• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Party Platform for Republicans in 2020. Do you agree?

What do you think about the new Republican platform

• I approve of there being no party platform

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I don't approve of there being no party platform

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
You seem uniformed. Let me help you out.

One-Hundred-Twenty-Five Amazing Accomplishments of President Donald J. Trump.

One-Hundred-Twenty-Five Amazing Accomplishments of President Donald J. Trump – Frank Report | Investigative Journalism From Frank Parlato

And just this morning I hear about another tax cut from the R's for business and a payroll tax cut to help defund social security and medicare. I hope all you younger republicans are ready to get screwed in your later years.

Yes. They apparently hate each other more than they love our country. Compromise? Only after the other guys do _____. Or, as I've read so many times at DP, why should we be the ones to compromise?

The sad thing today is that compromises means the other side caves in and gives your side 100% of what you wanted. There's not a game of give and take, working things out where each side comes away with something important to them. Sure, there are some issues where no compromise is possible, but there few and far between.

You can bet your bottom dollar if Lott and Daschle were in charge of the senate, we'd have had that second relief bill months ago. Same with Mitchell and Dole. But the current party political leaders to include the presidents, see the other party as this nation's number one enemy, the other party as out to destroy America whereas only your party can save her. While they fight among themselves, this nation goes into decay and rot. Rot from the inside out and rot caused by both major political parties. Only both are way too blind to see what they're causing. Too power hungry I guess.

This pandemic in my opinion should have produced the same unity that flooded this nation after 9-11. It should have produced the president sitting down with all members of congress and working out ways to stop it, to help the people, but they have become way too polarized and way too partisan to even think about the country as a whole.

Instead both want to use the pandemic to blame the other party and to use it either to regain power or retain power. You might as well swing those gates of Rome wide open and let the sacking begin. Neither party wants to stop it. At least not until the election is over.

Another stupid poll that assumes something contradicting the facts. Why am I not surprised by the identity of the OP?

While some have said that the platform is the same as 2016, that's not true. In 2016, the campaign was to renew what was lost. In 2020 the platform is to rebuild from a disaster. Many things are going on in similar areas, but the direction is different. Once again, the economy needs work, but for a very different reason. Foreign policy is now focused on the threat countries--Russia, China, Iran--instead of on trade negotiations. Health care is a work in progress with an intractable opponent, so that has not changed, but we now have the coronavirus. The Swamp is still there, but the emphasis on reducing regulation is less. The Wall is another work in progress against opposition, but the level of illegal immigration has dropped sharply, and Mexico paid for a lot of it. The emphasis on filling empty judgeships is no longer high. That job is in the wrap up stages.

Many planks of the platform are familiar, but they have been planed, shaped and repositioned. Some are gone, replaced by new ones. It's a work in progress, but there has been progress.

The sad thing today is that compromises means the other side caves in and gives your side 100% of what you wanted. There's not a game of give and take, working things out where each side comes away with something important to them. Sure, there are some issues where no compromise is possible, but there few and far between.

You can bet your bottom dollar if Lott and Daschle were in charge of the senate, we'd have had that second relief bill months ago. Same with Mitchell and Dole. But the current party political leaders to include the presidents, see the other party as this nation's number one enemy, the other party as out to destroy America whereas only your party can save her. While they fight among themselves, this nation goes into decay and rot. Rot from the inside out and rot caused by both major political parties. Only both are way too blind to see what they're causing. Too power hungry I guess.

This pandemic in my opinion should have produced the same unity that flooded this nation after 9-11. It should have produced the president sitting down with all members of congress and working out ways to stop it, to help the people, but they have become way too polarized and way too partisan to even think about the country as a whole.

Instead both want to use the pandemic to blame the other party and to use it either to regain power or retain power. You might as well swing those gates of Rome wide open and let the sacking begin. Neither party wants to stop it. At least not until the election is over.

Yes, this pandemic should have produced unity. I've consistently posted that blame-gaming accomplishes nothing and that we need to pull together and have been hammered for it. Neither party, however counterproductive, is willing to give an inch, and I don't think any of them give a damn about this country. I really don't.

I dont know what to tell you. Youre clearly looking at the wrong document.

