• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No $4,500 Electric Car For You!

Good article regarding how the rotten, progressive regulatory state makes us all worse off.
Car insurance lobby. Buying both sides. Don't try to pretend it's just the left responsible.

Part of the 55mph mandate was due to old American cars crushing little Japanese cars in accidents at freeway speeds. Injuries cost insurance companies profits. Especially catastrophic ones.

Personally I would love to see an "m2" (no freeway) class for cars like there is for motorcycles. We already allow golf carts on the road in California. And they ain't safe at all.

"Eric Peters is a Libertarian gearhead, columnist and author." Why should I pay any attention to that?
He made some good points in the article. I don't agree with a lot of his views I'm sure, but I can still find value in individual points he makes.

He made some good points in the article. I don't agree with a lot of his views I'm sure, but I can still find value in individual points he makes.

But we've got a boy-who-cried-wolf situation here. How can I trust that he'll give me a decent argument, especially with the trash comment in the OP?

But we've got a boy-who-cried-wolf situation here. How can I trust that he'll give me a decent argument, especially with the trash comment in the OP?
I didn't trust that he would. I expected something a lot worse than what I read. I didn't agree with a lot of what he wrote, but it was worth reading and there were some points I thought were well founded.

Car insurance lobby. Buying both sides. Don't try to pretend it's just the left responsible.

Part of the 55mph mandate was due to old American cars crushing little Japanese cars in accidents at freeway speeds. Injuries cost insurance companies profits. Especially catastrophic ones.

Personally I would love to see an "m2" (no freeway) class for cars like there is for motorcycles. We already allow golf carts on the road in California. And they ain't safe at all.
Here also, side by side ATVs are allowed on surface streets with a municipal permit. If the relevant municipality chooses to grant them. Problem I've seen is that some municipalities charge in excess of what a state registration costs for a standard auto. Add that to the 20,000 plus cost of many of those SUVs, and they've turned it into just another expensive toy. My understanding is the state will NOT allow a town to extend the same consideration to an electric golf cart.

I was looking into the matter when my Mom was still in her own house. She hadn't driven her car outside the limits of her smallish rural town in several years. Something like a weather protected golf cart, or a vehicle like in the article would have made perfect sense for her trips to the grocery, etc. But not an SUV that costs more than the little car she had. When she moved into assisted living, that car was 5 years old and had less than 7000 miles.

"Eric Peters is a Libertarian gearhead, columnist and author." Why should I pay any attention to that?
Why should you pay attention to arbitrary labels? Hear what the guy says; if it's wrong, disagree and move on. If it's right, agree and move on. If you simply don't like it (or him), shut up and move on.

All paying attention to a label (and advertising it) does is prove bias.

I don't like Tesla because I find the fans complete adoration of Musk really odd.
They see him like a techy Jesus and even his most oddball and failed technologies are treated like relics.

I love trains but Hyperloop is not going to work and Musk wasn't even the first to think of the idea it's a very old concept he just put his name on it.

By all means, all DOT and EPA standards on cars must be eliminated so we can import Chinese cars. Who needs seatbelts and airbags anyway, nor side impact braces, and all the wasted money on crash testing perfectly good cars. I don't know what the evil government has any safety regulations about anything. Eliminate all of those and we could get all sorts of cheap dangerous crap from China - and then all Americans can just live off monthly checks for the government.

All Xi Jinping need do is call Biden and order him to let in Chinese made cars exempting them for USA standards and I'm certain Biden would do it. He has no choice to do whatever China says or China could put out a death warrant for his son's mega bribery and go public with the info they have on President Biden's personal involvement in selling out the USA in trade negotiations and tariffs with China.

Maybe I should start a poll on this:

Should the USA exempt and allow importing Chinese made cars by exempting Chinese made cars from US safety, environmental and other regulations - plus China's essentially exemption for any civil liability lawsuits - because Chinese cars are cheaper?

I agree with a lot of that article's criticisms of Tesla. Their cars are a total scam.
The most valuable car company in the world? I disagree.

Not a Tesla fan and think the big manufacturers are who will capture the EV market and soon.

That said, comparing Tesla to some 1500 pound Chinese POS death trap is is an absurd comparison. Why not argue that a child's EV toy car is vastly superior to a Mercedes McLaren because of how much more the McLaren costs?

Range 75 miles - which means 40 if you're lucky.

The most valuable car company in the world? I disagree.
Yeah, most "valuable". If everyone liquidated their shares right now we would see how much "value" there was to go around.

Portillo does seem impressed with Tesla’s operations, giving them credit for growing sales, the autonomous driving features and the company’s small stationary power storage business. “Don’t get us wrong, we think Tesla has done an amazing job of building a world class business in a number of segments,” writes the analyst. Still, he calls the stock “fundamentally overvalued,” believing that Tesla would need to ship about 8 million cars that have the ability to drive themselves in cities by 2030 to justify the current stock price. That’s “a tough ask,” according to the analyst.

I don't like Tesla because I find the fans complete adoration of Musk really odd.
They see him like a techy Jesus and even his most oddball and failed technologies are treated like relics.

I love trains but Hyperloop is not going to work and Musk wasn't even the first to think of the idea it's a very old concept he just put his name on it.
I think it's that Musk is not a Lib so they hate him.
His relationship with the Climate Change Nazis is a kin to the Atlas Shrugged story.
Elon has "CREATED" a lot of Wealth, and is helping to reduce oil/gas consumption and Pollution !
Exactly what the DEM's say they want to do, yet the don't support him ???....
They want to pretend like they are doing some thing of importance about climate change... but not so much.

Good article regarding how the rotten, progressive regulatory state makes us all worse off.
Yes requiring cars to be safe in an accident is so rotten. Who cares if it has cut highway deaths by 70%. Dying is good, actually.

Michael Lemov on How Regulation Cut the Highway Death Rate By Seventy Percent

The 1966 auto safety law has saved 600,000 lives.
The highway death toll has dropped from roughly 50,000 deaths per year in the 1960s to roughly 30,000 deaths per year today.
The death rate has dropped from 5.5 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles travelled in the 1960s to 1.1 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles travelled today.

The death rate has been cut by over 70 percent.

https://www.corporatecrimereporter....ut-the-highway-death-rate-by-seventy-percent/

And if your aunt had testicles she'd be your uncle...
Hey, they could be trans!

Regardless, TSLA is one of the most obviously over valued assets right now. It's objectively speculative. For their stock price to make sense they would have to sell more cars than the top two car manufacturers combined.

Hey, they could be trans!

Regardless, TSLA is one of the most obviously over valued assets right now. It's objectively speculative. For their stock price to make sense they would have to sell more cars than the top two car manufacturers combined.
There is a difference between being overvalued and being a scam imo...

There is a difference between being overvalued and being a scam imo...
They literally lied about the capabilities of their cars, and after customers bought cars they are changing it so you need to use the face ID system to operate with "self driving".

They literally lied about the capabilities of their cars, and after customers bought cars they are changing it so you need to use the face ID system to operate with "self driving".
Car sales people lying about their product? Bring me a couch, I feel faint...

Back
Top Bottom