• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina Tells Retired Engineer He Can't Talk About Engineering

lol...I'd say that if this unlicensed engineer did testify, the opposition would have no trouble impeaching his credibility.

I'd simply ask, "Do you have a license in engineering."

If he says "No," then I'd tear him to shreds by asking "why?"

There is no good answer, at least none that won't come across as defensive, at the very least: whiny and full of lame excuses--perhaps, he'll even become argumentative and arrogant in his response, which will not sell well to a jury.

In the end, he'd be humiliated on the witness stand, which is a win for the other side. The law actually protects the fool who would be dumb enough to hire him as an "expert."

The insane bs about removing licensing is an attempt to undermine America. It's parroted by useful idiots.

Occupational licensing in general is just downright awful. The whole idea of needing permission from some rotten government in order to work in your chosen field is absurd.
He agreed to help his lawyer son with a case.
Does his son have a license to practice law in N. Carolina? Should he need one?

Occupational licensing in general is just downright awful. The whole idea of needing permission from some rotten government in order to work in your chosen field is absurd.
Yeah, why would anyone need a license?
1624292224875.png

He wanted to testify in court as an expert witness, however, he is not, nor ever has been, a licensed engineer in the state of NC.

This case isn't about him having an engineering conversation with his buddies at a bar. Its about his ekegability to be called on as an expert witness in a major property damage case.

Everything else is hyperbole.
More left wing "people are too stupid" to judge his credentials for themselves nonsense.

More left wing "people are too stupid" to judge his credentials for themselves nonsense.
If the law states that a person requires XYZ certification to be an expert witness in a court of law, then that is what's required.

He isnt holding himself out as licensed engineer...and he absolutely can and did work a full career legally AS an engineer, working for a company with proper license and supervision as allowed in 89C-25

from your cite:
(4) Engaging in engineering or land surveying as an employee or assistant under the responsible charge of a professional engineer or professional land surveyor.
the unlicensed person spoke before the court in his personal, unlicensed capacity and not while under the charge of a professional engineer

being a college graduate with a degree in accounting does not allow someone to express the impact and implications of accounting laws on a person or entity without having become a certified public accountant

that the unlicensed man with an engineering degree affirmed he was not a licensed engineer does not then allow him to make the statements only a licensed engineer could lawfullty make

a law school graduate who has not passed the bar exam is not authorized to represent others in legal matters

a medical school graduate cannot work as a physician until (s)he has been licensed to do so

the licensing requirements are put in place as the final barrier to prevent the underskilled person from inflicting damage upon the public

from your cite:

the unlicensed person spoke before the court in his personal, unlicensed capacity and not while under the charge of a professional engineer

being a college graduate with a degree in accounting does not allow someone to express the impact and implications of accounting laws on a person or entity without having become a certified public accountant

that the unlicensed man with an engineering degree affirmed he was not a licensed engineer does not then allow him to make the statements only a licensed engineer could lawfullty make

a law school graduate who has not passed the bar exam is not authorized to represent others in legal matters

a medical school graduate cannot work as a physician until (s)he has been licensed to do so

the licensing requirements are put in place as the final barrier to prevent the underskilled person from inflicting damage upon the public
The OP is of the opinion that professional licensure is a bad thing. He actually advocates that physicians, dentists, CPAs, and other professionals should be allowed to hang out their shingles to practice in whatever field they choose, regardless of education or qualifications. He also thinks things like building codes are an unreasonable impediment to one's freedom. He and I have discussed these matters on this board.

Lol, if you were the defendant in a case seeking millions of dollars against you, I'm sure you'd be all "let the jury decide his credentials for themselves" about the plaintiff's unqualified witness.

Yeah! Anybody can build a damn bridge. It ain't rocket science. The gub-mint gots no business innerfearing with people doin' what they wanna do.

Some engineering is regulated. When engineering fails, the engineers that signed off on it can be held liable. It's an imperfect system that attempts to protect people from shoddy engineering.

Some engineering is regulated. When engineering fails, the engineers that signed off on it can be held liable. It's an imperfect system that attempts to protect people from shoddy engineering.

Nothing you wrote here has anything to do with the article.

Last edited:
So what? In Oregon, it's a crime to refer to yourself as an engineer unless you are in fact licensed engineer.

We get a lot of mind-boggling OP here, but this one may be the winner for the month.

Agreed. There are a few occupations where *some* licensing is probably a good idea (mostly medical careers), but even there I'd say it's pretty excessive. There's no need for this for an engineer. If he doesn't know what he's doing, no one will hire him.

I am honestly shocked how many people in this thread are defending occupational licensing for stuff like this. Maybe it was naive, but I thought this would be an area where people who follow policy closely would basically agree, whether they were liberal or conservative.

Let this guy be an engineer. Let him talk about engineering, whether in court or anywhere else. People can evaluate his credentials on their own.

Defending regulation for occupational vending is necessary.

A review of such licensing would be good, too.

Defending regulation for occupational vending is necessary.
Why? I mean, I understand for medicine or if he's going to be hired by the state. But why can't employers evaluate this guy's engineering credentials on their own?

It seems to me that most forms of occupational licensing are among the worst and most unnecessary taxes on the poor that the government can require.

Back
Top Bottom