• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Northam: "I'm not going anywhere". Calls slaves, "indentured servants"

The level of hubris is inexplicable. Northam is refusing to leave and in an attempt to kick off his 3-year apology and redemption tour, he sat down with Gayle King-a black woman- and discussed Virginia's history of "indentured servitude".

Ralph Northam interview: Virginia governor tells Gayle King "I'm not going anywhere" in face of calls to resign - CBS News

GOV. RALPH NORTHAM: Well it has been a difficult week. And you know if you look at Virginia's history we are now at the 400 year anniversary, just 90 miles from here in 1619. The first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores in Old Point Comfort what we call now Fort Monroe and while--

GAYLE KING: Also known as slavery.

GAYLE KING: And why you think you still deserve this job and so many people are calling for you to step down?

GOV. RALPH NORTHAM: Well again we- we have worked very hard. We've had a good first year. And and I'm a leader. I've been in some very difficult situations. Life and death situations taking care of sick children. And right now--

GAYLE KING: Because you're a doctor, yes?

GOV. RALPH NORTHAM: --right now, Virginia needs someone that can heal. There's no better person to do that than a doctor. Virginia also needs someone who is strong, who has empathy, who has courage and who has a moral compass. And that's why I'm not going anywhere. I have learned from this. I have a lot more to learn. But we're in a unique opportunity now. Again the 400 year anniversary of the history whether it be good or bad in Virginia to really make some impactful changes--

Right-wing nuts stand behind total racist nutjobs like Steve King and Louie Gomhert. You almost elected a racist pedofile to the US Senate in AL. Clean up your own disgusting house before you start pointing your fingers at others.

Precisely. Beyond the fact that he clearly doesn't understand this issue very well, he's like a child in a man's body. How he's made it this far without already completely fubar-ing something is kind of astounding when you think about it.

This is a tough issue for all Americans. Most of my time in the South was spend farther South than Virginia. But you ran into Southern tropes regarding slavery all throughout the South in my time there. Northam sounds to me like he simply has not as yet distinguished that "The first Africans that arrived in Virginia were accepted into Indentured Servitude" is simply a Southern trope regarding slavery. Most specifically it is a Virginia trope. Does that not sound like just the sort of thing Virginians would have been teaching their children for decades? It is true but an incomplete and an obvious effort at spin to project Virginia in a light that ultimately becomes a left handed lie.

The first Indentured Servants from Africa arriving in Virginia were STOLEN off a slave ship and delivered into Virginia by a ship sailing under a Dutch flag. Over the course of a couple of decades that turned into outright slave trade in America that continued for roughly 250 years and was the cornerstone of a staggering period of racial abuses in this country. Those racial abuses at best have to be viewed as stumbling blocks as we struggled and still struggle to meet the aspirational goals of our Founders. Tack another 100 years of failed Reconstruction onto that which was seeded by unwillingness in some quarters of accepting the result of the Civil War and that brings you to.....CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA in 2017. Do we think that was some sort of accident?

I am being inordinately kind here. You don't want to see me post a more "balanced" and probably more accurate view of what we were doing all those years as I can be pretty terse if not outright caustic when it comes to denials about our American history. Northam as Governor of the State not understanding that he is simply repeating a Virginia trope regarding slavery is just stunning for 2019. I am willing to accept our history. I am just unwilling to deny it. I have heard every possible Southern trope regarding slavery that has ever been concocted and every Northern trope about race relations for that matter. Frankly I am done with that in 2019 particularly after Charlottesville. I am just done with that. Don't want to hear them repeated and I definitely don't want to hear them repeated by high profile political figures in 2019.

My dividing line for political figures in 2019 is whether they are intellectually capable of solving this problem of living up to our aspirational goals or they are intellectually incapable. Does not mean they HAVE TO solve these problems tomorrow. But they at least have to be intellectually capable of solving them. I have little tolerance left for political figures that are intellectually incapable. At the end of the day, its not me that Northam has to answer to. Its the people of Virginia. But he appears to be losing them, albeit slowly.

