• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's America

That a small minority can shut down the most powerful nation in the world on a whim? That they can make mockery of our Govt.

I can hardly begin to describe the concentrated vapidity in these few words.

First of all, they're not a "small minority." Second of all, pertaining to the Members of Congress, they're a majority of the House. They ARE the government, or at least a co-equal branch of it. Third, they can't do anything of the sort of a "whim," and it's not a "whim" besides. Fourth, the "nation" is not "shut down," not by even the wildest stretches of a fevered imagination. It is proceeding apace with its daily business, hardly noticing any difference at all. And the federal government isn't even shut down entirely.

So, really -- stuff the histrionics.

Certainly in the top 3 in my book of Republican POTUSAs, T. Roosevelt could not have done it without WJ Bryan.
The 16th, the 17th, the saving of our National Parks that the Gilded wing of the GOP wanted to rape, the beginning of the ACA, helping Wilson get elected because he hated what Taft was doing to the Nation, trust-buster, monopolies, an end to 9-YO miners with missing toes and fingers--we owe a lot to this man on Mount Rushmore but it is scary that it happened only because of an assassination.
I hope to dear whatever divine figure may in-fact be up there that you are being wholly sarcastic.

Have you ever heard of the Bull Moose Party? the Progressive Party? Teddy Roosevelt? the 1912 election?

Obama won 2 elections on promising and then delivering healthcare reform. And elections are how America determines it's laws and it's future. They didn't stress that to you in the service? We don't cave to extortion when it comes to our democracy. There are other threats besides foreign ones.

he sold it on lies and like any product sold on a lie you can return the product and even sue for damages caused by that lie
America has spoken loudly and clearly they don't want Obama care
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law
America has spoken loudly and clearly they want it repealed
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Repeal of Health Care Law: Favor/Oppose

those republicans congress where elected also to do the will of their people that elected them and they have every right to do just that
Obama is not king he is no better then Cruz or Rubio or Paul is agenda doesn't trump their agenda his policies are not any more pressing then their policies he is not King

I can hardly begin to describe the concentrated vapidity in these few words.

First of all, they're not a "small minority." Second of all, pertaining to the Members of Congress, they're a majority of the House. They ARE the government, or at least a co-equal branch of it. Third, they can't do anything of the sort of a "whim," and it's not a "whim" besides. Fourth, the "nation" is not "shut down," not by even the wildest stretches of a fevered imagination. It is proceeding apace with its daily business, hardly noticing any difference at all. And the federal government isn't even shut down entirely.

So, really -- stuff the histrionics.

Well at least the AHC act is fully funded, I'll give you that but.....
I call the 18% of voters that the T's represent a small minority. The rest of the R's are frightened into complying by the threat of being "primary-ed". Boner won't even bring a clean bill to a vote for fear it would pass.
So 800,000 workers and families without a paycheck this week is "hardly noticeable at all"? How can you be that heartless? Oh wait I forgot you are a Right winger who cares only about his OWN paycheck. Sleep well?

Obama admin. knew about WWII veterans’ request and rejected it
Read more: Obama admin. knew about WWII veterans' request, rejected it | The Daily Caller

Park Service says Obama admin ordered closure of World War II Memorial
Barry-cades confirmed: Park Service says Obama admin ordered closure of World War II Memorial | Twitchy

You do realize that there is in-fact a government shutdown occurring at this very moment correct? There is a reason why they were ordered to close and to not let anyone one in. There is no money for national services such as national parks and monuments.

We could greatly reduce the deficit by selling the Lincoln Memorial and National Parks to private enterprise. And before you chastise me, I'll point out that London Bridge is in Lake Havasu AZ so there is precedence of a sort.

What to you think a consortium of Chinese billionaires would pay for, say, Yellowstone? A trillion? Easily. 17 sales like that and we have a zero national debt and a positive balance of payments for the first time ever.

Just saying.