This is 2016 platform

Here is this year's (2020) platform.

I can do no more that show you both. I do not know what you are looking at but these are the "official" party platforms for these two years

Here is the "official" party platform as stated on gop.com (official Republican party website}

As Adopted by the Republican National Committee
Paid for by the Republican National Committee
Not Authorized By Any Candidate Or Candidate's Committee
RESOLUTION REGARDING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM
WHEREAS, The Republican National Committee (RNC) has significantly scaled back the size
and scope of the 2020 Republican National Convention in Charlotte due to strict restrictions on
gatherings and meetings, and out of concern for the safety of convention attendees and our hosts;
WHEREAS, The RNC has unanimously voted to forego the Convention Committee on Platform,
in appreciation of the fact that it did not want a small contingent of delegates formulating a new
platform without the breadth of perspectives within the ever-growing Republican movement;
WHEREAS, All platforms are snapshots of the historical contexts in which they are born, and
parties abide by their policy priorities, rather than their political rhetoric;
WHEREAS, The RNC, had the Platform Committee been able to convene in 2020, would have
undoubtedly unanimously agreed to reassert the Party’s strong support for President Donald
Trump and his Administration;
WHEREAS, The media has outrageously misrepresented the implications of the RNC not
adopting a new platform in 2020 and continues to engage in misleading advocacy for the failed
policies of the Obama-Biden Administration, rather than providing the public with unbiased
reporting of facts; and
WHEREAS, The RNC enthusiastically supports President Trump and continues to reject the
policy positions of the Obama-Biden Administration, as well as those espoused by the
Democratic National Committee today; therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the
President’s America-first agenda;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a
new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention calls on the media to engage in
accurate and unbiased reporting, especially as it relates to the strong support of the RNC for
President Trump and his Administration; and
RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including
any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.

Yes, this pandemic should have produced unity. I've consistently posted that blame-gaming accomplishes nothing and that we need to pull together and have been hammered for it. Neither party, however counterproductive, is willing to give an inch, and I don't think any of them give a damn about this country. I really don't.

I'd say you're correct. When party leaders put their country ahead of the nation, both party leaders do so, you get exactly what we have today.We have the two major parties fighting each other tooth and nail while this country falls apart instead of uniting to take on the outside force, the pandemic which is eating away at this country's heart and soul. I like you, I believe both major parties don't give a big pile of doo doo about this country as a whole or even if it falls. They're only interested in gaining power over a very weaken and divided country for whatever time is left.

I'd say you're correct. When party leaders put their country ahead of the nation, both party leaders do so, you get exactly what we have today.We have the two major parties fighting each other tooth and nail while this country falls apart instead of uniting to take on the outside force, the pandemic which is eating away at this country's heart and soul. I like you, I believe both major parties don't give a big pile of doo doo about this country as a whole or even if it falls. They're only interested in gaining power over a very weaken and divided country for whatever time is left.

I don't want to abandon all hope, but I've no idea what can be done. :(

That chasm you speak about was here long before Trump. He may have widen it. I think it began in the 1990's and was enhanced when Reid, McConnell and now Schumer took over leadership roles in the senate. You know full well Daschle and Lott, Mitchell and Dole, even Byrd and Baker wouldn't even have dreamed of using the nuclear option, let alone being the first one to use it setting a precedence for future use.

I think this all started with the Hastert rule and went from there, it got bad under Bush, pretty darn bad under Obama and is now a danger to this nation under Trump. I would say this polarization and mega, ultra partisanship had it's beginnings in the 90's. Certainly not the 1980's as Reagan and Tip O'Neal were legends of working together with the art of compromise and playing the game of give and take. I believe sanity still reigned in the senate with Daschle and Lott, but Hastert sowed the seeds and they bloomed very fast in the House. Then Reid and McConnell brought those full grown plants into the senate.

My opinion anyway. I also think Trump is a result of what proceeded him in this modern political era of polarization, mega, ultra high partisanship. Biden had a long history as a senator working across the aisle and many forget that it was Biden as VP who worked out the compromise with McConnell over the debt ceiling shutdown. I would say that Biden should bring some sanity back to Washington. How successful he will be working with this new breed of Republicans in congress remains to be seen. The old guard of GOP'ers, Biden would have been plenty successful. So we'll see.

