• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Party Platform for Republicans in 2020. Do you agree?

What do you think about the new Republican platform

• I approve of there being no party platform

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I don't approve of there being no party platform

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
Having a platform allows a person to have specific goals and if the leaders do not follow them then you have a clear reason to criticize them for not keeping their promises. Here is the Democratic platform

In the case of the Republicans, not having a platform other than support Trump and beat the enemy means that you cannot hold the leaders responsible as there is nothing they need to stand for except fighting the enemy. That means the leader can do anything HE wants and does not need to be accountable for anything that goes wrong. Right away and if Trump loses the election, he has failed and that also means the Republicans have absolutely nothing they stand for except fighting the enemy and the problem then exists that the enemy is ourselves, our own country.

This is against everything we have ever stood for and what our ancestors stood for. This is no longer a nation but a cesspool of fighting. You, as the Republican party, criticize the BLM riots, then it is hypocritical because the party platform is supporting fighting the Democrats and it supports it officially.

I don't know about you but is fighting within ourselves is what you support and promote? Are you proud of having a goal of destroying your neighbor who is also a citizen of your country simply because they have goals different than yours?

If that is the case, then you are not a person that has any value. You don't fight to be a better person but fight to destroy.

Hmm, let's think logically....

Trump = Four more years of watching Fox, OANN, rage tweeting, rudderleess federal government, cut taxes, spend wildly, drive us deeper, kill Social Security, privatize the remains of government, abandon all international alliances. Ignore the environment. Ignore the virus, cuz it'll just "go away", and let more Americans die....

Biden = Actually adress COVID-19.... Legal corporate corruption (business as usual pre Trump), raise taxes to generate revenue to begin digging out. Expand healthcare, try to repair world leadership role, basically follow the rule of law (even if it does allow for this sea of lobbying which stinks). Adress the environmnet and cleaner energy.... Things look a lot more like they did in 2015, not wonderful, but not apocalyptic.....

Looks like a grim picture either way to me, but at least with Biden, someone picks up a shovel and tries to start filling in the hole. I'll take it, being as it's my only alternative....

Voting for Trump is like standing inside a dumpster fire and reaching for a can of gasoline to try and put out the flames with. End the Payroll tax? Hopw do you think seniors will like Social Security ending by 2023? :shock:

Ever since I can remember, both parties have put out a party platform when an election is coming. A party platform explains in detail that the party is all about, what the goals are, and what important issues are supported and sought.

This year, the Republicans did not put out a platform other than "Support Trump".

As such, the platform is what Trump wants it to be. If he changes his mind on abortion, the Republicans will support it. If he changes his mind on fiscal responsibility, his supporters will support him. If he changes his mind on free individuals in a free society, his followers will support him, if he changes his mind on women's rights, his supporter will support him, if he changes his mind on veterans, on the inalienable rights, his supporters will support him. This is the first time ever where the Republican Party is no long Republican but Trumpian, supporting one man and not any principles other than what that one man wants.

Here are some of the party platforms from the past.

What do you think about this?

Are you in agreement with no party platform? Do you think this is a good or bad thing? will it make Trump win or lose the 2020 election?

No one reads the platforms and no one cares outside of those writing it. It's no big deal. Even when a platform is written, once elected the president does what he wants to do anyway regardless of what's was in the platform. It gets totally ignored.

As for Trump and the GOP, Trump doesn't stand for anything other than himself. He basically has no political ideology or philosophy. He's changed his views on most issues as many times as he has switched parties which has been 7 times. Since no one knows what Trump stands for, outside of himself, not having one makes perfect sense.

It's good, since everything government touches turns to crap. No platform means not turning anything else into crap. My hope is that Trump wins and spends every day on the golf course.

Hopefully, he can build on the hundreds of thousands of deaths from a pandemic, double digit unemployment, a record deficit and the racial conflict that have brought us this far.

No one reads the platforms and no one cares outside of those writing it. It's no big deal. Even when a platform is written, once elected the president does what he wants to do anyway regardless of what's was in the platform. It gets totally ignored.

As for Trump and the GOP, Trump doesn't stand for anything other than himself. He basically has no political ideology or philosophy. He's changed his views on most issues as many times as he has switched parties which has been 7 times. Since no one knows what Trump stands for, outside of himself, not having one makes perfect sense.

Normally, there is diversity of thought among party members. They come together at a convention and produce a party platforms that reflects the ideas and principles that hold them together and project their shared vision.