Right-wing nuts stand behind total racist nutjobs like Steve King and Louie Gomhert. You almost elected a racist pedofile to the US Senate in AL. Clean up your own disgusting house before you start pointing your fingers at others.

#metoo and #believe her if she's accusing a Republican. Got it.

Yes, we were. Absolutely.

Northam’s done a great deal of good over the course of his career/life, no arguing that. Now he’s being called out for an inexcusable act he committed decades ago, and so far he’s handled it about as bad as anyone could.

If Northam remains in office, for the remainder of his term those people who’s support he used to be able to count on will avoid him like the plague and he will be constantly reminded of his sin by the opposition, effectively making him useless.

The best thing he can do for us now is resign.
It's gone so far down Crazy Lane that Northam is being asked if in Lt. Governor should resign. It's like Fairfax has restored Northam's moral authority. The black vote in Virgnia isn't inconsequential.
I won't be surprised if VA Dems back off, given that if they insist Northam step down, then why allow Herring to stay? Take out Fairfax and it's a Republican in the Governors mansion for the next 3 years. I don't think they'll do it.

It's gone so far down Crazy Lane that Northam is being asked if in Lt. Governor should resign. It's like Fairfax has restored Northam's moral authority. The black vote in Virgnia isn't inconsequential.
I won't be surprised if VA Dems back off, given that if they insist Northam step down, then why allow Herring to stay? Take out Fairfax and it's a Republican in the Governors mansion for the next 3 years. I don't think they'll do it.
Northam may survive, but if he does he’ll be severely weakened.

Northam and Herring are not the same. If one is to survive in office I believe it’ll be Herring.

Indentured servitude and slavery were two different things. You would think someone in the kind of trouble he is in would be more careful in his word choice.

What the hell is wrong with him? Why can't he just shut his mouth?

Northam may survive, but if he does he’ll be severely weakened.

Northam and Herring are not the same. If one is to survive in office I believe it’ll be Herring.

Herring called for Northam to resign over blackface. How does Virginia square that if he gets to stay, but the black guy gets the boot?
Look, I think on both the infanticide comments and blackface revelations were completely mishandled by Northam, which makes his comments about being able to "heal" Virginia utterly foolish. He hasn't shown leadership, rather, he's shown self preservation, selfishness and a screwed up system of priorities in which political expediency trumps everything.
Herring hasn't done that, yet, but he has set the standard: you have a history of blackface, you need to resign. Apparently that rule doesn't apply to him though?

Dems are indeed already backing off on the threats to impeach Fairfax because they know if they hold one accountable, they hold them all accountable, and that would put a Republican in office.

Northam, our "healer in Chief" has managed to bungle every attempt to save his ass and just keeps stepping in it.

Technically he was correct, the original Africans brought over in 1619 were indentured servants and were later freed.

Edit: Slavery didn't begin until a couple decades after.

How did they become indentured? To whom did they owe money? Were they given a choice?

Ya gotta hand it to the Dems. They're going to save the 2 white guys and send the black guy down the river.
I actually have hope for VA turning blue again!

It isn't up to "the Dems," it's up to the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the last poll I saw showed that about 60% of black voters there still support Northam. He's Virginia's problem ... everything else is just noise in the form of posturing and pontificating.

Because he's from the south and was born before 1970, hon. I'm telling you, I've been dealing with those guys my whole adult life. It's the way he was raised.

Herring called for Northam to resign over blackface. How does Virginia square that if he gets to stay, but the black guy gets the boot?
Look, I think on both the infanticide comments and blackface revelations were completely mishandled by Northam, which makes his comments about being able to "heal" Virginia utterly foolish. He hasn't shown leadership, rather, he's shown self preservation, selfishness and a screwed up system of priorities in which political expediency trumps everything.
Herring hasn't done that, yet, but he has set the standard: you have a history of blackface, you need to resign. Apparently that rule doesn't apply to him though?

Dems are indeed already backing off on the threats to impeach Fairfax because they know if they hold one accountable, they hold them all accountable, and that would put a Republican in office.
Indeed, Northam has done a terrible job responding to the racist revelations, and for reasons I’ve already posted, he needs to resign.