Certainly in the top 3 in my book of Republican POTUSAs, T. Roosevelt could not have done it without WJ Bryan.
The 16th, the 17th, the saving of our National Parks that the Gilded wing of the GOP wanted to rape, the beginning of the ACA, helping Wilson get elected because he hated what Taft was doing to the Nation, trust-buster, monopolies, an end to 9-YO miners with missing toes and fingers--we owe a lot to this man on Mount Rushmore but it is scary that it happened only because of an assassination.

I'm afraid I'm a little lost in a bit of your post.

I understand you're referencing Mckinley's assassination at the end after a bit of thought, but how is William Jennings Bryan to necessarily thank for any of Teddy Roosevelt's achievements?

I call the 18% of voters that the T's represent a small minority. The rest are frightened into complying by the threat of being "primary-ed"

Oh, good lord. Whatever you say, champ.

So 800,000 workers and families without a paycheck this week is "hardly noticeable at all"?

To the functioning of the nation at large, to which you were referring? Yes.

How can you be that heartless?

Because rational thought and reasoning specifically reject emotion. :shrug:

Oh wait I forgot you are a Right winger who care only about his OWN paycheck. Sleep well?

If the "nation" were "shut down," nobody would be getting one.

he sold it on lies and like any product sold on a lie you can return the product and even sue for damages caused by that lie
America has spoken loudly and clearly they don't want Obama care
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law
America has spoken loudly and clearly they want it repealed
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Repeal of Health Care Law: Favor/Oppose

those republicans congress where elected also to do the will of their people that elected them and they have every right to do just that
Obama is not king he is no better then Cruz or Rubio or Paul is agenda doesn't trump their agenda his policies are not any more pressing then their policies he is not King

That is not how our Govt. works. At least learn a little about it. It's better to you know what you were fighting for. There is a method for repealing a law and it works just fine. We can't change our Govt. to suit your whim. Their are just too many who died to protect it.

You do realize that there is in-fact a government shutdown occurring at this very moment correct? There is a reason why they were ordered to close and to not let anyone one in. There is no money for national services such as national parks and monuments.

then if there wasn't any money where did the money come from to erect those barricades and post arm guards?

I hope to dear whatever divine figure may in-fact be up there that you are being wholly sarcastic.

Have you ever heard of the Bull Moose Party? the Progressive Party? Teddy Roosevelt? the 1912 election?

I'm very well knowledgeable of the Bull Moose Party, Progressive Party and Teddy Roosevelt. All three are racist.
In fact it was the Progressives who conducted the most comprehensive study on American immigration and used science to prove that Northern Europeans were superior to all other races and ethnicities.

Those who hide behind the progressive label today hate hearing that because if they're true progressives they would oppose amnesty for illegal aliens and would support heavy restrictions on immigration. -> UVM History Review vol. 6 Dec. 1994: Lund

That is not how our Govt. works. At least learn a little about it. It's better to you know what you were fighting for. There is a method for repealing a law and it works just fine. We can't change our Govt. to suit your whim. Their are just too many who died to protect it.

I fought for the country not for the government. when you are the president your the president of all its citizens not just the ones that voted for you like you and Obama think its not FU I won so you do my will he is not king

Reagan's America:

In some cases, the orders to dismiss workers and shut down programs were received with little advance warning. ''We got a telephone call at 1:57 P.M. that no one would be paid as of 2 @o'clock,'' said Bill DeHart, chief of visitor services at the Statue of Liberty. ''We called over to the mainland right away, and told them to stop selling tickets and to give refunds for those they'd already sold.''

''Then they sent an empty ferry over to bring back the visitors on the island,'' he said.

THOUSANDS OF WORKERS IDLED BY ABRUPT BUDGET FURLOUGHS-New York Times, David Bird, November 24, 1981

Bush Sr.'s America:
But from the U.S.S. Arizona National Memorial at Pearl Harbor to the Statue of Liberty, visitors were turned away as the National Park Service halted its routine operations. And on a holiday weekend, hundreds of thousands of park visitors, from the Shenandoah Valley to Yellowstone, could not be helped by rangers except in emergencies.