Like you I don't see this era of polarization and partisanship ending anytime soon. The longer that continues, the faster we'll become a has been nation.

Regardless, I still think platforms are useless.

You are severely underestimating the massive roll Gingrich played in the ultra partisanship we see today. In fact, I'd argue he was the one that started it.

This is 2016 platform

Here is this year's (2020) platform.

I can do no more that show you both. I do not know what you are looking at but these are the "official" party platforms for these two years

Here is the "official" party platform as stated on gop.com (official Republican party website}

As Adopted by the Republican National Committee
Paid for by the Republican National Committee
Not Authorized By Any Candidate Or Candidate's Committee
RESOLUTION REGARDING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM
WHEREAS, The Republican National Committee (RNC) has significantly scaled back the size
and scope of the 2020 Republican National Convention in Charlotte due to strict restrictions on
gatherings and meetings, and out of concern for the safety of convention attendees and our hosts;
WHEREAS, The RNC has unanimously voted to forego the Convention Committee on Platform,
in appreciation of the fact that it did not want a small contingent of delegates formulating a new
platform without the breadth of perspectives within the ever-growing Republican movement;
WHEREAS, All platforms are snapshots of the historical contexts in which they are born, and
parties abide by their policy priorities, rather than their political rhetoric;
WHEREAS, The RNC, had the Platform Committee been able to convene in 2020, would have
undoubtedly unanimously agreed to reassert the Party’s strong support for President Donald
Trump and his Administration;
WHEREAS, The media has outrageously misrepresented the implications of the RNC not
adopting a new platform in 2020 and continues to engage in misleading advocacy for the failed
policies of the Obama-Biden Administration, rather than providing the public with unbiased
reporting of facts; and
WHEREAS, The RNC enthusiastically supports President Trump and continues to reject the
policy positions of the Obama-Biden Administration, as well as those espoused by the
Democratic National Committee today; therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the
President’s America-first agenda;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a
new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention calls on the media to engage in
accurate and unbiased reporting, especially as it relates to the strong support of the RNC for
President Trump and his Administration; and
RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including
any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.

That is not the 2020 platform. Its missing 66 pages.

You are severely underestimating the massive roll Gingrich played in the ultra partisanship we see today. In fact, I'd argue he was the one that started it.

That's fair, but I put the blame on the Hastert rule as the beginning. Gingrich was fired for not being hard enough on Bill Clinton and the Democrats. Hastert came in and changed the House rules. But either one is fine. Gingrich didn't change house rules, Hastert did to make the house much more partisan.

Give me a link to the other 66 pages

Its in the link you referenced and i referenced 100 times. For some reason posting it crashes the forum. gop.com at the bottom, theres a link that says Republican Platform.

Its in the link you referenced and i referenced 100 times. For some reason posting it crashes the forum. gop.com at the bottom, theres a link that says Republican Platform.

I have read about 5 different articles. I did find one article where it says that the decided to adopt the same platform as in 2016. Nonetheless, all the other articles say differently.

Here is one of those articles

The Platform the GOP Is Too Scared to Publish

Republicans have decided not to publish a party platform for 2020.

Here is another

and another

RNC 2020: The Republican Party now the Party of Trump

Chalk this up as one more example of how the Republican Party has become the Party of Trump.

Instead, the delegates gathering for the limited in-person convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, passed a one-page resolution stating that they weren't going to have a new platform, but instead the party "has and will continue to enthusiastically support the president's America-first agenda".

Adopting the 2016 platform is just "noise". They are not looking at supporting the 2016 platform. Their agenda for 2020 is to support Trump above everything else.

I have read about 5 different articles. I did find one article where it says that the decided to adopt the same platform as in 2016. Nonetheless, all the other articles say differently.

Here is one of those articles

Here is another

and another

Adopting the 2016 platform is just "noise". They are not looking at supporting the 2016 platform. Their agenda for 2020 is to support Trump above everything else.

I understand your opinion. I was just correcting the facts. There IS a platform. Just not a new one.

Back
Top Bottom