Regarding the abortion interview, I’ve watched it several times and nowhere in Northam’s remarks is there even the suggestion of infanticide.

As for Fairfax, he is no where near being out of the woods,
Virginia delegate plans to introduce articles of impeachment unless Fairfax resigns
Virginia delegate plans to introduce articles of impeachment unless Fairfax resigns | TheHill

Indeed, Northam has done a terrible job responding to the racist revelations, and for reasons I’ve already posted, he needs to resign.

Regarding the abortion interview, I’ve watched it several times and nowhere in Northam’s remarks is there even the suggestion of infanticide.

As for Fairfax, he is no where near being out of the woods,
Virginia delegate plans to introduce articles of impeachment unless Fairfax resigns
Virginia delegate plans to introduce articles of impeachment unless Fairfax resigns | TheHill
Really? What would his little fireside chat with mom be about then? Failed abortion. Baby is born alive. What's to discuss?

And nope, Dems are already backing off impeachment.

Impeachment Push for Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax Slows Down - WSJ

The Virginia lawmaker who had vowed to launch impeachment proceedings Monday against Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax over two allegations of sexual assault said he isn’t ready to start that process in the House of Delegates.

Hysterically, the Virginia politician who proudly announced that he would file to begin an impeachment process on Fairfax has just as quickly backed off of that this morning.

You just can't make this stuff up. Were I of a mind to be entertained, I could not make the popcorn fast enough for this mess.

It does seem to be settling into a desperate hope that Northam finds a few active brain cells while they investigate Fairfax with Virginia AG Herring hustling to try to build on what for him was a decent start on a road back....the only one of the three that has even managed that much to date.

Beyond that, if I were in Virginia politics I would feverishly be vetting myself using some sort of out of state staff that can tell you where and when you were an idiot in your past. Until then, a goodly number will probably be trying to keep their heads below the grass line.

Wow, aren't you supposed to think in non-binary terms?;)

I just like addressing people correctly and you, due to fear of being found out or for whatever reason you insist on concealing. It's not a deal-breaker for me, just makes it more challenging to communicate with you - but I think you enjoy that - whatever.

But why don't we get back on the subject of the thread or would you rather continue to be a jerk?

I just like addressing people correctly and you, due to fear of being found out or for whatever reason you insist on concealing. It's not a deal-breaker for me, just makes it more challenging to communicate with you - but I think you enjoy that - whatever.

But why don't we get back on the subject of the thread or would you rather continue to be a jerk?

Aw, you need me to tell my sex to put me in a box? Now who's the jerk?

And btw, "buddy" and "babe"...seriously?

You might want to bone up on your pronouns!

ttfn:peace

Aw, you need me to tell my sex to put me in a box? Now who's the jerk?

And btw, "buddy" and "babe"...seriously?

You might want to bone up on your pronouns!

ttfn:peace

And now you've earned my much deserved, "ignore" button. Have a nice life!

Really? What would his little fireside chat with mom be about then? Failed abortion. Baby is born alive. What's to discuss?
Factually and legally, infanticide is the unlawful killing of a baby. Not all what Northam was referring to.

He said that the infant in the scenario question would be made as comfortable as possible, and resuscitation efforts would be made if the parents wished, and afterwards the doctor and parents could discuss options. As infanticide is illegal, obviously it would not be an option for discussion.

And nope, Dems are already backing off impeachment.

Impeachment Push for Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax Slows Down - WSJ

The Virginia lawmaker who had vowed to launch impeachment proceedings Monday against Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax over two allegations of sexual assault said he isn’t ready to start that process in the House of Delegates.
Apparently I missed the latest news on Fairfax. My mistake. He’s still the most likely to be first out of his job IMO.

Factually and legally, infanticide is the unlawful killing of a baby. Not all what Northam was referring to.

He said that the infant in the scenario question would be made as comfortable as possible, and resuscitation efforts would be made if the parents wished, and afterwards the doctor and parents could discuss options. As infanticide is illegal, obviously it would not be an option for discussion.

