• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Oh yeah! Texas!!

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I my "Texas - going blue?" thread from 3 days ago I noted that Texas is far ahead of others in relative volume of early votes. In fact, yesterday it already passed TOTAL early vote of 2016 with more busy early voting ahead.

I showed that the polls still had Texas squarely in red territory (-5, -4, -5, -7 points in Trump direction) but they were all polls from a couple weeks earlier.

So with such heavy early voting volume, I wondered...

I wonder if newly coming TX polls will start showing significant change toward Biden...

I finally got my answer today.

Quinnipiac University: a tie!!
Data for Progress: Biden +1!!

Last edited:
Texas had a total of 8.5 million voters in 2016, which is only 52 percent voters of age. Current early voting has total amount approaching 5 million voters. Cant believe I'm saying this but Texas maybe a close race this year...

Texas had a total of 8.5 million voters in 2016, which is only 52 percent voters of age. Current early voting has total amount approaching 5 million voters. Cant believe I'm saying this but Texas maybe a close race this year...
If Texas gets halfway close to Blue this time, we're looking at the new Florida!

The big Texas cities are already blue. I don't know whether the rest of Texas is becoming purple; I guess we'll all see.

I my "Texas - going blue?" thread from 3 days ago I noted that Texas is far ahead of others in relative volume of early votes. In fact, yesterday it already passed TOTAL early vote of 2016 with more busy early voting ahead.

I showed that the polls still had Texas squarely in red territory (-5, -4, -5, -7 points in Trump direction) but they were all polls from a couple weeks earlier.

So with such heavy early voting volume, I wondered...

I finally got my answer today.

Quinnipiac University: a tie!!
Data for Progress: Biden +1!!
Well, if Texas goes Biden, Trump will get his wish -- we will know who won on election night.

Well, if Texas goes Biden, Trump will get his wish -- we will know who won on election night.

Not sure what you mean--why wouldn't we know on election night if he doesn't?

Trump has been complaining that because of absentee ballots not counted as of election night, we won't know right away who won. He wanted the SCOTUS to rule that ballots couldn't be counted after election day.

At the rate we are going in TX, by Nov 2, number of early votes may in fact exceed total 2016 vote!

To add to MTAtech's post: A decisive win by locking in a majority of states early on will help defuse the idea of fraud.

To add to MTAtech's post: A decisive win by locking in a majority of states early on will help defuse the idea of fraud.

I hope there won't be any substantial issue of fraud. I hope that you're correct and that we'll know on election night who won. I expect, irrespective of who wins and because of what contentious, poor-sport crybabies we seem to have become, that whichever side loses will demand a recount, sigh.

The big Texas cities are already blue. I don't know whether the rest of Texas is becoming purple; I guess we'll all see.

Those cities and all of their suburbs need to be navy. I don't; think any of them will even be royal blue.

Because election night is when people START, not finish, counting ballots. DUH.

Perhaps you can explain then this statement: " Well, if Texas goes Biden, Trump will get his wish -- we will know who won on election night."

Yeah, but the Cowboys still suck!!

They suck so bad their last game was worse than the score. One win was a fluke by the other team. The quarterback downgrade is bigger than I expected.

On topic, I want to see Cowboys and Texans blue all over the Texas map for a totally different reason.

Perhaps you can explain then this statement: " Well, if Texas goes Biden, Trump will get his wish - we will know who won on election night."

It always amazes me that people think tens of millions of ballots can be counted in only four hours.

It always amazes me that people think tens of millions of ballots can be counted in only four hours.

I've never said that I think this. And what does it have to do with IF Biden wins Texas, we'll all know who won on election night?

I've never said that I think this. And what does it have to do with IF Biden wins Texas, we'll all know who won on election night?

There is no other reason people would think it is remotely possible to know who won Texas son election night. Obviously no Electoral College map shows Texas as a navy state; they are either tossup, pink, or light blue. So there is no way to know who won without all of the ballots being counted, which is mathematically impossible in just four hours.

Perhaps you can explain then this statement: " Well, if Texas goes Biden, Trump will get his wish -- we will know who won on election night."

I believe the point being made is that if Texas and its 38 electoral votes go blue, Trump doesn’t have a realistic chance of amassing 270 electoral votes elsewhere. A shift toward Biden enough to flip Texas, also likely means many if not all of the other swing states will be blue as well...even if the final official vote totals in those states isn’t known on the evening of the 3rd.

It's probably not a great idea to get too excited about early voter turnout because Republicans are just going to make up a lot of the difference on election day. I can certainly understand the temptation though because of the conventional wisdom that high voter turnout is usually good for Democrats.

I believe the point being made is that if Texas and its 38 electoral votes go blue, Trump doesn’t have a realistic chance of amassing 270 electoral votes elsewhere. A shift toward Biden enough to flip Texas, also likely means many if not all of the other swing states will be blue as well...even if the final official vote totals in those states isn’t known on the evening of the 3rd.

Donald Trump has no chance without Texas and Florida.

I'll answer the question because it was my statement.
After the Supreme Court upheld Pennsylvania's Supreme Court decision to allow ballots to be counted after election day, over the Trump campaign's challenge, Trump said {I can't find the exact quote} "that's ridiculous. We won't know who won on election night."
My point is that if Texas goes for Biden, that's 38 electoral votes that will likely put Biden way over the top quickly.

Just for the record, there is no requirement to have results on election night. For most of the country's history, it took weeks or months to decide this. In 2000, it took over a month.

I already have taken Nov 4th off from work. Planning an all nighter results watch.

Back
Top Bottom