I understand that people don't dealing with diversity, but a party bringing its membership under the banner of one man, wherever his ideas might be, is taking this dislike to a rather startling extreme.

The thing about writing a platform is that it is officially what the people in the party stands for. It allows people to judge today, tomorrow, next month and next year whether those goals are being fought for and accomplished. Like I said in the OP, it allows Trump to change his mind (which he often does) and that means everyone has to go along. It means the party stands for nothing other than to support one man. You don't believe in abortion? Well, if Trump suddenly gets someone pregnant and he feels she needs to abort the baby and changes his mind, you need to change yours too. This can be said about everything the Republicans have believed in for decades. To have your beliefs stand on the shoulders of one man, and a man that has proven himself to stand for nothing other than money, you suddenly are no longer in a party but in a cult.

As such, I disagree with you that it is meaningless. A platform is a way to make a person accountable for his action. When someone is not accountable, he can do anything HE wants without thinking about what is best for the party.

As such, you are now officially in a cult and no longer a party.

Normally, there is diversity of thought among party members. They come together at a convention and produce a party platforms that reflects the ideas and principles that hold them together and project their shared vision.

I understand that people don't dealing with diversity, but a party bringing its membership under the banner of one man, wherever his ideas might be, is taking this dislike to a rather startling extreme.

Personally, in my long life I know of no one who ever took the time to sit down and read either party's platform. Even the media stopped covering them a long time ago. Perhaps they get mention in a 30 second segment.

They mean nothing. The GOP is now Trump's party, just like the Democratic Party was Obama's when he was president and so on on back. Whoever is president, his party belongs to him and most of the rest of his party's members try to please him and give him everything he wants.

No party platform, no big deal to me. It's a relic of the past anyway when the parties were much more diverse, at least politically. There was a time when both major parties had their conservative wing, their liberal wing and a bunch in-between. Not anymore. The Republican Party is almost totally all conservative, the Democratic Party almost all liberal, those in-between have all become independents not affiliating with either party.

filing this under "lets harp on everything we possibly can, whether it matters or not, or whether it's true or not"

that file is HUGE, btw.

It is not about the party. It is about trump

The RNC was a joke. Democrats are responsible for all the problems of the current republican administration... good luck with that nonsense. Just how gullible is their base? No platform = no plan as we have continued to see from Trump and the republicans. Democrats bad is the message which, if anything, sounds like a surrender, because it admits weakness if you are the one in power yet can't have an effect on the competition. Just like everything else about Trump, it's not thought out, and they use immediately provable lies to cover his ineptness. Despicable. Flush this idiot who is only concerned about himself and maybe his family and go with someone more mentally stable and with an actual plan for 2024. What a **** show.

Personally, in my long life I know of no one who ever took the time to sit down and read either party's platform. Even the media stopped covering them a long time ago. Perhaps they get mention in a 30 second segment.

They mean nothing. The GOP is now Trump's party, just like the Democratic Party was Obama's when he was president and so on on back. Whoever is president, his party belongs to him and most of the rest of his party's members try to please him and give him everything he wants.

No party platform, no big deal to me. It's a relic of the past anyway when the parties were much more diverse, at least politically. There was a time when both major parties had their conservative wing, their liberal wing and a bunch in-between. Not anymore. The Republican Party is almost totally all conservative, the Democratic Party almost all liberal, those in-between have all become independents not affiliating with either party.

They probably have more meaning for Democrats, as they have various factions, particularly moderates and progressives, who disagree to varying degrees on policies and principles.

But you are right that it serves no purpose for Republicans as they brook no dissent. You are for one man, or you are out. With Trump opposed to free trade and balanced budgets, calling Republicans conservatives might not be accurate anymore. A party that turns itself over to one man and banishes any and all who disagree with him, might be better described as illiberal.

This lack of platform is significant because it declares to the world that they no longer stand by principles or ideas, but have capitulated to the needs and interests of one man. That is quite a statement to make in a liberal democracy.

Ever since I can remember, both parties have put out a party platform when an election is coming. A party platform explains in detail that the party is all about, what the goals are, and what important issues are supported and sought.

This year, the Republicans did not put out a platform other than "Support Trump".

As such, the platform is what Trump wants it to be. If he changes his mind on abortion, the Republicans will support it. If he changes his mind on fiscal responsibility, his supporters will support him. If he changes his mind on free individuals in a free society, his followers will support him, if he changes his mind on women's rights, his supporter will support him, if he changes his mind on veterans, on the inalienable rights, his supporters will support him. This is the first time ever where the Republican Party is no long Republican but Trumpian, supporting one man and not any principles other than what that one man wants.