Apparently I missed the latest news on Fairfax. My mistake. He’s still the most likely to be first out of his job IMO.

That just was this morning.

Regarding infanticide, I'm still not convinced. When Northam- a pediatric neurologist for God's sake- intentionally sidestepped clarifying his comments to pivot to Planned Parentood talking points, I can't know what he meant.
In fact, not clarifying is telling. The $2 million Northam's received from PP notwithstanding.

eta: I was right with you after Northam's comments during the radio interview. Totally on board. Until his follow-up statements. He in no way ruled out infanticide and yes, that is exactly what the public needed to hear him say. He still hasn't cleared the air.

Until his follow-up statements. He in no way ruled out infanticide and yes, that is exactly what the public needed to hear him say. He still hasn't cleared the air.
What statement/s are you referring to? Why is it necessary for Northam to specifically say he rules out infanticide? Why isn’t that (reasonably and rationally) understood without need for clarification?

What statement/s are you referring to? Why is it necessary for Northam to specifically say he rules out infanticide? Why isn’t that (reasonably and rationally) understood without need for clarification?

I think it was important because that claim was what went viral. Northam essentially poured gasoline on Kathy Tran's bonfire. He didn't have the leadership skills to address the bill directly, so he pivoted to a natural birth of a severely malformed baby. OK. He talks about resuscitation. OK. Then he said doctor and mom would have a "discussion". About what?

As if that hot mess of an interview wasn't bad enough, when asked to address what he said, Northam pivoted to PP talking points.

I think Northam and any politician trying to pass these abortion bills need to stop with the stupid and condescending euphemisms and talk frankly. Enough of this b.s. about "women's reproductive health".

Tran didn't seem to be able to even answer questions about medical ramifications and Northam might have even been ignorant about what was in the bill. Let me tell you something- if we are supposed to somehow comprehend killing a baby in the 3rd trimester, there have to be painstaking rules, regulations and criteria, not this sidestepping about not being able to tell a mother what to do. That's not good enough when it comes to ending human life.

Anyway, Northam and the media seem quite happy to shove the abortion issue to the side and focus on some blackface photo from last century. Either way, Northam has shown himself to be all out saving his Governorship. The "God complex" this doctor has shown in having the temerity to assume he can "save" us is gobsmacking.

I think it was important because that claim was what went viral. Northam essentially poured gasoline on Kathy Tran's bonfire. He didn't have the leadership skills to address the bill directly, so he pivoted to a natural birth of a severely malformed baby. OK. He talks about resuscitation. OK. Then he said doctor and mom would have a "discussion". About what?

As if that hot mess of an interview wasn't bad enough, when asked to address what he said, Northam pivoted to PP talking points.

I think Northam and any politician trying to pass these abortion bills need to stop with the stupid and condescending euphemisms and talk frankly. Enough of this b.s. about "women's reproductive health".

Tran didn't seem to be able to even answer questions about medical ramifications and Northam might have even been ignorant about what was in the bill. Let me tell you something- if we are supposed to somehow comprehend killing a baby in the 3rd trimester, there have to be painstaking rules, regulations and criteria, not this sidestepping about not being able to tell a mother what to do. That's not good enough when it comes to ending human life.

Anyway, Northam and the media seem quite happy to shove the abortion issue to the side and focus on some blackface photo from last century. Either way, Northam has shown himself to be all out saving his Governorship. The "God complex" this doctor has shown in having the temerity to assume he can "save" us is gobsmacking.
I’m beginning to think we listened to completely different interviews.

In the one I watched, Northam made no mention whatsoever of anything remotely close to infanticide. He said that the doctor and parents would discuss options. As he was clearly talking about an infant with a life threatening condition, I logically assumed he meant they discuss possible treatments or possibly palliative care.

Maybe his comments would have been better received by many if he hadn’t shifted from earnest, yet compassionate, sounding politician to clinically speaking physician. I actually appreciated the directness of his comments.

Same as I appreciate using the correct terminology “terminating a pregnancy” or “aborting a fetus” over the more inflammatory, and incorrect “killing a baby”.

Back
Top Bottom