• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Not Fired: Idaho Sheriff Charged For Pulling Gun On Church Kids Who Might Have Been ‘Drunk Indians’ Keeps His Job

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland was indicted earlier this month by the Idaho Attorney General’s Office for allegedly threatening a Latter-Day Saints youth church group who he suggested he feared could have been “drunk Indians,” according to the Idaho News. Instead, the group of seven girls and an adult chaperone was actually driving around Rowland’s neighborhood and placing “thank you” notes on residents’ doors, ringing doorbells and leaving before anyone answered.
When Rowland heard them from his home on that fateful night of Nov. 9, law enforcement officials say the off-duty sheriff went outside, stopped their car, brandished his gun, pulled the chaperone through a window and put the gun to the woman’s head.
The 62-year-old is formally charged with aggravated battery and aggravated assault — both felonies — and the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon, a misdemeanor.
“I have been doing this job for 36 years,” Rowland reportedly said following the incident. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

There are also at least eight witnesses who can testify against Rowland in addition to a video that shows the sheriff looking at the cards the youth group members left at his door, which apparently prompted him to say, “Bull (expletive), get my gun.”

Umm I got nothing.. to serve and protect? Thank God for this righteous American police officer putting 12-year-old girls in their place taping thank you notes to doors..

Umm I got nothing.. to serve and protect? Thank God for this righteous American police officer putting 12-year-old girls in their place taping thank you notes to doors..
Hopefully this moron will be found guilty and serve his 15 to 20 years, and a new sheriff, one with a little more self control, and a little less bigotry, will assume his job.

Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland

Sheriffs can't be fired. They are elected officials. In most places in the US they are the only law enforcement officers that are elected rather than hired. So he would have to resign. There is likely some way to remove a sheriff from office besides that, besides voting them out, especially if they are put in prison, but it likely depends on the state and likely is a hard process. (Seems the magistrate could be involved here, or it could be that they can't do the requested action. I wasn't able to find the laws about removing sheriffs from office in Idaho, if there are any besides relating to voting them out or their death.)

Now, absolutely this guy shouldn't still be in office, but the process itself is likely not as easy as being presented.

Hopefully this moron will be found guilty and serve his 15 to 20 years, and a new sheriff, one with a little more self control, and a little less bigotry, will assume his job.
What bigotry are you talking about?

What bigotry are you talking about?
Did you not read the story? The guy tried to excuse/cover for his bigotry against the particular religious group with different bigotry against Native Americans.

Did you not read the story? The guy tried to excuse/cover for his bigotry against the particular religious group with different bigotry against Native Americans.
You mean the threats made against him by local tribal residents? Clearly the sheriff over reacted, but that's not why you're here. It's the bigotry angle you want to use for your politics. Lefties have become so obvious you can smell it a mile away.

Policing is one job where personal animus towards a group should be a disqualifier.

You mean the threats made against him by local tribal residents? Clearly the sheriff over reacted, but that's not why you're here. It's the bigotry angle you want to use for your politics. Lefties have become so obvious you can smell it a mile away.
Actually, I came onto this thread to correct a misunderstanding about how the office of the Sheriff works in the US. Then I noticed that you posted something that showed you didn't read what was put out, that there are witnesses that said he clearly read the flyers that were being put up by the children and then said "get my gun". And he then tried to excuse/lie about his reasons by making up BS about "drunk Indians". That is bigotry.

Wow, what a horrible dude - it's Idaho though - so...

what threats are those American? He knew these were Mormons and not 'drunk Indians' and he knew that the flyers being placed were thank you cards, because he read them. You just cannot help yourself can you?

Calls for Rowland's resignation have since come from numerous public officials and law enforcement officers.

Although evidence is not presented until a preliminary hearing, Nye informed the court of what he called the state's strong case against Rowland.

According to Nye, the prosecution plans to call on eight eyewitnesses — all of whom provided accounts of the incident that were consistent with each other and corroborated by statements provided by Rowland. The prosecution will also present a video.

The video, Nye said, does not show the incident. Instead, it allegedly shows Rowland stepping out of his home before the incident. In the video, according to Nye, Rowland looks at the thank you card and responds, "Bull (expletive), get my gun."

This piece of evidence, Nye argued, provided the court with reason to mandate a leave of absence for Rowland.

"Any person who responds to that kind of harmless conduct, that is well-intentioned on its base, by equipping himself with a gun and initiating an extremely dangerous and potentially fatal confrontation is a risk to public safety," he said.

what threats are those American? He knew these were Mormons and not 'drunk Indians' and he knew that the flyers being placed were thank you cards, because he read them. You just cannot help yourself can you?

Calls for Rowland's resignation have since come from numerous public officials and law enforcement officers.

Although evidence is not presented until a preliminary hearing, Nye informed the court of what he called the state's strong case against Rowland.

According to Nye, the prosecution plans to call on eight eyewitnesses — all of whom provided accounts of the incident that were consistent with each other and corroborated by statements provided by Rowland. The prosecution will also present a video.

The video, Nye said, does not show the incident. Instead, it allegedly shows Rowland stepping out of his home before the incident. In the video, according to Nye, Rowland looks at the thank you card and responds, "Bull (expletive), get my gun."

This piece of evidence, Nye argued, provided the court with reason to mandate a leave of absence for Rowland.

"Any person who responds to that kind of harmless conduct, that is well-intentioned on its base, by equipping himself with a gun and initiating an extremely dangerous and potentially fatal confrontation is a risk to public safety," he said.
All American reads is "righteous white cop threatened by drunk Indians"

He will have to wait for Foxes positive spin to tell him about it.
I guess if he reads the story and still can't come up with the answer I will be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom