• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NPR Fires News Analyst [Juan Williams] After Remarks About Muslims

Do you agree with Juan Williams's firing?

• Total voters
See, I don't think the Republicans on this forum understand this: congress can't tell the CPB what to fund and what not to fund. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is given money by congressional approval and they in turn give out grants for various projects. A certain percentage of those grants, given out by the bi-partisan board of the CPB, go to NPR. So it's not possible to introduce a bill telling the CPB what they can and can't give grant money to, because that defeats the purpose of having the CBP in the first place. And if NPR was so terribly partisan, the Republican board members of the CPB wouldn't give them the grants.

The fact of the matter is that NPR is not, as a whole, partisan, and anybody who accuses them of being obviously partisan obviously never listens to NPR. DeMint is trying to win points for the GOP by saying he'll introduce this legislation which can't be introduced because what he's suggesting doesn't make any sense. If he starts saying "defund the CPB," that makes sense, and nobody would back that effort (like I already said). Because the CPB is a bi-partisan group that stimulates business in the media sector. Besides, only 5% or so (not 15% as DeMint falsely claimed) of NPR's funding comes from CPB grants. This is a lot of noise from conservatives over absolutely nothing.

Also, the claim that William's free speech is being infringed upon is untrue. I went to a school that received federal grants, and the newspaper there censored several cartoons and editorials regarding Islam. The courts have already ruled that they have the right to do so. The Juan Williams case is similar.

The world has to be upside down. When liberals were liberal not progressive we would be outraged at any such firing. Now we have dems/progressives defending this whacky firing with rep/conservatives being angry.

It was ironic but I got a fundraising call from the local NPR station which we have supported for many years. I told them that based on this action there will be no support in the near future.

That NPR with its polished rational informed voices, and POETRY and BLUEGRASS pretending to be all american.

blughh...

Honesty is very important along with integrity, unless you are a politician. Your credibility is in question without honesty and integrity.

I find that humorous, you being a conservative and all.

That NPR with its polished rational informed voices, and POETRY and BLUEGRASS pretending to be all american.

blughh...

Moreso, than Fox, pretending to be "fair and balanced' and the only thing missing are swastikas.

Moreso, than Fox, pretending to be "fair and balanced' and the only thing missing are swastikas.
godwin1081928.jpg

:wink2:

Cmon those kindof sweeping statements really arent in line. (Shhhh, they dont know they're crazy:wink2:)

But I happen to love "sweeping statements', especially when they raise the temperature in the room. For the other guy.

Welcome to the internet, Nazi's are so overused they dont mean anything anymore. :shrug:

Welcome to the internet, Nazi's are so overused they dont mean anything anymore. :shrug:

Oh don't be such a Godwin Nazi:2razz:

Godwin Nazis are similiar to spelling/grammar nazis:mrgreen:

My bad. I didn't have a point of reference. Now that I cleared that up...I wasn't that far "off base". Rupert Murdoch seems to think he is some kind of "Fuhrer", and that the masses will follow if he simply leads. Folks are sitting around waiting for him to permanently damage what little reputation and credibility he has left.....you can only do so much with money.

My bad. I didn't have a point of reference. Now that I cleared that up...I wasn't that far "off base". Rupert Murdoch seems to think he is some kind of "Fuhrer", and that the masses will follow if he simply leads. Folks are sitting around waiting for him to permanently damage what little reputation and credibility he has left.....you can only do so much with money.

Can you link to evidence that he thinks he is a "fuhrer", thank you.

Can you link to evidence that he thinks he is a "fuhrer", thank you.

Semantics, schmantics...what's in a name? A rose by any other name............
Are you defending Rupert Murdoch, is the question? If you are, then you can't very well point fingers at illegal immigrants questing for a chance at the American Dream, or China being our "Savings and Loan". Now which will it be? At least there is some transparency with China.

Last edited:
As you said, Bull****. I don't have to ask anyone about what they think is racist or not...usually the ones so quick to call folks racists, are racists themselves. Me, calling a black man an "Uncle Tom" is not racist...because we both belong to the same race. Now, you calling a black man an "Uncle Tom", would most certainly be "racist". See how that works?

It's certainly bigoted. Not much better of at all than racist. :shrug:

Well, one of the possible consequences of this whole thing is an increase or awareness of conservative viewpoints. This does not need to be anything dramatic, but there was an upswing of conservative viewpoints in PBS after the beginning of the "Contract for America" era. I think in general what is missing is that having a conservative point of view need not be something like Rush Limbaugh, Stossel, or anything like that. You can have intelligent communication with conservatives. What is missing is an acknowledgment that a lack of imagination is present in media outlets. With many of the outlets, including Fox News, is the entertainment factor that takes over, and there is a serious lack of policy discussion. Even with the "news" portions of the stations, there is a serious lack of insightful policy discussion.

Last edited:
look, if you want to try to insult me, I suggest you follow the rules and take it to the basement.

Excuse me? Are you paranoid? Is everything about you? Trust me, if I wanted to insult you, you'd know it by now.
I was merely imparting wisdom....as you have done.

Excuse me? Are you paranoid? Is everything about you? Trust me, if I wanted to insult you, you'd know it by now.

so you want to insult me, but not man up to it. Ok, thanks. I'll take it from here.

You're being a little insulting. -_-

Back
Top Bottom