Here are some of the party platforms from the past.

What do you think about this?

Are you in agreement with no party platform? Do you think this is a good or bad thing? will it make Trump win or lose the 2020 election?

No NEW platform you mean. They voted to use the 2016 platform because making a new one was a waste. Does it matter. These docs are meaningless. Do you think anyone reads it besides official and media?

Link to the platform and resolution adopting is here. Site wont let me link direct to it.

GOP announces no new 2020 platform, party to '''enthusiastically support''' Trump agenda | Fox News
\
The Republican National Committee issued a resolution stating that due to constraints on the size of this year's Republican National Convention, it will not be adopting a new party platform, leaving in place the one from 2016.

The resolution says the platform committee would have agreed to continue supporting President Trump and his administration but did not want to have a small group draft a new platform for the party.

An official party platform would have been nice.

OTOH, platforms sometimes tend to be confusing documents that show signs of having been hammered out by committee and lacking any coherence.

Trump 2nd term agenda is a pretty good set of goals - concise and coherent - most of whose planks poll solid majorities.

The GOP Platform is just whatever emotional thing that Donald Trump needs to do to feed his ego.

That's it. That's the Platform.

An official party platform would have been nice.

OTOH, platforms sometimes tend to be confusing documents that show signs of having been hammered out by committee and lacking any coherence.

Trump 2nd term agenda is a pretty good set of goals - concise and coherent - most of whose planks poll solid majorities.

It's fascinating that it can't be the GOP platform, but that it must all belong to one man.

No NEW platform you mean. They voted to use the 2016 platform because making a new one was a waste. Does it matter. These docs are meaningless. Do you think anyone reads it besides official and media?

Link to the platform and resolution adopting is here. Site wont let me link direct to it.

A party platform that abandons principles and policies and capitulates to one nan is a very instructive one.

The thing about writing a platform is that it is officially what the people in the party stands for. It allows people to judge today, tomorrow, next month and next year whether those goals are being fought for and accomplished. Like I said in the OP, it allows Trump to change his mind (which he often does) and that means everyone has to go along. It means the party stands for nothing other than to support one man. You don't believe in abortion? Well, if Trump suddenly gets someone pregnant and he feels she needs to abort the baby and changes his mind, you need to change yours too. This can be said about everything the Republicans have believed in for decades. To have your beliefs stand on the shoulders of one man, and a man that has proven himself to stand for nothing other than money, you suddenly are no longer in a party but in a cult.

As such, I disagree with you that it is meaningless. A platform is a way to make a person accountable for his action. When someone is not accountable, he can do anything HE wants without thinking about what is best for the party.

As such, you are now officially in a cult and no longer a party.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But the platforms get ditched right after the election. They entered the realm of campaign promises. They mean nothing and everyone expects them to be broken. Even the media, when a president does keep one, the media is shocked.

Actually, both major parties are cults in the way each follow their leaders like mindless robots. Whether it's the GOP following Trump or the Democrats following Pelosi and Schumer, it's all the same. When Obama was president, the Democrats followed him lock step just like most Republicans are doing today with Trump. The Republican referred to Obama's avid followers as Obamabots. I suppose the phrase Trumpbots applies today to his followers.

The free thinkers are now independents or what is known as swing voters.

They probably have more meaning for Democrats, as they have various factions, particularly moderates and progressives, who disagree to varying degrees on policies and principles.

But you are right that it serves no purpose for Republicans as they brook no dissent. You are for one man, or you are out. With Trump opposed to free trade and balanced budgets, calling Republicans conservatives might not be accurate anymore. A party that turns itself over to one man and banishes any and all who disagree with him, might be better described as illiberal.

This lack of platform is significant because it declares to the world that they no longer stand by principles or ideas, but have capitulated to the needs and interests of one man. That is quite a statement to make in a liberal democracy.

In my opinion the Republican Party ceased long ago being the party of Traditional Conservatives. Just like the Democrats aren't the party of the classic liberals anymore. They morphed. I do disagree with your statement that the Democrats are made up of moderates and progressives. They have been busy getting rids of their moderates. It does seem to me that both parties have litmus tests these days.

If you belong to either party, your ideology is about the same as the rest in the party and you probably fail to see your party getting rid of moderates or perhaps I should call them blue dog democrats. It wasn't a month or two ago a couple of pro life democratic congressmen were primaried out. So being pro life is a reason to expel them. It's getting the same way with being a pro second amendment democrats. The get out signs become numerous. I used these as examples because it seems you are more or less a democrat. But the GOP does the same.

