• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina Christian School (receives tax dollars) bars gay students and can kick you out if your sibling is gay.

A valid opinion, but a democracy is decided by votes. And most of the votes said "yes" to vouchers.
Therefore I support it.
There are other laws I don't support, but support that they exist, because I was out-voted.
A democracy means you are going to live in a society where you don't always get what you want.
And NC is a highly gerrymandered state, to the point that it was deemed unconstitutional but they got a court voted in that would simply vote that it really wasn't. Our government is not fair at all, not fairly being voted into office.

A case study of one of the inherent problems with the notion of "vouchers".
Public school vouchers are wrong at every level. Its time to end this grift to private/religious schools. We can't fix the problem with public schools if we are giving the taxpayer money to private schools for a profit and those who violate constitutional protections.

We need to move away from school funding being dependent on local property taxes.
This has been an unsolved issue in Ohio for almost 30 years. The GOP has no intention of addressing it because they benefit from it, just as they refuse to address the gerrymandering despite a voter mandate and numerous court decisions.

Is there a real source for this claim? Or is it just some random guy on twitter?

The LGBTQ+ is supposed to be a protected class, but we've allowed loop holes, and the Christian Right is great at using them. We really need to pay more attention. I don't want my money funding this kind of discrimination. Vote people!!

In Florida, a 2020 Sentinel investigation found that the state’s school scholarship program funneled more than $129 million in public money to at least 156 private Christian schools that refused admission to students who identified as LGBTQ or came from families in which a parent or another family member did. About 14% of the state’s nearly 47,000 scholarship students who used public money to attend private schools put it towards institutions that banned homosexuality.https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-09-01/when-private-schools-take-public-money-but-still-discriminate?embedded-checkout=true

religious schools’ treatment of LGBTQ students to their previous legal attempts to remain racially segregated. “Until the 1980s you saw private K-12 schools and even colleges and universities saying, ‘We don’t want to admit Black students based on our sincerely held religious beliefs.’” Then in 1983, the Supreme Court ruled the IRS was allowed to revoke the tax exempt status of Bob Jones University because it condemned interracial dating and marriage.

“The Court found that civil rights trump religious beliefs,” says Eckes. “We’re seeing this play out again,” she says, only this time, the question is about sex.

A 2020 Supreme Court ruling found that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 covers LGBTQ people, at least at work. But with schools, the court hasn't been as clear. In June, it ruled that the state of Maine had to include evangelical schools in its public voucher program even though one school required teachers it hired to acknowledge that homosexuals were “perverted.” Another, meanwhile, taught students that men were the God-ordained head of the household.

Eckes says the Court focused on freedom of religion rather than students’ civil rights. She says it would take another lawsuit specifically about the rights of LGBTQ students to determine if they have the same protections as LGBTQ workers.

Until that happens, religious schools will be free to expel LGBTQ students — or even straight ones raised by same-sex parents — and still receive public funds. In other words, school choice is not available to everyone.

Is there a real source for this claim? Or is it just some random guy on twitter?
There's the application to actually attend which seems to support not only that they discriminate based on sexuality but also religious beliefs, which actually should be obvious considering they are a Christian (specifically Southern Baptist) school.

Their policies, which would include anyone living in the home that does not meet their standards, not just parents and/or students.

Yes, they discriminate, so should not get government funding. My kids wouldn't be allowed to go to this school merely because I support same sex marriage, gay rights. Also because both their father and I are not Christian, meaning they wouldn't accept our children to their school. But our money goes to their funding, that's BS.

And NC is a highly gerrymandered state, to the point that it was deemed unconstitutional but they got a court voted in that would simply vote that it really wasn't. Our government is not fair at all, not fairly being voted into office.
Oh I don't disagree with that... both parties work together to ensure incumbents keep their jobs.
100% agree with that.

Oh I don't disagree with that... both parties work together to ensure incumbents keep their jobs.
100% agree with that.
No. This isn't "both Parties". This is one Party, the Republican/MAGA Party. If we had a national law that forced all districts to be created based on fair and non-partisan (to the highest extent possible) maps, not relying on already elected officials getting to decide who their voters are, we'd have more fair elections.

Democratic states (some) have already started putting in place more fairly drawn maps, but unfortunately that gives Republicans an advantage because they refuse to budge, to change their cheating ways.