THE BUDGET BATTLE; Despite Federal Shutdown, Large Loopholes Stay Open, John H. Cushman Jr., New York TimesOctober 7, 1990

then if there wasn't any money where did the money come from to erect those barricades and post arm guards?

Most likely either small reserves of cash within the programs themselves, or another section of the government that isn't affected by the shutdown.

You have to realize that this is the way it works. If the government shuts down, many general services provided by the national government become unavailable. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the group of individuals that were the general cause of the whole thing, the Congressional Republicans.

Reagan's America:

Bush Sr.'s America:

those monuments required assistance from park rangers for safety reasons the long steps and elevators in the Statue of Liberty and the boat that takes you to see the Arizona National Memorial. we are talking about static stone monuments that require no park assistance

those monuments required assistance from park rangers for safety reasons the long steps and elevators in the Statue of Liberty and the boat that takes you to see the Arizona National Memorial. we are talking about static stone monuments that require no park assistance

Dude, I just finished quoting the shutdown in 1995 with the Lincoln Memorial and you're seriously going to say that now?

Bryan was the Democratic leader in the "Progressive era" and ran for President 3 times. He teamed up with T. Roosevelt to help deliver the needed Democratic states and votes for Roosevelt's many accomplishments.
I'm afraid I'm a little lost in a bit of your post.

I understand you're referencing Mckinley's assassination at the end after a bit of thought, but how is William Jennings Bryan to necessarily thank for any of Teddy Roosevelt's achievements?

Most likely either small reserves of cash within the programs themselves, or another section of the government that isn't affected by the shutdown.

You have to realize that this is the way it works. If the government shuts down, many general services provided by the national government become unavailable. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the group of individuals that were the general cause of the whole thing, the Congressional Republicans.

your going to tell me a stone wall is unavailable what are they going to do next throw some tarps over them

I'm very well knowledgeable of the Bull Moose Party, Progressive Party and Teddy Roosevelt. All three are racist.
In fact it was the Progressives who conducted the most comprehensive study on American immigration and used science to prove that Northern Europeans were superior to all other races and ethnicities.

Those who hide behind the progressive label today hate hearing that because if they're true progressives they would oppose amnesty for illegal aliens and would support heavy restrictions on immigration. -> UVM History Review vol. 6 Dec. 1994: Lund

Ha! The "Progressives" you're referencing are the Old Guard Republicans. Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover were the post-progressive Republicans that came into power after Wilson. They were the one's that put in the stricter immigration quotas from non-WASP countries during the 20's.

In all reality though in turn of the century United States you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a white person that would be considered racist today. I mean honestly your grandmother would have been racist. Not that it isn't an issue of principle in today's modern time, but don't bring up something so trivial and honestly pointless when it comes to an honest discussion of the dawn of the century politics of the 20th century.

However none of this excuses the fact or answers the question of if you sincerely thought his avatar was of Sarah Palin's moose.

Those guards are essential personnel which are not shut down.
If you don't know why it is essential to protect our national treasures from harm, I give up.

Bryan was the Democratic leader in the "Progressive era" and ran for President 3 times. He teamed up with T. Roosevelt to help deliver the needed Democratic states and votes for Roosevelt's many accomplishments.

Bryan was indeed the Democratic leader of the time period, however he ran against Roosevelt so I'm not quite sure what you mean by he helped deliver democratic states to Roosevelt.

your going to tell me a stone wall is unavailable what are they going to do next throw some tarps over them

If that stone wall is run by the National Park Service, then yes. I don't think tarps would be a very sound, effective or at all useful idea though,

Those guards are essential personnel which are not shut down.
If you don't know why it is essential to protect our national treasures from harm, I give up.

and the parks service rangers job was to do what?

Back
Top Bottom