The above is one reason independents have grown from 30% of the electorate in 2006 to 40% today. Neither party abides descent. There's a price to be paid for anyone disagreeing with the party's leadership be it Trump, Pelosi or Schumer these days. The all inclusive party is a thing of the past, the big tent has folded. My view of things anyway. But members of both parties fail to see this. I suppose in today's modern political era of polarization, mega, ultra high partisanship, it is to be expected.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But the platforms get ditched right after the election. They entered the realm of campaign promises. They mean nothing and everyone expects them to be broken. Even the media, when a president does keep one, the media is shocked.

Actually, both major parties are cults in the way each follow their leaders like mindless robots. Whether it's the GOP following Trump or the Democrats following Pelosi and Schumer, it's all the same. When Obama was president, the Democrats followed him lock step just like most Republicans are doing today with Trump. The Republican referred to Obama's avid followers as Obamabots. I suppose the phrase Trumpbots applies today to his followers.

That is not hardly the point. To have the audacity to not even present a 2020 platform and instead present their list of resolutions is not only politically arrogant but politically absurd as well. They have exposed themselves as no longer a Political Party. Instead they are a cult of personality. You don't even have to read between the lines of that list of resolutions. They are flat out telling you, proudly proclaiming their cult of personality. If there was any doubt before last night, there is no longer any doubt now.

So, for those that think they might want to vote for a second term of Trump, don't kid yourselves, you are voting for the cultists cult leader. If you are fine with that.....I can't stop you. Just don't kid yourself that you are voting for governance or even a recognizable political agenda. You are voting for a cult.

Here is the official platform for 2020. You tell me if it is the same as in 2016

https://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/415888-no-party-platform-republicans-2020-do-you-agree-2.html#post1072509884

Here is the one for 2016

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL%5B1%5D-ben_1468872234.pdf

They are nowhere near the same. They could have copied the one from 2016 and named it 2020 but they didn't. 95% of the 2016 platform is gone and what is there that wasn't in 2016, is the stated support for everything Trump himself does. It is a statement of blind support for Trump and not for anything else.

Officially there is, as of June 10, 2020, and you are simply lying, as usual and as expected.

This is why the Republican Party doesn’t need a platform. Their voters think there is one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In essence, what you are telling me is that we should never expect people to do what they say they are going to do. That words and statements are useless, right?

Wow, what a way to run a country...............hope for the best but expect nothing and do nothing to make it happen!

The GOP has the idea that this is bad, because they have claimed that they only did this because the virus prevented them from meeting, but clearly no one believes it.

The GOP has the idea that this is bad, because they have claimed that they only did this because the virus prevented them from meeting, but clearly no one believes it.

Donnie prevented them from meeting. You want to blame the early federal response to COVID on being "surprised" by the virus, OK I can squint my eyes and almost buy that one. But the summer surge of the virus is all on Donnie Boy. You want me to buy that the COVID attack was a surprise in Feb and March? OK, I will play along. But by not having built up the bulwarks sufficiently or at all by May, clearly Donnies responsibility, he literally compelled the summer surge. Heck if I was religious enough to believe it I might claim that Trump invoked it from a mountain top.

In essence, what you are telling me is that we should never expect people to do what they say they are going to do. That words and statements are useless, right?

Wow, what a way to run a country...............hope for the best but expect nothing and do nothing to make it happen!

He is fairly correct. Party platforms became the forgotten aspect of party conventions at the state and federal levels.

However, party platforms can lead to more indication of where any given legislator or executive stands on an issue during times of increased polarization and uniformity among partisans (which we have now). It’s just that party platforms haven’t evolved to that yet.

As Frank Luntz recently discovered, It is also true that it is difficult for Republicans to answer what they are for when they are practically forcing themselves to follow the whims of the President.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is the official platform for 2020. You tell me if it is the same as in 2016

https://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/415888-no-party-platform-republicans-2020-do-you-agree-2.html#post1072509884

Here is the one for 2016

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL%5B1%5D-ben_1468872234.pdf

They are nowhere near the same. They could have copied the one from 2016 and named it 2020 but they didn't. 95% of the 2016 platform is gone and what is there that wasn't in 2016, is the stated support for everything Trump himself does. It is a statement of blind support for Trump and not for anything else.

Why does the America First agenda feel like Trump First? Because that's exactly what it is. An uninformed winging-it style of decision making that revolves around ego, and any attacks on that ego, no matter how justified.

Back
Top Bottom