powder, it works with everything.

OMG my first wife went through a cayenne phase.
I finally offered to sprinkle some in her coffee. 😂

Oh, and this "Mad Dog 44 Magnum" is supposed to clock in a four million . . .

Yeah, that's extract shit and it's pretty hardcore by itself. Me? I like Last Dab

I put it on many a thing. It's pepper mash, not extract, so it doesn't get to the levels of an extract sauce like the Mad Dog, but it still plenty warm.

Yeah, that's extract shit and it's pretty hardcore by itself. Me? I like Last Dab

I put it on many a thing. It's pepper mash, not extract, so it doesn't get to the levels of an extract sauce like the Mad Dog, but it still plenty warm.
I have a little bit left of the original Last Dab and havent cracked the top on the Apollo sause yet. I realy like their Original sauce...not a huge fan of Los Caliente.

I've been a lot more partial to dried pepper flakes and powders lately. I often eat at my desk, so on one of the nearby cabinets I have: Carolina Reaper flakes, Scorpion (Moruga/Butch T) powder, and a bigass jar of Habenero flakes.

I shared the above line with Karen.
She actually doubled over laughing so hard drool (or something) came out her nose, and she was making weird stifled laughter noises that only women are capable of.
Thank you! 😂
(I think it was the visual of the "dispenser" that did her in)

lmao...glad my painful experiences brightened your wife's day, bud... :)

Even mildly spicy food makes sweat-beads break out at my ever receding hairline, any more!

C’mon ice cream!

This right here is why I stop at the Sriracha Sauce, the Cayan pepper, and the Jalapeno. There is no need or want to have the heat continuing on down below.

My neighbor gives me peppers, I have to use a bloody suit just to handle them and takes about three days to fully blanch the heat out. They are delicious in Chilli Relleno afterwards, but may as well be lethal if used straight off the vine. Those things if used as a weapon would violate the Geneva Convention. I make my chili for him, standard recipe even the same amount of peppers just his home grown peppers. I have to wear protection around the stuff while I make it. One of these days I am going to run a geiger counter over the peppers.

You guys deserve a laugh.

Recently, an acquaintance was a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and he happened to be standing near the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. Once assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy and he could have free beer during the tasting, so he accepted and became Judge 3.​
Here are the scorecard notes from the event:​
CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI
Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.​
CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI
Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQflavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.​
CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting red-faced from all of the beer.​
CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC
Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?​
CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.​

CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.​
CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.​
CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI
Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 — No report.​

I am told the same story circulates among the British concerning curries.

This right here is why I stop at the Sriracha Sauce, the Cayan pepper, and the Jalapeno. There is no need or want to have the heat continuing on down below.

My neighbor gives me peppers, I have to use a bloody suit just to handle them and takes about three days to fully blanch the heat out. They are delicious in Chilli Relleno afterwards, but may as well be lethal if used straight off the vine. Those things if used as a weapon would violate the Geneva Convention. I make my chili for him, standard recipe even the same amount of peppers just his home grown peppers. I have to wear protection around the stuff while I make it. One of these days I am going to run a geiger counter over the peppers.

Try to broaden your horizons to include scotch bonnet peppers....there's some great flavours there, you just need to use a light hand... :)

I thought a spatter shield was protective gear......

Try to broaden your horizons to include scotch bonnet peppers....there's some great flavours there, you just need to use a light hand... :)
CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.​
Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.​
Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.​
CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.​
Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.​
Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.​
CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI
Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.​
Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?​
Judge # 3 — No report.​

I am told the same story circulates among the British concerning curries.

Still a funny story even after reading it many times. :)

We grew our own ghost peppers last year, froze some, made some hot sauce. Wonderful aroma. Hold yer breath while doing the washing up.

Back
Top Bottom