• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Oh yeah! Texas!!

There is no other reason people would think it is remotely possible to know who won Texas son election night. Obviously no Electoral College map shows Texas as a navy state; they are either tossup, pink, or light blue. So there is no way to know who won without all of the ballots being counted, which is mathematically impossible in just four hours.

Actually, Texas does count mail in/absentee ballots the week before election day. They start tabulating in person early in person votes on election day afternoon. All this to say, we could have a pretty good idea how Texas voted by late in the evening. If, huge if, Texas were record say 9 million votes for Biden early, that would be it... Texas has about 17 million registered voters and is a winner take all state. Not predicting that it will happen but it could.

It's probably not a great idea to get too excited about early voter turnout because Republicans are just going to make up a lot of the difference on election day. I can certainly understand the temptation though because of the conventional wisdom that high voter turnout is usually good for Democrats.
I hear you but several things come to mind. If early voting is a proxy for turnout, this is good for Dems. Also, early voting over a two-week period limits lines. Wouldn't it be a table-turner, if the GOP has long lines on Nov 4, the way they used to suppress the vote in black neighborhoods by causing long lines?

Actually, Texas does count mail in/absentee ballots the week before election day. They start tabulating early in person votes on Election Day afternoon. All this to say, we could have a pretty good idea how Texas voted by late in the evening. If, huge if, Texas were to record say 9 million votes for Biden early, that would be it. Texas has about 17 million registered voters and is a winner take all state. Not predicting that it will happen but it could.

I take it there is no concern about mail-in ballots changing the way others will vote in 13 days? My mom told me for that reason, our ballots cannot be counted until after all polls close on November 3 even though we voted on September 29.

This still does not change the state's current tossup status. It would have to a blowout for either candidate to hear he won Texas shortly after all the polls close.

I take it there is no concern about mail-in ballots changing the way others will vote in 13 days? My mom told me for that reason, our ballots cannot be counted until after all polls close on November 3 even though we voted on September 29.

This still does not change the state's current tossup status. It would have to a blowout for either candidate to hear he won Texas shortly after all the polls close.

There is no concern because none of the counts are released. Texas has very, very restrictive absentee ballot requirements so there will not be a large number of absentee ballots. Again, the number of registered voters is around 17 million. If Biden gets a count of 9 million votes, mathematically, there is no way absentee ballots would change the result. It's pretty simple math. Not predicting that will happen just pointing out the possibility.

I hope there won't be any substantial issue of fraud. I hope that you're correct and that we'll know on election night who won. I expect, irrespective of who wins and because of what contentious, poor-sport crybabies we seem to have become, that whichever side loses will demand a recount, sigh.

I hope not either; we need to retain some kind of confidence in our system of governance. What I find asking myself every time Trump bashes mail in voting is "well, you're the president, so what are you doing about that?". I don't expect the president himself to solve it, but surely more could have worked with those who can to ensure voters can trust the mail in voting process rather than have the president cast all sorts of doubts about it.

I hope not either; we need to retain some kind of confidence in our system of governance. What I find asking myself every time Trump bashes mail in voting is "well, you're the president, so what are you doing about that?". I don't expect the president himself to solve it, but surely more could have worked with those who can to ensure voters can trust the mail in voting process rather than have the president cast all sorts of doubts about it.

His opinion, like most of them, didn't influence me. What influenced me was my own experiences with the Post Office and rural carriers. Just this past week a package was delivered a day late because my driveway was allegedly blocked. No, it wasn't.

I hear you but several things come to mind. If early voting is a proxy for turnout, this is good for Dems. Also, early voting over a two-week period limits lines. Wouldn't it be a table-turner, if the GOP has long lines on Nov 4, the way they used to suppress the vote in black neighborhoods by causing long lines?
They could have long lines in Texas on Election Day. I believe Republicans changed the ballots so you can no longer vote a straight ticket. That makes voting take longer because you have to vote each race individually so the lines could be longer. Apparently they thought Beto got close to taking down Cruz because too many people voted a straight Democrat ballot.

There obviously will be no long lines on November 4.

His opinion, like most of them, didn't influence me. What influenced me was my own experiences with the Post Office and rural carriers. Just this past week a package was delivered a day late because my driveway was allegedly blocked. No, it wasn't.

Do you think that situation is so common that it would throw off an election by thousands of ballots? Some states have managed to do mail in ballots with little to no issue.

They could have long lines in Texas on Election Day. I believe Republicans changed the ballots so you can no longer vote a straight ticket. That makes voting take longer because you have to vote each race individually so the lines could be longer. Apparently they thought Beto got close to taking down Cruz because too many people voted a straight Democrat ballot.

You are correct, straight ticket voting was eliminated in Texas this year.

Maybe it is a George W. Bush effect? Isn't he quite popular in Texas?

Trump is the best thing to happen to democrats since the Roosevelt presidency.

Do you think that situation is so common that it would throw off an election by thousands of ballots? Some states have managed to do mail in ballots with little to no issue.