Some of those do exist at that level, and that is why they shouldn't be allowed at K-12, so we need to not have vouchers.
Oh I would say every college in America abuses the system to get government tuition grants/loans. 100%
Also why most major colleges also got BIG into the real estate market to also abuse the system to make outrageous profits in rent.
Those "quad" structures where 4 student live in each pod, all charging $800-$1000/mo.??? That is between $3,200 - $4000 a month for a space no larger than a regular apartment.
NONE of this would be possible without the government paying costs with no strings attached.
Also why tuition is so high.

Oh I would say every college in America abuses the system to get government tuition grants/loans. 100%
Also why most major colleges also got BIG into the real estate market to also abuse the system to make outrageous profits in rent.
Those "quad" structures where 4 student live in each pod, all charging $800-$1000/mo.??? That is between $3,200 - $4000 a month for a space no larger than a regular apartment.
NONE of this would be possible without the government paying costs with no strings attached.
Also why tuition is so high.
And I'm saying you're wrong. While there are certainly reforms in our college system that need to be made, they are not all like that, to the point where the students aren't at least getting a fairly decent education even if paying far too much.

The same thing does not apply to voucher programs.

No. This isn't "both Parties". This is one Party, the Republican/MAGA Party. If we had a national law that forced all districts to be created based on fair and non-partisan (to the highest extent possible) maps, not relying on already elected officials getting to decide who their voters are, we'd have more fair elections.

Democratic states (some) have already started putting in place more fairly drawn maps, but unfortunately that gives Republicans an advantage because they refuse to budge, to change their cheating ways.

Indeed! Going back to the 50's at light speed.

And I'm saying you're wrong. While there are certainly reforms in our college system that need to be made, they are not all like that, to the point where the students aren't at least getting a fairly decent education even if paying far too much.

The same thing does not apply to voucher programs.
You are right, I digress... I have a particular dislike about how colleges are operated.... massive fraud going on.
I learned that when both my kids attended. It was outrageous how much stuff costs, and only reason it does is government creating a false demand.
Well... there I go again.

At any rate - my mind is not settled on vouchers. I understand why there is a need for something like this.
Again, with my two kids. The best elementary school was not in our district. But that is where I wanted them to go, so... I used my position to get clearance for them, and that is where they went. But most people can't do that, so I get why they want a way to get to better schools.

You are right, I digress... I have a particular dislike about how colleges are operated.... massive fraud going on.
I learned that when both my kids attended. It was outrageous how much stuff costs, and only reason it does is government creating a false demand.

At any rate - my mind is not settled on vouchers. I understand why there is a need for something like this.
Again, with my two kids. The best elementary school was not in our district. But that is where I wanted them to go, so... I used my position to get clearance for them, and that is where they went. But most people can't do that, so I get why they want a way to get to better schools.
Except they are being tricked into believing those schools are "better" simply because they are private, and those private schools unfairly get to deny entry to students for reasons that public schools cannot. If people want private schools to be more affordable, they need to take that fight to private schools and those funding the push to give private schools public school funding. Maybe get some of those people who want others to have "a better chance" to actually get together scholarships, grants, etc to give on their own to students to attend those private schools? Don't steal funds from public schools.

I happen to agree with you about private colleges, and how they're gouging Americans like the corporations they are. If you start a thread on this, I'd attend it. :)

My kids did most of their stent at the community college to save $$, and finished up what they couldn't get at the state university. I personally think community college should be included in our tax dollars and free to attend. I'd also like it if they added much needed classes and staff.

I do a lot of work for local/state government, a lot... so... I know people who know people.
I admit it. Lots of folks wouldn't like it, but you do what you do for your children.

So the people you know, that know people, got your kids into a school in a district where you don't live? This is not a "school of choice" scenario where you just got bumped up the waiting list?

I happen to agree with you about private colleges, and how they're gouging Americans like the corporations they are. If you start a thread on this, I'd attend it. :)

My kids did most of their stent at the community college to save $$, and finished up what they couldn't get at the state university. I personally think community college should be included in our tax dollars and free to attend. I'd also like it if they added much needed classes and staff.
Absolutely.
Both of mine went to community college for the first 2 years to get all of the garbage/high school round 2 - classes over, and then went for their majors at state college. No way were we paying $10,000s for classes they didn't need

Back
Top Bottom