This I don't know. There have never been any issues at all in my community, not with hanging chads, defective balloting machines, or mail-in ballots. Could what happened in Kentucky a week+ ago (the discovery of ballots that had been dumped) happen elsewhere? Yes. And while "only" hundreds of lost ballots wouldn't substantially change a Presidential election (I don't think), these lost ballots definitely would have an impact on the local/county and state issues/candidates on those ballots.

I my "Texas - going blue?" thread from 3 days ago I noted that Texas is far ahead of others in relative volume of early votes. In fact, yesterday it already passed TOTAL early vote of 2016 with more busy early voting ahead.

I showed that the polls still had Texas squarely in red territory (-5, -4, -5, -7 points in Trump direction) but they were all polls from a couple weeks earlier.

So with such heavy early voting volume, I wondered...

I finally got my answer today.

Quinnipiac University: a tie!!
Data for Progress: Biden +1!!

Senator Beto O'Rourke agrees with them polls.

Trump has been complaining that because of absentee ballots not counted as of election night, we won't know right away who won. He wanted the SCOTUS to rule that ballots couldn't be counted after election day.

Which of course isn't at all supported by the law anywhere. There's nothing that says we have to know who won on Election Day.

I am sure you know what the rattlesnake was doing about it. He tried very hard to minimize the number of mail-in ballots by defunding the USPS and did not keep his intentions a secret. His fear was not voter fraud, but the partisan disparity, knowing most ballots will be filled out by Democrats.

It is impossible to prevent someone from voting straight ticket. Even if the letters D and R do not appear on ballots, everyone knows who to vote for except those who paid no attention to federal and state politics all year.

I am sure you know what the rattlesnake was doing about it. He tried very hard to minimize the number of mail-in ballots by defunding the USPS and did not keep his intentions a secret. His fear was not voter fraud, but the partisan disparity, knowing most ballots will be filled out by Democrats.

Yeah, it's an absolute crapshow. That the president of the US has stated the only way he will lose is if there is fraud says all you need to know about his stance. Not acknowledging the very clear possibility a significant amount of the population doesn't want to vote for him is pretty absurd.

Yeah, it's an absolute crapshow. That the president of the US has stated the only way he will lose is if there is fraud says all you need to know about his stance. Not acknowledging the very clear possibility a significant amount of the population doesn't want to vote for him is pretty absurd.

He knows the real reason people don't want to vote for him and has been lying about the risk of voter fraud. At least one other member said even Trump himself votes by mail.

... Kentucky a week+ ago (the discovery of ballots that had been dumped) ...

Note that these ballots were NOT filled but were going TO the people to be filled. In other words, if they never received them, most of them would have to request them again or go vote in person. (Yes, some would not be able to - so some votes would be lost but nowhere near the "100s" I would think)

Also note that if ballots are dumped going FROM people TO county election boards, then they'd never get confirmation that their ballots are received. In some states you have to check the status to see that. So it's true that some (many?) people may not check on status of their ballot and not realize it's never received back.

In any case, hopefully this is an isolated incident (likely inspired by Trump).

Your mom is mistaken. Ballots can be counted as early as 22 days before the election. However, results cannot be released before county polls close.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES...ing=&URL=0100-0199/0101/Sections/0101.68.html

Obviously, if ballots have been pre-counted, unofficial results can be released as soon as the polls close.

As for Texas:

"(a) The early voting ballot board may determine whether to accept early voting ballots voted by mail in accordance with Section 87.041 at any time after the ballots are delivered to the board.

(b) The board may not count early voting ballots until:

(1) the polls open on election day; or
(2) in an election conducted by an authority of a county with a population of 100,000 or more or conducted jointly with such a county, the end of the period for early voting by personal appearance."

https://law.justia.com/codes/texas/...le-a/chapter-87/subchapter-b/section-87-0241/

It is impossible to prevent someone from voting straight ticket. Even if the letters D and R do not appear on ballots, everyone knows who to vote for except those who paid no attention to federal and state politics all year.

Dunno about Texas but I have lived in states where the ballot included boxes for "Democrat" and "Republican" as well as for individual candidates. You only had to check the party box to vote a straight ticket. Or you could split the vote by checking boxes for each race.

He knows the real reason people don't want to vote for him and has been lying about the risk of voter fraud. At least one other member said even Trump himself votes by mail.

As of noon news today, WEPC-CBS12 reported Trump has not requested an absentee/mail ballot. There is speculation he is coming to Florida soon and may vote in-person.

Trump is the best thing to happen to democrats since the Roosevelt presidency.

...and, in the long run, Republicans. They paid no attention to their autopsy in 2012. With the party in shambles next year (and likely losing many statehouses, and being gerrymandered out of the House for a while .... what goes around comes around).... they will be forced to dust off the autopsy to use it as a guide. In the end, they will agree with Joe. They will "build back better"

Dunno about Texas but I have lived in states where the ballot included boxes for "Democrat" and "Republican" as well as for individual candidates. You only had to check the party box to vote a straight ticket. Or you could split the vote by checking boxes for each race.

I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Voting straight ticket only means you look for the party letter select the name beside it, which nobody can be prevented from doing.

Back
Top Bottom